Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep on their back.

• 19-04-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Can someone tell me what causes sheep to go on their back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not sure, but it's dangerous for them, and they'll die if left on their backs too long. I've uprighted a good few on my hillwalking trips over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

A non "shorn" or "defleeced" sheep who trips could be the reason. Actually it probably is the reason. A sheeps fleece can often weigh as much if not more than the animal itself at this stage.

What to do? Turn it over!!!!Don't leave it there. If you're worried about the welfare of the animal, contact the farmer first.Then go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I remember I righted a sheep while walking in England once. She was understandably extremely wobbly on her legs when she got up, but as soon as she was, two tiny lambs immediately appeared from behind a stone barn and started suckling on her quite vigorously, which toppled her over again, luckily not squashing them. So my wife then had the job of keeping the lambs away while I righted the mother again, and waited until she was stable enough to let them loose on her again.

Advertisement