Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Hello lady, hope you are feeling ok and the bp lowers and it's not pre eclampsia. I'm the same have all signs so being very closely monitored as I had it on last pregnancy. Try take it easy, and not worry or stress if possible it makes it shoot up! Exercise can help too, little walks (in between showers!) or swimming. Lots of rest and hope you are feeling better soon :)

Yeah I think by that stage, when we are actually IN labour I won't care if I was in a whole ward full of women giving birth!! Yeah I noticed my walk is defintely different - more of side to side than legs going forward! Ah that must be lovelt to see her take her first steps - such a special moment!

Had a week full of painiting this week, put the cot and wardrobe together last night and hung some baby cothes and bits in the wardrobe and put the curtains up, so so strange doing it for the arrival of a little one - looked at the cot and just can't imagine a little face staring back at me from it - such a mad thought!! It is lovely to have that done though, I need to wash all the baby clothes now. Hubbie wanted to put pram up in the nursery but I am just funny about it- dont want it just up waiting, am worried about getting things dusty or something - like the idea of it staying in the box for now!

Have really roughly packed a hospital bag, at the antenatal class the midwife was saying just literally bring a tiny bag for labour with maybe some facewipes, basics, sucky sweets if you need something and maybe a babygro and then you can put antoher small case/bag in the lockers or bring it in later with change of clothes for mum and baby and I presume sanitary pads and things like that then? So hard to think what you'll need in the moment!

I hope everyone is doing well anyway. Finish work 4 weeks today just can't believe it!!!!

It really was such a special moment seeing her first steps she is really taking off now I'm going to have my work cut out for me in December!!
    On first I was admitted to hospital a few days before I got induction so bags were a bit all over the place. You won't need much just the basics. Snacks and water are a must you could be a while before baby arrives! Nightdress, dressing gown, slippers, socks, hair ties, lip balm, phone camera, chargers, pajamas/nightdress to change in to after, also stuff for baby vest, babygro, hat, mittens, nappy, cardigan that's all I can think of now! Everything else will be in main bag. After section I didn't need to use own sanitary pads until next day midwives changed them until I was able to get up and about I'm guessing it would be same after normal delivery?

Oh flip-flops for shower especially in public wards. Although it was very clean I preferred wearing them in a shared shower

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Fairie wrote: »
    Hello lady, hope you are feeling ok and the bp lowers and it's not pre eclampsia. I'm the same have all signs so being very closely monitored as I had it on last pregnancy. Try take it easy, and not worry or stress if possible it makes it shoot up! Exercise can help too, little walks (in between showers!) or swimming. Lots of rest and hope you are feeling better soon :)

Thanks for that Fairie. I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst regarding the preeclampsia. My mum had it on me, I'm having twins, first pregnancy following IVF, and I was slightly overweight due to the IVF hormones prior to getting pregnant - so the odds are kind of stacked against me, but I'm trying to stay positive

Finding exercise difficult though - my babies were 4lb each at last check, so as big as a full term single baby so even walking the length of the street is a challenge. But my husband looks on the bright side and points out that my immobility has curbed my desire to shop! Lol

My travel system arrived in and ready to be collected, so something to look forward to next week.

I just hope I can manage a few more weeks at work, even if only part time because sitting around for the last 2 days has done my head in so I would really struggle and feel useless if I have to do that for another 4-6 weeks! I was only planning on working until the end of November anyway so please god I will be able to manage that and save my sanity.

Thanks for that Fairie. I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst regarding the preeclampsia. My mum had it on me, I'm having twins, first pregnancy following IVF, and I was slightly overweight due to the IVF hormones prior to getting pregnant - so the odds are kind of stacked against me, but I'm trying to stay positive

Finding exercise difficult though - my babies were 4lb each at last check, so as big as a full term single baby so even walking the length of the street is a challenge. But my husband looks on the bright side and points out that my immobility has curbed my desire to shop! Lol

My travel system arrived in and ready to be collected, so something to look forward to next week.

I just hope I can manage a few more weeks at work, even if only part time because sitting around for the last 2 days has done my head in so I would really struggle and feel useless if I have to do that for another 4-6 weeks! I was only planning on working until the end of November anyway so please god I will be able to manage that and save my sanity.

I'll keep fingers crossed everything works out for you and bp goes down. Extremely boring sitting around all day, it'd be great if you could work part time until end of the month then once we get to December it's all go getting everything ready. Wow your babies are doing great 4 pounds each already, poor mammy though it's not easy getting about the place. I found the swimming helped well walking up and down the pool!

Your husband or the credit card won't know what hit them when mammy hits the shops again!! Although you will probably be buying mostly for babies such cute little outfits for them!

Four weeks left in work for me and four and a half until baby is here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'm going to be induced on Friday at 37 weeks so definitely not having a December baby lol :-) apparently the fluid around baby is on the low side of normal and she's a good weight so they're happy to go ahead. I'll be spending a lot of time with my duvet between now and then :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Spent the night in hospital on Thursday due to suspected pre-eclampsia :(.

Hello lady - I hope you are feeling better and having a proper relax!
    Fairie wrote: »
    It really was such a special moment seeing her first steps she is really taking off now I'm going to have my work cut out for me in December!!
    On first I was admitted to hospital a few days before I got induction so bags were a bit all over the place. You won't need much just the basics. Snacks and water are a must you could be a while before baby arrives! Nightdress, dressing gown, slippers, socks, hair ties, lip balm, phone camera, chargers, pajamas/nightdress to change in to after, also stuff for baby vest, babygro, hat, mittens, nappy, cardigan that's all I can think of now! Everything else will be in main bag. After section I didn't need to use own sanitary pads until next day midwives changed them until I was able to get up and about I'm guessing it would be same after normal delivery?

Oh flip-flops for shower especially in public wards. Although it was very clean I preferred wearing them in a shared shower

Thanks for this Fairie - great to know, must take note of flip flops too!! I know it sounds silly but some things we are meant to pack (charger, outfit for leaving etc) I am not going to pack now NOW as I'll be using them but then in the rush when all kicks off I'm not going to remember to grab those things!

Also this may seem a radiculous question but what have you packed to actually wear during labour? I am thinking of buying a really baggy loose mans tshirt as hate those granny nightgowns but I want something to cover my a*se during labout - have this vision of being on all fours in labour in whatever top i'm wearing at the time and my a*se hanging out....I am sure at the time I won't care but at the moment the thought terrifies me :eek: Has anyone else given this any thought (mad the things you actually think about isn't it!!!)

35 weeks on friday, getting really really excited now. Feeling alot of pressure down there, midwife at checkup yesterday said head is down but body facing wrong way so we are back to back instead of baby's spine facing my stomach if that makes sense...did a bit of reading up and going to spend some time on all fours and watching tv on gym ball to encourage it to move over over the next few weeks! fingers crossed!! Piles seem to have gotten way worse over the past few days, feel like I'm walking like John Wayne...hence the fear of a*se being out in labout hahaha!!!! :D

Hope all Dec mammies doing well!

kandr10 wrote: »
    I'm going to be induced on Friday at 37 weeks so definitely not having a December baby lol :-) apparently the fluid around baby is on the low side of normal and she's a good weight so they're happy to go ahead. I'll be spending a lot of time with my duvet between now and then :-)

Oh gosh! did you get a scan to find out about the fluid around baby? Wow kinda cool to know when baby will arrive!!! looks like you wil be the first to go then? how do you feel? yes, lots of relaxation for you now!!!

So exciting kandr10. How big is she now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Holy crap! Best of luck.

Afternoon tea, re what to wear during labor. I'll be wearing one of those nighties from dunnes ( they have a new selection in and they're not that bad really, wouldn't wear them normally but can't think of anything else) so not much help if an alternative but the only I would think is to make it as lightweight as possible. Would a man's shirt cover your bum when moving around anyway?

Unfortunately I am back in hospital. At my clinic visit my bp was 155/95 so systolic and diastolic were high so admitted and have been put on medication and given steroid injection for babies' lungs. Hopefully will be home before the weekend. Feeling a lot better though. Only thing is have swapped high bp headache for dizzy feeling as my bp is a little low now. But it's on the low side of normal so easier to control than if it's high.
    Also this may seem a radiculous question but what have you packed to actually wear during labour? I am thinking of buying a really baggy loose mans tshirt as hate those granny nightgowns but I want something to cover my a*se during labout - have this vision of being on all fours in labour in whatever top i'm wearing at the time and my a*se hanging out....I am sure at the time I won't care but at the moment the thought terrifies me :eek: Has anyone else given this any thought (mad the things you actually think about isn't it!!!)

35 weeks on friday, getting really really excited now. Feeling alot of pressure down there, midwife at checkup yesterday said head is down but body facing wrong way so we are back to back instead of baby's spine facing my stomach if that makes sense...did a bit of reading up and going to spend some time on all fours and watching tv on gym ball to encourage it to move over over the next few weeks! fingers crossed!! Piles seem to have gotten way worse over the past few days, feel like I'm walking like John Wayne...hence the fear of a*se being out in labout hahaha!!!! :D

I have a kinda granny nightie, which is quite long in cotton with buttons on the front as although it's not particularly flattering it is more flattering than my whoo- ha on display in the corridor! I have visions of being hit with a contraction right at the most inopportune moment in the corridor! In the actual labour ward your clothes could be around your neck and you won't care!

But if you really hate the idea of a granny nightie, my husband bought me a long t-shirt nightie in penny's in a size 20. It's cream and cotton and comes to the knee. It's actually a bit big which is good for skin to skin as it's loose at the neck. Better than a man's t-shirt anyway!

• Advertisement

Remember, they'll be pulling your nightie up to have a good look at your bits and bobs anyway so no point stressing about it!

Oh wow can't believe we'll have our first December baby so soon it's so exciting :D enjoy your duvet time until then :) x

But if you really hate the idea of a granny nightie, my husband bought me a long t-shirt nightie in penny's in a size 20. It's cream and cotton and comes to the knee. It's actually a bit big which is good for skin to skin as it's loose at the neck. Better than a man's t-shirt anyway!

This sounds like what I have, I thought it was the granny nightie! It has a few buttons but I got a really big size so it's loose for skin to skin/ breastfeeding.

What is a granny nightie than?

Thanks everyone! Yeah had another growth scan today on account of the gestational diabetes and they picked it up on that. Strangely calm about it all. I was looking at induction in two weeks anyway, again cos of the diabetes. Baby is a good 6 1/2 lbs which is about on track (well I think the margin of error with the weight you get in scans is + or - 10% so somewhere between 6 and 7 lbs).

Hope you feel better soon hello lady and that you get out soon enough. Rest up as much as you can!

Afternoon tea, here's a link to the nighties from dunnes. They're not that granny ish and they've button down tops if you're planning on breast feeding. They've a string round the middle so you can make them slightly more attractive looking lol :-)

http://m.dunnesstores.com/five-button-nightshirt/nightwear/dunnesstores/fcp-product/1659236?colour=pink-spot

So glad I finally got round to packing the bag the other day! I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get to knit more cardigans and stuff though. Really hard to get newborn cardis in town for some reason! Think the ones I've done will be more on the 0-3 month side so probs a little big initially. Ah well!

Thanks for this Fairie - great to know, must take note of flip flops too!! I know it sounds silly but some things we are meant to pack (charger, outfit for leaving etc) I am not going to pack now NOW as I'll be using them but then in the rush when all kicks off I'm not going to remember to grab those things!

Once you have labour bag with you bits like charger, coming home outfit etc can be brought in to hospital after. Maybe have camera charged and in bag so that's ready for when baby arrives.
    I'll be wearing a beautiful hospital gown this time again, but last time I had a nightdress (navy just above knee length) I got in penneys it didn't look too bad. If your wearing a tshirt maybe have a long dressing gown. I got caught a few times with contractions in corridors / canteen so with long dressing gown didn't have to worry about my backside on show to everyone (last thing on my mind then!!)
    John Wayne walk going on here aswel I hate sitting down it's takes some amount of effort to get back up. If I ever have another baby it's going to be a summer one so I won't have to bother with socks!

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    This sounds like what I have, I thought it was the granny nightie! It has a few buttons but I got a really big size so it's loose for skin to skin/ breastfeeding.

What is a granny nightie than?

I have a few granny ones, and am ashamed to admit I actually like wearing them they are so comfy! :ashamed: the 'granny' ones are either proper cotton (not cotton jersey) and even have cuffs and little ribbons on them!

This kind of thing with short or strap sleeves:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=granny+nightdress&rlz=1Y1XIUG_enIE543IE543&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ#biv=i%7C288%3Bd%7C__N7yAbjxTRG7M%3A

Morto for me or what?? Edit to add, most of mine aren't quite as bad as some of these! Lol

Ha right I get it now. I kinda lumped them all into the same category. I don't wear anything in bed so have never had to look at any of these things before. Yeah the ones I got look kinda like what Kandra posted. Will do the job for something that will be in the bin as soon as I get home.

Yeah exactly - no matter how comfy they are I refuse to continue wearing them after maternity or there will never be even a hope of passion in the bedroom again! Lol

But the light cotton ones are just so nice and fresh to wear, not too warm and wash out very easy and dry in no time. Have proper jammies in them as well, tops and bottoms. They have been great in here the last few days, otherwise I'd be roasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I really need to buy some of those nighties too.
    34 weeks today :) Am going on maternity leave after this week and can't wait!
    I had a fall in the park the evening before last, when I was walking the dogs. Tripped over a big branch hidden in the grass. As far as falls go, it was probably the 'safest' way to fall when pregnant. I went down on my knees first and then gravity pulled me forward with my arms, so I ended up on all fours. It was as if it happened in slow motion. Didn't hit my bump or anything, but I was very nervous afterwards all the same.
    My hubby helped put my mind at rest when I got home. Baby was moving as normal and I had no pain anywhere or any bleeding (I guess they're well padded in there) so I just put my feet up and took it easy for the evening.

Now I stay on the path when walking the dogs and don't venture out into the grass!

Have my last scan next Thursday and then full steam ahead to c-section on Dec 11th :)

I really need to buy some of those nighties too.
    34 weeks today :) Am going on maternity leave after this week and can't wait!
    I had a fall in the park the evening before last, when I was walking the dogs. Tripped over a big branch hidden in the grass. As far as falls go, it was probably the 'safest' way to fall when pregnant. I went down on my knees first and then gravity pulled me forward with my arms, so I ended up on all fours. It was as if it happened in slow motion. Didn't hit my bump or anything, but I was very nervous afterwards all the same.
    My hubby helped put my mind at rest when I got home. Baby was moving as normal and I had no pain anywhere or any bleeding (I guess they're well padded in there) so I just put my feet up and took it easy for the evening.

Now I stay on the path when walking the dogs and don't venture out into the grass!

Have my last scan next Thursday and then full steam ahead to c-section on Dec 11th :)

Gosh that must have given you a fright though! Good to take it easy and rest up. Enjoy your maternity leave :-)

• Advertisement

Well I'm home from hospital and on meds for the blood pressure and doing all I can to avoid developing established pre eclampsia. Feel totally wrecked after 2 days of no sleep in hospital, glad to be home. But struggling for breath and totally worn out, it has taken a lot out of me, I feel like I just suddenly hit a very large brick wall and not enjoying having to feel so weak and having to finish work so suddenly

I am holding out hope I will still be a December mammy and can get to 35/36 weeks, but it is looking less and less likely. Keep your fingers crossed for me that we can make it to December. I really want my girls to have as long in utero as possible - much rather I incubate them than a machine!

Well I'm home from hospital and on meds for the blood pressure and doing all I can to avoid developing established pre eclampsia. Feel totally wrecked after 2 days of no sleep in hospital, glad to be home. But struggling for breath and totally worn out, it has taken a lot out of me, I feel like I just suddenly hit a very large brick wall and not enjoying having to feel so weak and having to finish work so suddenly

I am holding out hope I will still be a December mammy and can get to 35/36 weeks, but it is looking less and less likely. Keep your fingers crossed for me that we can make it to December. I really want my girls to have as long in utero as possible - much rather I incubate them than a machine!

Good to hear you're home! Don't give yourself a hard time for needing to rest up. Take advantage while you can. I'm sure you'll feel a bit better after catching up on what you missed. Fingers crossed for you that you get to December :-)

Thanks everyone! Yeah had another growth scan today on account of the gestational diabetes and they picked it up on that. Strangely calm about it all. I was looking at induction in two weeks anyway, again cos of the diabetes. Baby is a good 6 1/2 lbs which is about on track (well I think the margin of error with the weight you get in scans is + or - 10% so somewhere between 6 and 7 lbs).

Hope you feel better soon hello lady and that you get out soon enough. Rest up as much as you can!

Afternoon tea, here's a link to the nighties from dunnes. They're not that granny ish and they've button down tops if you're planning on breast feeding. They've a string round the middle so you can make them slightly more attractive looking lol :-)

http://m.dunnesstores.com/five-button-nightshirt/nightwear/dunnesstores/fcp-product/1659236?colour=pink-spot

So glad I finally got round to packing the bag the other day! I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get to knit more cardigans and stuff though. Really hard to get newborn cardis in town for some reason! Think the ones I've done will be more on the 0-3 month side so probs a little big initially. Ah well!

Oh perfect! Definitely less grannyish that I was imagining! I'll have to take myself off to Dunnes. I don't know why I'm finding packing the hospital bag so difficult-I keep looking at the list don't have half the stuff then thinking I'll pick bits up when I'm out then I can't remember what I need! It shouldn't be this difficult should it ha!! :)

Off work with painful piles at the moment, thinking resting up may ease them a little but am trying to prepare myself they may just stay like this now until the end!

Also have heartburn and an itchy rash up both legs, I was tested for liver function but all was ok thankfully-apparently random rashes are common in pregnancy so I'm trying to later up in the evening rather than put the heating on as it gets way worse and I scratch like crazy when the heating is on!!

Kandr10- I hope you are relaxing and enjoying time to yourself!

I have a few granny ones, and am ashamed to admit I actually like wearing them they are so comfy! :ashamed: the 'granny' ones are either proper cotton (not cotton jersey) and even have cuffs and little ribbons on them!

This kind of thing with short or strap sleeves:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=granny+nightdress&rlz=1Y1XIUG_enIE543IE543&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ#biv=i%7C288%3Bd%7C__N7yAbjxTRG7M%3A

Morto for me or what?? Edit to add, most of mine aren't quite as bad as some of these! Lol

Hahaha I have to say that post made me laugh so much! The glamour!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Hey Kandr10,
    I'm a bit late with this but Good Luck! Hope you are well on the way now!

Hope all December mammies are doing well :)
    I'm was in maternity hosp today for a few hours having a trace done on baby. My GP rang me and said I have an underactive thyroid (which I kind of knew myself anyway) and I was to go straight into maternity for a CTG trace to check the baby. I rang admissions to tell them I was coming in and they said not to as they couldn't check baby's thyroid with a trace. They told me to get my GP to ring them. So I rang GP and told her secretary that, her secretary rings me back and says GP has called admissions and I'm to go in, so in I go and they say they had no call!

They did they trace anyway and baby obliged by hopping around, they also checked me for diabetes as I have an insatiable thirst and I have been telling them that for a while now but all my tests come back with no proteins. They did a finger tip blood test and I'm all clear so the thirst maybe has something to do with thyroid...

Had a midwives app on Monday and she said baby would be between 6.5 to 7lbs, them midwife in hosp today said baby would be bigger ... I do look as if I have a giant egg attached to my front, bump is very high and very egg shaped it's actually a bit ridiculous looking, makes me laugh when I'm lying down and look at it :)

I was a bit jealous of all the 'labour' mammies coming into hosp tonight until I heard one lady getting a sweep and crying, then I was glad to be getting the hell out of there.... I'm 37 weeks on Monday so technically full term. All the drunk ladies at my baby shower last week were informing me I would go early ... I don't know how they know this but apparently it's Fact

Laughing away at the sexy nighties discussions going on, I got 2 in Dunnes on sale as they will most likely be going straight in bin afterwards, one has a button down front and one has spaghetti straps so easy access for feeding.

Hello Lady, fingers crossed you can keep your two ladies wrapped up inside you as long as possible :)
    Cunning Stunt, hope you have recovered after your fall!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kidcummins

Hi ladies hope your all well??!!! Anyone having trouble sleeping due to hip pain? Im waking nearly every hour to switch sides but waking fully because the pain is so severe then come 4 am or there about im just awake and have to get up as lying in bed is so painful. Was at my doc for check up Wednesday she recommended 3 pillows 1 under my hip, 1 under bump and 1 between the legs....it was worst night all week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

kidcummins wrote: »
    Hi ladies hope your all well??!!! Anyone having trouble sleeping due to hip pain? Im waking nearly every hour to switch sides but waking fully because the pain is so severe then come 4 am or there about im just awake and have to get up as lying in bed is so painful. Was at my doc for check up Wednesday she recommended 3 pillows 1 under my hip, 1 under bump and 1 between the legs....it was worst night all week!!

Hi kidcummins. Im nearly 37 weeks and I have had this problem for the last 3 or 4 weeks and its getting worse :(

It hurts so much when I first get out of bed in the morning too - i am literally hobbling to the bathroom. I really cannot wait to sleep on my back and on my tummy again in just a few weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kidcummins

closifer wrote: »
    Hi kidcummins. Im nearly 37 weeks and I have had this problem for the last 3 or 4 weeks and its getting worse :(

It hurts so much when I first get out of bed in the morning too - i am litereally hobbling to the bathroom. I really cannot wait to sleep on my back and on my tummy again in just a few weeks!![quoted]
    Oh great so the best is yet to come....
    Its all preparation for the future sleepless nights I suppose!! I really cant wait to get back sleeping on my belly or my back or just to have the option to sleep anyway would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 guesswhat

Good Evening All
    Anyone going to St. Luke's Hospital in Kilkenny?
    I haven't been here for a while, hope everyone is doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

kidcummins wrote: »

I feel your pain, it's a nightmare! The only thing that nearly helps is sitting on gym ball and pelvic rocking before bed. It doesn't really stop the pain just helps loosen up the hips before they have to take all the weight for the night! My arms and my ears really hurt most mornings from lying on my sides all night. The pillows are only good for contemplating suffocating OH as he lies there so comfortable and peaceful ;)

Advertisement