Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Bank charge and Overdraft application

Options
  • 20-04-2013 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there,

I recently changed my bank and wanted to apply for an overdraft with my new bank as I had one with my previous bank as well. I only used it once for about 300 euro (limit is 1.5k) and got out of it the following month right away. That was in February.

Of course the bank asked me to provide bank statements, which I did. When I went through the statements with the adviser though there was a charge on the statement says "Referral Charge". I had no idea what it was and was told it usually gets applied when I go over my limit. Funny thing is, I didn't. My account was well in the plus (over 1k) by the time the charge was applied.

He didn't seem too worried by it and said he doesn't see a reason for me not to get the OD since my account is in good order. I have given him recent payslips and my P60 with an income of about 28k. The only charges going out on my account are rent, phone, AA and bin charge, he seemed happy enough with that and seemed surprised that I didn't really use my OD as people that have one usually use it.

He said he also saw my ICB record already and there was nothing on it (well I had no loans or anything comparable so I expected that).

However, it DOES bother me quite a bit that my old bank applied a charge that is not supposed to be there. Will this influence my OD application? Will they contact my old bank about it? I'd have no problem with that at all but I wonder how much the other bank would share with them and in general cooperate seeing that they are about to lose a client?

Grateful for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Ceida wrote: »
    Will this influence my OD application?

Possibly. Referral fees or unpaid charges can reflect unsatisfactory account operation.
    Ceida wrote: »
    Will they contact my old bank about it? I'd have no problem with that at all but I wonder how much the other bank would share with them and in general cooperate seeing that they are about to lose a client?

They won't contact your old bank about it. If they wanted to they'd need to get written approval from you.

You should also ask the old bank for a written explanation about the referral fee. Perhaps your limit expired temporarily?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ceida

Thank you so much for the reply!

As my account statements also show I did have an OD available when i went into the minus due to car problems though. It was made available in November and never removed afaik. It's also funny that at the time the charge was applied (in April9 there was nothing wrong with the account. No unpaid DDs or anything.

I'll get that cleared tomorrow I guess and for now just wait what the new bank has to say. I hope the adviser not worrying is at least a good sign.

Advertisement