Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious how this scam would work

Options
  • 19-04-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a text saying
    CONGRATULATIONS, YOUR MOBILE NUMBER HAS JUST WON FOR YOU 1,000,000POUNDS IN THE ONGOING FREE MOBILE PROMO. FOR CLAIMS CONTACT US VIA EMAIL:

So do they excpect me to mail them (gmail address) and then they'd just ask for my bank account details? Or have they some other method?

Was from an English mobile number.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

419 scam, they'll ask for 400 quid to process the winnings sent by western union money transfer or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

400 in exchange for a million? Sounds like a good deal to me. :)

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 janiceross

I wonder if they're the same scammers. I got a text message similar to that. It said:

"Congrats. You won 1,000,000 on the drawing no: #2112 Please email us to claim your prize: fruklot18@gmail.com Transaction no: 1AE76."

The sender's number was 447964745021. I'm not sure if it's a valid phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

janiceross wrote: »
    One thing I know, though, is that the text messages was a scam.

Ya reckon :rolleyes:

Advertisement