Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website for Unused/Under Utilised Work Space?

Options
  • 20-04-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hello guys,

Something like this may exist already. Was thinking there could be an opportunity for business owners/landlords who have small vacant spaces, unusual spaces or a spare office or storage room for example, to let the space out to fledgling entrepreneurs.

To provide an example - I have been running a part time business in the golf industry for the past year whilst working full time. I only needed a small space to let rather than a full retail/industrial unit. This is something I found quite hard to come by through usual means such as Daft etc. I also think a way of landlords letting out empty spaces on short term licences in order to get money in whilst it is not let to a 'proper' tenant would be good. Don't get me wrong, some of the existing property sites are great, but may not accommodate the more non-traditional properties or rental arrangements.

I would think there is a significant level of available spaces where existing businesses or landlords could make some extra money by letting or sub-letting to an entrepreneur for fee. They might take rent or an equity investment in the business, maybe a combination of both.

Normally I wouldn't go describing ideas on a public forum, but I was just thinking this would be an interesting business to do even on a not-for-profit basis just to help startup entrepreneurs get going.

Any input/discussion welcome!

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I'm trying to do something very similar, but about a 1000 miles away and from a slightly different perspective. If you want to brainstorm the idea a bit, PM your contact details and I'll send you a bit more info.

Here (France) the main problem is owners/landlords with unoccupied property that they can't sell while anyone looking for an incubator unit is asked to pay anything up to 300€ a month from day one (official France doesn't believe in supporting young entrepreneurs). My proposition is to work with one or more local estate agents (I've got the first one on board) and look at these empty buildings with a fresh eye, to ask "What would work in this space/this location? How could we divide up the property (at minimal) cost to make it more attractive?"

The idea is to bring the entrepreneurs and owners together and find a productive use for the space that is otherwise not earning anyone any money. The "tenant" would either agree a formal lease, buy the space or move out within a period defined on a case-by-case basis.

FWIW, in another context, I sketched the idea last year to someone in RTE and they were interested in using it for their "Local Heroes" programme ... only that doesn't extent to France!

Advertisement