Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving license

Options
  • 20-04-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi i went to my local road tax office on the 5th of aprill to apply for my provisional license on my 17th birthday. i was told it will be sent out in the post but i am still waiting and as a car is being purchased next weekend i am wondering can i get insured and start even if my license has not arrived. One of my friends said it took 5 weeks to get his license sent.
    thanks.

Comments

It'll be at least 6 months before you can even apply for a driving test, so I'd hold off on buying till than. Save yourself a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cianmg

Thanks but yes i do now everything i need and have to do in order to get a full license it's a new family car in order for me to drive i just need to know will i have to wait

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pedantic but it's a learner permit and not a provisional license.

cianmg wrote: »
    Thanks but yes i do now everything i need and have to do in order to get a full license it's a new family car in order for me to drive i just need to know will i have to wait
    Good Luck! You're obviously on top of things! Yes, the new 'permit' can take a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Have you done the theory test yet? I'd be looking to get that done BEFORE you get a car! And NO. You cannot drive until the permit is in your hand.

Don't forget you also need to have 12 with an ADI (Approved Driving Instructor) lessons before booking your test. See here. You need to get all this in hand before taking to the road. Have you found a suitable instructor yet?

I trust you'll have a licensed driver with you when you start driving? You know that you cannot drive alone if you've not passed your test.

Plenty of time to get a car and insurance when you actually have the permit and start learning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Pedantic but it's a learner permit and not a provisional license.
    licence :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Moved to learning to drive

Have you done the theory test yet? I'd be looking to get that done BEFORE you get a car! And NO. You cannot drive until the permit is in your hand.

Don't forget you also need to have 12 with an ADI (Approved Driving Instructor) lessons before booking your test. See here. You need to get all this in hand before taking to the road. Have you found a suitable instructor yet?

I trust you'll have a licensed driver with you when you start driving? You know that you cannot drive alone if you've not passed your test.

Plenty of time to get a car and insurance when you actually have the permit and start learning.

can you please take your time reading the thread before posting as i said i applied for the "permit" and was told it would be sent in post

Otherwise thank's to everyone else guess i will have to wait until it come's in post

cianmg wrote: »
    can you please take your time reading the thread before posting as i said i applied for the "permit" and was told it would be sent in post

Otherwise thank's to everyone else guess i will have to wait until it come's in post

I did. I can read thank you. I know you already applied for the permit, and reminded you that driving lessons and theory test need to be applied for etc. I gave you a link so that you could get further info if you needed it. I told you can't drive until you get it. And?? Less of the cockiness please. You asked for help. I tried to give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I thought that to apply for a leaner permit, you had to have had to have already done and passed your theory test first?

• Advertisement

I did. I can read thank you. I know you already applied for the permit, and reminded you that driving lessons and theory test need to be applied for etc. I gave you a link so that you could get further info if you needed it. I told you can't drive until you get it. And?? Less of the cockiness please. You asked for help. I tried to give it.

i apologise i know what i need and no you can't apply with out the theory test so i have already done that

OK. Cool runnings. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

He must have the Theory test done if he has applied for a license, as you need to hand in the cert of having passed it when you apply for your 1st license.

OP, wait until you get the license before you get into the car. I'm fairly sure you can't even legally get insured on a car without a license, as they request license details during the application.

If you are found to be driving without a license, and therefor without valid insurance, you will be given a whooping 5 penalty points before the offense of driving without a license is even looked at.

Wait the week or two it takes, the waiting times are variable and no one can give you a solid time frame but the motor office themselves. This is even the case for full drivers waiting on the new credit card style licenses.

To get back to your original question, I don't think you can get insurance without a driving licence. They ask for a photocopy of it and the licence number.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

You cannot drive until the permit is in your hand.

That's discussable.

It's completely two different things to drive unlicenced comparing to driving without carrying a document
    First one is meant to be heavy offence which should attract heavy fines, while the second is only a small offence which usually shouldn't attract penalty at all.

Once OP applied for licence and application was processed, this date will be indicated on a licence as "valid from" date.
    So assuming OP applied already few weeks ago, when he receives his licence this date will be before todays date, to technically, while OP still doesn't possess the document, he is licenced to drive.

The OP has applied for a leaner permit NOT a licence.

And isn't it the law that the permit/licence has to be in your possession when driving? Notwithstanding the fact there are delays in processing as discussed extensively elsewhere...

And you can't get insurance until you have either the licence or the permit as the insurance will want to see proof of the same. i.e Driver No. AND a copy of the permit/licence. Therefore, he is not licensed to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

The OP has applied for a leaner permit NOT a licence.
    Yes, the same principle anyway.
    And isn't it the law that the permit/licence has to be in your possession when driving?
    It probably is, but there is tens of thousands of drivers who don't obey this law, so OP won't add much to it.
    Notwithstanding the fact there are delays in processing as discussed extensively elsewhere...

And you can't get insurance until you have either the licence or the permit as the insurance will want to see proof of the same. i.e Driver No. AND a copy of the permit/licence. Therefore, he is not licensed to drive.

My first insurance in Ireland was issued with disc valid for 30 days, and this was the time for me to send them all required documentations (licence copy, NCB cert, etc). So I assume it is possible to get a cover without actually showing licence to anyway, at least for a limited period of time.

Advertisement