Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girl (5) fighting for her life in New Delhi after brutal 48-hour rape ordeal

• 20-04-2013 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

A five-year-old girl was battling for her life in India’s capital New Delhi yesterday after being kidnapped and raped in the city.
    Police said the minor was attacked inside a locked room over a 48-hour period after she was abducted while playing outside her home in a modest Delhi neighbourhood.
    She was admitted to the intensive care unit of a local hospital on Wednesday and doctors said her condition was critical.
    “The girl was traumatised when she was brought to us. There were injuries to her lips, cheeks and chest wall. There were bruises on her neck,” Dr RN Bansal, chief of Swami Dayanand hospital, told the NDTV news channel.
    Other hospital doctors said the girl’s genital area was mutilated and objects had been inserted inside her causing serious internal injuries and infection.
    “We are keeping her under constant observation. The next few hours are going to be critical,” Dr Bansal said.
    The five-year old was rescued by a passerby who heard her wailing and alerted the police.

Police insensitivity
    The victims’ parents, however, accused the police of being insensitive towards their daughter. “They [the police] were reluctant to register our complaint that she was missing when we approached them the first time,” the girls’ father said.
    “Later they told us that we should be ‘content’ with the fact she was at least found alive,” he added.
    Police insensitivity in sexual crimes is endemic across India.
    “We initially registered a case of kidnapping. We have now launched a preliminary inquiry into rape and attempted murder” Delhi police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said.
    He added that they were looking for a neighbour of the victim who they suspect of having committed the crime.
    Meanwhile, scores of protesters gathered outside the hospital where the child was admitted and shouted abuse at the police for failing to properly investigate her disappearance.

Condemnation
    Women’s rights activists condemned the incident, saying the injuries inflicted on the girl were shocking.
    “This incident shows what kind of brutes we have in society. Society is also responsible for this. It has become full of perverts,” Ms Ranjana Kumari of the Delhi-based Centre for Social Research said.
    In a separate incident police yesterday said they were looking for a group of men who allegedly gang-raped a 19-year-old woman late Wednesday night.
    They said the woman, who works as a domestic helper, was offered a lift in a car by the men and then allegedly sedated and repeatedly raped.
    These horrific crimes come just four months after India was shocked by the gang-rape of a student in a moving bus in Delhi, which triggered countrywide demonstrations and debate over the status of females and their safety.
    The 23-year old woman succumbed to her injuries 13 days after the brutal assault.

How? How could anyone, a group, an individual, perpetrate such an act? Animals the lot of them is my thinking after all of these barbaric cases.

Chances are, this is so common practice that it won't stop even when the worldwide media spotlight is turned on the country.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Fuck I wish I hadn't read that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Why on earth isn't this featuring within the top stories on the likes of BBC, Sky etc.

That's just horrendous, awful awful reading. People such as the above don't deserve to be called human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Indian police unfortunately are painfully corrupt. I wouldn't be surprised if the investigating officers are involved or at least have some connection to the perpetrators.

In many cases, they simply don't care unless you hand over some cash. Sexual assault crimes are typically perpetrated by poorer criminals against poorer victims, so the officers know there's little or no money to be made from investigations into them. And of course you also have the horrific level of misogyny too. Hence the police's insensitivity and indifference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Sick

Dont believe AH is the place for these threads tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Why on earth isn't this featuring within the top stories on the likes of BBC, Sky etc.

That's just horrendous, awful awful reading. People such as the above don't deserve to be called human.

Because they can't say anything bad about their former colonies. Post colonial guilt bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Sickening, absolutely sickening.
    What will it take for that country and it's people to get their act together..

It would be great if they found the culprit, castrated him and dumped him in a cell for the rest of his life. Rehabilitation won't work on him or any of that cheap because it seems the country and it's society needs rehabilitation first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That is just incredibly disturbing and depressing.

What the hell is wrong with some people ? I just can't even get my head around it.

I mean, the normal instinct I'd assume most of us have is to protect other people, especially kids!

Calling them animals would be a deep injustice to other species who would do anything to protect their offspring !

I don't really know what you could call these "things" other than just extremely evil.

I don't know all that much about Indian society but it would seem there's a big issue due to the caste system and people who find themselves on the lower rungs being treated ridiculously badly.

However, it still doesn't explain what those guys did.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

India, **** yeah!

No, a really sick thing that seems to be a common occurrence over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Jesus Christ surely this is newsworthy for sky etc. absolutely horrendous the poor little girl I feel sick to my stomach. I'm sitting beside my own little girl and feeling so sad for this victim :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Thats a fu*king disgrace! The poor child, her innocence has been stolen now and her life ruined, people who commit such crimes should have their balls cut off and let bleed to death, absolute scum!

As for the police, thats just shameful, how could people just not care, people in a position to help and locate her, alot of really disturbing news coming from the country lately with rapes, its a nightmare for women by the sounds of it!

Always feel like ive been kicked in the stomach when i read about kids being harmed like that, sickening stuff!

• Advertisement

Yakult wrote: »
    India, **** yeah!

No, a really sick thing that seems to be a common occurrence over there.

There needs to be a very severe response by the whole society to something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Rape in itself, of a 5 year old in particular, is so disturbing but what is with the need to use objects and do major damage as well. It's ****ing evil.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

She's only a baby! :mad:

The World is fúcked! :mad:

SCUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

donvito99 wrote: »
    How? How could anyone, a group, an individual, perpetrate such an act? Animals the lot of them is my thinking after all of these barbaric cases.

Chances are, this is so common practice that it won't stop even when the worldwide media spotlight is turned on the country.

Theres nothing that unique to India about that story, to be blunt. Child abusers are a human problem, not one linked to a nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Jesus Christ.

I don't want a ban so I'm not going to comment further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Unfortunately this is rampant, and especially in Syria now. I've almost given up on so called human beings at this stage. There are good people out there I know this, but when you hear of this happening day in, day out, in the far east and close to home it just makes you sit back and ponder as to why there are so many sicko's out there.

I keep up with the news constantly, but i've noticed lately myself retracting from reading the news because all I see is a bunch of savages with money/gold on their mind and of which will dig/burrow through the life of any human being to get it.

Rape/torture of children, rape of their mothers..murder of their fathers as the family watch this happening in front of each other. This is what's going on in Syria, but when you hear of a small bomb going off in Boston city the worlds population focuses on this and unknowing to the real evil taking place across our easterly land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

zenno wrote: »
    but when you hear of a small bomb going off in Boston city the worlds population focuses on this and unknowing to the real evil taking place across our easterly land.

The Boston bombing is real evil too.

osarusan wrote: »
    The Boston bombing is real evil too.

It is indeed, i understand that, but the insane stuff happening on a daily basis in Syria is just apocalyptic compared to Boston. I know, it's all fcuked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Fuck I wish I hadn't read that.

I feel the exact same way. Gonna try erase this completely from my memory which is probably what is wrong with this world. Feel kinda sick and helpless after reading this

• Advertisement

Yeah, I suppose we focus on Boston though because its familiar.

I mean it may be a different jurisdiction but North America is basically just a branch of the same society we live in and we have enormous connections to it : language, many social norms, shared history, similar notions of political systems, legal systems, migration and familial ties and media access.

We tend not to notice the horrors going in elsewhere because we don't have regular access to media from there and because we don't have the cultural connections or language to pay attention.

I think it's very important to get what's going on out to a global audience because international outrage at such things does change attitudes and policies.

The Internet, migration and more familiarity is making that happen a lot more.

People can't just sweep stuff under the carpet anymore & expect it to be hushed up to preserve image!

Lots of people will read about that and be justifiably outraged. We need to support the people in India who are trying to do something to prevent it ever happening again.

Even just highlighting it and communicating on a searchable public forum like this has impact even if its just moral support from a distance.

There's a lot of power in a government or a society being internationally embarrassed by finding its dirty laundry being discussed online - it focuses minds!

I've no doubt the global attention on some of the horrors that went on here in ireland accelerated reform & change too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

but when you hear of a small bomb going off in Boston city the worlds population focuses on this and unknowing to the real evil taking place across our easterly land.
    The income from advertising generally determines what is reported in the news. Like it or not, a bomb at the Boston marathon will "sell" better than a rape in India.

The income from advertising generally determines what is reported in the news. Like it or not, a bomb at the Boston marathon will "sell" better than a rape in India.

And you are correct in that statement. i.e... I agree.

Yeah but from our perspective Boston might as well be West Galway. It's quite a different scenario to an incident in an unfamiliar place.

People tend to focus their attention on familiar stuff.

I think though the UK media needs to look much more closely at India in particular. There's a huge Indian audience in Britain. I don't know why the producers just ignore India in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Nodin wrote: »
    Theres nothing that unique to India about that story, to be blunt. Child abusers are a human problem, not one linked to a nationality.

But really inept police that seem to ignore these issues are unfortunately more common in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 reg12

I'm going to India soon, and I'm absolutely wearing a chastity belt with a BIG lock. I'm deadly serious.

Having been sexually assaulted before in this country, I absolutely don't want it to happen again and am taking steps to protect myself.

Rape is an epidemic, it breaks my heart, what is going on in the world, how do people get so detached from humanity that they don't care what torture they inflict on other people?

I really think there should be research into new devices/aids women can wear to stop themselves being raped. There needs to be more protective devices. It's just one angle of many angles that need to be targeted, but this is one area that definitely needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

How could any human being be so insensitive to another human being in such tragic circumstances. I say human being believing that we are above animal behavior but this case makes me question that belief. I believe rape is a crime as serious as murder especially to a five year old child. How could any policeman say such a thing to a parent of a child that has been defiled in such a manner. For one pervert to carry out such a crime is beyond most of our comprehension but this was a gang. What went through their minds as they carried out this act on a child screaming in agony is beyond me. Without a doubt the death penalty should be imposed for this crime as these perpetrators are not fit to live in a decent society. The protest outside the police station shows that Indian society is sickened by this crime. Are these people religious how do they show their faces at their houses of prayer. So many questions that I cannot answer or understand. What life lies in store for this poor child if she survive's as a lot of religion's frown on those who are raped which I think is crazy.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    How could any human being be so insensitive to another human being in such tragic circumstances.I say human being believing that we are above animal behaviour but this case makes me question that belief. I believe rape is a crime as serious as murder especially to a five year old child. How could any policeman say such a thing to a parent of a child that has been defiled in such a manner. For one pervert to carry out such a crime is beyond most of our comprehension but this was a gang. What went through their minds as they carried out this act on a child screaming in agony is beyond me. Without a doubt the death penalty should be imposed for this crime as these perpetrators are not fit to live in a decent society. The protest outside the police station shows that Indian society is sickened by this crime. Are these people religious how do they show their faces at their houses of prayer. So many questions that I cannot answer or understand. What life lies in store for this poor child if she survive's as a lot of religion's frown on those who are raped which I think is crazy.

Animals look after their clan and don't kill/torture/rape or blindly murder their own, so that say's a lot for humans, savages sliding down the drip-feed of paper monies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Animals look after their clan and don't kill/torture/rape or blindly murder their own
    I think you may be mistaken there.

Animals do indeed kill their own. And of course torture and rape being ethical concepts rather than tangible ones, animals are intellectually incapable of doing them. Though I think it's fair to say that animals do routinely have sex with unwilling participants and prolong the agony of prey longer than needs be and in some cases do so for fun.

It's the fact that humans engage in rape, torture and murder that belies our intellect and exposes the fallacious belief that we're somehow above or better than the rest of the animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Because they can't say anything bad about their former colonies. Post colonial guilt bull****.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-22212004

It's the tenth most read article at the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

reg12 wrote: »
    I'm going to India soon, and I'm absolutely wearing a chastity belt with a BIG lock. I'm deadly serious.

Having been sexually assaulted before in this country, I absolutely don't want it to happen again and am taking steps to protect myself.

Rape is an epidemic, it breaks my heart, what is going on in the world, how do people get so detached from humanity that they don't care what torture they inflict on other people?

I really think there should be research into new devices/aids women can wear to stop themselves being raped. There needs to be more protective devices. It's just one angle of many angles that need to be targeted, but this is one area that definitely needs to be looked at.

There are war torn places in africa where as many as 1 in 3 women have been raped. The world is a very messed up place.

Closer to home, I have to say, I hate guns. But as dangerous as tasers are, I'd have no problem with women being allowed to carry a small one as a defence measure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Hell hole of a country with backward locals a very sad case but not surprising when you consider the animals walking around over there on two legs trying to pass themselves off as human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Otis_taylor2

This is really horrific and its just one of those incident that has been reported and gained coverage. There are many cases that go unreported. whats got to change i think is some aspects of the culture. secondly, i think Movie stars and movie culture are responsible as well for sending out the wrong message with their 'item number' dance and obscene scenes in movies, since a lot of Indian people (primarily from lower class and below poverty line group) blindly look upto these actors as if they were sent from heaven. thirdly, people need to be educated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Poor little thing. This is only one case out of many. I was watching NDTV news a few weeks ago and one of the stories was about a 3 year old street vendor's daughter who'd been snatched from beside her mother and 5 year old sister on the street where they were sleeping. She was raped by the bastard who snatched her and then left back on the street. The mother had to stay with her in the hospital because she wouldn't let anyone but the mother, and the five year old was bundled into in care and is traumatised by the whole thing and the separation from her mother and not being even able to see her for a few minutes. Sadly when the child is released from hospital she'll be back living on the street and on danger. The women and children who live on the streets are in constant danger, day and night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Even if she managed to pull through her body and mind are literally scarred for life. Can you imagine the utter mental torture that this is doing to her parents too, knowing someone did those horrific things to their child. That poor little girl :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

And some people say there's no such thing as evil. Hope the attackers die screaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

They should give these out free:

rapex-condom.jpg

Youd be bloody sure rape would go down then.

Also, when they find this guy I hope he is strung up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

There must be something seriously messed up in people's minds that do stuff like this.
    I can't get my head around why anyone would hurt, let alone violate, an innocent child..these people are beyond sick and this story left me feeling so sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

**** should be gelded. What I would do to that person, if put in a room with them. Prison isn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

reg12 wrote: »

Avoiding certain parts of the town, and certain times of the day should keep you safe, especially in the north. If you are going to South, you should be fine. Enjoy your trip!

There's this new anti-rape bra that's getting a lot press: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22110443

And the latest on this case is that the rapist has been apprehended. 25 year old neighbor migrant worker from a backward part of India, and he was a neighbour apparently. Now that he has been caught, justice will be done, no question about that - Indian judiciary doesn't think twice in handing out severe punishments.. absolutely no soft corners there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

positron wrote: »
    Avoiding certain parts of the town, and certain times of the day should keep you safe, especially in the north. If you are going to South, you should be fine. Enjoy your trip!

There's this new anti-rape bra that's getting a lot press: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22110443

And the latest on this case is that the rapist has been apprehended. 25 year old neighbor migrant worker from a backward part of India, and he was a neighbour apparently. Now that he has been caught, justice will be done, no question about that - Indian judiciary doesn't think twice in handing out severe punishments.. absolutely no soft corners there.

I'm not sure about that. Our system is a joke. More holes than a swiss cheese. Few months back there was a gang rape case that shook whole country and there were protests in Delhi but one of the rapist will be escaping with min punishments as he was 17 and is a juvenile. He will be charged by juvenile laws and the news was that he was the one whose act killed her. Absolutely pathetic. And the one who was wanted him to be charged by the law (Juvenile) was a woman. (I'l be honest here, I wanted someone to gang rape here with some 17 years olds and wanted to see her reaction).

Until we hand out biggest charges or capital punishments this won't stop. Scary thing is these are only very few cases that made most headlines. There are 100s that made national channels for a day and was left out the next day.

Absolute shambles our system is and the worst case is police even offered money for the kid's parents to drop the case. Wish they all are hanged in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Christ.

I really cannot understand how someone could do that to a child. I am all for the law and punishing them within it but if I was that childs father, a machete and a bag of salt would be just the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ziphius wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-22212004

It's the tenth most read article at the moment...

I had meant on the television as opposed to the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

i would pay to have half an hour alone with the cnut responsible for this,i really would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I can't even...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I think if the tourist industry grew a pair and boycotted the kip they might cop on and do something about this.
    It sickens me, it really does. Was the kid from a lower caste? I believe the lower castes are regarded equal to animals but i may be wrong there. There are a few levels but the lowest is definitely not worth much in the higher castes eyes.

This kind of thing totally takes the shine off glossy brochures and ads doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Some things just aren't up for discussion.

There's no argument against anything that can/should/may subsequently happen the person responsible for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Wtf has the world come to :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

Generally, the left leaning media shies away from reporting stories like this as it can fuel xenophobia and racism.
    Remember Nicola Furlongs death in Tokyo? Hardly reported at all in the USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I doubt there's a blatant policy like that. If it's due to the left-leaning media, then wouldn't Fox report it? It's just not a big story in the U.S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement