Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casting weights

Options
  • 19-04-2013 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just getting gear together in anticipation of some shore fishing (spinning mostly) at some stage and was wondering about casting feathers. I have a Shimano Catana CX300 H. 3m rod with casting weight 20 to 50 grams . Could I cast using a 2oz bomb lead without damaging the rod, or would I be pushing my luck?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

If you're going fishing for mackerel I'd be inclined to buy a cheap beachcaster if possible rather than make sh1te of your spinning rod :)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

I dont think you will catch much this time of year with feathers but, you never know.
    i have the same rod and i mostly use it for salmon fishing on the moy.
    i have to tell yea i sometimes find it tough casting a 50g jumping jack any distance.
    50g is only 1.7 ounces so i would have to say no. as far as i know you
    can get the Shimano Catana in a 3 meter 70g or 80g weight. if the rod is new you could try to exchange it for the next one up.
    i think there both the same price anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Thank you both. I suspected it was not a good idea for the good gear. As it's only in case I might feather for mackerel in Summer, I have ordered a cheaply cheap Mitchell surf rod and reel combo that casts 50 to 15O gm. Might never use it but no harm having in in the arsenal.

Advertisement