Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40gr Hornady Vmax in .223 Tikka Tactical

Options
  • 20-04-2013 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am used to using 53,55 and 75 Hornady ammo from my Tikka Tactical but would like to try the 40gr .

Has anyone used them in this rifle or a rifle with a 1:8 twist?

How did it perform? i am worried the twist is too fast for the round

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Shot them myself with no complaints in a t3 tactical 1:8.

Perhaps to put your mind at ease, shoot a few without a mod on, just to prove to yourself that the jacket won't separate from the core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Thanks Jonty

Im going to order some and see how they go for me.

By all accounts, they are a great foxing round

100 rounds on the way, I am sure that no matter what, they are accurate enough to kill a fox :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

They are a serious round, very flat and accurate as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

have 223 T3 varmint with 1:8. Never used less than 55gr, but I don't see a problem using 40gr in 1:8 for fox.
    Certainly, flat shooting character of 40gr makes life simpler.
    Guess groups may be around 1.5" at 100yds, but only a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

why bother with a 40 gr round when its only 5mm flatter to 200 yards than your 53gr but only has 66% of the energy?
    Their not going to turn your 223 into a 204.
    you can't over stabilise a bullet, but you can over spin it - 340,000 rpm won't improve any .224 bullet accuracy. (Hornady 290,000 max rec rpm) (Sierra 350,000 rpm)

Chesapeake wrote: »
    why bother with a 40 gr round when its only 5mm flatter to 200 yards than your 53gr but only has 66% of the energy?
    you can't over stabilise a bullet, but you can over spin it - 340,000 rpm won't improve any .224 bullet accuracy. (Hornady 290,000 max rec rpm) (Sierra 350,000 rpm)

Just wanted to try something different :)

I know what your saying, I was the same tried all the NEW loads - but 50grs good 50grs + better :D
    I only used the 40's on mags, greys & rabbits to use them up after I got them.

I've a 100 superformance 53, a 100 55gr superformance gmx, I a 100 40gr vmax and a 100 odd 55gr moly and 75 gr bthp so plenty of choice to play with and experiment with :D

Nice...............hopefully we'll get a few pet days soon and you can have a nice testing session ;)

• Advertisement

Nice...............hopefully we'll get a few pet days soon and you can have a nice testing session ;)

Cheers. Variety is the spice of life :) I will have to check out the sako stuff, sounds sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I've read stories about jacket separation with light/varmint bullets and tight twists, that's why I said to shoot them with out the mod first, just to prove to yourself.

I've never had a 40gr nosler or hornady round separate in my T3.

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    I've a 100 superformance 53, a 100 55gr superformance gmx, I a 100 40gr vmax and a 100 odd 55gr moly and 75 gr bthp so plenty of choice to play with and experiment with :D

Looks like you're set up for some fun.

Try a box of Federal 64gr PSP's and (no, I'm not crazy) a box of 62gr FMJ Tulammo. Bet the T3 will like them.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Looks like you're set up for some fun.

Try a box of Federal 64gr PSP's and (no, I'm not crazy) a box of 62gr FMJ Tulammo. Bet the T3 will like them.

Thanks yubabaill1,

I have load to try and check out. Strangely enough, I didnt have much luck with the Federal powershok SP 64gr. They didnt group well for me at all

Will keep ye all posted on how the stuff above performs, the 75gr BTHP and 55 gr vmax are deadly so I am looking forward to seeing how the rest compare.

Thanks yubabaill1,

I have load to try and check out. Strangely enough, I didnt have much luck with the Federal powershok SP 64gr. They didnt group well for me at all

Will keep ye all posted on how the stuff above performs, the 75gr BTHP and 55 gr vmax are deadly so I am looking forward to seeing how the rest compare.

I get 0.75" @100 consistently with the 64 and 62gr.

Found the 55s and 75s less tight.

All suitable for hunting. I am happy to shoot rabbits to 200yds with 62gr and 150yds with 55gr.
    Range finder used to confirm all these distances.
    Of course, I have has successes at longer ranges but I'm talking about absolute confidence.

Guess it shows how every barrel shoots each round differently..

Never tried the 62 gr thought.

Hornady 55 vmax and 75 gr bthp grouped below .5" out of my 24" barrel without much effort.

53gr superformance was way less consistent for me but I hear others having great results with them in similar setups.

Just fitted a new stock so I am really hoping to see good results with some of the rounds at least :D

Guess it shows how every barrel shoots each round differently..

Never tried the 62 gr thought.

Hornady 55 vmax and 75 gr bthp grouped below .5" out of my 24" barrel without much effort.

:D

I'm using 24" 1:8 T3 Varmint. Pretty similar to Tactical.

I know the 1:12 T3 is a one hole job with 55gr.

The 64gr and 62gr are not premium ammo like the 55gr VMax, so I don't expect one hole groups (or need them).

Think I got around 1" with 55gr VMax, slightly more with UMC FMJ's.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

My 1in8 T3 lite will put 5 rounds 55grvmax into a 2c coin.

UMC are just as good I found for the 50gr's (and half the price)

I would love to try lower. Just the shiote dealers round here stock nothing..

'hdz

hedzball wrote: »
    My 1in8 T3 lite will put 5 rounds 55grvmax into a 2c coin.

UMC are just as good I found for the 50gr's (and half the price)

I would love to try lower. Just the shiote dealers round here stock nothing..

'hdz

I have heavy barrel varmint T3 and no way will it hit 2c with 55gr.

friend had 1:12 lite and different result, as you say.

have a feeling that with 1lb trigger and muzzle brake, I could match your efforts with 62gr, but not out-of-the-box.

however, I am happy to hold MOA in the field, which still (after 30 years) seems to do the job.

I have heavy barrel varmint T3 and no way will it hit 2c with 55gr.

friend had 1:12 lite and different result, as you say.

have a feeling that with 1lb trigger and muzzle brake, I could match your efforts with 62gr, but not out-of-the-box.

however, I am happy to hold MOA in the field, which still (after 30 years) seems to do the job.

i always took th 55gr to be the holy grail of all 223 rounds.

Is the tul ammo FMJ?

This was an old umc picture..
    Zeroing in the dark in the rain :rolleyes::rolleyes:

12022013251_zps6c2a135d.jpg

12022013250_zps21da5090.jpg

Just outside the 2c..

The 55s were like lasers but impossible to buy them in cork at the moment..

Have to get up adn do an online shop.

I have the 20inch barrel too.. Edi had a 24 and cut down to a 20 and reported better results ..

'hdz

• Advertisement

Think the difference is down to heavy barrel vs light barrel.

Theoretically, heavy barrel should be stiffer/more consistent. however, T3 can have problems with fore end - it's flimsy and touches heavy barrel in some shooting positions.

Tikka reinforced fore end but only partial solution. Consistent results if you remember this, so can't blame that for my grouping.

Now, I never used a bag or ransom rest for my groups, which would tighten them somewhat also.

Still don't know if I could get 55grs into 2c, though.

Whatever, the 62 and 64gr give better results for me under my conditions.

Had to come back to this:

OK 2c = 18.75mm = 0.738 inch. Allowing all rounds inside this = 0.738" - 0.224"(mid-point of 2 furthest rounds)

gives a group size of 0.514" Been bugging me to find out.

Tulammo is fmj, but it makes a much bigger exit hole than any other fmj I ever shot.

Most people dismiss it as rubbish. But then, I was happy to shoot the old baikal shotgun shells in the day (as was a crack shot I knew).

it's important for shooters to have confidence in their kit, so I'm not going to argue with anyone.

hdz, digesting you post by degrees - barrel length affects harmonics, which are critical to accuracy.

Personally prefer the few extra fps. again, everyone to their own.

I'm using 24" 1:8 T3 Varmint. Pretty similar to Tactical.

I know the 1:12 T3 is a one hole job with 55gr.

The 64gr and 62gr are not premium ammo like the 55gr VMax, so I don't expect one hole groups (or need them).

Think I got around 1" with 55gr VMax, slightly more with UMC FMJ's.

Glad you get good group's lad.

Think the barrels on the varmint series are a bit different to the tactical ones which are allegedly more similar to sako trg

I genuinely got great groups off the Hornady ammo.

Changed my setup completely and look forward to trying it out. Had a fella tell me he had serious results with a setup like mine.

Going to zero again tomorrow and maybe get the chance to take grouping measurements.

Fairly sure (not 100%) Varmint and Tactical have same barrel, except Tactical has TRG42 muzzle brake.

My 200yd groups with 62 gr are 0.75" also, but only did one or two groups, while I did plenty at 100.

It's encouraging to see you guys punching 0.5" makes me think maybe the 200yd groups are a better reflection, but I would prefer to do more to confirm the 200yd results.

Maybe some warm summer's day, when I'm a bit bored.

Fairly sure (not 100%) Varmint and Tactical have same barrel, except Tactical has TRG42 muzzle brake.

My 200yd groups with 62 gr are 0.75" also, but only did one or two groups, while I did plenty at 100.

It's encouraging to see you guys punching 0.5" makes me think maybe the 200yd groups are a better reflection, but I would prefer to do more to confirm the 200yd results.

Maybe some warm summer's day, when I'm a bit bored.
    I would be the same. 200 groups for hunting is the most I would be looking at.

Customrifle on here was telling me that a friend of his is getting. 25 moa at 450 yards with same rifle as mine and same stock. Very encouraging to be honest. I'll need a fair amount of practice for that.

I would be the same. 200 groups for hunting is the most I would be looking at.

Customrifle on here was telling me that a friend of his is getting. 25 moa at 450 yards with same rifle as mine and same stock. Very encouraging to be honest. I'll need a fair amount of practice for that.

Sounds about right.
    My best is 1.5" @ 300m. One group only fired, 2 together and 3rd opened it up. No wind.

I'm always skeptical of "my best" - especially my own.

Was it 223 or do you know what cal? what ammo?

Sounds about right.
    My best is 1.5" @ 300m. One group only fired, 2 together and 3rd opened it up. No wind.

I'm always skeptical of "my best" - especially my own.

Was it 223 or do you know what cal? what ammo?

It was. 223 using 75gr bthp, a round that shoots very well for me too.

The biggest weakness in my rifle is me behind the trigger as I know I don't get the best from it.

It was. 223 using 75gr bthp, a round that shoots very well for me too.

Only ever tried 75gr Hornady hunting HPs, don't think they are around anymore. Got 1.5"@ 100yds. helluva kick off them for a 223. think what's available now is a match round - the hunting round may not have been BT, but can't remember.

Got good results with sierra matchking 69gr BTHPs, again don't know if they are available anymore, but at 1 euro-odd a pop, I wasn't going to be too worried about supply.

I'm happy to shoot the tulammo "crap" for as long as it's cheap - suits me just fine. If something requires a precision shot at 350, I'll just walk up till it's 200.

That's just my way of doing things - lots of guys like to work at long range and I don't have a problem with that.

• Advertisement

I still have about 40 of the old baikals at home.. Some cart alri

'hdz

Advertisement