Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bicycle/car accident

• 19-04-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

What is the process to follow,for a cyclist knocked off their bike by a car. I have their insurance details. Do i get a claim form from their insurance company and lodge it with them .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you have suffered any injury you are required to report it to the Gardai. If you are uninjured you should report it regardless. It puts you in a stronger position if things get sticky later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭horse7

Have reported to the gardai, but do i get a claim form from their insurance company and lodge it with them .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

horse7 wrote: »
    Have reported to the gardai, but do i get a claim form from their insurance company and lodge it with them .

Just ring the insurance co. and they will take it from there.

If you suffered no personal injuries but just material damages would you not try to settle with the driver first? It may be a lot quicker that going via insurance.

(Except of course if the driver indicated that he/she wished you to go to their insurance company).

The driver is obliged to inform their insurance company that they have been involved in an accident. If the haven't, the insurance company will contact the Gardai to see if it has been reported. Hence the importance of reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭horse7

Will of course try and resolve with the motorist,but if they are are unwilling to compensate for the doctors visit and wheel damage,i shall have to proceed on a different route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Report to the gardi first - it puts you in a much better position to do something about it!

Will of course try and resolve with the motorist,but if they are are unwilling to compensate for the doctors visit and wheel damage,i shall have to proceed on a different route.
    Assuming the motorist was "in the wrong" they would be very foolish to be unwilling to refund a GP visit fee and wheel repair/replacement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

sorry, posted here by mistake. I meant to start a new thread. Lock it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Call the insurer get a claim number from them/ go to your GP.

Only use a solicitor if you need one, it doesn't sound like you've really established that yet.

Solicitors are people who know how to use the processes of the legal system. Not wizards.

Get a medical assessment from your GP and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

If you suffered no personal injuries but just material damages would you not try to settle with the driver first?

Never bother to do this. (Sorry Ash!) Be it on a bike or in a car etc.

It's an Irish thing to not involve insurance companies. No claims bonus crap and all that.

You and them pay a lot of money to be insured. Use it. What do you or them bother paying for?

Plus, people can be right pr1cks after the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

sorry, posted here by mistake. I meant to start a new thread. Lock it up.

Zombie thread guys, locking it up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement