Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Anyway, just looking for some suggestions/advice, my brother in law and his wife have offered us some baby stuff - cot, steriliser, stair gates etc; to save us having to buy them. They are all in immaculate condition and we will be delighted to accept them. What should we offer them as payment/thanks?
    We don't want to insult them by offering cash but we don't want to take them and not give something back. We were thinking of some kind of voucher but we were unsure what value to put on the stuff. If we gave them a voucher worth the full amount of the stuff, it would defeat the whole purpose of us getting the stuff second half but we don't want to give them too little either. Any suggestions/advice welcome x

I'm getting a lot of things given to me (from my sister, neighbors, etc) I wasn't planning on giving any kind of financial retribution for this. My understating is that people offer pregnant women all kind of items without actually wanting anything in return.

Maybe it's just the people I know though, we all trade stuff from time to time and I know I've given them all professional help over the years for free with thinking about it.

I think the idea with baby things is that you look after as best you can so if they need them back at some point they are fit for use or you can offer them to someone else who may need them.

I don't believe they'd accept a payment (in cash or voucher) and might defeat the goodwill gesture. Maybe take them out for a nice meal or see if there is anything you can trade/offer in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Hi Fairie how did your first week back go? I hope it went ok! Must have been so hard leaving your little one but sounds lovely that your parents are able to mind him / her! and only 3 months before you start maternity again - you have the right idea there!!!

Hi afternoon tea, it's tomorrow I start back really don't know how I'm going to go into work in the morning. It does help a little my parents can mind my little girl she's going to be spoilt! Hmmm I'm not sure if I've the right idea having two so close together although I am very happy I've only 12 weeks in work. Maybe it'll be easier to go back after baby no 2 I'll be going in for a break ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Don't have piles (yet) but I have a more embarassing ailment... I struggle to wipe my bum! :eek: Seriously! between the extra expanse my little arms have to get around, added to the fact that due to my sciatica I can't twist and add in carpal tunnel syndrome so my hands don't even work, and quite frankly you have a situation where I actually feel exhausted just at the thoughts of going to the loo! :o Now don't get me wrong, I do manage! and moist toilet paper is a life saver. But my god, I feel like I've just pulled off a really complex yoga pose after each time I go and I need a little rest afterwards!!!
    So humiliating!

God pregnancy really isn't glamourous at all is it?! There are so many things that keep popping up along the way that I never expected!! You poor thing Hello Lady - sounds like a real effort!! Piles are getting worse, I think I may have to go to the doc! Cringing at the thought if they have to look at them but then I think I'd better get used to these things before D Day!!!!!!!! agh!!

First day back at work done. It was alot harder than I thought the pregnancy hormones really didn't help the situation, but only 11 weeks and 4 days to do! On the plus side i got the biggest smile and cuddle in the world from my little girl when I got home it made my day :D

God I just love the domino scheme, had my midwife appt there at one o'clock and I'm already home having a cup of tea.

Better book the bloody anti natal classes, keep forgetting to do that.

• Advertisement

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    God I just love the domino scheme, had my midwife appt there at one o'clock and I'm already home having a cup of tea.

Better book the bloody anti natal classes, keep forgetting to do that.

Hi sweet pea, its great isn't it! No waiting around!! When do the anti natal classes start? Last time I asked they said I don't need to book in too far ahead, I'm 25wk now.

When do the anti natal classes start? Last time I asked they said I don't need to book in too far ahead, I'm 25wk now.

I've been told not to do them till around 34 weeks but I heard they can book out. If you have restricted times as to when you can go then it's be better to book them now. Although, I found out yesterday I don't have to go into Hollis street, can do them where I see the midwife. Just want to get them out of the way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I've been told not to do them till around 34 weeks but I heard they can book out. If you have restricted times as to when you can go then it's be better to book them now. Although, I found out yesterday I don't have to go into Hollis street, can do them where I see the midwife. Just want to get them out of the way now.

Im in Limerick and have started them at 28 weeks. They are so helpful.

closifer wrote: »
    They are so helpful.

What do they actually go through, I understand they can go through the labour part but I've already gone through this with midwife and pretty relaxed about it.

I know they go through some baby care but even so I'm only planning on doing one or two classes, just to thick the box at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

What do they actually go through, I understand they can go through the labour part but I've already gone through this with midwife and pretty relaxed about it.

I know they go through some baby care but even so I'm only planning on doing one or two classes, just to thick the box at this point.

Well in our first class - they did some baby care stuff but what I found most helpful was the tour of the hospital and the tour of an actual labour ward. The midwife explained where to go when we come in and step by step of what will happen once we go into labour, where your partner will be at all times. She talked us through pain relief options etc. etc.

To be honest this was all new to me and it put my mind at ease.

• Advertisement

Yeah fair enough.

See mine won't be in the hospital so wouldn't be getting the tour bit anyway. I'm alright about the labour part so it's not much interest for me.

See what happens anyway I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

They also advise you on physio stuff, practical things for when baby arrives, etc etc. Even if you don't plan on giving birth in hospital, it may well come to that if you go over your dates, so it's no harm to be familiar with the hospital and the other possibilities other than a natural birth.

I'm 23 weeks and have already had my first class in the rotunda and most of the other mums were around 26-30 weeks (i'm starting early because of the twins). I got the rest of my appointments today and they are more or less every week between now and the middle of october. It means I won't be on maternity for the last two so will have to use flex time or unpaid leave to attend, but that is a minor inconvenience.

Just to let you know as well, for those who aren't aware, daddy gets to attend the last 2 classes and work is obliged to pay him for the time off. This only applies to one set of classes, so if he has availed of it before he can't avail of it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Hi all! Hope everyone's keeping well :) I'm 28 + 5 now ... In agony with pelvic girdle pain/sciatica and really nauseous from iron tablets. It's all moving up a gear now, have a growth scan in 2 weeks then appointments every two weeks between Gp and Midwife. Starting ante-natal classes at 32 weeks, I booked these months ago as was advised they book out early in Limerick. Was supposed to attend a breast feeding workshop last week but had a funeral so had to miss it. Babogs room is painted, just airing out now then I can decorate :)

Cried my eyes out watching Midwives last 2 weeks. Actually sobbed when the little babies were shown. Mortified!

Oh I'm having the baby in the hospital, the anti natal classes won't be (that's what I meant about not getting the tour).

I've been told by a couple of midwifes to leave it till 32/34 weeks so that's what I'm going to do to, as I said I've already gone through the labor options with the midwife so not too concerned with that.

Gave in an actually bought a little outfit for the boy today, was so cute couldn't resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Just got a load of the bitty things in the boots 3for 2 sale yesterday. Saved €30 so pretty pleased with that :-) all just practical stuff like nappies, soothers, nipple cream, maternity pads etc. I'm saving the fun stuff for another few weeks :-)
    The little snow suits are so cute! Can't wait to wrap baby up in one :-)

Do you know how long the baby event is on till. Want to get some stuff for "the bag" next week. I have a couple of people in my life absolutely convinced I'm going to go very early so I said I'd get the hospital bag sorted to calm their nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Excited!

Helloo everyone,

I havent been on for ages now, hope everyone is well.

Its such a different forum now that we're much further along and we are all experiencing the real pregnancy stuff life piles, sciatica, struggling to use the loo, ive been experiencing a bit of all of them aswell as trying to shave my legs properly being a big ordeal, and although i expected trouble in my lower back as ive had surgery there and its weak in general i also have pain in my upper back between shoulder blades, its exhausting!!! Worst of all though is im supposed to wear these support tights because of veins...every day and it is such a struggle (they go from toe to thigh), when i do it in the morning im already exhausted before i get out of the bedroom!!! work is getting very difficult, the long shifts and physical aspect of it, the dr will def be signing me off early.

Rant over lol, these are all just the little things no one tells you about but im sure there's plenty more of those little 'surprises' after the birth. They are all only minor though, im still so so happy to be where i am.

I do have my wobbles which im not sure if im alone in or not by sometimes worrying will i be good enough with my baby, will i know the right things to do if baby is sick etc......i think im just worried about these things because im so close to my own family and my husband and bought a place beside his parents a year ago and its now that its dawning on my that my support network is not right there where its always been! Im sure ill be fine though, really looking forward to it now. Im 27 weeks last friday so on the countdown.

Lots of love to all mammies to be!!! x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Do you know how long the baby event is on till. Want to get some stuff for "the bag" next week. I have a couple of people in my life absolutely convinced I'm going to go very early so I said I'd get the hospital bag sorted to calm their nerves!

I think I read 17th or 18th sept on one of the signs.

Excited! wrote: »
    Rant over lol, these are all just the little things no one tells you about but im sure there's plenty more of those little 'surprises' after the birth. They are all only minor though, im still so so happy to be where i am.
    I do have my wobbles which im not sure if im alone in or not by sometimes worrying will i be good enough with my baby, will i know the right things to do if baby is sick etc......i think im just worried about these things because im so close to my own family and my husband and bought a place beside his parents a year ago and its now that its dawning on my that my support network is not right there where its always been! Im sure ill be fine though, really looking forward to it now. Im 27 weeks last friday so on the countdown.

Hi excited,
    You are not alone with the little wobbles we all have them and the lovely pregnancy hormones don't help. But try not to worry once baby arrives everything will be ok, mammy instinct will kick in and you will know what to do. It really doesn't take long to know your baby and what each sound or cry means and before you know it you are supermom with baby in one arm (feeding, soothing, singing, dancing about the place ;) ) and cooking, cleaning, having a cuppa, eating and hundreds of other things with the other arm!!
    I've had an awful headache since yesterday morning, easing off a little bit now. Went to gp this morning bp is very high so back again Thursday. Hopefully it'll be down by then, I had pre-eclampsia that was continuing in the wrong direction on my first pregnancy really do not want that to happen again!
    Hope everyone is keeping well :)

I've been told by a couple of midwifes to leave it till 32/34 weeks
    really?? because in the hospital I am attending there are 6 classes each a week apart. If you wait til week 34 then it is cutting it a bit fine. Most of the other women in my class were around the 26/28 week at the first class.
    Either way, you need to book them sooner rather than later as they do book up VERY quickly.

• Advertisement

Yeah maybe it's different in the domino scheme. I kinda feel like I've already covered a lot of the labor issues directly with the midwives. I'm gonna ring later to book but will leave it till about 30 + weeks. Most likely wouldn't be doing the full course of them anyway.

I'm having a very productive day in terms of getting the house in some shape for the newcomer. Getting rid of a lot of crap that will give so much needed space. It seems to be very therapeutic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

I rang the hosp this morning and booked myself in for a pelvic girdle pain management class, spent the weekend hobbling around and decided I cant go on like this for another 11 weeks! So I shall be fastening myself in to some type of girdle from Thursday :( As if I wasn't feeling crap enough already!

29 weeks today and having serious wobbles, Excited you are not alone! I'm having really sad dreams and also getting emotional over the fact that I think no one else will love this baby as much as me. It's mad because I know they will but It's just the ol' hormones!

Helloo everyone,

I havent been on for ages now, hope everyone is well.

Its such a different forum now that we're much further along and we are all experiencing the real pregnancy stuff life piles, sciatica, struggling to use the loo, ive been experiencing a bit of all of them aswell as trying to shave my legs properly being a big ordeal, and although i expected trouble in my lower back as ive had surgery there and its weak in general i also have pain in my upper back between shoulder blades, its exhausting!!! Worst of all though is im supposed to wear these support tights because of veins...every day and it is such a struggle (they go from toe to thigh), when i do it in the morning im already exhausted before i get out of the bedroom!!! work is getting very difficult, the long shifts and physical aspect of it, the dr will def be signing me off early.

HI Excited , yes the forum definitely has a different feel to it now we are all getting further into our pregnancies! It's mad all the things that pop up along the way I had never heard of - my OH keeps saying the same every time I have something new to moan about ha! I'm noticing the skin on my tummy is itching more, trying to ignore it for now!

I'm def with you on the worries - I had a few days a week or so back where I was hit with this fear - what if I don't know what to do, what if I'm not good enough, what if I don't bond with the baby, what if I'm too tired to function?! what if I don't make any baby friends agh! I suppose it's all normal though isn't it - think it's a way of preparing ourselves for our lives about to change!! Feel in a calmer place now though thank god! Every time I picture a chubby baby in a little baby gro all smiley it just makes me so excited!!

Yeah, I'm actually from the UK so don't have any family here and OH only has a few near by, bit daunting! I know my mum will be over every month and I'm planning on heading home every other month too (don't know how realistic that will be when the time comes!!) Am 26 weeks this week, time is flying!!

Yeah maybe it's different in the domino scheme. I kinda feel like I've already covered a lot of the labor issues directly with the midwives. I'm gonna ring later to book but will leave it till about 30 + weeks. Most likely wouldn't be doing the full course of them anyway.

I'm having a very productive day in terms of getting the house in some shape for the newcomer. Getting rid of a lot of crap that will give so much needed space. It seems to be very therapeutic!

Hi, yeah I think it is different on the Domino scheme - I mentioned the anti-natal classes to the midwife at my last appt and she said I don't need to worry about them yet and they'll book me in around week 30 as they run them seperately at different clinics. I'll ask at my next appt in a few weeks.

Thinking of popping over to look at prams in my lunch break, I am kind of dreading the real search for a pram but think may just look now and see whats out there, really feel like I don't have a clue! All I know is I want a carry cot style that baby can sleep in overnight, saves buying a moses basket!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Excited!

Fairie wrote: »
    Hi excited,
    You are not alone with the little wobbles we all have them and the lovely pregnancy hormones don't help. But try not to worry once baby arrives everything will be ok, mammy instinct will kick in and you will know what to do. It really doesn't take long to know your baby and what each sound or cry means and before you know it you are supermom with baby in one arm (feeding, soothing, singing, dancing about the place ;) ) and cooking, cleaning, having a cuppa, eating and hundreds of other things with the other arm!!
    I've had an awful headache since yesterday morning, easing off a little bit now. Went to gp this morning bp is very high so back again Thursday. Hopefully it'll be down by then, I had pre-eclampsia that was continuing in the wrong direction on my first pregnancy really do not want that to happen again!
    Hope everyone is keeping well :)

Hi Fairie,
    Hope your headache has gone and you are feeling a bit better today, Its good your going back again on Thursday to have your bp checked again and hopefully it will be down for you. Best of luck with it and let us know how you get on?

Thanks for the reassurance Im grand in general just every now and then have those 'what if' moments but yeah like you said when baby is here it wont take long and I probably wont have time to worry!!

Thanks also ''afternoon tea'' your right time is flying and theres so much to do. Ive got crib set up in bedroom now but a lot of clearing out and space making to do.

Also want to try get the hospital bag done this week what are you guys putting in? I know you'll have a good idea Fairie coz you've been there before. A midwife friend of my husbands told me to bring ear plugs and one of those sleep cover thingys for your eyes because if you OH comes into hospital and takes the baby for awhile to have their little bonding time, you don't need to be alert so cover eyes and stick in earplugs to drown out all the other babies and get 40 winks! I will pack them because I might just need them but at the moment im thinking id be too excited to do that....but I might be too exhausted not to go for a snooze lol!

Afternoon tea, I was in a shop there last week looking at prams. Came out even more confused, I kinda have a handle on everything else I want to use but the pram thing is just turning into one big headache. I'm going to using a sling so I may wait till after the baby is born to get one, I feel I may have more of a handle on what I need from a pram once the baby is here.

Excited, I'm glad you're looking into your hospital bag too I thought I was the only one being early. There is a good list in the October thread at the moment. I'm still deciding what I'm putting into mine although I'm definitely packing more than one bag for me. One bag will have what I need if it all goes to plan(and can leave on the same day, fingers crossed) and one bag left at home that if I end up having to stay more than a day can be brought in to me.

Hello Lady, just wanted to say, I was thinking about you last night. A twins lady joined my yoga class last night, it's the first time tbh I could really appreciate the extra strain of a multiple pregnancy. She was about 5/6 weeks behind me but her bump was bigger than mine, also she will probably give birth before me. My boy was kicking his way through the class and all I could think was she has two pairs of feet in there thumping away.

As you can tell I suck at the meditation part of yoga, my mind just goes off on it's own little tangents.

Thinking of popping over to look at prams in my lunch break, I am kind of dreading the real search for a pram but think may just look now and see whats out there, really feel like I don't have a clue! All I know is I want a carry cot style that baby can sleep in overnight, saves buying a moses basket!!

Pram shopping is a HEADWRECKER!!!! well for me with the whole twin pram thing! Just FYI, a lot of the prams (even the expensive ones) are not recommended for overnight sleeping. I just plan on letting them sleep in the carry cots during the day downstairs and then at night put them into their cots upstairs. I'm not bothering with moses baskets because they grow out of them so quickly and space is a factor in our house.

Also, worth knowing that mothercare do mother and baby evenings every month - check with your nearest branch what night its on - and anything you buy on the night which is full price gets a 10% discount. I am heading to my mothercare at the end of the month so I order and pay a deposit on my pram and get the discount which on my baby jogger will save me €150.

Sweet Peas suggestion of waiting til bubs arrives is a good one - so many people buy a pram in their 'pre-baby' mindset and then it doesn't suit their lifestyle. This is my biggest stress - picking the wrong one and spending over €1000 on something that doesn't suit! But with 2 to take care of waiting until after isn't really an option :(
    So perhaps use a sling or pick up a cheap second hand pram for the first few weeks and then when you know what you do/don't really want or need then invest properly. You can always sell on the cheap one on adverts.ie or done deal or something.
    Hello Lady, just wanted to say, I was thinking about you last night. A twins lady joined my yoga class last night, it's the first time tbh I could really appreciate the extra strain of a multiple pregnancy. She was about 5/6 weeks behind me but her bump was bigger than mine, also she will probably give birth before me. My boy was kicking his way through the class and all I could think was she has two pairs of feet in there thumping away.
    Aw thanks for the concern! This is my first pregnancy, so I don't know any different really, so its only when I see single pregnancy mums that I realise how much my body is having to endure. But its good in a way that it's my first pregnancy because as I say I don't know any different and just have to get on with it. That said, I am huge, I am being kicked constantly by either one or the other or both of the girls, I have feet the size of blimps and I get totally out of breath just walking up the stairs - and I'm only 23+5! My babies alone weigh over 1 kg, not to mention the fluid and placenta! My sister keeps telling me to take it easy, I'm doing too much, but compared to normal I feel like a lazy bint!

As for the relaxation part of yoga??? not a bother for me - I usually struggle to come back to reality!

Hi Fairie,

Thanks also ''afternoon tea'' your right time is flying and theres so much to do. Ive got crib set up in bedroom now but a lot of clearing out and space making to do.

Also want to try get the hospital bag done this week what are you guys putting in? I know you'll have a good idea Fairie coz you've been there before. A midwife friend of my husbands told me to bring ear plugs and one of those sleep cover thingys for your eyes because if you OH comes into hospital and takes the baby for awhile to have their little bonding time, you don't need to be alert so cover eyes and stick in earplugs to drown out all the other babies and get 40 winks! I will pack them because I might just need them but at the moment im thinking id be too excited to do that....but I might be too exhausted not to go for a snooze lol!

Excited - I'll have to remember to put earplugs on the list! haven't even thought about the bag, I keep putting everything off as it feels too early but then again I imagine time will just creep up and also if we leave it too late we'll be bigger and won't really feel like trapsing the shops for things!

Can I ask what the difference is between a crib and a cot? can babies not sleep in a cot or is it just too big for them so early? I know a crib rocks...will a crib last longer than a moses basket??? sorry if basic questions = clueless!!

AFAIK a baby can sleep in a cot from day one. I'm planning on putting ours in the cots straight away. But I have bought those divider yokies so that they won't wriggle down the cot, and it will keep them in the one place. Will probably use the one cot, divided for both of them for the first few weeks and then put them each into a cot.

Don't think cribs last any longer than a moses basket - any I have seen have been pretty much the same size as a moses basket.

• Advertisement

AFAIK a baby can sleep in a cot from day one. I'm planning on putting ours in the cots straight away. But I have bought those divider yokies so that they won't wriggle down the cot, and it will keep them in the one place. Will probably use the one cot, divided for both of them for the first few weeks and then put them each into a cot.

Don't think cribs last any longer than a moses basket - any I have seen have been pretty much the same size as a moses basket.

Thanks Hello Lady , that's good to know - I'll look into those divider things! Think then it puts less pressure on finding a pram with a carry cot that baby can sleep in over night then.

Saw some cots and bits in Ikea, has anyone bought an Ikea cot by any chance?

Advertisement