Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded lump...

• 19-04-2013 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

While giving the dog a good scratch, I found what every owner of an elderly dog dreads - a rather large lump. It's on his side, about an inch in diameter, and its not on his skin, rather underneath it. He has long fur, so it's hard to get a look, but there is no redness that I can see, and my partner just said he noticed him nibbling at the area earlier.

I've given it a good feel, it rolls quite freely under the skin and seems much wider than it is raised. Like I said, there doesn't appear to be any redness, and he shows no signs of distress or pain as I press, roll and pinch it gently.

He's booked in for Monday morning, so I suppose I will know eventually - just looking for a bit of assurance I guess :(

He's only just turned 9.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

The most common type of lump found on older dogs are benign fatty lumps, obviously no one can tell over the Internet but odds on this is what he has! Best of luck in the vets, keep us updated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hope he's ok, try not to worry too much, it could be lots of things, cyst or there's a fatty deposit thing an elderly dog we had when I was small got (can't remember name) but it was there for the last four years of his life and was harmless.
    We kids called it his jelly spot as it was softish and you could squeeze and move it slightly, never bothered him, infant as it was on his belly he loved all the extra tickles.

Fingers crossed for Monday.x

Sillymangox said what I meant, typing slow today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

mymo wrote: »
    Hope he's ok, try not to worry too much, it could be lots of things, cyst or there's a fatty deposit thing an elderly dog we had when I was small got (can't remember name) but it was there for the last four years of his life and was harmless.
    We kids called it his jelly spot as it was softish and you could squeeze and move it slightly, never bothered him, infant as it was on his belly he loved all the extra tickles.

Fingers crossed for Monday.x

Stressed to the max, Shadow has never had a sick day in his life!! It sounds just like you describe though, very soft, feels like I am rubbing a water balloon under his skin! Hopefully it's nothing, I like to fantasize that he has another good 9 years in him yet! :(

Yep, that's what our fellas was like.
    Hopefully that's all it is, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The most common type of lump found on older dogs are benign fatty lumps, obviously no one can tell over the Internet but odds on this is what he has! Best of luck in the vets, keep us updated!

My wee lad has lived with one of these ^ for the last 8 years or so (he's 16.5 yo) with no problems.

Best of luck op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Well they are called lipomas if you want to do some googling, they feel as if they are detached from the body most of the time, like just sitting under the skin and they are kinda like ye have described, squishy jellyish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

1.618 wrote: »
    My wee lad has lived with one of these ^ for the last 8 years or so (he's 16.5 yo) with no problems.

Best of luck op.

Thanks, that's reassuring! We're looking to start a family soon and I'd be devastated if my kids never got to meet my best friend :(

Edit: SillyMangoX, just had a look and it seems very likely alright! I'll take him just to be sure (someone could tell me I'm imagining it and I would believe them just to put my mind at ease!) but it fits the description very well.

Definitely get it checked out, to be sure.

Thanks for name sillymangox, was going nuts trying to remember!

Advertisement