Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Yes - with twins!

part of me is half hoping for a caesarian to avoid the pain of labour! But then there is the pain of recovery and trying to life/carry two babies with a healing wound! Eitherway, I don't think I will avoid pain unfortunately. :(

That's what I thought :-D Anyway, not too worry about the pain .. I went through 16 hours of active labour and ended up with C section on my first one... Now they are giving me a choice try to go naturally or planned section... I may be mad but I said u will try to go naturally first... If I was asked which pain was worse I would say the labour without a doubt. But... You never know how you will respond to a surgery so I guess I was just very lucky back then. I was able to do everything (including) house works 8 days after the section. Had a little pain here and there and was not able to walk for miles but I had no major pains which I would have to take pain killers for! As I said I guess I was lucky. I just believe the quicker you get back to doing things after the section the quicker you recover. I never had a problem ti lift or hold my little one and he was born massive at 4,18kg and 55,5cm! I know girls who were recovering from natural birth much longer than I was recovering after the section.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Elle13 wrote: »
    That's what I thought :-D Anyway, not too worry about the pain .. I went through 16 hours of active labour and ended up with C section on my first one... Now they are giving me a choice try to go naturally or planned section... I may be mad but I said u will try to go naturally first... If I was asked which pain was worse I would say the labour without a doubt. But... You never know how you will respond to a surgery so I guess I was just very lucky back then. I was able to do everything (including) house works 8 days after the section. Had a little pain here and there and was not able to walk for miles but I had no major pains which I would have to take pain killers for! As I said I guess I was lucky. I just believe the quicker you get back to doing things after the section the quicker you recover. I never had a problem ti lift or hold my little one and he was born massive at 4,18kg and 55,5cm! I know girls who were recovering from natural birth much longer than I was recovering after the section.

Have to agree with you on that, I found the 21 hours of labour worse than the section but I could have been one of the lucky ones aswel!
    I did take it easy enough for the first two weeks :) I didn't have any problems lifting baby, feeding or with any baby things that needed to be done.

Elle13 - hope you get to have a natural birth, I would love to (I think!) but as there will be just under a year between my two my consultant would prefer me to have section this time aswel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

My scan is tomorrow "afternoon tea" be glad to have it done now as even though I've been feeling the baby move since 16 weeks and had a early scan, I kinda want proof the baby is still in there!!

Also, I'm so convinced it's a boy and I talk to him like he's a boy so would like to know for sure.

I've already picked out a boy and girl name, I only seem to like the ones I've picked out but I also want to have a bit of list in case the name I've picked doesn't actually suit.

I'm hoping for a natural birth, I'm on the domino scheme and it really works for me. I really like the idea of getting to leave the hospital 6 hours after birth(all going to plan anyway). I've already met two of the midwives and I just found them lovely, I got a bit upset at the appt and they calm me right down.

Also...might be TMI but has anyone else breasts started leaking yet? Mine started there last week, couldn't believe it as I didn't think it happened this early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Hi everyone!
    I don't often post cos luckily everything's been going well and nothing strange to report. Seems like ages ago we had our scan so I'm jealous of all you ladies who have it coming - it's so exciting! We're having a girl due nov 29th although I thought based on a previous scan it would e been a week later. Im assuming ill go over into dec anyway! Starting antenatal classes this week so should be interesting. Hope you're all keeping well!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    My scan is tomorrow "afternoon tea" be glad to have it done now as even though I've been feeling the baby move since 16 weeks and had a early scan, I kinda want proof the baby is still in there!!

Also, I'm so convinced it's a boy and I talk to him like he's a boy so would like to know for sure.

I've already picked out a boy and girl name, I only seem to like the ones I've picked out but I also want to have a bit of list in case the name I've picked doesn't actually suit.

I'm hoping for a natural birth, I'm on the domino scheme and it really works for me. I really like the idea of getting to leave the hospital 6 hours after birth(all going to plan anyway). I've already met two of the midwives and I just found them lovely, I got a bit upset at the appt and they calm me right down.

Also...might be TMI but has anyone else breasts started leaking yet? Mine started there last week, couldn't believe it as I didn't think it happened this early.

Oh cool, Im on the Domino scheme also - have my first midwife appt on wednesday this week! Kind of looking forward to meeting the midwives, have heard lovely things about them. Good to hear they were reassuring!

No I haven't started leaking yet - I'm sure I read somewhere it can happen early on - must have been a shock!!!! did you put pads in yout bra then or...? what are you meant to do? Isn't it mad how much our bodies are changing!!

Are you going to find out the sex of your baby then? So exciting!! What hospital are you going to?

Yeah I have picked a girl name but really struggling with a boy name I love...I have one but hubby doesn't like it so have to keep thinking....!

• Advertisement

Yeah if the baby plays ball then I am going to find out the sex, I can see why people wouldn't and sometimes I think I shouldn't as it would be a great surprize but really I'm not very patient. I'm dying to find out and the past few monthes have been tough physically and emotienal so I think this will be a great boost for me.

Plus, I've a few people making things for the baby that they want to start now so they want to know too.

I'm in Holles st althought this will be my first time attending them (bar an emergency). That's the other thing I like about the domino scheme is not having to go to the hospital for all the appts. I hope your midwives are as nice as mine, one of mine gave me a big hug!

Going to have to get breast pads now I think as it seems to be happening more now. It really freaked me out and I'm not even sure why. I plan on breastfeeding so I suppose it's better to freak out now than when the baby is here. I suppose I just forgot that that is what they are for, as in, they are there to feed not just for fun!!

Do you think you will pick more than just one name for each? Everyone keeps telling me I should have a few picked out but I really only like the ones I've picked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'm not due until the start of January and mine started leaking about two weeks ago. It's weird! I haven't started wearing breast pads or anything yet as it's only happened at night so far ... it seems to be getting more frequent though. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Look on the bright side ladies, at least you know you can breastfeed if you want. I had an operation many moons ago so not sure if I'll be able to. Not looking promising though as I haven't increased in size much and don't have the usual tell tale signs of milk being produced. Still time yet but I don't think Iwill actually know for sure til I try nursing. I know leaky boobs are far from ideal, but at least you know everything is in working order!

Thanks Tlachtga, anyone I'd spoke to said they thought it was very early so it's good to know it's happening to someone else.

And you're so right Hello Lady it's nothing but a good thing really once I got over the initial shock of it, I was happy to know they are in working order.

Just reading over my posts I feel like all I've done is moan about the pregnancy, sorry about that, it's just that I don't have any friends near me who have been pregnant so it's been a relieve to talk here to people who understand what I'm going through.

I keep dreaming about the babies' father for some reason, we are not on the best terms at the moment, so even though the dreams are calm I keep waking up quite upset from them. Suppose it's just the bloody hormones again, I swear if I never cry again after all this, I'll be a happy woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Hope your scan goes well today Sweet Pea :)
    I haven't had even a hint of a leaky boob, now I'm worried, I really want to breastfeed but am actually finding that to be my biggest worry/fear.

What is the Domino scheme?

Looking at cot mattresses today, they're so expensive! I just read that to reduce the risk of cot death it's better to buy a new mattress for each baby, particularly if the old mattress came from another home.

• Advertisement

Just reading over my posts I feel like all I've done is moan about the pregnancy, sorry about that, it's just that I don't have any friends near me who have been pregnant so it's been a relieve to talk here to people who understand what I'm going through.

Moan away, we all do it.... me more than others! Have a read of The Pregnant Woman's Moans Thread, it's good to remind you that you're not alone!

fima wrote: »
    Looking at cot mattresses today, they're so expensive! I just read that to reduce the risk of cot death it's better to buy a new mattress for each baby, particularly if the old mattress came from another home.

Fima have a look at this site:

http://babyaccessoriesireland.com/en/

I found it last night and the prices are very competative. The have coconut foam, buckwheat, sprung and foam mattresses and the most expensive one is only €45. At that price you wouldn't mind changing them every year or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Corkie2011

Hi all,
    Haven't posted on the site in ages. 21 weeks and having scan on Thursday. All excited. Don't worry about not having leaky breasts. I didn't with my first child and had no problem breast feeding and I also had breast surgery years ago. Best of luck everyone and chat soon x

I'm having a boy!!! A perfect little boy!! Everything within normal range anyway.

He was moving around like a nutcase for most of it, even the midwife was giving out as she was having trouble getting her measurements. He was giving quite a few digs throughout, so weird being able to see and feel him moving. Then he started sucking his thumb, couldn't believe the surge of love I had for him. Can't wait to see him now!

Fima, the domino scheme is where you only deal with the community midwives, no consultants. You have all your appts with them, they are there for the birth and visit you at home afterwards. Really works for me anyway.

The mattress is the only thing I'm being strict about buying first hand.

Congrats on your little boy Sweet-pea! Great news! Babies usually don't like the scan so they move around like crazy:-)

I am having my second baby and even though the mattress in cotbed was spotless clean and would be only hand down after his big brother we are still getting a new one too as I think it is not a massive expense and for whatever reason I think think it's better to get a new one for new baby :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

I'm having a boy!!! A perfect little boy!! Everything within normal range anyway.

Aw great news on your little boy sweet_pea!

Congratulations Sweet Pea :)
    Are we mostly boys in this thread, for those who know?

I can't sleep, I'm so tired but spend all night in half wakefulness as am conscious of sleeping on my back, I try to sleep on my left side but wake up on my back all night. It's wrecking my head! I think I'm going to go and buy one of those pregnancy pillows today and try that tonight, maybe if I have something to lean on I'll be able to stay on my left. My bf offered to switch sides with me and let me lean on him but he moves around a lot so I declined! Baby wriggling away as I type, still love this feeling so much :)

Our pram arrived yesterday, we spent an hour playing with it, taking it apart, putting it back together with car seat/toddler seat/rain cover. Put it in and out of car a few times, very very nearly took it for a spin around the block .... just about managed to stop myself :)

fima wrote: »
    Congratulations Sweet Pea :)
    Are we mostly boys in this thread, for those who know?

Our pram arrived yesterday, we spent an hour playing with it, taking it apart, putting it back together with car seat/toddler seat/rain cover. Put it in and out of car a few times, very very nearly took it for a spin around the block .... just about managed to stop myself :)

:-) I think who is getting a girl is a lucky one at this stage... Boys are born and due all around me:-)

Fima, can I just ask why are you conscious of sleeping on your back?

What travel system did you get... Some inspiration could help with deciding ;-)

I'm trying to stop sleeping on my back as it seems to turn my stomach after a while and also I've been having a lot of breathlessness and I read sleeping on your side can help with that.

I was gifted a pregnancy pillow and I've found it a god send. I never liked sleeping on my side and I'd always end up back on my back. The pillow seems to allow to lean more to the side which is a bit more comfortable.

:-)

Fima, can I just ask why are you conscious of sleeping on your back?

What travel system did you get... Some inspiration could help with deciding ;-)

I was told that sleeping on your back can cut off the placenta supply to the baby, or something like that. I don't know how true it is but I also saw it in a book. I was also told not to spend too much time on my right side as something similar can happen. So basically I spend all night freaking out and trying to sleep on my left side! It's probably ridiculous but I just cant sleep thinking about it!

I got a Movix Mothercare buggy/travel system. The pram and toddler seat with accessories was €450 and bought the Cabrio fix car seat for €130. I really like it anyway, it's light and easy to use and looks similar to Quinny (same manufacturer)

• Advertisement

Congrats Sweet Pea! Yes it seems like there are alot of boys on here!! So so curious now, but always said I wanted a surprise - so hard waiting though!!!

Had my first midwife appt with the Domino scheme this morning, was just a quick check up really and got to hear the heart beat again on those little machines they have, so lovely! Although I found out I am rhesus negative blood group today (i was told I would hear after my bloods were taken at my first booking appt but I didn't so presumed all was ok!) so means I may have to have injections of antibodies at some stage - sounds scarier than it is (I hope!) so trying not to think about it too much. Is anyone else on here rhesus negative??

no, I'm RH O+, but I know of a few mums who are RH neg. If your partner is RH+ then the baby could be either negative or positive. If the baby is positive, there is a small chance that your anti-bodies will react with babies anti-bodies. So you get the injections in advance to avoid this. As I say I know a few mums who had the injections and all of them had healthy deliveries and babies.

One of the mums had the dad tested and he turned out to be RH neg too, so she didn't need the injections as they baby was going to be RH negative. Maybe having dad get tested might be an idea first?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Congrats Sweet Pea! Yes it seems like there are alot of boys on here!! So so curious now, but always said I wanted a surprise - so hard waiting though!!!

Had m'y first midwife appt with the Domino scheme this morning, was just a quick check up really and got to hear the heart beat again on those little machines they have, so lovely! Although I found out I am rhesus negative blood group today (i was told I would hear after my bloods were taken at my first booking appt but I didn't so presumed all was ok!) so means I may have to have injections of antibodies at some stage - sounds scarier than it is (I hope!) so trying not to think about it too much. Is anyone else on here rhesus negative??

Hey im due october but im O negative. Nothing to worry about at all. If u have a fall of bang your bump u just need an injection and at 28 weeks u get the injection anywayd and at birth if baby is positive u get another one. Really nothing to worry about, just a lil injection in the bum :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Madisson wrote: »
    Hey im due october but im O negative. Nothing to worry about at all. If u have a fall of bang your bump u just need an injection and at 28 weeks u get the injection anywayd and at birth if baby is positive u get another one. Really nothing to worry about, just a lil injection in the bum :P

Just another perspective here! I had my baby in April and am rh neg. I was with holles street and didn't get the injection once which I was really happy about. They checked my blood throughout the pregnancy for antibodies, of which there were none. At birth my babies blood was tested, turns out she was rh neg too so I didn't need it, had she have been positive I would have been given the option to have the injection. Afternoon tea maybe check with your consultant/midwife at your next apt to see what the hospital policy on it is, I know some hospitals give it at 28weeks as standard. Completely personal to me but I was unhappy about having to get a blood product unless necessary.

thanks for your replies - puts my mind at ease! I am pretty sure the midwife said I would prob get an injection later on in my pregnancy anyway...I don't think I was listening too well by that stage as I had started worrying!! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Oh i am glad other people are starting to talk about travel systems. My brain has been fried looking at them!

Does anyone have any opinions on this one?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008HNZ03O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    It comes with everything and is pretty good value at £270.

Its a really good price but we dont find out the sex of the baby for 10 days and perhaps im just being silly & paranoid because it is supposed to be unisex but i wonder is it a little girly (im not a girls in pink and boys in blue kind of person so i cant even believe i am asking this question!!)?

closifer wrote: »
    Oh i am glad other people are starting to talk about travel systems. My brain has been fried looking at them!

Does anyone have any opinions on this one?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008HNZ03O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    It comes with everything and is pretty good value at £270.

Its a really good price but we dont find out the sex of the baby for 10 days and perhaps im just being silly & paranoid because it is supposed to be unisex but i wonder is it a little girly (im not a girls in pink and boys in blue kind of person so i cant even believe i am asking this question!!)?

I don't think it's girly... I picked one with polka dots also and I am having a boy too :-)

I don't think it's girly... I picked one with polka dots also and I am having a boy too :-)

Oh good! I really dont know why im being so paranoid! I dont even know yet if I am having a boy or a girl! Its a good price and i like it - just needed some reassurance :) Thanks

closifer wrote: »
    Oh good! I really dont know why im being so paranoid! I dont even know yet if I am having a boy or a girl! Its a good price and i like it - just needed some reassurance :) Thanks

I hear you:-) I love the guggy and the price! you picked :-) The only thing I would be looking at is if the sport seat can be put down flat for toddler to sleep in it comfortably :-) Nothing wrong if it does not have that option but it's just something I would be really conscious about and what I really want (just talking from my previous experience as this is my second baba):-)

• Advertisement

I hear you:-) I love the guggy and the price! you picked :-) The only thing I would be looking at is if the sport seat can be put down flat for toddler to sleep in it comfortably :-) Nothing wrong if it does not have that option but it's just something I would be really conscious about and what I really want (just talking from my previous experience as this is my second baba):-)

Never really thought of that! This is the other one I am looking at. Out of interest, which model would you go for?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BTTNE9A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Advertisement