Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hdmi lead

Options
  • 20-04-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,need some help,got a new 20 metre hdmi lead yesterday,plugged into into tv and laptop and.......nothing!
    I have verified the cable works by plugging it into media player!

The weird thing is if I use my 3 ft hdmi from laptop to tv everything works perfectly??

Head is wrecked,any suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sounds like the HDMI lead is too long for the laptop to transmit over. Bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Have you tried lowering the resolution of the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Thought it might be to long alright,anyway to sort that?or is it a new laptop job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thanks for replys lads pain in the ass that I have been defeated by this!lmight have a look at the baluns!

Anyone know the reason why it can't output due to length?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Thanks for replys lads pain in the ass that I have been defeated by this!lmight have a look at the baluns!

Anyone know the reason why it can't output due to length?

Is the 20 meter "high speed" or "standard" ?

johndoe99 wrote: »
    Is the 20 meter "high speed" or "standard" ?

Ye it's a high speed cable mate,does that make a difference?

Ye it's a high speed cable mate,does that make a difference?

High Speed is best for anything over 10 meters.

was just again reading your original post, and noticed: "hdmi from laptop to tv ".

just wondering is HDCP playing a part in this due to the long cable.

Can u provide the specs of your laptop, including graphics card.

High Speed is best for anything over 10 meters.

was just again reading your original post, and noticed: "hdmi from laptop to tv ".

just wondering is HDCP playing a part in this due to the long cable.

Can u provide the specs of your laptop, including graphics card.

It's a dell studio 1735 bout 3/4 years old now at this stage

there are 2 models of the "dell studio 1735", the 'base model' and and 'best
    model'.

the best model has the "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650", this supports HDCP, and would have no problem outputting to a TV at any resolution.

the base model has the "Intel Graphics Accelerator 4500", this also supports
    HDCP, but its not as powerful as the the previous and may result in poor video
    playback and over longer distances may not playback at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not about GPU power here tbh, its the interfaces transmission power.

Maxamillius: Laptops are designed to run on a battery so everything uses as little power as it can, your media box on the other hand is mains powered all the time so the designer doesnt care how much the HDMI interface draws.

There's a good chance a new laptop would have the exact same problem. A desktop you'd have more luck with, very likely to work out of the box if it has a discrete GPU.

I've no history with these but something like this: http://www.uniqueproductsonline.com/hdmirepeater.html theoretically would make your 20m link compatible with any device you wanted to connect.

there are 2 models of the "dell studio 1735", the 'base model' and and 'best
    model'.

the best model has the "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650", this supports HDCP, and would have no problem outputting to a TV at any resolution.

the base model has the "Intel Graphics Accelerator 4500", this also supports
    HDCP, but its not as powerful as the the previous and may result in poor video
    playback and over longer distances may not playback at all.

Looks like I have the intel 965 chipset?!!bummer

ED E wrote: »
    Its not about GPU power here tbh, its the interfaces transmission power.

Maxamillius: Laptops are designed to run on a battery so everything uses as little power as it can, your media box on the other hand is mains powered all the time so the designer doesnt care how much the HDMI interface draws.

There's a good chance a new laptop would have the exact same problem. A desktop you'd have more luck with, very likely to work out of the box if it has a discrete GPU.

I've no history with these but something like this: http://www.uniqueproductsonline.com/hdmirepeater.html theoretically would make your 20m link compatible with any device you wanted to connect.

The hdmi repeater looks like it could be worth a shot,thanks for that mate

Advertisement