Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40gr Hornady Vmax in .223 Tikka Tactical

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Tried out the 40gr today alongside some 55gr superformance.

Had a moderator on, wind was howling so not ideal conditions for measuring groups so I didnt, thats for another day.

Have to say, even in bad conditions, they were very accurate at 100 yards.

Looking forward to trying them out a bit further next weekend.

Fired one without the moderator at the end and it was seriously loud :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    Fired one without the moderator at the end and it was seriously loud :D

Well it's not a feckin pea shooter lad!!!:D

Jonty wrote: »
    Well it's not a feckin pea shooter lad!!!:D

:D I just got too used to having the moderator on that it put a smile on my face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

The 75gr's without the mod actually kick like a somewhat bigger gun I found.

Good to hear the results on the 40's.. Must try some myself but 8 weeks til take off i will stick to the cheap ol umc's

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

A few poor groups and then I knuckled down to this:
    Coin is 2c, distance 100yds.

Just saw your rig on photos thread, T3. Nice.

I have out-of-the-box T3 Varmint, no bipod, no mod.

Pretty sure I could do a shade better on a really good day etc, etc

• Advertisement

I don't know am I been a little soft but I just don't like the idea of steel cases being out into a steel chamber..

'hdz

hedzball wrote: »
    I don't know am I been a little soft but I just don't like the idea of steel cases being out into a steel chamber..

'hdz

Would prefer brass, myself, but as long as the case steel is softer than the chamber steel, should be fairly OK.

Cases also have polymer coat, which I'm sure the likes of Hornady do well, but the Rooskies?

Time will tell.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    A few poor groups and then I knuckled down to this:
    Coin is 2c, distance 100yds.

Just saw your rig on photos thread, T3. Nice.

I have out-of-the-box T3 Varmint, no bipod, no mod.

Pretty sure I could do a shade better on a really good day etc, etc

Thats great shooting yubabill1, keep it up :)

Thanks for comment on my set up, I am very happy with it and will leave well enough alone for now with the exception of maybe tuning the trigger a little although its pretty decent anyway.

Thats great shooting yubabill1, keep it up :)

Thanks for comment on my set up, I am very happy with it and will leave well enough alone for now with the exception of maybe tuning the trigger a little although its pretty decent anyway.

Measured my trigger at 2.5lbs. Not really happy with it - a little "mashable" IMHO and I've never really got the hang of reading it, even though I have it about 7 years.

I had a board with 3 groups I shot rapid-fire a while ago, which were all 0.75" centre-to-centre, but pretty sure I put it in the stove during the winter.

Noticed a couple of small jobs to do on rig, so a few more groups in the pipeline.

Bet your rig is a sweet shooter. That stock looks way superior to the factory offering. I have to be careful how I rest mine, else POI shifts 1.5" high due to fore-end flexing and touching barrel.

Still interested to see how the 40grs go, just for pig iron.

Measured my trigger at 2.5lbs. Not really happy with it - a little "mashable" IMHO and I've never really got the hang of reading it, even though I have it about 7 years.

I had a board with 3 groups I shot rapid-fire a while ago, which were all 0.75" centre-to-centre, but pretty sure I put it in the stove during the winter.

Noticed a couple of small jobs to do on rig, so a few more groups in the pipeline.

Bet your rig is a sweet shooter. That stock looks way superior to the factory offering. I have to be careful how I rest mine, else POI shifts 1.5" high due to fore-end flexing and touching barrel.

Still interested to see how the 40grs go, just for pig iron.

Mine breaks about the same but there is a guy on UK Varminting that sells a replacement spring for £5 that breaks at 1lb.

Im shooting fine with the standard trigger but for the money involved, I am going to try the spring. I had one ordered and envelope got torn in post so never got it.

I have to say, from testing last week, the 40gr seem to be fine out of the 1:8, proper little rockets :) I'll try and get groups when I get a better day with less wind. It was howling last time.

The new stock makes a massive difference on how the rifle handles, feels and performs better. I never liked the factory stock and i think it lets down a really great rifle.

Im finished fettling with it for now and just want to do some shooting and some foxing and get plenty of trigger time.

See there is some new 50gr Hornady international V'max out.

Also got some quotes for boxes of Sako 50gr arrowhead ballistic tips and Norma 50gr ballistic tips which I might try when I get through the current stock pile :)

• Advertisement

Those Sako are evil little B*&^rds. Don't be fooled by their diminuitive size/weight. Wait now, It was the Sako Raceheads - have not seen the Arrowheads you mention.

Interested in the trigger spring. Saw the thread, waiting to see how others got on.

I wouldn't worry if the 40grs don't group as well as the 55s. However, someone reported good groups with them out of 1:8 (can't remember whom) think around 1/2" and I think from a T3.

Those Sako are evil little B*&^rds. Don't be fooled by their diminuitive size/weight. Wait now, It was the Sako Raceheads - have not seen the Arrowheads you mention.

Interested in the trigger spring. Saw the thread, waiting to see how others got on.

I wouldn't worry if the 40grs don't group as well as the 55s. However, someone reported good groups with them out of 1:8 (can't remember whom) think around 1/2" and I think from a T3.

The Sako look great but the price is evil too! :(

Those trigger springs are sold on Ebay as well I think and people have had great reports on them. I am ordering another.

I think the 40gr will group well. The targets I was firing at were 1 -1.5 inches in size and considering the rain and wind that day, I was still hitting them every time so I imagine in calmer conditions, things would be good :D

Sako 50gr arrowhead ballistic tips and Norma 50gr ballistic tips which I might try when I get through the current stock pile

where and how much :D:D

hedzball wrote: »
    Sako 50gr arrowhead ballistic tips and Norma 50gr ballistic tips which I might try when I get through the current stock pile

where and how much :D:D

Sako are €31.50 a box :eek:

Norma €27 a box so I am thinking of trying them first :)

Paddy Carley is your man. He is checking out availability for me so ill let you know how it goes.

Sako are €31.50 a box :eek:

Norma €27 a box so I am thinking of trying them first :)

Paddy Carley is your man. He is checking out availability for me so ill let you know how it goes.

80 rounds of 50gr Norma ballistic tips arrived today :) Look forward to trying them and seeing how they compare to Vmax.

Enough ammo now, trigger time is what is needed.

Advertisement