Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

StubbsGazette

Options
  • 19-04-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Someone owes a relative of mine a sum of money (a few thousand, I think). So far I believe my relative has got various court judgements against the debtor, and probably had solicitor's letters sent, but has had only limited success.

Is it worth using StubbsGazette in some way to chase the debts? How do they work? Has anyone used them? Would you recommend them?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jd80

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Someone owes a relative of mine a sum of money (a few thousand, I think). So far I believe my relative has got various court judgements against the debtor, and probably had solicitor's letters sent, but has had only limited success.

Is it worth using StubbsGazette in some way to chase the debts? How do they work? Has anyone used them? Would you recommend them?

Has he actually obtained a Court Judgement or not?

If so, he can register the judgement in the Courts

Theses are picked up by publications like Stubbs Gazette

Not too sure if they pick up on any judgements in the District or circuit Courts or just the High Court

I am sure you could inform them

Anyway, just to avoid doubt Stubbs gazette will not 'chase' the debtor

Plus, in my opinion if the person who owes the debt is a private individual, printing in Stubbs means 'diddly squat'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stubbs' Gazette just take your money and write a letter to the debtor making vague threats using their name to intimidate him (that's the theory) but as they are not a party to the situation, any fool can see that it's just an empty threat.

If your relative already has a court judgement then he needs to send in the sheriff to seize goods, isn't that typically the next step?

Sounds like the process has gone beyond the threatening letter stage.

coylemj wrote: »
    Stubbs' Gazette just take your money and write a letter to the debtor making vague threats using their name to intimidate him (that's the theory) but as they are not a party to the situation, any fool can see that it's just an empty threat.

If your relative already has a court judgement then he needs to send in the sheriff to seize goods, isn't that typically the next step?

Sounds like the process has gone beyond the threatening letter stage.

I think the letter writing is another (paid) service of Stubbs apart from printing it in the Gazette

Anyway, you would be better writing it yourself

Engaging the Sheriff assumes a judgement has been obtained, but again if it is a private individual, 9 times from 10 the sheriff will come back with nulla bona - no goods

What is the situation ?

private debtor or company?

Judgement(s) obtained or not?

Just because you have a judgement does not mean you will get paid

Stubbs used to be an information service owned by Dunn & Bradstreet, they published lists of people against whom judgements had been obtained.

The Irish rights to the name appears to have been bought by a local debt collection agency...

For many years StubbsGazette was owned by the international credit rating agency Dun and Bradstreet until BusinessPro purchased the worldwide rights to the publication in 2008. The rationale behind the purchase was compelling: Business Pro was already the country’s premier independent credit bureau and the new publication was a natural fit. The power of the Stubbs brand was quickly leveraged with the formation of StubbsGazette debt collection, a new debt recovery service.

So nowadays they will write a letter demanding payment to your mother if you pay them €27.45.

http://www.stubbsgazette.ie/demand_letters

For a moment there, i thought you were going to say the Viper bought it ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Thanks people. In answer to questions: it's a private debtor they're chasing. I don't know the exact nature of court judgements — will have to ask.

I was originally asked to look into 'listing' the debtor in Stubbs — how does that work, and is it effective?

When I then looked at their website I saw their various debt pursuance services, and am wondering if they are worth using.

I was originally asked to look into 'listing' the debtor in Stubbs — how does that work, and is it effective?

They get automatically listed in Stubbs' when the judgement is handed down, it's not something that you can initiate yourself i.e. you can't just go and get someone 'listed' because he's refusing to pay the debt, you have to get a judgement in court.
    When I then looked at their website I saw their various debt pursuance services, and am wondering if they are worth using.

The local (xxxx.IE) website is just a debt collector who has paid to use the Stubbs name to intimidate people with vaguely threatening letters. Frankly I'd say using them would be a waste of time, the letters will go in the bin.

To be quite frank with you, you don't sound like you're fully up to speed with what's going on here. You said 'I believe my relative has got various court judgements against the debtor' and then you talk about solicitors' letters and listing him in Stubbs. The fact is that if a judgement has already been obtained then you are gone well beyond the point of writing solicitors' letter and the guy will already have been list in Stubbs' so all of your questions are moot.

Advertisement