Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING :Free electrical collection tomorrow

Options
  • 19-04-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I got a leaflet, or photo copy of one that a recycle collection is taking place tomorrow between 8-10.
    There was no phone number , just a email ????@mail.com
    they said they would take, well everything motorbikes, kids bikes all you had to do was leave them inside your garden.:rolleyes:

So maybe be careful what you leave in your garden between the times of 8-10 if you don't want it taken, that includes your moterbike:eek:
    Your kids bikes, clothes , mobile phone, pots/pans. laptops, Quads etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sounds strange - so they'll take anything from inside gardens? Usually you're asked to leave that sort of stuff outside on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Yeah no contact number. ? Yet they offer to help lift heavy stuff .
    Your asked to leave items inside the garden gate ? So really anything in your garden can go.now not everyone is lucky enough to have. A side gate, combine that with a. 1 year old , and a ten year old aka go-kart, scooter, football , skates , skateboard. .my poor hubbie spent the evening tidying it all away.locking it up .I mean will take moterbikes , just leave them in your front garden ? Where else would you leave them if your in a terraced house. ???
    I don't know .worlds gone mad :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cathy01 wrote: »
    So maybe be careful what you leave in your garden between the times of 8-10 if you don't want it taken, that includes your moterbike:eek:
    Your kids bikes, clothes , mobile phone, pots/pans. laptops, Quads etc.
    ......and child carseats!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Ive seen that kind of scam before
    People leave their gear outside to be taken awya and a certain group of people come along ,pick the best out of it and leave everything else there until the owner cops on that theyre not coming back
    Maybe im wrong but if it was fingal there would have been a proper notice about it

Ive seen that kind of scam before
    People leave their gear outside to be taken awya and a certain group of people come along ,pick the best out of it and leave everything else there until the owner cops on that theyre not coming back
    Maybe im wrong but if it was fingal there would have been a proper notice about it

I was told Fingal don't give out licence anymore.clubs used to do it but as its electriacal you need a special licence .could be wrong, it happened once before , have any of yous meet My daughter Aoife :-))))))

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

cathy01 wrote: »
    it happened once before , have any of yous meet My daughter Aoife :-))))))
    Why Cathy, does she do her own collections?

Why Cathy, does she do her own collections?

Em, no, that was the last time I was wrong, DATE WISE: rolleyes:
    :D

Haha, I see! I bet you pay more attention to dates now ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Just to reiterate this warning!
    We got no flyers in Balrothery re this but some charmers in a white van tried to take my young fella's bike from inside my front garden, they were stopped but insisted they'd a right to take it.
    Anyway bike still here (along with my 6!) so all's well that ends well but keep an eye out and be careful...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

RobFowl wrote: »
    We got no flyers in Balrothery re this but some charmers in a white van tried to take my young fella's bike from inside my front garden, they were stopped but insisted they'd a right to take it.
    Anyway bike still here (along with my 6!) so all's well that ends well but keep an eye out and be careful...

"insisted they had a right to take it"??? --> Now that's a tad of a worry. Was it because you were home that you were able to interact with them? What did they say?

This is such a weird thing...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

sNarah wrote: »
    "insisted they had a right to take it"??? --> Now that's a tad of a worry. Was it because you were home that you were able to interact with them? What did they say?

This is such a weird thing...

A friend was there and just said no to them, had to be quite insistent though. Was an obviously good condition kids bike too, and at the front door.

They said they'd notified they were collecting and that anything left in the garden was obviously for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

They said they'd notified they were collecting and that anything left in the garden was obviously for them...

Is this even legal? I mean if I posted something through someones door saying "car collection tomorrow, any cars left in driveway will be removed" I couldn't just rock up in a tow truck and take the car.

I actually can't believe people are brazen enough to do something like this. If they were actually trying to offer a useful service where people could get rid of stuff then they should have posted out tags or stickers that people could place on the items to be collected.

The whole situation just seems strange, has anyone reported this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I presume you called the Guards with all details? Seeing as they're quite likely to have nicked a fair bit of stuff under this ridiculous cover story.

MYOB wrote: »
    I presume you called the Guards with all details? Seeing as they're quite likely to have nicked a fair bit of stuff under this ridiculous cover story.

I actually rang the Garda when I got the leaflet.
    Gave the details that was on it.
    Im not sure it did any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

I got a leaflet in the door last year from these chancers. I'm in Skerries.
    I phoned the council as I knew it was illegal. Half of the stuff they take will end up being dumped at the side of the road after they have finished stripping it for metal etc.
    The lady in the council said she would send an inspector out on the morning of the collection. Sure enough the council spotted them driving around in a mustard coloured van. The chancers saw the council van and drove out of the estate.
    The lady in the council phoned back and said they got pictures and the reg of the van and that they will be prosecuting. Anyway, less than an hour later the mustard van was back in the estate taking the rest of the stuff that was left behind,

Seriously, one neighbour left out a fridge, another left out old TV's, lamps, a huge sewing machine. I can't believe that people fall for the leaflet and think it is a genuine wee collection.
    Anyway these people are so brazen they will take anything left in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

I got a leaflet in the door last year from these chancers. I'm in Skerries.
    I phoned the council as I knew it was illegal. Half of the stuff they take will end up being dumped at the side of the road after they have finished stripping it for metal etc.
    The lady in the council said she would send an inspector out on the morning of the collection. Sure enough the council spotted them driving around in a mustard coloured van. The chancers saw the council van and drove out of the estate.
    The lady in the council phoned back and said they got pictures and the reg of the van and that they will be prosecuting. Anyway, less than an hour later the mustard van was back in the estate taking the rest of the stuff that was left behind,

Seriously, one neighbour left out a fridge, another left out old TV's, lamps, a huge sewing machine. I can't believe that people fall for the leaflet and think it is a genuine wee collection.
    Anyway these people are so brazen they will take anything left in the garden.

Actually saw that leaflet but scrapped it. Would say it was these lads that took both the kids bikes around this time last year. Our whole road has kids who leave bikes out on the pathway all the time, well used to, until last year!

Advertisement