Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "ould man's pub"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Went into one of these pubs described in the O.P.
    Donegal, rainy night, T.V turned off, fire blazing, tick-tocking sound of a grandfather clock in the background, Gay Byrne stting in the corner reading a newspaper (I **** you not...didn't catch what he was drinking) and the barman drying pint glasses with a tea towel....(just like in the movies).
    Just the three of us in the bar.
    I kept it street and just nodded to Gaybo saying "hows it goin" and left him at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

Haughtons Pub in Waterford is where it's at. You couldn't swing a cat in the place & the bar counter is supposedly the shortest one in Europe. They only serve Guinness or Carlsberg on draught and everything else is bottles off the shelf. Best pint of Guinness I've ever had.

Here it is http://www.vfi.ie/Pub/4080-Haughtons-Pub

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

fitzeyboy. wrote: »
    Haughtons Pub in Waterford is where it's at. You couldn't swing a cat in the place & the bar counter is supposedly the shortest one in Europe. They only serve Guinness or Carlsberg on draught and everything else is bottles off the shelf. Best pint of Guinness I've ever had.
    Always best to keep those places to yourself and tell no-one.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

I never thought about it before but I suppose if you had a bit of an auld man fetish, the auld man pub would be a dream. There's aul fellas in there morning noon and night, and they'll talk to anyone that makes eye contact with them. I guess that's why you don't hear about aul fella dating agencies, they just don't need em. And here's all the young people paying cover charges at the door of clubs in an effort to score, and most of them don't.

I tell ya, there's a lot the young people of today have to learn yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Rashers in Limerick city. Is that still in operation? An old haunt of mine, tough guy joint. :p

As a matter of interest can anyone name any pubs in their local area where NO television is allowed? Not just "they only watch the news/GAA/horses" or whatever, but absolute zero tolerance on any telly at all?

I mean I imagine there's a few, a minority by now but still a few, though I can only think of one off the top of my head. And at this stage I reckon I've (*cough*) "enjoyed the occasional glass of sherry at Easter" in all 32 counties by now, but for the life of me can't think of more than one single establishment that doesn't try to sabotage the concept of random strangers striking up conversations and becoming life long friends by slapping a 110 decibel idiot box in the middle of them.

So any TV free zones in your areas?

(ps, the only one I know is The White House in Limerick. A block down from a theatre, they used to have B&W photos of the famous actors, mostly Irish, that played there when they came in for a pint later after a performance, as it was popular with a theatre crowd)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

As a matter of interest can anyone name any pubs in their local area where NO television is allowed? Not just "they only watch the news/GAA/horses" or whatever, but absolute zero tolerance on any telly at all?

I mean I imagine there's a few, a minority by now but still a few, though I can only think of one off the top of my head. And at this stage I reckon I've (*cough*) "enjoyed the occasional glass of sherry at Easter" in all 32 counties by now, but for the life of me can't think of more than one single establishment that doesn't try to sabotage the concept of random strangers striking up conversations and becoming life long friends by slapping a 110 decibel idiot box in the middle of them.

I can't think of any. Having lived in england for the last few years I can tell you that loads of pubs there are tv free. It's bizarre but it's a lot easier to find a pub in Ireland showing premiership football on TV than in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I miss pubs like Freeney's on High Street in Galway but at this point I'd settle for one that doesn't have pokie machines and music so loud you have to shout over it.

Home for a wedding in a few months and I will be hunting down a pub one of the days with a roaring open fire and not moving except to get another pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

(ps, the only one I know is The White House in Limerick. A block down from a theatre, they used to have B&W photos of the famous actors, mostly Irish, that played there when they came in for a pint later after a performance, as it was popular with a theatre crowd)

Not quite my area, but I think Peters pub just beside Stephens Green SC doesnt have any tv. If it does, its a small one. No music playing either, grand little spot.

Also, The Castle in Cork doesn't have a tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

fitzeyboy. wrote: »

Here it is http://www.vfi.ie/Pub/4080-Haughtons-Pub

I should think that Redmond's (Scarawalsh, nr.Enniscorthy) could give Haughton's a run for its money - counterwise! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73225212&postcount=23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

Palace Bar on Fleet Street is a "conversation pub". No tv and no music, be it live or recorded. Sound of conversation the only sound permitted.

• Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭Fr_Fitzexactly

Are you sure it's just not an old Irish (punts) one?

Almost sure. I'm not going to throw money into them to try it. As far as I'm concerned they are just vending machines that don't sell anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I've been in them in Ballyknockan,Claremorris,Tralee,Castleisland and Killarney and I think ther was none in Kellys (the sinking pub) near Donadea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

This place only closed recently. It's a pity. It had been there for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Walpaper on the ceiling is as must, prefferably stained beige by decades of smokers nicotine.
    Also, the only 'food' available should be a ham and cheese toasty in a bag, accompanied by a packet of tayto, none of your 'gastro-pub' nonsense here.

• Advertisement

conorhal wrote: »
    Walpaper on the ceiling is as must, prefferably stained beige by decades of smokers nicotine.
    Also, the only 'food' available should be a ham and cheese toasty in a bag, accompanied by a packet of tayto, none of your 'gastro-pub' nonsense here.

You're talking about Kehoe's (South Anne Street) - a place to visit before you die! :D

http://collectireland.wordpress.com/2009/04/02/kehoes-south-anne-street-another-institution/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

You're talking about Kehoe's (South Anne Street) - a place to visit before you die! :D

http://collectireland.wordpress.com/2009/04/02/kehoes-south-anne-street-another-institution/

Oh I've spent many an enjoyable evening in Kehoe's! Ryan's on Parkgate st. is a nice spot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Used to go to these type of pubs to have a few pints and a chat before heading to the meat markets.

Then I discovered great stouts that actually had taste, unlike Guinness, so those places no longer interest me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

Thomas Fletcher's in Naas, Tigh Chóilí in Galway, Crowley's in Kenmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

cashback wrote: »
    Having lived in england for the last few years I can tell you that loads of pubs there are tv free. It's bizarre but it's a lot easier to find a pub in Ireland showing premiership football on TV than in England.
    You might find a TV free pub in England but good luck to you trying to get one without those irritating flashing slot/poker machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

i would add to the op that the only food allowed would be the afore mentioned tayto, pink snacks, and toasted ham and cheese batch sambos done in the plastic mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pints availible would be stout ( the ordinary kind none of your poncy icey cold stuff)
    smithwicks
    And Spaten, a decent lager from our German cousins because in fairness we never managed one in this country.

No telly at all.
    A projector can be set up for important games only.

Good quality bar stools with footrests, they may swivel or not but should be comfortable for a minimum of 8 pints.

Trouble not tolerated at all, no complete arseholes.

Village idot abuse allowed as long as it's over his head and he is not harmed.

Proposes abuse of local fool.

Doesn't know how to spell idiot.

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    Proposes abuse of local fool.

Doesn't know how to spell idiot.

Tis only a fecking typo. Jaysus. Probably sent from his iPhone or other useless piece of scrap without a keyboard

Now this begs the question.......If aul' man pubs are so popular here, why the faaack are they all closing down???

crockholm wrote: »
    Now this begs the question.......If aul' man pubs are so popular here, why the faaack are they all closing down???

Not enough customers due to people drinking at home or not drinking I'd say and too much regulation & fees associated with running a business now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot. Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came. You wanna be where you can see, our troubles are all the same...You wanna be where everybody knows your name.

And no fat chicks.

Tis only a fecking typo. Jaysus. Probably sent from his iPhone or other useless piece of scrap without a keyboard

If you're going to go down the road of slagging off the fella you perceive to be the poor auld village idiot for your own kicks, be prepared to recieve a kicking when you make a grammatical f#ck up.

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    If you're going to go down the road of slagging off the fella you perceive to be the poor auld village idiot for your own kicks, be prepared to recieve a kicking when you make a grammatical f#ck up.

You're just using this as an excuse to leave out your inner grammar nazi. I doubt you care so much about the poor auld village idiot

Go on.. own up to it

You're just using this as an excuse to leave out your inner grammar nazi. I doubt you care so much about the poor auld village idiot

Go on.. own up to it

LOL, yeah my post history is littered with correcting other posters grammar.

Back on topic, I actually 100% agree with you Father, give me an auld traditional pub over a soulless modern cafe bar anyday.

Not enough customers due to people drinking at home or not drinking I'd say and too much regulation & fees associated with running a business now.
    The custom is old men,not the type of fellah to be drinking down by the canal or back at the gaff. So lads,up off ye're arses and pop down for a pint an a small one and keep the tradition alive:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    You might find a TV free pub in England but good luck to you trying to get one without those irritating flashing slot/poker machines.

It's easy actually. None of the pubs I went to had fruit machines or a tv. Unless I was specifically going out to watch the football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

where have i claimed not to be the village idiot? eh? eh?

Sour grapes:p

Agree on the taking it if you give it bit though.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I went to the local for st Patrick's day(I usually only go to clubs) and there was no joke 2 inches of piss on the toilet floor. I find pubs quite flithy

hfallada wrote: »
    I went to the local for st Patrick's day(I usually only go to clubs) and there was no joke 2 inches of piss on the toilet floor. I find pubs quite flithy

Perhaps you should be more discerning where you imbibe? Anyway, St.Patrick's Day is not a good day to go for a drink as all the world and his wife are on the lash. Was it an "ould man's pub"? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

Anyone know the pub in Bundoran with the two old women pulling pints, a proper Formica counter, and a few tables and chairs scattered in the 'lounge' at the back?

It's near the Holyrood somewhere if I remember right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭doughef

Gott wrote: »
    Anyone know the pub in Bundoran with the two old women pulling pints, a proper Formica counter, and a few tables and chairs scattered in the 'lounge' at the back?

It's near the Holyrood somewhere if I remember right.

I think its called Brennans.. Great spot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

crockholm wrote: »

Outhouse toilet/smoking area- easier to just piss in the lane, if it's a no.2, hold it. No lights in there,and thats not a bad thing.A bit of a competition to see who can get thier stubbie into the highest crack in the stone wall.

Are you talking about your penises here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Can anyone think of a young man's old man pub? A place that's like an old man pub: no coffee, no TV, no bouncers, almost always a good pint, and always a chat sitting at the bar but without old people.

As someone said, if it's only old men going to these places they might die out. Either younger people start going to them or with age people decide they like them. There must be a pseudo-old man pub somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 lower_league

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Can anyone think of a young man's old man pub? A place that's like an old man pub: no coffee, no TV, no bouncers, almost always a good pint, and always a chat sitting at the bar but without old people.

As someone said, if it's only old men going to these places they might die out. Either younger people start going to them or with age people decide they like them. There must be a pseudo-old man pub somewhere.

the word " pseudo " and old man,s pubs do not belong in the same sentance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

osarusan wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the place.

Great spot for trad sessions too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I love old man pubs but finding one that sells Irish beer is total mission.

The Palace on Fleet St is nice and the Cobblestone is probably the best I've been in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

i remember literally stumbling into the original "davy macs" in waterford years ago, placed looked derelict from outside. inside myself and my buddy found five ould boys playin cards, at a small table. only guinness (beautiful) on draught, no women, the loo out the back. over the followin months we became "locals", even though we had just hit legal drinkin age, and they were all in their sixties, & seventies. the pub was renovated a few years later, and it broke my heart to see what had been done to the place. no sign of the ould boys, or "reggie" the ever constant barman....true for the old saying, "change is bad"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

There's one in Manchester with no television. I won't say the name but it's popular with Irish people so some might know it. It's in an incredibly dodgy backstreet, adjacent to notorious red-light streets, it's been run by the same family since the middle ages (and I think the landlady's been there the whole time...).
    Smoking is out the front until 'close' (11pm), then it's inside until proper close, which is any time the next morning. They only serve Guinness and Carlsberg, everything else in bottles (of which there aren't many), and the pub itself is the size of a living room.

I knew a bloke up from Brum for a trad session one night (a proper one, nothing oirishy), he was driving back so asked for a cup of tea. He was given a can of coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

doughef wrote: »
    I think its called Brennans.. Great spot!!

Yep, that's the place - cheers!

If any of you are ever in Cavan you should pop into the Abbey, it's our local 'old man' pub. TV's is tiny and hidden away, serves Guinness in bottles, hasn't been updated since the 50s, and has this old woman smaller than the counter pulling pints.

Was rather popular with my guests during the Fleadh for the novelty of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

guess that seans athlone is the best example of a young man's old man's pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

The jacks should be dank and foul smelling with no soap, no mirror, no bogroll and no toiletseats and with dried scutter on the wall.

Cut up squares of the Sunday World are allowed as bog roll or maybe the shiny brown paper that the draper would wrap your vests in.

And of course the pub must have that sticky fly killer paper with several dead flies on it.
    Anyone recall the name of that little pub on the right as you enter Lahinch. Owner is about 90

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

brummytom wrote: »
    There's one in Manchester with no television. I won't say the name but it's popular with Irish people so some might know it. It's in an incredibly dodgy backstreet, adjacent to notorious red-light streets, it's been run by the same family since the middle ages (and I think the landlady's been there the whole time...).
    Smoking is out the front until 'close' (11pm), then it's inside until proper close, which is any time the next morning. They only serve Guinness and Carlsberg, everything else in bottles (of which there aren't many), and the pub itself is the size of a living room.

I knew a bloke up from Brum for a trad session one night (a proper one, nothing oirishy), he was driving back so asked for a cup of tea. He was given a can of coke.

Frankie Boyle tells the one about the English lad who asked for a Lager and Lime in Glasgow only for the barman to tell him "we don't do cocktails"

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lucky frank lives

the boot inn, back of the airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My local back home is an odd hybrid of auld lads pub and not. Had a major refit there a year or two ago and before that was 1970s inside. Still has the 70s bar, absolutely full of knick-knacks that make no sense except to regulars, definitely not tourist fodder.

Toilets are (since the refit) clean and well kept, but there's no TV after about 6pm unless its Ireland/Donegal playing and then its muted during ads and off after the final whistle. Only about 5 pints on draught. Only music is live, and rare. They had a pool table but took it away after a while. The snug is possibly the darkest place I've ever been in a pub. Food is only served for funerals and maybe local football games, even though it has fairly decent kitchen facilities. Racing pages of the paper up above the urinals and a lad in the corner who takes a few bets under the table (no bookie nearby). Its an auld lads pub in every way except its clean.

Except it all changes in the smoking area at the back, a part covered beer garden setup you'd never except in an auld lads pub. TVs, music played, etc. Separate serving area with bottled beers they'd never consider having inside.

The auld lads head out the front for their smoke....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

OP, the pub you describe tends to be full of cantankerous ould fúcks that are bitter, twisted and mostly racist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I agree 100%. A pub aint a pub if it
    (A) Has door staff
    (B) Wont let you bring the dog in
    (C) The toilets don't smell of Jayes Fluid

• Advertisement
Advertisement