Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What has happened to all the small commercials?

Options
  • 19-04-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a small commercial vehicle ( a car van)
    Last time round I was looking at the following:
    VW Golf
    Ford Focus
    Toyota Auris

I went for the auris, but this time, I'd like something different.
    But now I see that VW and Ford have discontinued commercial golfs and focuss' respectively.
    Whats going on ??

The auris is still available, but I want a change.
    Ford now offer the fiesta and kuga in commercial. But these quite small and quite large.
    The smallest commercial vw do is the caddy, but this is more of a small van, than a car van.

Any tips, hints or suggestions on what car vans are currently available and represent good business value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Kia ceed or its sister the hyundai i30 both come as commercials with 3 or 5 doors.
    New focus is a 5 door van or if ya have lots to spend on a small van the mini estate !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Car derived vans were probably purely created for tax purposes, so now when motortax on cars is actually lower than on commercial car-derived vans, no one wants them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

when you could register a commercial for 50 euro vrt it made sense, now that its done on vehicle type a lot of manufacturers dont bother making carvans just for Ireland, considering theyd attract the same vrt as the passenger model now, its cheaper to buy a larger (caddy / transit connect / berlingo ) type van.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

A lot of them were converted in Ireland and it was easy enough register them.
    Now they all have to be EU type approved which is more involved.

CiniO wrote: »
    Car derived vans were probably purely created for tax purposes, so now when motortax on cars is actually lower than on commercial car-derived vans, no one wants them.

VAT back on purchase, VAT back on diesel.....still decent tax purposes to justify one for business use..... the motor tax difference was peanuts for car derived vans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

You can still get golf vans brand new I don't know if there only mark 6s thought. You can get the astra or focus in 5 door version now and the estate type astra van but that looks more like a van than a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Am sure I seen a VW Commercial 131-SO-???? a couple months ago.

CiniO wrote: »

As RJ said its more about the 23% vat you get back when you buy the van new. The motor tax never really made any difference. Also you pay benefit and kind on a car which quite high you pay none on a commerical car van.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭afishyfish

when you could register a commercial for 50 euro vrt it made sense, now that its done on vehicle type a lot of manufacturers dont bother making carvans just for Ireland, considering theyd attract the same vrt as the passenger model now, its cheaper to buy a larger (caddy / transit connect / berlingo ) type van.
    I didn't know this.
    Is this true? Would a car van (a vw golf van for example) now be subject to the same VRT as a regular vw golf?

If so, what about SUV's?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

afishyfish wrote: »
    I didn't know this.
    Is this true? Would a car van (a vw golf van for example) now be subject to the same VRT as a regular vw golf?

If so, what about SUV's?

the VRT rate is decided by what they come out of the factory as (either an N1 commercial or M passenger vehicle)

thats why theres no more commercial range rovers, x5's etc.. as the VRT is the same as the passenger , some manufacturers (landrovers N1 discovery, hyundai's N1 i30 etc..) are stamped as commercial at the factory so can avail of the lower VRT rate.

you can still convert a golf etc.. to a commercial for tax reasons after its VRT'd , but the price difference between the passenger and commercial would be tiny, and the passenger model might even have cheaper tax.

• Advertisement

Bpmull wrote: »
    ..........Also you pay benefit and kind on a car which quite high you pay none on a commerical car van.

If you use the commercial car derived van type yoke for private use you do, 5% of original value per annum.

RoverJames wrote: »
    If you use the commercial car derived van type yoke for private use you do, 5% of original value per annum.

I didn't know that now.

Bpmull wrote: »
    I didn't know that now.

If you were paying BIK on a €60k ish one you would :pac:

the VRT rate is decided by what they come out of the factory as (either an N1 commercial or M passenger vehicle)

thats why theres no more commercial range rovers, x5's etc.. as the VRT is the same as the passenger , some manufacturers (landrovers N1 discovery, hyundai's N1 i30 etc..) are stamped as commercial at the factory so can avail of the lower VRT rate.

you can still convert a golf etc.. to a commercial for tax reasons after its VRT'd , but the price difference between the passenger and commercial would be tiny, and the passenger model might even have cheaper tax.

Thanks for that. Would you know of any reference that lists those available N1 vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Thanks for that. Would you know of any reference that lists those available N1 vehicles.

Probably have most of that info in work, I'll have a look on Monday.

Hyundai iPro (i30 3 door) looks the best value at the moment. Autos models in stock are Aura models so a bit on the pricey side. New Focus van is fairly pricey even for the base model.

Golf Van is MK6 and there are only a few left in stock. No MK7 yet and may take a while.

Astra van has a very nice load area system, but no one seems to want them.

Auris and Focus are deffo 200 VRT, would need to check the others.

Thanks Ror. Would appreciate that info on monday.
    Was just about to report on the focus. 18 k for the base. 19 for the edge. (Alloys, air con. Fog lights added)

Would hate to buy a mk6 golf this late in the day. Waiting on the vw rep to call me back here.

Update. He called. He has no idea if/when a golf van will appear.

The new focus is looking good. Great mpg.

Focus is defiantely €200 VRT. Looking at the price list, it seems that the only difference is A/C in the Edge, and it's cheaper to upgrade the stereo.

Auris Van is also €200 VRT. Aura model is the only one in stock and has Climate Control
    and a full buklhead. €18,495 ex. Works is the retail price.

Hyundai iPro has an ex. Works retail of €16,995 and VRT at 13.3%. Has Bluetooth, Cruise, Fogs, leather steering wheel & LED Running Lights. Shame they didn't go the whole hog and stick on the alloys from the promo pics.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Focus is defiantely €200 VRT. Looking at the price list, it seems that the only difference is A/C in the Edge, and it's cheaper to upgrade the stereo.

Auris Van is also €200 VRT. Aura model is the only one in stock and has Climate Control
    and a full buklhead. €18,495 ex. Works is the retail price.

Hyundai iPro has an ex. Works retail of €16,995 and VRT at 13.3%. Has Bluetooth, Cruise, Fogs, leather steering wheel & LED Running Lights. Shame they didn't go the whole hog and stick on the alloys from the promo pics.

Thanks Ror. Much appreciated. The hyundai has plenty of extras to weigh its case. But the high vrt element is a pity.

In your opinion what's the best buy from above.

Also, when you say

Hyundai iPro has an ex. Works retail of €16,995 and VRT at 13.3%.

Is the 16995 inclusive of vrt or subject to an additional 13.5% ?
    Sorry for asking a stupid question. I should know this.

Also, when you say

Hyundai iPro has an ex. Works retail of €16,995 and VRT at 13.3%.

Is the 16995 inclusive of vrt or subject to an additional 13.5% ?
    Sorry for asking a stupid question. I should know this.

The retail price includes the VRT.

Why does the higher VRT cause an issue?

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    The retail price includes the VRT.

Why does the higher VRT cause an issue?

In that case; it doesn't.
    Thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 farmerboy

Hi, Does anyone know if a citroen nemo van is 200euro vrt or 13.5%. Any help would be great:confused:

Advertisement