Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mil83

"Excited wrote:
    Yeah the gestational diabetes is not at all nice I have to prick my finger and test bloods 7 times a day 1 hr before each of ur 3 meals 1 hr after each meal and before bed. My diet was Very good in early pregnancy but the last month or two I haven't exactly been denying myself and have been eating more chocolate than i should have been, I don't know if that's the cause or if its a generally thing as my sister also had it. It very hard to eat tbe right things and even when I do it can still not be right. Its hard to know exacty to understand it and know what to eat or not to tbe nurse who explained it all to us although she was lovely was not a dietician or diabetic nurse so was very limited in what she could tell us and we probably came out more confused.

Hope you're feeling better the piles are not fun!

Hope all you mums are feeling good :-)

Hi Excited

I have diabetes myself before I even fell pregnant and I know it's a pain and hard to get your head around what to eat and what not to but if you have any questions feel free to ask :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

I just had my growth scan, my baby is 3lbs 15 oz. I am FREAKING out!!!! I thought he/she would be like 1 or 2 lbs by now.....

It's brilliant to know all is well and healthy but seriously, thats one big baby!
    Was so cute, he/she was blowing bubbles and looked right at us at one point. Got some cute pics of the face with one where the hand is up to the forehead as if saying ' oh these people again, wish they would leave me alone! '

Appointment was for 9am and was back in my car at 9.15. Have to say Limerick Maternity have been brilliant the whole way, I am delighted with them so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

fima wrote: »
    I just had my growth scan, my baby is 3lbs 15 oz. I am FREAKING out!!!! I thought he/she would be like 1 or 2 lbs by now.....

It's brilliant to know all is well and healthy but seriously, thats one big baby!
    Was so cute, he/she was blowing bubbles and looked right at us at one point. Got somIe cute pics of the face with one where the hand is up to the forehead as if saying ' oh these people again, wish they would leave me alone! '

Appointment was for 9am and was back in my car at 9.15. Have to say Limerick Maternity have been brilliant the whole way, I am delighted with them so far :)

Hi fima,

Sorry for a silly question... What exactly is a growth scan and did you have to pay for it? I am in Dublin but I know I am not getting more scans part from what I had done when I was 18 weeks! I am semi-private but that should not make any difference!
    Glad all is well with your little bundle!:-)

Hey Elle13,
    To my knowledge it's routine, I am public all the way and this was my 4th scan at 30 weeks. I don't think I'll get anymore now but I would think someone semi private would get more than one. The growth scan is done at 30 - 31 weeks just to measure that baby is growing correctly. It was lovely because it's a real baby in there now and reassuring because I know if I 'went' now then bubs would have a good chance as babies have been born smaller. Ring your hosp and ask because I was just booked in for this when I questioned it at last midwife visit.

Breast feeding class next week - I'm a bit nervous it'll be all militant LaLiga types .... Hopefully not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 June Bird

Hi to all the December mammies!!

I am a due in December too but haven't been on here yet just dipped in and out a few times! Getting very excited now as it is all starting to feel very real!!

Fima can I ask you a question about the Breastfeeding classes are you doing them with the hospital or private. I think they would be really useful and would love to sign up to something similar. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Hi June Bird, Congrats!! What date are you due?
    I'm doing the class in Limerick maternity, they are in the first Thursday of every month and are free for anyone to join at any stage. I've been meaning to go for last two months so figured I better get my skates on this month and get there as I am due at very start of Dec.

Welcome and congrats again :)

** I've just remembered there's a little donation box inside the classroom that was pointed out to us at first antenatal class, since the breast feeding class is in the same place I assume it's the same principle, free to attend but maybe donate for the tea and biscuits :) **

• Registered Users Posts: 47 June Bird

Cheers Fima thanks for that! I will look into that and see if there something similar in my hospital.
    I am due the 24th of December and so this year I am looking forward to the best Christmas pressie ever!!! So 27 weeks now and getting very excited/nervous about everything!!!

Hey Elle13,
    To my knowledge it's routine, I am public all the way and this was my 4th scan at 30 weeks. I don't think I'll get anymore now but I would think someone semi private would get more than one. The growth scan is done at 30 - 31 weeks just to measure that baby is growing correctly. It was lovely because it's a real baby in there now and reassuring because I know if I 'went' now then bubs would have a good chance as babies have been born smaller. Ring your hosp and ask because I was just booked in for this when I questioned it at last midwife visit.

Breast feeding class next week - I'm a bit nervous it'll be all militant LaLiga types .... Hopefully not!!

Thanks for that fima! Nope am not due any more scans so I was actually gonna pay €150 to get another one (same one as the one at 18 weeks=big one) done at 32 weeks. I get a little look at the baby every time I go to see midwife in the hospital but it's just to see the baby no measuring or nothing like that.

Breastfeeding class is fun but I would feel the one after your baby comes is more helpful as you have the baby with you and they can see what you doing right/wrong:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Hi All! Hope everyone having a good day...
    Elle13 and Excited - am 27 weeks due on 24th December in Holles St - same due date as you June Bird! :)

I had a check up about piles (getting better thankfully!) on mon eve and the midwife there gave me a quick check up on baby-listened to heart and said I'm measuring bigger-possibly 10days ahead but that I could just be having a tall baby! So funny, keep imagining this lanky long baby now ha! So lovely to hear he heartbeat again.

Anyway yesterday then I noticed a kind of light green discharge, I've been having more discharge throughout the pregnancy but (too much info coming up...!) I noticed this green blob, rang the community midwife to ask if it was normal, she was sooo lovely and said to call in to holles st get a swab done so i did after work yesterday. Should get the results tomorrow, hoping its just a freaky normal pregnancy thing!

Just read the post above about a growth scan, I've been wondering if we've been due another one after the 20wk scan, would be so lovely as I don't want to fork out for another scan now. I may ask at next appointment in a few weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Spare a thought for me...24+5, and my last scan almost 3 weeks ago, both babies were 1lbs 4 oz. So 2.5lb more or less. They say twins' growth slows down after 28 weeks, which I hope so, otherwise they will both be monsters to deliver! The doctor even commened that they are big for twins so far. At this stage I'm thinking c-section all the way, cos if they are both full sized babies (as in 6 or 7lbs each) I dread to think what condition my poor vajayjay will end up in! :eek:

[quote="afternoon tea;86713557"the All! Hope everyone having a good day...
    Elle13 and Excited - am 27 weeks due on 24th December in Holles St - same due date as you June Bird! :)

I had a check up about piles (getting better thankfully!) on mon eve and the midwife there gave me a quick check up on baby-listen to heart and said I'm measuring bigger-possibly 10days ahead but that I could just be having a tall baby! So funny, keep imagining this lanky long baby now ha! So lovely to hear he heartbeat again.

Anyway yesterday then I noticed a kind of light green discharge, I've been having more discharge throughout the pregnancy but (too much info coming up...!) I noticed this green blob, rang the community midwife to ask if it was normal, she was sooo lovely and said to call in to holles st get a swab done so i did after work yesterday. Should get the results tomorrow, hoping its just a freaky normal pregnancy thing!

Just read the post above about a growth scan, I've been wondering if we've been due another one after the 20wk scan, would be so lovely as I don't want to fork out for another scan now. I may ask at next appointment in a few weeks![/quote]

Hi Afternoon tea,

I am due on the 16.12. In Holles St. so if you are early we may even meet there :-)
    I am gonna call the hospital about the growth scan as I checked the info file I got and no more scans are on the schedule :-/
    Hope your results of the discharge will be ok! Am having discharge all the way through the pregnancy but it was never coloured other than normal but am sure it can happen and it does not have to mean any complications!:-)

Meant to say I just watched the "Ireland's midwives" program from Holles st. So weird to think I will be having my baby there with these people in few weeks time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Excited!

Mil83 wrote: »
    Hi Excited

I have diabetes myself before I even fell pregnant and I know it's a pain and hard to get your head around what to eat and what not to but if you have any questions feel free to ask :)

Hi Mil83,

Thanks so much, dont want to be an annoying pain pain pestering you with questions!! I only found out last thursday so started monitoring bloods from last friday. The midwife said there was no dietician/diabetic nurse to go through it with us but there were 2 information leaflets and she read through them with us.

Im really trying to do the right thing and get them right but it just doesnt seem to be working. They have told us to check them 7 times a day ..1 hr before each of our 3 meals, 1 hr after each meal and then before bed. they have told us that before each meal our bloods should be under 5 so the range is 3.5-5 before meals and before bed and should be under 7 1hr after each meal.
    But i can never seem to be under the target very often even though im trying to stick to the portions etc they told us to have.

They told use we can have 2 portions of carbs with each meal and they have given us a few examples of what a portion is e.g. 1 90g potato, 1 slice of bread, 0.5 a pitta bread, 0.5 of a cup of porridge or branflakes, 0.5 a bagel) So for example this morning at 7am my bloods were 5.5 so 1 hr later i had 1 cup of porridge which made up my 2 portions of carbs and 1 banana (we are allowed two portions of fruit a day, a banana is 1) then one hr later my bloods are 11.5 :eek:. At 12.20 i test again and they are 4.5, i have one pitta bread with lettuce, tomato and chicken for lunch and after my bloods are 7.4 instead of under 7, we are allowed 2 snacks a day. they recommended vitalinea 0% yougort and a couple of nuts so i had this at about 4 then tested at 5.30pm and they were 5.6, i had a dinner of 2 tiny baby potatoes, 1 cup of veg and a chicken brest with laughing cow light cheese triangle and they were 7.7 after. Often i dont even have the snacks because i know my bloods will be higher after them.

Im just finding it so hard to get it right no matter what i do and to be honest im hungry alot of the time, which they did say we shouldnt be really hungry coz that will put bloods up etc but if im having exactly what they tell me and i still cant get it right then i dont know what to do. Im getting quite stressed out about it, i have a normal hsp appt next tue, i might ring tomorrow and see can i see someone that day to help me figure this out or something although its probably unlikely that i will.

Sorry for huge letter!! bet your sorry you asked now!! Im finished ranting now honest!!:)

Just read the post above about a growth scan, I've been wondering if we've been due another one after the 20wk scan, would be so lovely as I don't want to fork out for another scan now. I may ask at next appointment in a few weeks!

Think it might depend on the hospital your attending afternoona tea,

Im going to waterford and my 20 week scan was going to be my last one, but now that i have the gestational diabetes they said i will be having more to keep an eye on the size of the baby....not sure when or how often or anything like that though

Fairie wrote: »
    Hi excited, haven't been on in a few days. Headache went but bp is still up hasn't gone any higher but I'm in every week now between gp and hospital to get checked.
    I must start on my hospital bag soon. The eye masks and ear plugs are great I was in 6 nights before I had dd and they were def needed the snores of some women :O . high waisted underwear (I got a size bigger) were good for after the section, plastic bags to send home any washing, if anyone intends on breastfeeding front button tops/pjs are handy and a few snacks and bottles of water. Anything else I think of I'll let ye know.
    I'm exhausted today, OH's brother is staying with us for a few nights, went out last night and came back at 1.30 with friends for a little house party, great idea in a house with an 8 month old and a pregnant woman!! It took OH almost an hour to get rid of them and me another two hours to get dd back to sleep and up again at 6.30 to go to work. He better be gone bags and all by the time I get home! Think I'll get a takeaway tonight to make myself feel better :)
    Hope everyone is keeping well

Thanks Fairie,
    Only seen your post now...dont know how i missed it. Plastic bags and the button top nightie's / pj's thanks for that. I do hopw to breastfeed but hadnt considered that, they are on my list for next week then the bag is nearly done i think!!

Hope your OH's brother is gone leaving you to get some rest! you poor thing id strangle him!

How many weeks are you now fairie? Hope the bp is levels out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Excited! wrote: »
    Hi Mil83,

Thanks so much, dont want to be an annoying pain pain pestering you with questions!! I only found out last thursday so started monitoring bloods from last friday. The midwife said there was no dietician/diabetic nurse to go through it with us but there were 2 information leaflets and she read through them with us.

Im really trying to do the right thing and get them right but it just doesnt seem to be working. They have told us to check them 7 times a day ..1 hr before each of our 3 meals, 1 hr after each meal and then before bed. they have told us that before each meal our bloods should be under 5 so the range is 3.5-5 before meals and before bed and should be under 7 1hr after each meal.
    But i can never seem to be under the target very often even though im trying to stick to the portions etc they told us to have.

They told use we can have 2 portions of carbs with each meal and they have given us a few examples of what a portion is e.g. 1 90g potato, 1 slice of bread, 0.5 a pitta bread, 0.5 of a cup of porridge or branflakes, 0.5 a bagel) So for example this morning at 7am my bloods were 5.5 so 1 hr later i had 1 cup of porridge which made up my 2 portions of carbs and 1 banana (we are allowed two portions of fruit a day, a banana is 1) then one hr later my bloods are 11.5 :eek:. At 12.20 i test again and they are 4.5, i have one pitta bread with lettuce, tomato and chicken for lunch and after my bloods are 7.4 instead of under 7, we are allowed 2 snacks a day. they recommended vitalinea 0% yougort and a couple of nuts so i had this at about 4 then tested at 5.30pm and they were 5.6, i had a dinner of 2 tiny baby potatoes, 1 cup of veg and a chicken brest with laughing cow light cheese triangle and they were 7.7 after. Often i dont even have the snacks because i know my bloods will be higher after them.

Im just finding it so hard to get it right no matter what i do and to be honest im hungry alot of the time, which they did say we shouldnt be really hungry coz that will put bloods up etc but if im having exactly what they tell me and i still cant get it right then i dont know what to do. Im getting quite stressed out about it, i have a normal hsp appt next tue, i might ring tomorrow and see can i see someone that day to help me figure this out or something although its probably unlikely that i will.

Sorry for huge letter!! bet your sorry you asked now!! Im finished ranting now honest!!:)

Hi Excited
    Sorry for butting in I had a baby in june and like yourself I found out at 28 weeks I had gestational diabetes, I just wanted to post and tell you not to beat yourself up about it, like you I was eating healthy and was hungry during the day and my levels would still be high! It's your hormones that are blocking your pancreas's ability to produce insulin and as your pregnancy progresses your hormones go higher.
    For me I was put onto insulin as my levels just weren't coming down particularly the morning bloods that for me was regularly over 5.

Looking back now it wasn't so bad and it had it's good points, I weigh less now than I did before I got pregnant and my little fella was born at 7 lbs 4 oz so was just perfect.

I just wanted to reassure you cause I felt like a failure when I was first diagnosed but there was nothing that I could of done about it, feel free to ask any questions id be more than happy to answer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Elle13 wrote: »
    Hi Afternoon tea,

I am due on the 16.12. In Holles St. so if you are early we may even meet there :-)
    I am gonna call the hospital about the growth scan as I checked the info file I got and no more scans are on the schedule :-/
    Hope your results of the discharge will be ok! Am having discharge all the way through the pregnancy but it was never coloured other than normal but am sure it can happen and it does not have to mean any complications!:-)

Oh brilliant, may see you there! :D God it all seems so surreal still, sometimes I don't think it has actually dawned on me a little baby is on its way!! Am going to start looking at prams this wkd, hoping it won't take too long to decide. Going to head to the Long mile road (eurobaby) and mama's and papa's in Blanch. Is there anywhere else people would recommend in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Got my pram (travel system) last night. Went for the babyjogger city select in the end. I bought it in mothercare and it cost €1399 and I got 10% discount because I bought it at their mother and baby night so it came in at €1259. That was for the main buggy, extra buggy seat, 2 carry cots, 2 sets of adaptors, 2 rain covers, 2 maxi cosi car seats.

They demonstrated some other prams/buggys they have and the new one they have the Xpedior looked great - very lightweight but sturdy. I think it is what I would get if I were getting a single pram - its €350 for the pram in carrycot mode, which then transforms into a buggy and can face front or rear. Its good that it is not extra bits, the same thing converts so once you don't need a carry cot anymore, you are not stuck with a piece of equipment you don't need. The price also includes a car seat and you don't need any adaptors or anything. Nice colour choices too.

So I would recommend Mothercare to have a look in, and if you see something you like, go back and pay for it on their mother and baby evening and you get a 10% discount.

Tony Kealys in Coolock is also a good place to try for prams. And smyths toystores do them as well.

I'm going to a baby fair this sunday in the city north hotel on the M1 - anyone else going?

Oh brilliant, may see you there! :D God it all seems so surreal still, sometimes I don't think it has actually dawned on me a little baby is on its way!! Am going to start looking at prams this wkd, hoping it won't take too long to decide. Going to head to the Long mile road (eurobaby) and mama's and papa's in Blanch. Is there anywhere else people would recommend in Dublin?

I know.. I don't think I can even imagine how it all will be when the little man arrives.. We will be proper (big) family coz there will be 4 of us... I feel like it was only yesterday I had my first baby and we were new little family now its gonna be a proper big family... Can't even imagine the responsibility ;-)
    There is a baby shop in Dundrum town centre (can't think of what's it called) its out the back beside the toy shop they have all the fancy buggies there :-) I have mine ordered but it's not tI arrive until mid October :-/ just can't wait ti see it :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Hi Mil83,

Hey excited!
    I'm in a similar situation. I was on the diet for two weeks and it wasn't enough for me to control sugar levels. Just got out from hospital after 2 days and I'm on insulin now. Even at that, they've to tinker much with doseage that some of my readings are coming up higher than they ever were!
    I'd say if you're concerned to ring and speak to a midwife just to put your mind at ease that you're doing everything as you should. I wouldn't avoid snacks especially if you're hungry though! Ultimately that's not going to help your blood sugars. It's not so bad when you get your head round it. Don't obsess over your levels too much-if they're off let your midwife suggest a course of action.

I was told that they won't let me go over my edd so looks like I'm Defo having a nov baby!! I just assumed I'd go over so I've been thinking dec all along. Foolish really just as likely to go early. So this time 9weeks I should have a baby in my arms. Unreal. Need to get organised.

lainycool wrote: »
    Hi Excited
    Sorry for butting in I had a baby in june and like yourself I found out at 28 weeks I had gestational diabetes, I just wanted to post and tell you not to beat yourself up about it, like you I was eating healthy and was hungry during the day and my levels would still be high! It's your hormones that are blocking your pancreas's ability to produce insulin and as your pregnancy progresses your hormones go higher.
    For me I was put onto insulin as my levels just weren't coming down particularly the morning bloods that for me was regularly over 5.

Looking back now it wasn't so bad and it had it's good points, I weigh less now than I did before I got pregnant and my little fella was born at 7 lbs 4 oz so was just perfect.

I just wanted to reassure you cause I felt like a failure when I was first diagnosed but there was nothing that I could of done about it, feel free to ask any questions id be more than happy to answer :-)

Hi Laineycool,

Firstly congratulations on your little man, I hope ye are both doing well and happy.

Thanks so much for your post, you are certainly not butting in. I sobbed when I read your reply because what you said about feeling like a failure etc is exactly what Ive been feeling for the last week since I found out and I couldn't talk to my family or friends about the terrible guilt I was feeling because obviously there are being rational (can barely remember was being rational feels like!) are telling me not to be silly. I do feel a lot better knowing you and your little baby have had the same experience and are both fine.

I have a hosp apt on Tuesday so they'll have a look at my records and talk to me more about it then and hopefully be able to give me some indication on what they think the plan is for me.

Cant thank you enough :)

kandr10 wrote: »
    Hey excited!
    I'm in a similar situation. I was on the diet for two weeks and it wasn't enough for me to control sugar levels. Just got out from hospital after 2 days and I'm on insulin now. Even at that, they've to tinker much with doseage that some of my readings are coming up higher than they ever were!
    I'd say if you're concerned to ring and speak to a midwife just to put your mind at ease that you're doing everything as you should. I wouldn't avoid snacks especially if you're hungry though! Ultimately that's not going to help your blood sugars. It's not so bad when you get your head round it. Don't obsess over your levels too much-if they're off let your midwife suggest a course of action.

I was told that they won't let me go over my edd so looks like I'm Defo having a nov baby!! I just assumed I'd go over so I've been thinking dec all along. Foolish really just as likely to go early. So this time 9weeks I should have a baby in my arms. Unreal. Need to get organised.

Hi Kadr10,

Thanks to you too for sharing, its such a relief to be able to share this with someone else :)

I called the midwife yesterday and again she was saying she doesn't know a lot about it but just to keep tracking and they will have a look at my apt on tue, they've put me on the list for apt with diabetic dr but haven't got an apt yet so hopefully will have one when I go in on tue. I told her that im hungry a lot of the time and skipping some snacks because cant keep my bloods anywhere near the target when I have them and also even though there are only a few examples of foods I can have on the list they gave me for meals im having those exactly, she didn't seem concerned about me being hungry or missing snack but instead told me to cut out the banana I have with my porridge because even though its on the list that im allowed to have there's a lot of glucose in it. So unfortunately my chat with her wasn't too reassuring. How do you find doing the insulin?

Im just going to continue doing my best and go online later to see is there any better help or suggestions of meal plans and then see how my apt goes on Tuesday.

Have they given you more scans/appts now to keep an eye on growth etc? I had never even thought about them not allowing us to go over our edd but I guess that makes sense, its exciting tough isn't it because you pretty much know for sure if it doesn't come early it will be here on November whatever date. Not long to go now then you mush be getting so excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Hi Laineycool,

Firstly congratulations on your little man, I hope ye are both doing well and happy.

Thanks so much for your post, you are certainly not butting in. I sobbed when I read your reply because what you said about feeling like a failure etc is exactly what Ive been feeling for the last week since I found out and I couldn't talk to my family or friends about the terrible guilt I was feeling because obviously there are being rational (can barely remember was being rational feels like!) are telling me not to be silly. I do feel a lot better knowing you and your little baby have had the same experience and are both fine.

I have a hosp apt on Tuesday so they'll have a look at my records and talk to me more about it then and hopefully be able to give me some indication on what they think the plan is for me.

Cant thank you enough :)

Hi Kadr10,

Thanks to you too for sharing, its such a relief to be able to share this with someone else :)

I called the midwife yesterday and again she was saying she doesn't know a lot about it but just to keep tracking and they will have a look at my apt on tue, they've put me on the list for apt with diabetic dr but haven't got an apt yet so hopefully will have one when I go in on tue. I told her that im hungry a lot of the time and skipping some snacks because cant keep my bloods anywhere near the target when I have them and also even though there are only a few examples of foods I can have on the list they gave me for meals im having those exactly, she didn't seem concerned about me being hungry or missing snack but instead told me to cut out the banana I have with my porridge because even though its on the list that im allowed to have there's a lot of glucose in it. So unfortunately my chat with her wasn't too reassuring. How do you find doing the insulin?

Im just going to continue doing my best and go online later to see is there any better help or suggestions of meal plans and then see how my apt goes on Tuesday.

Have they given you more scans/appts now to keep an eye on growth etc? I had never even thought about them not allowing us to go over our edd but I guess that makes sense, its exciting tough isn't it because you pretty much know for sure if it doesn't come early it will be here on November whatever date. Not long to go now then you mush be getting so excited :D

You're very welcome, Hopefully they sort you out in the hospital soon and just to note when I would eat porridge my blood sugar levels would be in the double figures.

I think it's important to have protein at each meal as this keeps your levels steady so even have your porridge and add in a handful of nuts or have a boiled egg with it!

It's true they don't tend to let you go overdue with gd!

Goodluck with everything :-)

Hi Kadr10,

I felt guilty too thinking god should I have exercised more etc but its caused by hormones and in my case at least diet wasn't enough to control it. Guilt definitely subsides so hopefully you'll feel better about the whole thing esp when you go to appoinent on tues.

Some of the things I was advised were basically to stick to 30g of carb for breakfast and include a protein. So that'd be say 2slices of whole meal toast and either an egg or some cheese on top or cereal with milk. We were told that all bran, porridge made on water or shreddies are best cos they don't raise sugars as much as others. Your milk also counts towards carb count apparently(was news to me!). I was advised not to eat fruit in morning but to eat it throughout the day and to avoid fruit juice completely.
    It was only the breakfast she was so specific about because blood sugars are naturally raised in the morning and you get a surge of hormone too so you've to be careful about not raising them too much with food. Other than that, she just said to have a snack between meals and try include a protein with it so say a yogurt, fruit and cheese, cheese and cracker. For other meals she said about a third a plate of carb, a third protein and the rest in veg. I've not been weighing anything other than breakfast. I feel as though I didn't have to make major changes as a result. I Cut out sweets and choc of course but I was also told I could have a plain biscuit from time to time which is nice :-) just thought I'd share so you could compare to what you were told. I think generally the advice I was given was less specific than you though.

As regards extra scans, they booked me in for one at 34 weeks and they'll be keeping a close watch after that. It's all good though- I guess we get a few extra cheeky looks at our babies before they make their appearances :-) what's your due date?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Thanks Fairie,
    Only seen your post now...dont know how i missed it. Plastic bags and the button top nightie's / pj's thanks for that. I do hopw to breastfeed but hadnt considered that, they are on my list for next week then the bag is nearly done i think!!

Hope your OH's brother is gone leaving you to get some rest! you poor thing id strangle him!

How many weeks are you now fairie? Hope the bp is levels out for you :)

Hi excited, I found the button tops very handy for breastfeeding, made it a bit more discreet and a little blanket to put over when we had visitors. Hospital bag is on my list of things to do next weekend anything else I think of I'll let you know. I had an extra bag packed last time which I needed in the end so good idea to have a few extra clothes and other essentials for mammy and baby somewhere daddy can find them easily!

OH's brother was very sorry for his antics he had house cleaned, dinner made, a mini hamper of chocolate, icecream and crisps (he knows the way to a pregnant hormonal woman's heart) And he's staying at his parents house now so all is forgiven!

I'm 29 weeks now, bp is still very high gp sent me over to hospital yesterday for a quick check. Bp has to be checked every week alternating between hospital and gp, I'll def be having a section no date yet I won't be let go past 39 weeks but it'll probably be before that. I've an appointment with my consultant in two weeks everything will be arranged then.

Hope all is good with you and everything is ok with the gd?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mil83

Hi Mil83,

Hi excited

It is hard to get your head around it and get your bloods right at the beginning but you will get there trust me. And don't for one second think you have done anything wrong to bring this on it wasn't from eating too much choc or anything like that it's just something that happens and it will go when baby comes :)

Just with the fruit stay away from bananas grapes and strawberries because the are naturally high in sugar and will put your sugars up. With the porridge are you making it with all milk? If you are try with half milk half water or just all water if you can stomach it. Even try weetabix for brekkie or maybe egg on toast coz you need to get some protein in with every meal it will help keep your bloods balanced. Have they put you on any medication? If they haven't they might do at your next app and that will help greatly in getting them down. If you are eating bread stay away from white bread or whole meal coz it will put your sugars up quicker than a bar of choc!! Stick with whole grain or granary it's slow releasing so won't put them up. If you are still not getting your sugars down try doing a 10-15 min walk after each meal if its possible that will take them down as well.

I hope some of this helps and if you have any more questions ask away. You will get there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kidcummins

Hi ladies hope all are well today and resting up for the weekend!! Got a letter from my doctor telling me about the whooping cough vaccine and flu jab im presuming this is all routine just curious if ye are all opting for this?

kidcummins wrote: »
    Hi ladies hope all are well today and resting up for the weekend!! Got a letter from my doctor telling me about the whooping cough vaccine and flu jab im presuming this is all routine just curious if ye are all opting for this?

Hi Cummins,

It's up to you if you get it or not. I personally won't be getting any jabs during pregnancy... You want to do your research on stuff like this before you make your decision:-)

It's all kicking off now :-)
    Fairie hope the bp is ok. Great that they're monitoring you closely and sure there's something to be said for the fact the birth will be a bit more predictable.

The nightdresses/pj tips with buttons- are they special maternity ones or can you just get them in dunnes or penneys?

I've seen people recommend cellular blankets before but the only ones I saw were in dunnes and felt really course. Does anyone know if they're necessary and where sells them? Are they more suitable as cot blankets say since they've got the little holes?

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »
    It's all kicking off now :-)
    Fairie hope the bp is ok. Great that they're monitoring you closely and sure there's something to be said for the fact the birth will be a bit more predictable.

The nightdresses/pj tips with buttons- are they special maternity ones or can you just get them in dunnes or penneys?

I've seen people recommend cellular blankets before but the only ones I saw were in dunnes and felt really course. Does anyone know if they're necessary and where sells them? Are they more suitable as cot blankets say since they've got the little holes?

Hi Kandr10,

The pj's and night dresses with buttons are in TKmaxx stores... Just seen them yesterday (they are priced €12.99-€22.99) and they are even nice so you may find some which makes you feel "pretty" with all the other funs of labour ;-) Am sure they will have some in Mother care or Mammas &Pappas for at least double price stating its the one purpose made for breastfeeding but final effect will be identical with the cheaper ones;-)

The cellular blankets are unfortunately not the prettiest things in the world but midwifes do recommend them for whatever reasons. I think it's because they are safe for babies coz they have holes and babies can't overheat ect. I used one only sometimes on my first baba coz he was too cold under it. You can get them in Penneys, Mother Care, Boots ect. They are all nearly the same quality. I seen them (not recently) in TKmaxx too and they were fancy and soft.. Just lovely but not cheap at all... Think around €30 but they were the only cellular blankets which were soft to touch and in lovely colours too (not just white, cream, blue or pink ):-)

Advertisement