Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do in this situation? (fight or excuse)

• 20-04-2013 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Situation-->

7:20am today morning - visibility 100% sun up, dry road. me driving up dame street, actualy Lord Edward str. very slowly. honestly about 30-40kmh no more for sure. enjoying the ride, when out of nowhere from left side, please note that is a single lane road --> taxi driver overtooked me speeding like a mad (again from left side), he was extremly close to my handlebars, and ****, he scared the **** out of me, he was driving silver Skoda Octavia with slightly damaged back. I was in shock, actualy i was panicnking like a small kid, as i almost lost control, who would expect that? i was driving in the middle of the lane so there was not really space for doing that. anyway

when i realized what happend i didnt think for a moment and i decided to ask the man why the **** is he overtaking me in signle lane and from left.

next lights - christchurch red, he in D Q.. i went next to his car trying to talk to him when he opened his car door straight and wanted to jump on me saying he is gonna shoot me down. i closed his door with a punch and i was about to smash his head against his car, when the light went green and we had to move on. public bus behind us and few more cars aroudn and i wasnt feeling like get arested for this wanker.

he ****ed my day, honestly reading pappers --> all the accidents and injuries. wtf was he thinking.

would you report him or kick his ass? or just leave it and drive away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

So you were just about to enroll in a proper fistfight with heads banging of car doors and the lot when the two of you realized the light had turned green and how terribly rude it would be not to move on and so you did possibly muttering 'sorry 'bout that'.

that sounds quite funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Boskowski wrote: »
    So you were just about to enroll in a proper fistfight with heads banging of car doors and the lot when the two of you realized the light had turned green and how terribly rude it would be not to move on and so you did possibly muttering 'sorry 'bout that'.

that sounds quite funny

yup it may sound funny but it wasnt. the man didnt even bother to open window. he opened the car door straight. took of the seat belt when i punched the door - i was still on the bike. then green light went on and we moved. thats all. it was mather of seconds.

Sorry but the moral part here is that he almost caused me to fall down for no reason.

and i missed the point where you saying what would you do in the same situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

honestly, sorta sounds like you weren't watching your mirrors.

can only harp on about looking after yourself and act like everyone else is gonna kill you on a bike.

in that situation, you weren't hurt, not worth the hassle, wouldn't have even bothered tapping his window... may have filtered in front of him and drove off hard tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I know it wasn't funny and I understand your anger. The way I read it it had a certain Monty Python quality to it though.

With some drivers it seems the more idiotic their driving the more aggressive their response if anyone dares to point their bad driving out to them. I know it makes my blood boil, but luckily enough there aren't too many of them. You're better off to leave it alone. You wouldn't know what someone in such a road rage may be capable of.

kaimera wrote: »

can only harp on about looking after yourself and act like everyone else is gonna kill you on a bike.

in that situation, you weren't hurt, not worth the hassle, wouldn't have even bothered tapping his window... may have filtered in front of him and drove off hard tho!

you sound about right. i didnt see him coming at all but who woudlnt think that anyone will overtak me on single lane, and from wrong (left) side. maybe i overreacted i can agree here with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Bikerguy wrote: »
    yup it may sound funny but it wasnt. the man didnt even bother to open window. he opened the car door straight. took of the seat belt when i punched the door - i was still on the bike. then green light went on and we moved. thats all. it was mather of seconds.
    Sorry but the moral part here is that he almost caused me to fall down for no reason.
    and i missed the point where you saying what would you do in the same situation.
    I would be very angry too if I had your experience, and your reaction was understandable. But do I understand that you over-reacted, punched his door and used unparliamentary language? Will he say that he felt threatened? Will there be charges pressed on both sides? Will it be your word against his? Will it be, best-case scenario, you both get a rap from the beak, worst case, however unlikely, you get the rap and he gets off? Will you both be losers? Any independent witnesses? Only you can answer those questions. You were there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I hate to generalise but the attitude and carry-on of a lot of taxi drivers is downright appalling particularly to vulnerable road users like bikers. I nearly got wiped out by a taxi who did an illegal U-turn without indicating or even checking his mirrors. This was a week after another was literally 3 feet from my back wheel in traffic. When I gestured calmly for to him to pull back, he first got closer, then undertook me and proceeded to roll down his window and abuse me. This behaviour seems to double at weekends when rules of the road seem to go out the window and whole cities become taxi playgrounds IMO.

Boskowski wrote: »
    I know it wasn't funny and I understand your anger. The way I read it it had a certain Monty Python quality to it though.

With some drivers it seems the more idiotic their driving the more aggressive their response if anyone dares to point their bad driving out to them. I know it makes my blood boil, but luckily enough there aren't too many of them. You're better off to leave it alone. You wouldn't know what someone in such a road rage may be capable of.

i knew there was something wrong with that guy, who is opening the car door when someone is gonna talk to them. he didnt even bother to pull down the window, he wanted jump on me straight without even knowing what i wanna say. but at the end of the day, i will have to relax and be more carefull. i should have taken his details and maybe report him. the next person could be you, who will put in danger by this wanker. it was really out of the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

kaimera wrote: »

I pride myself on my observation but recently, I was rumbling along and next thing a bike cop zipped right past me. I got the fright of my life:o You can only redouble your efforts to expect the unexpected...

feargale wrote: »
    I would be very angry too if I had your experience, and your reaction was understandable. But do I understand that you over-reacted, punched his door and used unparliamentary language? Will he say that he felt threatened? Will there be charges pressed on both sides? Will it be your word against his? Will it be, best-case scenario, you both get a rap from the beak, worst case, however unlikely, you get the rap and he gets off? Will you both be losers? Any independent witnesses? Only you can answer those questions. You were there.

here is exactly what i said: "listen do you think that overtaking in single lane and from left is normal?" i punched his door when he opened them and took of his seat belt trying to jump on me screaming he is gonna shoot me down. i didnt use any bad language at any point.

i am sure there is cameras over the place that could confirm his behavior and his mistake made overtaking me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Raise left boot, line boot up with drivers offside wing mirror, accelerate, ride off into the sunset with a smile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Pedro K wrote: »
    Raise left boot, line boot up with drivers offside wing mirror, accelerate, ride off into the sunset with a smile.

Or wear MotoX boots with steel toe caps, great for leaving 10 foot scratches down the sides of cars :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

It gets you no where only worked up, and not thinking straight as you ride.

Use you horn to alert him to you presence as he passes.

Report dangerous drivers to the Garda.

Punching doors is any number of criminal offences, from your story the taxi driver commited none. He is just one of the many terrible taxi drivers around the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I think your reaction is totally understandable. Being passed on the wrong side is really annoying and on a single lane road, you wouldn't do it on a bike to a car. So this taxi guy is totally in the wrong, no question about that.

Dealing with it however... I usually find it very counter productive to talk to bad drivers. They drive like that for a reason - they lack compassion and decency. I really don't think we can change an individual like that with a short exchange thru driver-side window at a junction. Also then there's the risk of that person being completely bat-sh1t-insane, or might be running from or hiding a bigger crime. In short, we might have more to lose than them. So unless you are with a bunch of bikers who can carefully block and pull him over and give him a proper lesson (non-violent of course), I wouldn't bother. Having said that I have spoken to cage drivers thrice in last two years - I was extremely polite and said something like "I don't know if you noticed back there, you nearly killed me..", and more importantly I have been lucky that these were all decent people who either apologized or put their hands up.

650Ginge wrote: »
    It gets you no where only worked up, and not thinking straight as you ride.

Use you horn to alert him to you presence as he passes.

Report dangerous drivers to the Garda.

Punching doors is any number of criminal offences, from your story the taxi driver commited none. He is just one of the many terrible taxi drivers around the world.

Sure that you are right. I will have to think twice next time before acting again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Sure that you are right. I will have to think twice next time before acting again.

Report him to the Taxi Regulator. If he has lots of reports against him (AFAIK) they can refuse to renew his licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

cantdecide wrote: »
    I hate to generalise but the attitude and carry-on of a lot of taxi drivers is downright appalling particularly to vulnerable road users like bikers. I nearly got wiped out by a taxi who did an illegal U-turn without indicating or even checking his mirrors. This was a week after another was literally 3 feet from my back wheel in traffic. When I gestured calmly for to him to pull back, he first got closer, then undertook me and proceeded to roll down his window and abuse me. This behaviour seems to double at weekends when rules of the road seem to go out the window and whole cities become taxi playgrounds IMO.
    Anyone with their window down chatting **** gets the key whipped out and tossed in the ditch. Its my signature move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Pedro K wrote: »
    Knocking the mirror off is reserved for drivers who aren't using their mirrors. As this lad came from behind its not applicable. Though satisfying nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I was in a similar situation with a taxi only a few months ago. The issue is now in the hards of the Gardai.

After he undertook me and almost hit me, I went ahead of him and stopped him. Took a while to get him to pull over.

I called Traffic Watch to let them know what happened and his reg. Then he called the Gardai. They arrived and were not happy with what he done. But he was African(bad english) and explained that he under took me in a single lane safely in the middle of rush hour by using a bicycle lane.

Here is the real kicker. I was driving in a bus lane. So I've been told more than likely the Gardai will do nothing because I should not of been in the bus lane. I regret not scraping the entire side of his car with my boot as he done it.

Next time, stick out the left leg as he undertakes you. Sure you are just protecting yourself anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Have to say, I would have booted his car too. Did it once before when a car did an idiotic maneuver and then insisted I was in the wrong. Booted his car and drove off.
    Now, never mind the legal implications, the reason that's a bad idea is, the guy sees you again. You never know what would happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

enjoying the ride, when out of nowhere from left side, please note that is a single lane road --> taxi driver overtooked me speeding like a mad (again from left side), he was extremly close to my handlebars, and ****, he scared the **** out of me
    Did he teleport there, or did you not have proper situational awareness?

=-=

Punching his door could be seen as road rage, as he could just say he was getting out to talk to you.

Not so sure about the point about looking in mirrors. I spend 99% of my time looking ahead, not in the mirrors when I'm on a straight road.
    Stop making excuses for the guy, he was a complete wánker, simple as. He deserved to lose a wing mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Dubwat

I'm not a biker so I can't really comment on your situation other than to say it sounds like the taxi driver was totally in the wrong. And jumping out of his taxi like he wanted a fight... I'd probably report him for that. If he'd counted to 10 in his head and stayed calm, he could have got past you when it opens out onto marked double lanes.

I'd make 2 points, though:
    1. You weren't driving slowly at 30-40km/hr. You were doing the speed limit. AFAIK, The speed limit is 30km/hr in that part of the city centre.
    2. I've often wondered if Lord Edward St is one lane or two (City Hall upto Fishamble St)? Personally, I think it's one lane each way but you often get cars (ok, taxis!) driving up the inside of other cars and getting ahead in the traffic queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If it really warrants it the only course of action is a boot straight to the side of the car....I can honestly say I have only done it twice in the near 2 yrs on a bike. And only to men, wouldnt really kick a womens car unless she was an absolute knut!!!

Reporting cars etc for "nearly" hitting you is a total joke aswell.....they will remember bikers when they are getting the panel beater in!!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If it really warrants it the only course of action is a boot straight to the side of the car....I can honestly say I have only done it twice in the near 2 yrs on a bike. And only to men, wouldnt really kick a women unless she was an absolute knut!!!

I gave a woman the fingers once (get your mind out of the gutter) and she was so shocked she actually jumped back in her seat in shock! Spend the rest of that journey laughing! Geebag deserved it
    Usually I never get wound up on the road.

the_syco wrote: »
    Did he teleport there, or did you not have proper situational awareness?

=-=

Punching his door could be seen as road rage, as he could just say he was getting out to talk to you.

he used port, sure... he came from Parliament St ... and i was driving up through Lord Edward street. its mather of seconds if you speeding. (as the taxi was)

i punched his door with fist, not kicked with bootwhen he tried to get out of his car - and i can tell he didnt wanna shake my hand.

every driver is getting out of the car to talk to other people its a standard act of friendship, isnt?

Dubwat wrote: »
    I'm not a biker so I can't really comment on your situation other than to say it sounds like the taxi driver was totally in the wrong. And jumping out of his taxi like he wanted a fight... I'd probably report him for that. If he'd counted to 10 in his head and stayed calm, he could have got past you when it opens out onto marked double lanes.

I'd make 2 points, though:
    1. You weren't driving slowly at 30-40km/hr. You were doing the speed limit. AFAIK, The speed limit is 30km/hr in that part of the city centre.
    2. I've often wondered if Lord Edward St is one lane or two (City Hall upto Fishamble St)? Personally, I think it's one lane each way but you often get cars (ok, taxis!) driving up the inside of other cars and getting ahead in the traffic queue.

1.i was even maybe bellow 30km/h as i just left work - cold engine, no muscle. watching mine speedlimit? what about the taxi overtaking me? was he going 31,5kmh?

2.it was the way from dublin castle towards christ church junction. believe me there is single lane only up to the lights on the top of the road - on Lord Edward street. no traffic at 7:30am and his car was empty no reason to speed up at all. and i almost falled of my bike. its not a joke that i am trying to explain here.

anyone can pass me, i am not angry driver, but dont ****ing pass me from left side in single lane for christ sake.

Just to put this together.

I didnt wanna abuse, attack or harm the driver at any stage. i wanted to let him know that he almost caused an accident and i wanted to make him aware to not to do that again in future. That was my point. i dont need to look for troubles, but that driver went balistic on me for no reason what so ever. i punched his door when he took of his seat belt and opened the door. Easy as taht.

1.i was even maybe bellow 30km/h as i just left work - cold engine, no muscle. watching mine speedlimit? what about the taxi overtaking me? was he going 31,5kmh?

2.it was the way from dublin castle towards christ church junction. believe me there is single lane only up to the lights on the top of the road - on Lord Edward street. no traffic at 7:30am and his car was empty no reason to speed up at all. and i almost falled of my bike. its not a joke that i am trying to explain here.

anyone can pass me, i am not angry driver, but dont ****ing pass me from left side in single lane for christ sake.

Just to put this together.

I didnt wanna abuse, attack or harm the driver at any stage. i wanted to let him know that he almost caused an accident and i wanted to make him aware to not to do that again in future. That was my point. i dont need to look for troubles, but that driver went balistic on me for no reason what so ever. i punched his door when he took of his seat belt and opened the door. Easy as taht.
    Bikerguy, stop trying to dig yourself out of this one. Here's a useful link for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

We all make mistakes and do stupid things, can't comment on the OP's situ as I'm sure the taxi driver will have a different slant on the story.

But to all the people saying they'd stick a boot into a car, I swear to all thats sacred to me if someone kicked my car wild horses wouldn't stop me beating the living day lights out of him.

And boasting about kicking a car and riding off, how cowardly is that?.. I'd place that right alongside the sucker punch and doing a runner.

I appreciate that some lads here are relatively new to riding bikes, my advice is to accept that people will be idiots and don't be getting into verbals.

If you want to go kicking in car doors or mirrors at least stick around and give guy a fighting chance ffs.

Thats just stupid carry on.

/rant :)

• Advertisement

Giving a guy a fighting chance while they're in a car and you're on a bike probably isn't the best idea though. They're a hell of a lot bigger than you, if he gets a rush of blood to the head you're guaranteed to come off worse.
    Definitely not a good idea though.
    Guy who's car I booted saw me, went through a stop sign almost into me. The thought he'd "teach me a lesson". Was booting his car cowardly? Possibly. Couldn't care less if it was tbh!

Advertisement