Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library cutbacks in N.C.D

Options
  • 20-04-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

So in their wisdom Fingal C.C have proposed a reduction in opening hours of Baldoyle, Balbriggan and Rush libraries. I am shocked at this.

This is a scandalous attack especially on the people who use the library for study and research of school and college work. To the students who cant study at home or dont have internet. To the schools who use it as part of their reading programmes, the elderly who go in to browse the shelves and the various clubs who use it for meeting. Having sent numerous emails to Fingal on the matter I got the spin they put on it at their council meeting last Monday week. Revision, moratorium, embargo finance,

One of the main reasons is to redeploy staff so they can open the new Donabate Library later this year. Its very important that this new library opens and the people of Donabate deserve their library but it should not mean 3 other communities lose out.

From a Rush perspective the Library is the jewel in the crown of a town which has for many years been neglected by various councils. The library, along with the theater, school, Millbank and Martins was to be our cultural quarter.

There have been public meetings organised for Balbriggan and Rush and there will be 2 more in coming week. The Rush meeting is on next Thursday and has been called by Clare Daly T.D. Hopefully after this meeting we will have a committee in place and some serious coordinated pressure will be brought on the council to shelve this stupid idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

There is an online petition going around facebook.
    I was so PI**ED of when I heard it was going by 40%.
    People use it everyday, jobseekers, Parents can brign the kids in are read them a story.
    Sickend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Simple maths really.

I can't see why people are so upset - budget cuts, moratoriums, public sector staff being treated the way they are - honestly what do you expect?

Something has to give.

Well , I know Fingal coco give grants for houses to be adapted for people that need changes to be made so they can continue to live at home , but then if the person goes into a home , when they pass away ,the HSE get 15% of the value of the home.i don't understand things like that why not the value of the home less the grant you recieved .there are other ways .this is a huge huge blow to our community .
    What can I say only yes, I wish there where another way. .i am not in a position to do anything but sign a potition.
    If I could change it. , i would its the wrong decision .it will have a tildewave of impact to so many.
    Wrong !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Simple maths really.

I can't see why people are so upset - budget cuts, moratoriums, public sector staff being treated the way they are - honestly what do you expect?

Something has to give.

As has been pointed out by cathy these libraries are vital to the communities they are in. We all know there are going to be cuts but when so little has been given to a town to begin with I can fully understand why people are seething.

If there is a morotorium or embargo on employment why are they advertising for contract staff in the new library? This library is so important to the exam students who use it would be disgraceful if there aare any cuts to the service. From what I see and hear the protest at these cuts will be as big as anything we have seen here in the past. And I really hope the every ouse sends in objections and joins the protest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

No surprise to see no cutbacks in the Malahide library. Was unemployed recently for a few weeks and wandered down to Balbriggan library during the day and it was packed so it would be shocking to see the opening hours reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

Pressure needs to be put on our local reps and TDs to get the moratorium lifted. If there is no staff there is no service. And before anyone says it, volunteers are not an option. Take a look at the situation in the UK; it's not a road we should urge the council to go down.

Personally, I think cutting 3 branches to open 1 is outrageous. There isn't enough staff to keep the libraries they have open, so why add another one to the pile?? That makes no sense to me. If they are saying that Balbriggan people can travel to Rush why can't they say that Donabate people can travel to Swords/Malahide??

Pressure needs to be put on our local reps and TDs to get the moratorium lifted. If there is no staff there is no service. And before anyone says it, volunteers are not an option. Take a look at the situation in the UK; it's not a road we should urge the council to go down.

Personally, I think cutting 3 branches to open 1 is outrageous. There isn't enough staff to keep the libraries they have open, so why add another one to the pile?? That makes no sense to me. If they are saying that Balbriggan people can travel to Rush why can't they say that Donabate people can travel to Swords/Malahide??

Have to agree with you re using volunteer staff. I would be totally opposed to this. (As I am to short term contract work which they are advertising for I believe according to a Fingal employee.) If there is work to there employ even starting on 20 hrs and build it up to full working week instead of using them but thats a different argument.

One thing that is bothering me about these cutbacks is they do so little to say well how can we make the libraries more attractive? They used to sell USB keys in Rush, 4gig for €10 so why not try to develop this more to meet the needs of students who use the facilities, pens, pencils, subject dividers, folders, paper. Im not for a moment suggesting we turn them into retail outlets but the sale of these things could generate much needed revenue.

I dont buy this embargo or moratorium on taking on new staff sure all they do is outsource loads of work to private companies as the H.S.E do and pay more for it in the long run. Its nothing short of scandalous this proposed cutback and yet they waste money with 2 lads on back of a lorry throwing tar into potholes on our Main st which was nearly all gone after a few tractors went over it. Some people in high places need a right shaking up.

Thankfully while out for a walk this evening I met 3 people who are all going to the public meeting this Thursday and hopefully it will be jammers. Its up to the people of Balbriggan Baldoyle and Rush to kick up a right fuss on this issue or we will continue to be dumped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

So you want stationary to be sold at the libraries now? There's not even enough resources to keep the libraries open as it stands so where's this going to come from?

T-Maxx wrote: »
    So you want stationary to be sold at the libraries now? There's not even enough resources to keep the libraries open as it stands so where's this going to come from?

Well they could sell USB keys awhile ago so why not? And there are the resources to keep the libraries open as it stands the problem is opening another library will stretch the current staff to far.

The point I was making was why not develop what is there. Its a superb facility but all we seem to do especially at management level is want to cutback services and quite often against the ones who need it most. We get the all the "spin" "in these times" "embargo" "moratorium" instead of looking at a way to develop. As I stated previously a member of Fingal told me they are looking for contract staff to fill certain positions so where is the embargo there? Thy can develop the service further and employ more staff IF they want but they will use the contract staff who have little rights, no security and after they reach 9 or 10 months out they go to be replaced by another contract worker. Look at our health service, they also have a moratorium but spend far more employing agency nurses than it would cost to employ a nurse in a full time job.

I can compare it Post offices where a while ago you could only get a stamped envelope but over a period of 2 years all offices now sell various envelope sizes, parcel box and padded envelopes and there are plans to get more out of the retail end of things. It is working for An Post so why not Fingal?. I dont envisage the library becoming a stationary shop but carrying a small stock of some items a student or someone doing research might need might not be a bad thing. Dont know how the Unions would feel about this but if assisted in gererating enough revenue I dont think they would really object. I see the staff currently employed in Rush and they are superb, friendly and very helpful to people coming in and I have often got a sheet of paper to make a few notes.

At this stage it's like what ever it takes.i am totally stunned that this is happening and more then shocked that we the people are rolling over and saying ok , fire away.noooooo I believe their is a meeting tomorrow at 2 in BALBRIGGAN. ??? Outside the library. ,
    ( I would have used there instead of their only i didn't know because of my local library cuts. ) .:-))))))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I'm finding the community reaction to this, compared to the possible demolition of the two beach shelters very, very interesting!

There are already 2 self service machines in the library in Balbriggan. The security staff/janitor is for the entire building as I understand it. So if there are Council meetings/rooms rented upstairs they'd have to be in place anyway. Is there any particular reason why they can't rearrange the library to accommodate those who want to study and simply rent books during the hours when there is low staff cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lincoln

What time/where is the Rush meeting being held this Thursday?

lincoln wrote: »
    What time/where is the Rush meeting being held this Thursday?

Its in Rush community center at 8pm.

There was a meeting last week organized by by Green party rep Joe O'Brien (Thanks Joe) There was a good turnout but I would expect a lot more at this weeks meeting which has been called by Clare Daly T.D. Posters are up around the town and there is a facebook campaign up and running.

I think however this campaign is about people and should be a community effort rather than be a politically driven campaign. I contacted Rush C.C last week and asked why they didnt host the meeting and to be fair they had arranged their quartley reports and could not put them off but they will be there this week and I hope one of them take charge of this campaign. Spoke to a few teachers who are outraged at this proposal and they have started a letter writing campaign and the feeling I get has been echoed by Cathy, total disbelief from a lot of people at Rush and Balbriggan getting the thin edge of stick again

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Got handed a leaflet in Balbriggan today about a meeting on next Monday (29 April) at 7.30 in Balbriggan Town Hall above the library about the reduced opening hours of BB library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Why do Public Authorities always concentrate their efforts on reducing customer services or seeking tax increases, when finances get tighter?

Faced with similar economic constraints, private sector companies and voluntary organisations have to find ways of reducing costs and increasing revenues without increasing prices or reducing service levels – no matter how hard this is to do. But these organisations have no choice but to do this or go out of business.

County Councils have highly paid and qualified managers, yet they seem only able to implement marginal cost savings – the bulk of their costs relate to staff but this cost area is deemed almost untouchable.

It’s about time Councils woke up to the changed economic circumstances of the country and started to do something meaningful about it, other than levy more and more charges on the ordinary citizens.

Maybe this is just another issue they pass into the “too hard to do” file – easier to pile on extra charges to the taxpayer and reduce services to the public at the same time!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This thread is specifically about cutbacks in Library services & its impact on the respective DCN communities. If you wish to discuss cutbacks in general & the wider impacts in DCN - start a new thread.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

The cutbacks in the Library opening hours are a direct result of the Recruitment embargo and the reduction in staff in Libraries since the embargo came in 5 years ago. They are not allowed recruit new staff for the new Library in Donabate. People who keep looking for reductions in the Public service need to realise there are consequences to all staff reductions.

I hope these opening hours cuts can be reversed as the libraries provide an essential community service, especially in times of Unemployment and a recession.

Was anyone at the meeting in Balbriggan last night? I couldn't make it myself and just wondering if there were any developments?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭qpd

Disgusted at what is happening to services in Balbriggan.
    Any idea how I would get in touch with campaign organisers, might be able to donate my services with printing flyers or posters if it's not too late.

Richard

qpd wrote: »
    Disgusted at what is happening to services in Balbriggan.
    Any idea how I would get in touch with campaign organisers, might be able to donate my services with printing flyers or posters if it's not too late.

Richard

Ill pm you Joe's Number.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭qpd

Thanks Cathy, will check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 KGBalbrig

Please Support LOVE YOUR LIBRARY this Saturday 11th 2-4pm.
    All Welcome.Lets fight the cutbacks to secure its future for generations.

wow sierra wrote: »
    The cutbacks in the Library opening hours are a direct result of the Recruitment embargo and the reduction in staff in Libraries since the embargo came in 5 years ago. They are not allowed recruit new staff for the new Library in Donabate.
    I have spoken to a person and Fingal can recruit and have advertised for staff for Donabate. Contract staff. People they can mess around and dump after 9 or 10 months.
    People who keep looking for reductions in the Public service need to realize there are consequences to all staff reductions.
    To a point yes. The problem is the cuts like everything else mostly effect the ones who can least take them.They are rarely taken from the over sized management teams
    I hope these opening hours cuts can be reversed as the libraries provide an essential community service, especially in times of Unemployment and a recession.
    These proposed reductions can be reversed but I would not hold much hope of Mr. O'Connor doing the right thing for Balbriggan or Rush

Was anyone at the meeting in Balbriggan last night? I couldn't make it myself and just wondering if there were any developments?

From what I heard the meeting in Balbriggan was good. Have been out of touch for the last week but it is starting to hit home to a good few people how any proposed reduction will have a knock on effect on the many groups who use the facilities.

I would say fair play to Joe from the green party for kicking this off. He seemed to be fairly on the ball and had a few good ideas. Also I have often critised Clare Daly but have to say having listened to her at a meeting in Rush she was excellent. Not the fiery young wannbe T.D. She spoke really well and was very focused and handled the meeting very well.

KGBalbrig wrote: »
    Please Support LOVE YOUR LIBRARY this Saturday 11th 2-4pm.
    All Welcome.Lets fight the cutbacks to secure its future for generations.

Rush are hosting "A NOVEL GATHERING" this Saturday from 2 to 3pm on the Millbank.

The idea is people dress up as characters from their favorite books. Great idea and hope there is a good turnout in each town.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

Patrons in Manchester are facing similar cuts and threaten to boycott any new 'scaled down' service:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/keep-manchester-libraries-open-face-3662405

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

13-May-13: We just received notification from Joe O'Brien, Green Party Representative for Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Lusk and rural
    Fingal that Fingal County Council's plan to cut the library opening hours for Balbriggan, Rush and Baldoyle has been postponed! He has stated that we are not out of the woods yet as the money to keep the hours as they are still has to be found but at this stage he wants to acknowledge and congratulate you all in standing up for your library, coming to one of the public meetings he hosted or organising or getting involved in one of the actions against the cuts. It is heartening to see people power and democracy at work - albeit only for what is at the moment a small temporary victory. Well done to everyone who supported this campaign!

from http://www.balbriggan.info/

This is great news and a good boost for the communities concerned. But as has been stated the money still has to found and I believe it will. It might mean a few less meaningless training courses or conferences but this very well conducted campaign has sent out a message to Fingal how much people treasure their library and the value it is to our Teens who use it for research and study purposes.

YES

Advertisement