Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I'm getting the flu vaccine as I get it every year anyway due to a low immune system. Prior to my getting the vaccinations I would get a flu every year without fail, but touch wood since getting the jabs I have avoided it. It is generally recommended for pregnant women to get it so I'm booked in for it this week. My husband will also be getting it as for either of us to come down with a dose of flu with two babies to take care of wouldn't be ideal. He rarely gets sick anyway but this year it's better safe than sorry. I am also toying with the idea of getting the whooping cough vaccine and I and going to discuss it with my consultant at my next visit. She is generally very very reluctant to allow use of anything so if she says it's okay I think I'll get it. Particularly if it increases my babies immunity, given that the quality of immunity they will get from me will probably be quite low due to my immune disorder

On another note, no word from the hospital about my diabetes results. I thought they would ring me either way as the nurse told me to have my phone on me all day as they would ring me, but now I'm thinking they possibly only ring if the test is positive for diabetes??? Might give a call tomorrow just to be sure (afraid to be too relieved until I'm sure) but just wondering if anyone else had the GTT done in the Rotunda and if so do they ring only for positive results or either way?

If it turns out I am diabetes free then the flip side is that my babies are just fine big girls, and not big as a result of extra sugar, which would be brilliant. The bigger they are the better it is if they decide to come early. Already 3lb5oz (1.5kg) each (identical in size) and only 28 weeks. That's almost a full 2 weeks ahead of gestation so I am very proud of my two little puddings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

As far as I remember hello lady, I got a call on the same day with a result. I think you're right in saying they won't contact you if your results are good. You might be off the hook! Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

June Bird wrote: »
    31 weeks today starting to get very excited!

I'm coming up on 31 weeks too and can not wait to be on the other side! Think the boy can't wait either, he's been moving around like a nutcase the last week, never knew they moved so much. I know it's a great sign but I also reckon he's gonna be a big ball of energy.

I actually feel great today, it's the first time in months I've felt somewhat normal, hopefully it will stick around for a few weeks so I can get some things done.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Hi all hope all the December mammy's are keeping well. Six weeks tomorrow my baby will be here I can't believe how quick the time is going!
    Dd is teething and last night is the first night in months she slept through. I went to bed with her at 7.30 and we didn't wake up til 6.30 best sleep I've had in a LONG time I hope it wasn't a once off!!

Hello lady that's great about your little girls such a good size already :) countdown is really on now ladies a lot of us down to single digits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

fima wrote: »
    Closifer - I have a GP app one week then midwives clinic in Kileely the next. Think I have to go for a trace at some point soon as well but haven't heard anything yet. Have to start counting babies movements from next week so thought this would be before that, is anyone knows?

Thanks for the info Fima!

Im on maternity leave as of today :) Technically im taking a weeks holidays and my leave starts early November. Taking a full month in advance of the birth - its going to be so great to be able to nap when I want rather than trying to force myself to sleep through the night - my hips are killing me from lying on my sides so getting 8 hours through the night just isnt on the cards at the moment!

On another note - I remember this thread starting up months back - it seemed like our time would never come around - now its so strange seeing June 2014 threads - really makes you realise that we are nearly there - cant believe im technically full term in less than 3 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Closifer wow congrats on the start of your maternity leave!! It must feel great! I really can't believe how fast this time has gone either - just crazy!

I did my first antenatal class last night and felt totally freaked out afterwards - I don't think I heard anything I didn't know already but it's almost like reality hit and started to get really nervous! Also visited the the labour room and the midwife was saying there have been times when its busy where mums to be have had to share labour rooms aghhhhhhhhhh!!! Was anyone else freaked out after antenatal classes???

Closifer wow congrats on the start of your maternity leave!! It must feel great! I really can't believe how fast this time has gone either - just crazy!

I did my first antenatal class last night and felt totally freaked out afterwards - I don't think I heard anything I didn't know already but it's almost like reality hit and started to get really nervous! Also visited the the labour room and the midwife was saying there have been times when its busy where mums to be have had to share labour rooms aghhhhhhhhhh!!! Was anyone else freaked out after antenatal classes???

Afternoon tea - It feels strange to be on leave - a relief as I dont like half-doing my job and I really didnt feel like I was able to give it 100% any longer. Strange though because it is literally just baby countdown now for the next few weeks :)

I was also a little freaked out at soem of the ante natal classes. To be honest - i have been worrying a lot about labour and the birth but I keep reminding myself of all the women i know who are definitely bigger wimps and more squeamish than me who have done it! I cant believe they said that about sharing a labour room though. That is a bridge too far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Excited!

I'm getting the flu vaccine as I get it every year anyway due to a low immune system. Prior to my getting the vaccinations I would get a flu every year without fail, but touch wood since getting the jabs I have avoided it. It is generally recommended for pregnant women to get it so I'm booked in for it this week. My husband will also be getting it as for either of us to come down with a dose of flu with two babies to take care of wouldn't be ideal. He rarely gets sick anyway but this year it's better safe than sorry. I am also toying with the idea of getting the whooping cough vaccine and I and going to discuss it with my consultant at my next visit. She is generally very very reluctant to allow use of anything so if she says it's okay I think I'll get it. Particularly if it increases my babies immunity, given that the quality of immunity they will get from me will probably be quite low due to my immune disorder

On another note, no word from the hospital about my diabetes results. I thought they would ring me either way as the nurse told me to have my phone on me all day as they would ring me, but now I'm thinking they possibly only ring if the test is positive for diabetes??? Might give a call tomorrow just to be sure (afraid to be too relieved until I'm sure) but just wondering if anyone else had the GTT done in the Rotunda and if so do they ring only for positive results or either way?

If it turns out I am diabetes free then the flip side is that my babies are just fine big girls, and not big as a result of extra sugar, which would be brilliant. The bigger they are the better it is if they decide to come early. Already 3lb5oz (1.5kg) each (identical in size) and only 28 weeks. That's almost a full 2 weeks ahead of gestation so I am very proud of my two little puddings!

Hi hello lady,
    You should just give them a call yourself to put your mind at ease no one rang me so after 4 days I rang and they told me I had it and brought me in the next day toexplain.

Be positive im sure you dont have it but just give them a call and then your mind will be at ease.

I had a full ante natal day and the midwifes were really recommending the flu vac and whooping cough vac even more so im getting the whooping cough vac tomorrow already got flu jab x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

I had the labour class yesterday and felt really sick and faint. I had to walk out just as the physio was starting the breathing exercises so I missed the start of them. It was because I am ill at the moment but all the others probably thought that I couldn't take listening to the physio talking about different degree tears! My OH had to bring me some juice and a biscuit before I felt right again, think my blood pressure is dropping and I'm getting really weak if I miss a meal or overdo things. Got a letter from hosp today telling me to increase my iron tablets to two a day so that may be it also.

I asked the midwife doing the class about the injection to speed up placenta delivery. She said the mother is injected into the leg as soon as the first shoulder is delivered. I don't know anything about this but I don't see the point? Surely it should happen naturally? I will speak to my own midwife about it at next app as the antenatal midwife did not say it was optional or discuss any other choices/options.

Also - sharing labour wards? Not a hope! :(

I have to start counting babies movements daily from next monday when I will be 35 weeks. Does anyone have experience of this as I am a bit confused what to do, if baby moves 10 times in a 10 minute period for example is that the movements counted and done for the day?

Closifer Congrats on your maternity leave starting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I asked the midwife doing the class about the injection to speed up placenta delivery. She said the mother is injected into the leg as soon as the first shoulder is delivered. I don't know anything about this but I don't see the point? Surely it should happen naturally? .

I got an injection in my thigh when the placenta was refusing to come out by itself. It didn't seem to work so then they came along and put acupuncture needles into both of my little toes. That did the trick.

• Advertisement

Closifer
    Also visited the the labour room and the midwife was saying there have been times when its busy where mums to be have had to share labour rooms aghhhhhhhhhh!!! Was anyone else freaked out after antenatal classes???

In mullingar there are 4 beds in the labour wards so depending on how far along you are when you go in you're brought in there first then in to birth suite you won't actually give birth in labour ward!! Don't worry about anyone else in the labour wards anyone in there will be too preoccupied and honestly when it comes to it you won't care where you are or who's there you will just want to meet your baby!

Excited! wrote: »
    Hi hello lady,
    You should just give them a call yourself to put your mind at ease no one rang me so after 4 days I rang and they told me I had it and brought me in the next day toexplain.

Be positive im sure you dont have it but just give them a call and then your mind will be at ease.

Hi! thanks for that! yeah I gave them a call on Wednesday just to be sure, and she said they only phone you if it is abnormal and she confirmed my results were all normal :D So it turns out I just have super big chubby babies! Its gas, because I have an app on my phone that tells you each week how big your baby is, but its only for single pregnancies. So according to that, if I were a single baby pregnancy my baby is the size of a butternut squash and about 1.1kg (2.5 pounds)! Bah, I take your butternut squash, raise you a pumpkin and bump the size of the sugarloaf! two at 1.5kg almost a week ago??? :eek: my eyes are watering just thinking about it!
    I have to start counting babies movements daily from next monday when I will be 35 weeks. Does anyone have experience of this as I am a bit confused what to do, if baby moves 10 times in a 10 minute period for example is that the movements counted and done for the day?

Why not download one of those apps? you can put in how many kicks and it calculates over what time period. No good for me because I can't always tell which one is kicking me where! so I've just been told that as long as there is movement in both sides of my bump its grand.

Fairie wrote: »
    In mullingar there are 4 beds in the labour wards so depending on how far along you are when you go in you're brought in there first then in to birth suite you won't actually give birth in labour ward!! Don't worry about anyone else in the labour wards anyone in there will be too preoccupied and honestly when it comes to it you won't care where you are or who's there you will just want to meet your baby!

Hi Fairie yeah good point - I think it just scared the hell out of me - we were actually in the labour room / birthing suite with shower and exercise ball things in them (has anyone been using these exercise balls by the way?) and the midwife said sometimes this room can be shared. Like you said anyway, at that stage all I'll care about is meeting baba!!

How is everyone doing? I've noticed over the past few days I seem to be getting more uncomfortable - feeling alot of pressure in groin, it kind of feels like being BUSTING for a wee but feeling is still there when I go and I really notice it when I am changing positions in my sleep from one side to another. In general I just feel more aches and fullness which I suppose is to be expected now coming towards the end! I rang to ask the midwife (hate ringing sometimes but would prefer and be told nothing to worry about than not at all!) and she said it's just pressure as baby getting bigger now. I think I am still carrying on as normal and not really slowing down and relaxing so really going to try and do more relaxing from now on!!

Going to make a start on painting the nursery this weekend - well OH will be doing it, I'll be sitting on my bum drinking tea :)

I'm really uncomfortable the last week or so afternoon tea, esp when sitting down. I've been using the exercise ball for the past few weeks and it does really help, my back gets a bit sore in the evenings and the ball helps to relieve it.

I've been upping my walking and swimming lately which seems to help with the uncomfortable feeling. Almost feel like he moves up a bit the more active I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

So it turns out I just have super big chubby babies! Its gas, because I have an app on my phone that tells you each week how big your baby is, but its only for single pregnancies. So according to that, if I were a single baby pregnancy my baby is the size of a butternut squash and about 1.1kg (2.5 pounds)! Bah, I take your butternut squash, raise you a pumpkin and bump the size of the sugarloaf! two at 1.5kg almost a week ago??? :eek: my eyes are watering just thinking about it!

That's great news Hello Lady :)
    I don't know if I can use an app for this, it's a chart on the back of my chart that I have to fill in every day for last 5 weeks. Is everyone else expected to do this or is it just a Limerick thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

June Bird wrote: »
    Was flicking through some old posts to see if ye covered already the flu jab but this thread is getting pretty big now so I could have missed it! I had my ante natal apt last week as usual but the midwife in the gp surgery was really pushing the flu vaccination. I prefer not to get it and when I told her this she wrote across my appointment record card in red pen that I refused to take it. Thought that was a bit harsh made me feel like a bold kid! Anyone else have the flu jab pushed on them and did you decide to take it or not??!! Must say though that normally i'm very happy with the care there.

When I was pregnant over a year ago I went for bloods from my GP's nurse & she said "we're doing the flu vaccines next week" & I said I didn't want it & she said "well you have to have it for your baby's safety"...

I said, okay & left & didn't go back!

The nurse says it to me this time around a while back that the flu jab is coming up & I just said okay & didn't book in for it...I didn't give her a chance to be pushy about it, but there was no way I was being made feel bad about my decision not to have it this time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi all,
    I have just had my 32 week doctors appointment. Nothing too intense, just the usual weight / blood pressure / urine check and a feel around the belly/ listen to the babies heartbeat. All seems fine, thank God. My baby is lying head down now, but the head is not yet 'engaged' in the pelvis.

My God - it hurts like hell when the doctor / midwife starts really pressing on your lower abdomen to feel around for the head, doesn't it? Every time they do it I am sore afterwards. I'll never get used to that!

I had been smothering with a cold since Friday - have not taken any medication, just a warm ginger/lemon/honey drink. Have been out of work so far this week with it, but plan on going back tomorrow as I think the cold is finally leaving me.

I hope you are all keeping well.

Hi Fairie yeah good point - I think it just scared the hell out of me - we were actually in the labour room / birthing suite with shower and exercise ball things in them (has anyone been using these exercise balls by the way?) and the midwife said sometimes this room can be shared. Like you said anyway, at that stage all I'll care about is meeting baba!!

How is everyone doing? I've noticed over the past few days I seem to be getting more uncomfortable - feeling alot of pressure in groin, it kind of feels like being BUSTING for a wee but feeling is still there when I go and I really notice it when I am changing positions in my sleep from one side to another. In general I just feel more aches and fullness which I suppose is to be expected now coming towards the end! I rang to ask the midwife (hate ringing sometimes but would prefer and be told nothing to worry about than not at all!) and she said it's just pressure as baby getting bigger now. I think I am still carrying on as normal and not really slowing down and relaxing so really going to try and do more relaxing from now on!!

Going to make a start on painting the nursery this weekend - well OH will be doing it, I'll be sitting on my bum drinking tea :)

Hi afternoon tea, it is scary when you are in the labour ward/birthing suite and only natural to be scared and nervous we have so much time to think about things before baby arrives but once that time arrives all that will be on your mind is I want baby out and healthy :)
    Lots of pressure here too I think baby has dropped a bit I'm really waddling about the place now! Dd took her first steps yesterday she'll only be 10 months on Thursday!!
    Afternoon tea hope the nursery painting went well and you enjoyed the day watching your oh do all the work ;)

Hi all,
    I have just had my 32 week doctors appointment. Nothing too intense, just the usual weight / blood pressure / urine check and a feel around the belly/ listen to the babies heartbeat. All seems fine, thank God. My baby is lying head down now, but the head is not yet 'engaged' in the pelvis.

My God - it hurts like hell when the doctor / midwife starts really pressing on your lower abdomen to feel around for the head, doesn't it? Every time they do it I am sore afterwards. I'll never get used to that!

I had been smothering with a cold since Friday - have not taken any medication, just a warm ginger/lemon/honey drink. Have been out of work so far this week with it, but plan on going back tomorrow as I think the cold is finally leaving me.

I hope you are all keeping well.

Not nice at all when they are pushing on lower abdomen although I do find that the male doctors are a little gentler!
    Hope your cold is gone now cunning stunt and you are feeling better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭unichick

Hello girls, I hope it's not too late to join this thread. I'm expecting my 1st baby on Dec 19th. I can hardly wait. Time has flown since the 12 week mark. I'm having baby in Limerick Maternity. Just paid a deposit on a cot today. It's all getting so real! It's going to be an exciting Christmas for us all girls.

• Advertisement

unichick wrote: »
    Hello girls, I hope it's not too late to join this thread. I'm expecting my 1st baby on Dec 19th. I can hardly wait. Time has flown since the 12 week mark. I'm having baby in Limerick Maternity. Just paid a deposit on a cot today. It's all getting so real! It's going to be an exciting Christmas for us all girls.

Welcome unichick :)

Only one more month in front of us now! Dying to see who goes first/early.

Getting more uncomfortable by the day now and I still have ages to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭unichick

In a facebook group I'm on one of the girls gave birth at 26 weeks! Luckily baby and mammy are doing well now. It was scary stuff though for her. Her little boy is thriving now.

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    Only one more month in front of us now! Dying to see who goes first/early.

Getting more uncomfortable by the day now and I still have ages to go.

Im 35 weeks at the moment - I would love to go just a week or so early but the midwife told me to expect term + 10 on my 1st baby and warned me that the last 2 weeks will be torture :(

Almost have the hospital bags all sorted now - just a few small bits left to buy. Its so hard to fit all the recommended stuff into two modest sized bags though!!

closifer wrote: »
    Im 35 weeks at the moment - I would love to go just a week or so early but the midwife told me to expect term + 10 on my 1st baby and warned me that the last 2 weeks will be torture :(

Almost have the hospital bags all sorted now - just a few small bits left to buy. Its so hard to fit all the recommended stuff into two modest sized bags though!!

Hopefully all December babies won't wait too long after due dates. I was early on first baby and will be with this one too so don't know what it's like to go over but with first I was signed off work for almost 10 weeks before baby arrived and it was the boredom that drove me mad I must say though my house was never as clean as it was during that time!

Almost have hospital bag ready too I'm bringing a carry on size bag for delivery and a medium size bag for ward the towels alone take up so much space! I don't plan on needing too much I'm having section but hope to only stay max two nights my little girl won't even be a year I won't want to be away from her for too long!

Fairie wrote: »
    Hi afternoon tea, it is scary when you are in the labour ward/birthing suite and only natural to be scared and nervous we have so much time to think about things before baby arrives but once that time arrives all that will be on your mind is I want baby out and healthy :)
    Lots of pressure here too I think baby has dropped a bit I'm really waddling about the place now! Dd took her first steps yesterday she'll only be 10 months on Thursday!!
    Afternoon tea hope the nursery painting went well and you enjoyed the day watching your oh do all the work ;)

Yeah I think by that stage, when we are actually IN labour I won't care if I was in a whole ward full of women giving birth!! Yeah I noticed my walk is defintely different - more of side to side than legs going forward! Ah that must be lovelt to see her take her first steps - such a special moment!

Had a week full of painiting this week, put the cot and wardrobe together last night and hung some baby cothes and bits in the wardrobe and put the curtains up, so so strange doing it for the arrival of a little one - looked at the cot and just can't imagine a little face staring back at me from it - such a mad thought!! It is lovely to have that done though, I need to wash all the baby clothes now. Hubbie wanted to put pram up in the nursery but I am just funny about it- dont want it just up waiting, am worried about getting things dusty or something - like the idea of it staying in the box for now!

Have really roughly packed a hospital bag, at the antenatal class the midwife was saying just literally bring a tiny bag for labour with maybe some facewipes, basics, sucky sweets if you need something and maybe a babygro and then you can put antoher small case/bag in the lockers or bring it in later with change of clothes for mum and baby and I presume sanitary pads and things like that then? So hard to think what you'll need in the moment!

I hope everyone is doing well anyway. Finish work 4 weeks today just can't believe it!!!!

Spent the night in hospital on Thursday due to suspected pre-eclampsia :(

When I arrived at the hospital my blood pressure was 173 /92 :eek:

They let me home when it went down to 138

Lesson learned for me to get my bag organised! Didn't have a thing ready and had to send himself to Dunnes to get me jammies and a few bits

Still feeling rough and blood pressure is all over the place (my Gp gave me a monitor). Feeling a bit freaked out by it as it's all such an unknown. Seeing my own consultant on Monday so I will have some answers then - wasn't overly impressed by the registrar I saw in the hospital. Only for the midwife I would've been none the wiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Poor you Hello Lady! These unexpected hospital trips really take it out of you (and your nerves) How has your BP been since?

Poor you Hello Lady! These unexpected hospital trips really take it out of you (and your nerves) How has your BP been since?

To be honest I wasn't really minding about my bp when I arrived at the hospital, I was more concerned with the spots before my eyes and feeling generally really strange. It was only when they got me admitted and to a ward in less than 90 mins that the penny dropped things must be quite serious. It was only then that the midwife told me my bp was 173 on admission and normal range is 110-120!

My bp seems to have a life of its own and gets worse in the evenings. About 8 last night this awful headache came on me and when I checked the my bp was 177. An hour later 162 and it slowly went down but never below 135. Today has been better, was spot on this afternoon with readings of 108/72 and 122/80 but creeping up again this evening. I know when it's headed north because my heartburn gets really severe and then a tightness starts in my head. Last check it was 136/85 so I am literally lying in bed doing absolutely nothing but browsing boards and reading. Bored stupid, but what can you do? If it means I can avoid hospital I'd rather do absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

I can only sympathise as (despite being overweight and a former smoker) my BP has been low throughout.
    At least today was total duvet day weather :)

Advertisement