Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non swimmer emigrating to Oz

Options
  • 20-04-2013 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've recently started seriously thinking about making the move to Australia.
    As a non swimmer with a fear of water rather than an unwillingness to learn I would be interested to know if this is something that would potentially hold me back while living in Oz and travelling around Thailand etc on the way there.

appreciate any feedback :) thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You should be fine. A minority of Australians can't swim either. You can always learn to swim or just hang out at the pool/breach doing something other than swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I believe the internal combustion engine has recently been introduced and the need to swim to work has lessened considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Have they dropped the swim & surf test for the visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

No ones going to force you to get in the water and there's plenty of other things to do out here so you'll be fine. Personally I don't swim mostly down to saltwater and contact lenses not mixing together too well but it doesnt worry me. Only time I ever venture out of my comfort zone of waist/chest height water at the beach is if i'm using a bodyboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Solair wrote: »
    Have they dropped the swim & surf test for the visa?
    Yeah but the Southern Cross tattoo and 1000 VB bottle cap collection is still mandatory for citizenship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

catbear wrote: »
    Yeah but the Southern Cross tattoo is still mandatory for citizenship.

I heard they will accept a DIY Celtic Cross Tuff Sticker as a substitution.
    But remember a Tattoo does not make you a Sailor

OP, you have a choice if you want to go near water or not, unless you are stuck in one of many many natural disasters to strike Australia each and every year, in some cases it's a case of sink or swim, swimming might be a better choice than sinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Not being able to swim won't hold you back but having a fear of it will in most cases. Especially if other people want to go to the beach or hang out by pools.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Ive never liked the sea so i never go in higher than my waist, enough to keep me cool and a quick escape from the sharks with lasers!

Ive recently moved into a house with a pool with a friend who cant swim...now she can.

Moral of the story swimming is definitely not an essential requirement but being here might give you the push to learn.

Edit: sorry just read its a fear of water rather than just not having learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What's the craic with showering/bathing if you're afraid of water?

Anyway, just live inland a bit where's there no sea and water restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

caitwoo89 wrote: »
    I've recently started seriously thinking about making the move to Australia.
    As a non swimmer with a fear of water rather than an unwillingness to learn I would be interested to know if this is something that would potentially hold me back while living in Oz and travelling around Thailand etc on the way there.

appreciate any feedback :) thanks

Unless you are very wealthy it is unlikely that you will be living in a beachfront house in Oz, pools have to have a safety fence around them by law here so unlikely you'll accidentally fall in to one. Chances are you will live be far from beach and pool and it won't be part of your life. The only time this fear will crop up here is potentially on a small boat trip, great barrier reef etc as its unlikely that you're going to go racing into the surf the minute you set foot in Bondi.
    To be honest, the heat of summer here will perhaps make you address your fear and want a cool dip, there are many many swim schools so it shouldn't be difficult to find a class.
    In Thailand if you travel to the islands or do a boat trip, you will probably encounter small boats, maybe outriggers and here is the one place that you will have to jump into the sea, it's usually just waist height but if you have the fear this is the one situation that will get you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement