Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-students taking Summer Student Accommodation in Dublin?

Options
  • 20-04-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the above? Graduating soon, moving to Dublin full time (with girlfriend - so double room) but would like to take a short term **cheaper** place for now to get a 'feel' of Dublin and scout out a more long term accommodation.

Has anyone experience with such a scenario, are there apartment complexes which offer summer discounts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I have no idea about Dublin but in Galway what is usually student accommodation during the year becomes holiday lettings for the summer and usually go up in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

I have no idea about Dublin but in Galway what is usually student accommodation during the year becomes holiday lettings for the summer and usually go up in price.
    Really? Was under impression it'd be cheaper (taking a ~3 month lease) as there'd be much more places available

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

solarith wrote: »
    Really? Was under impression it'd be cheaper (taking a ~3 month lease) as there'd be much more places available

they can up the prices and make more money without full occupancy booking in tour groups or charging what would be a months rent for the week of the races or other similar events

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

You shouldn't have much difficulty taking over a lease but I'm not sure if it'll be cheaper. I know of a student couple heading home to Paris in early June (their landlord is allowing them to break the lease) they are two of many international students heading home-from mid may there should be plenty of accommodation available

If you were in a position to head into any of the city centre colleges and take a look at their notice boards you will find ads from students looking to sub let

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

I'm Pretty sure ive seen the likes of Portabello college advertising their campus accom for the summer months.
    I'd say if you checked online college by college you'd find most of them do let them out again. But from what I remember its not excatly cheaper.

Have a look at this Griffith college... http://www.gcd-accommodation.ie/prices/summer.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most of the student apartment complexes in Dublin go to foreign language like Italians and
    Spanish that come for the summer to learn english. You could just try to get a house share in a large house that has tenants coming and going

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fitz4

hi! i'm looking to rent out my room in a nice bright house in Dublin 8 until October (that's when the lease runs out, but you'd be welcome to stay longer if you wanted to sign a new lease then). It's a nice sized double room house in a large enough bungalow, it has a living room, separate dining room, kitchen, conservatory and back yard. i live with 2 females, one student and one professional, the house is only 5 minutes walk from Camden street and less than 20 minutes walk to grafton street. it's a really lovely home, and I'm leaving only because I've been offered work else where. PM me for more details if you're interested! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 amieethekidd

solarith wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has experience with the above? Graduating soon, moving to Dublin full time (with girlfriend - so double room) but would like to take a short term **cheaper** place for now to get a 'feel' of Dublin and scout out a more long term accommodation.

Has anyone experience with such a scenario, are there apartment complexes which offer summer discounts?

Hazelwood Northwood Santry apartments are student accommodation it's 440€ per month and that includes utilitiy bills...they aren't strict on weather you're a student or not because my friend deferred for a year and worked full time an they knew that..

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭megan2013

DCU and Gateway Student Village also do short-term student accommodation during the summer. Just check out their websites. Should be just as cheap as Hazelwood and include your bills.
    http://www.summeraccommodation.dcu.ie/ and www.gatewaystudentvillage.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Where I am in Limerick you get student accomodation for half nothing over the summer months. Quality wouldn't be the best but for €30 a week you can really fuss about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

A number of years ago my brother and his family stayed short term at U.C.D. student complex in Belfield Dublin 4. They said it was great.
    There is a fantastic new sports centre with pool at U.C.D. and you may have use of that with the rental but I,m not sure on that. An e mail or phone call will tell all.

Advertisement