Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Centre Facebook

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

savic04 wrote: »
    IMO the pedestrian streets has had the opposite effect, it has taken life from the city centre, the city centre isnt very big and isnt traffic friendly.. so even to do the most mundane thing, you have to go park and walk around.

Its so easy go tesco/next or whereever to park, run and out and move on...

until that is addressed I cant see the place getting any better sadly, because some of the city is really looking well now, down around The Mall and Viking quarter

Galway has a smaller city centre than Waterford, is completely pedestrianized and is bustling 24/7. Limerick is bigger than Waterford and has cars going through all main parts of the city centre and suffers from the same problems Waterford does.

People need to get over blaming pedestrianisation, it is not the issue. The issue is that in Galway you have the hospital and university pretty much in the city centre and a bustling tourist industry meaning that there is always people around walking from A to B. Waterford and Limerick have none of these with third level institutions out of the city centre, hospitals way out and a comparatively poor tourist industry. It’s not as simple as a pedestrian street so stop using that excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

The city centre group discussed getting office space over shops back into use,
    Which was a good plan and if successful breath a bit of life back into the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Nypd wrote: »
    The city centre group discussed getting office space over shops back into use,
    Which was a good plan and if successful breath a bit of life back into the city centre.

agree with that 100%, i think they are trying that on a small scale down in the V.T., the old Tack Room is going to be some offices upstairs. I cant understand why we dont have many proper office spaces for places like call centres etc to move into in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Max Powers wrote: »
    agree with that 100%, i think they are trying that on a small scale down in the V.T., the old Tack Room is going to be some offices upstairs. I cant understand why we dont have many proper office spaces for places like call centres etc to move into in the city centre.

Wouldn't parking be a problem?

And then you would have higher rents (and perhaps rates) because of city centre location?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Wouldn't parking be a problem?

And then you would have higher rents (and perhaps rates) because of city centre location?

One could only guess at this point landlords would be lowering rents rather than having idle buildings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement