Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Coursework A Question

Options
  • 20-04-2013 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hello all.:) I've finished up my coursework B for Science and we've been given our mandatory experiments copy to complete. All of the experiments done thus far with my class are there but I'm concerned with the presentation of it. For example, parts of my index are near-illegible, there are things in there that shouldn't be (such as class notes), not all experiments are in order, (e.g. Conduction and Convection are together but not Radiation.) there is a little wear and tear of the copy etc. All of the required experiments will be there, but it mightn't be the nicest thing for my examiner to look at. Will any of the 10% be lost for the presentation? If so, I can redo it but I am of course under time constraints. Particularly in first year, I wasn't aware of the importance of the copy so I didn't treat it as an important exam document and neither did most of the seven teachers for that matter. I want to earn the marks associated with it so if somebody could confirm what is specifically needed, I'd appreciate it.:)

Also, will it matter if I use two copies to complete the experiments instead of one? I'm out of room in the first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

A97 wrote: »
    Hello all.:) I've finished up my coursework B for Science and we've been given our mandatory experiments copy to complete. All of the experiments done thus far with my class are there but I'm concerned with the presentation of it. For example, parts of my index are near-illegible, there are things in there that shouldn't be (such as class notes), not all experiments are in order, (e.g. Conduction and Convection are together but not Radiation.) there is a little wear and tear of the copy etc. All of the required experiments will be there, but it mightn't be the nicest thing for my examiner to look at. Will any of the 10% be lost for the presentation? If so, I can redo it but I am of course under time constraints. Particularly in first year, I wasn't aware of the importance of the copy so I didn't treat it as an important exam document and neither did most of the seven teachers for that matter. I want to earn the marks associated with it so if somebody could confirm what is specifically needed, I'd appreciate it.:)

Also, will it matter if I use two copies to complete the experiments instead of one? I'm out of room in the first.

Your teacher gives what percentage the book is worth e.g. nine experiments out of ten would be 9%, if you have them done to a high enough standard. If an examiner then wants to check that your teacher isn't just giving 10% for anything, they can get your copy and check. You should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Thanks multimate. If the teacher just signs it off, that shouldn't be a problem then. I'll just make sure that the remaining ones look nice and I might amend my index just in case.

However, a large portion of my experiments along with pretty much the rest of my school, have been copied straight from the book. Could that be problematic?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Technically, yes and every year the Science results are held back from some schools, but don't worry about it.

Don't worry about scruffy class notes and copies. The SEC would much rather see well-used and thumbed classwork notebooks than pristine 'perfect' books.

They'll hold back the result? Would that have any effect such as the result not appearing on my certificate etc?

Cheers for the advice anyway. I was a little worried that a corrector might deduct marks because some of the first year experiments might be messy or hard to read when I didn't know what the copybook was for. After all, I wouldn't enjoy that after correcting hundreds of exam scripts. I've heard that correctors check a few of the copies to verify the general standard. Is that true?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A97 wrote: »
    They'll hold back the result? Would that have any effect such as the result not appearing on my certificate etc?

Cheers for the advice anyway. I was a little worried that a corrector might deduct marks because some of the first year experiments might be messy or hard to read when I didn't know what the copybook was for. After all, I wouldn't enjoy that after correcting hundreds of exam scripts. I've heard that correctors check a few of the copies to verify the general standard. Is that true?

Every year the results in some subjects (Science and Art for example) are held back for a small minority of schools while the school (or teacher) explains apparent similarities in student's work. Once the SEC are satisfied, the results are released. Unless something untoward is found, your certificate will not be affected.

I don't know the procedure for correcting Science, sorry.

• Advertisement

Alright. Thanks for all of the help. It's nice to have that clarification. Everything should be okay then.

Advertisement