Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is Bishops Quay and howleys quay road reopening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

pigtown wrote: »
    It really will be fantastic when it's eventually done. It would be great if the council could organise some sort of competition for architecture or engineering students for a design to improve the Shannon Bridge. It looks fairly dated compared to the Strands and now the Quays.

I've really noticed an increase in the numbers of people taking a stroll or just generally hanging out in the area recently. This is exactly what the riverfront should be utilised for. It's just a much more attractive environment now and it'll only improve further once the remaining sections and of course the boardwalk are completed.

Yeah it's definitely the ugly sister of the Shannon bridges that's for sure. Of course it was planned, designed and built in the 1980s during yet another Irish economic depression. So the fairly simple, rudimentary concrete structure is reflective of the realities of that time!

I doubt we'll see any significant remodelling works to the bridge but even some simple, cost effective alterations would dramatically improve it from an aesthetic point of view. For example repainting the railing white in unison with the rest of the quays and replacing the rather industrial estate like lighting standards with something more inspiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

No. In front of Clohesseys is to be pedestrianised.

Not entirely correct.
    This road will be open for a time in the morning (probably until 11am, same as the very bottom of Thomas st.) to allow for deliveries to Clohessy's, and also to allow trucks leaving Dunnes to exit. The right turn at the bottom of Shannon st is too sharp for them.
    At the moment though it seems that it will only be one-way, heading towards Jury's Inn R/about.

On a side note I think that the council should replace the traffic lane outside Elvery's on Henry st. This would alleviate the current situation where two lanes attempt to merge into one once they pass the lights at shannon st. Also traffic which wants to simply stay on the right all the way to Sarsfield st would have a much easier time.
    And it would help to ease the rush-hour tailbacks on Henry st caused by the closure of the Quays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Traffic on the dock road side of Limerick has gotten worse since the tunnel opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Traffic on the dock road side of Limerick has gotten worse since the tunnel opened.

I think that's to do with people coming from the Dublin/Cork side on the bypass or using the tunnel and exiting off the bypass in Mungret.

The bypass doesn't really serve entering the city too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

phog wrote: »
    I think that's to do with people coming from the Dublin/Cork side on the bypass or using the tunnel and exiting off the bypass in Mungret.

The bypass doesn't really serve entering the city too well.

Well they got rid of a critical and essential entry point to the city when they were constructing the motorway in Ballinacurra/Southill - that entry point if it were to be created would be a fantastic asset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

What part of it are they working on at the moment?They seem to be waiting for the wood of the boardwalk or something or are they actually laying the pavement around Milanos & near the boardwalk?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Well they got rid of a critical and essential entry point to the city when they were constructing the motorway in Ballinacurra/Southill - that entry point if it were to be created would be a fantastic asset

You can thank Limerick City Council for that inexplicable decision. They lobbied the NRA to extinguish that access route and omit a city bound slip for M20 north and M7 west traffic when the Rosbrien interchange and phase 2 of the southern ring road were being planned.

It says a lot about local governance that many if not most councillors only appeared to realise the implications of this decision as the project was nearing completion. They subsequently tried to lay the blame at the door of the NRA, clearly hoping that those they were trying to hoodwink wouldn't be informed enough to know any better!

Remedying the situation now would most likely entail routing a city bound lane in a cutting & underpass beneath the existing N18 east - M20 south slip. Not an inconsiderable undertaking! You would also need to reconfigure and enlarge the roundabout outside Hogan Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The last time I read something about readjusting that slip road they were quoting around €7m to do it. That was about 2 years ago and haven't heard anything further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

I skimmed through the latest regeneration report and reinstating a link from the M20 junction is a priority. I vaguely remember a suggestion of tying it into the Kilmallock road but I couldn't picture what they were proposing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I skimmed through the latest regeneration report and reinstating a link from the M20 junction is a priority. I vaguely remember a suggestion of tying it into the Kilmallock road but I couldn't picture what they were proposing.

That's what I heard too, but I couldn't imagine how that road could handle the extra traffic. As it is in the mornings it's a constant stream of traffic coming from the Ballyneety direction.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    The last time I read something about readjusting that slip road they were quoting around €7m to do it. That was about 2 years ago and haven't heard anything further.

Yeah €7 million is earmarked in the regeneration budget for what is termed "access from southern ring road".

This was mooted a couple of years back around the time of the opening of the tunnel and phase 2 of the SRR. I had hoped they would've dropped this convoluted, inadequate, unsuitable proposal by now!

As far as I know the plan was to add an east facing slip road and possibly also a west facing slip from the M7 to the Kilmallock road.

First off the Kilmallock road overbridge is too close to the Ballysimon interchange and as a consequence traffic weaving would more than likely become an issue. The Kilmallock road also largely runs through a residential area and I don't think adding extra through traffic here is desirable.

The biggest access issue I feel is for M20/N21 traffic heading north towards the city. Traffic coming from the east on the M7 can use the Ballysimon junction to enter the city. To that end I think they would be better off reconfiguring the Rosbrien interchange to include a new slip lane from the M20. I think this offers the best solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

They've started opening a large part of the footpath outside Milano's. Starting to really come together now.

power101 wrote: »
    They've started opening a large part of the footpath outside Milano's. Starting to really come together now.

Good to hear-particularly with the Munster game coming up at the weekend.Still no progress on the Boardwalk-still waiting for the wood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I think the wood for the boardwalk has arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

I walked the length of it today. Some points:

It's totally finished and open between the roundabout and Clohessey's.

The footpath outside Milano's is nice and wide. I imagine they will waste no time in getting some nice outdoor furniture.

No progress on Poor Man's Kilkee, I'd say it will be the last area to be completed.

The quay beneath Sarsfield Bridge is totally closed and seemed to be sealed up with white canvass. Does anyone have an idea why?

A new restaurant is opening in the former Glasshouse unit in Riverpoint, Brimstone I think it's called. The Boardwalk Bistro is opening in Clohessey's soon, and according to people on Boards, the Pier Hotel are opening a new barfront onto the quays aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

How does that work say if the pubs have tables outside?They have to licence and pay for the area?

I notice the Still House have a tent and an outside bar on the street sometimes not sure how they get away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The quay beneath Sarsfield Bridge is totally closed and seemed to be sealed up with white canvass. Does anyone have an idea why?

Reminds me of the fake backdrop in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Just waiting for them to paint in a 'bridge' on the canvas.....then let the kidnapping begin:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

bigpink wrote: »
    How does that work say if the pubs have tables outside?They have to licence and pay for the area?

I notice the Still House have a tent and an outside bar on the street sometimes not sure how they get away with it

Rest assured concerned citizen, I doubt they are getting away with anything, I means it's not like it is stashed away out the back....last I heard all cafes and pubs (most city centre pubs and cafes have tables outside) have to pay for the privilege...I for one welcome those outside areas, they shouldn't be charged at all as far as I'm concerned...(I assume public liability issues are agreed upon)

Just saying I saw it one night outside and it looked a like to could get messy no control like barriers and security

I agree council should be giving breaks to the restaurants and pubs there

Maintenance works to the underpass I think. Although I thought it was meant to have reopened by now.

Yeah they have to get a licence for outdoor seating. As far as I know the fee is based on the number of tables and chairs they intend to use.

I wouldn't have an issue with the City Council charging for this facility as long as it's not extortionate. It's a public footpath after all. Not the property of the business owner.

• Advertisement

Going to have to be policed well or could go like the Dublin broadwalks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Going to have to be policed well or could go like the Dublin broadwalks

Sure all the junkies sit on O'Connell Street and O'Connell Avenue. The boardwalk should be grand! :P

Lol true at least the Garda station is on the quay

I very much doubt the junkies are even aware of what's being developed down on the quays. They're far too settled up by the railway station!

I don't think I've ever seen a Garda patrol along the quayside all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Vanquished wrote: »
    Maintenance works to the underpass I think. Although I thought it was meant to have reopened by now.

It was meant to be open last week according to one of the temporary electronic signs on Henry St. I've encountered the canvas too many times at this stage!, drove down twice this week and still there anyway. It's handy sometimes to slip down there to avoid the Henry St peak time traffic.

Is O Connell St next once they're finished the quays?

sleepyman wrote: »
    Is O Connell St next once they're finished the quays?

It's next on the list, but it was supposed to be done last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If it's next on the list then they'd want to get a little more organised before beginning on that street. Those footpaths really do need replacing but I'm sure the streets is full of basements as well.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    If it's next on the list then they'd want to get a little more organised before beginning on that street. Those footpaths really do need replacing but I'm sure the streets is full of basements as well.

Unfortunately I can't imagine it being any different to the chaos on the other streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

cup of tea wrote: »
    It was meant to be open last week according to one of the temporary electronic signs on Henry St. I've encountered the canvas too many times at this stage!, drove down twice this week and still there anyway. It's handy sometimes to slip down there to avoid the Henry St peak time traffic.

It was back open yesterday. They seem to have re-enforced the underside of it with steel joices/struts.

Advertisement