Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting of apartment unit

Options
  • 19-04-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

I live in a block of duplex apartments in a large development. I pay €80 in property management fees which covers the usuals like communal bins, parking, maintenance etc. The management commitee is made up of residents rather than a management company.

In the last few years the unit below my apartment (which is the back of a shop) has become affected by what appears to be settling cracks, they are extremely unsightly and are bad enough now to affect the value of my property.I have contacted the management committee to request that they paint these units as I know a portion of the fees I pay each month go towards a painting fund yet so far in the 7 years I have paid none of the units in my area have been painted when it is badly needed at this stage. I have noticed other units around the development have been painted and some landscaping work has been done so I feel that this is not right as I feel I'm paying my fees to improve other areas within the development.
    Anyway the committee told me that the cracks are only cosmetic and said they have no immediate plans to paint this area.

My question is, do I have any comeback here? I'm going to ask to attend the next committee meeting to have my say but Im just wondering first if anyone has had any similar experiences like this and what the outcome was?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Normally an apartment complex would be repainted every 5-6 years. Its entirely normal for cracks to appear in a new building for the first 10-12 years, and when the building is being repainted, they would normally be filled in at that stage. You can try and speed up the repainting schedule and get some cosmetic work done on the buildings, if you like- normally you'd take a vote on it at the company's AGM, if its outside of a regular upkeep schedule. If you decide to go down this road- other owners will probably have their own wish lists too- parking spaces repainted, landscaping improved, extra security etc- it really is going down a slippery road- and while things like this will improve the place for everyone- they cost money. At the moment, you're paying well below the odds for your management fees, taking refuse collection into account- so just be aware by making demands you are going to pay more...........

Advertisement