Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

kandr10 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone :-D she's called Madeleine!
    glad to hear its not just me having problems feeding. How long did you ladies breast feed for? You'll fly it with your new babies!

I done it for nearly 8 months but it was never straight forward for me... Still.. It was doable but tough in the same time... Still think them moments when I was feeding him were one of the best times ever!:-)
    It will all work out for you and your little Madeleine in a few weeks time.. And if it doesn'tfor some reason... You always have options!;-)
    Best of luck... Such an exciting time so enjoy every second of it all.. They grow too quick!:-) x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi all,
    have just been for a 35week scan at the hospital I am supposed to have my c-section in.

They said the baby is measuring big (6lb 13oz) and that I need to be checked for gestational diabetes on Monday. This has shaken me a bit, and I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this? Is it very serious? I am reading conflicting things online and it's starting to scare me.

Personally, I don't necessarily think 6lb13oz is that bad for this stage, given that I have only 4 weeks left until the c-section...she said it may end up at around 9 and a half pounds, which I know is big but I don't think is cause for concern..lots of babies are born that weight so I hope it's kjust a natural thing and not down to any medical condition.

I have not put on any weight on my body apart from the bump and a bit maybe on my bum, and I would have thought women with gestational diabetes put on a lot of weight during the course of the pregnancy. My mind is just in a whirl now and I don't know what to think :(

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Hi all,
    have just been for a 35week scan at the hospital I am supposed to have my c-section in.

They said the baby is measuring big (6lb 13oz) and that I need to be checked for gestational diabetes on Monday. This has shaken me a bit, and I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this? Is it very serious? I am reading conflicting things online and it's starting to scare me.

Personally, I don't necessarily think 6lb13oz is that bad for this stage, given that I have only 4 weeks left until the c-section...she said it may end up at around 9 and a half pounds, which I know is big but I don't think is cause for concern..lots of babies are born that weight so I hope it's kjust a natural thing and not down to any medical condition.

I have not put on any weight on my body apart from the bump and a bit maybe on my bum, and I would have thought women with gestational diabetes put on a lot of weight during the course of the pregnancy. My mind is just in a whirl now and I don't know what to think :(

Try not to worry too much. It seems to be a precaution to test for GD if the baby measures big, particularly if the growth was initially within normal range and then increases. I also got tested as my twins are 32 weeks and 4lb each which is big for a multiple pregnancy. Thankfully it all came back clear and they're just chubby bubbies!

Worst case scenario you do have GD but it is easily controlled and they will monitor your closely. And on the plus side in 2 weeks you are technically full term so you will only have to deal with the diabetes for 2 to 5 weeks which isn't really that bad when you think about it.

As for how/where you put weight, I know someone with gestational diabetes who hardly put an ounce on her but was all bump and baby and another who ballooned all over. It's all very personal how people present with it.

But as I say, try not to worry too much. There is nothing you can do if you do have it other than watch your diet and use medication if they think you need it. Lots of women get it and the hospitals are very good at taking care of you so just take it as it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Hi all,

Hi Cunning Stunt! I've just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes - 35 weeks now and started on insulin yesterday as it could not be controlled by diet alone!

I am being positive about it and just thinking of it as something that has to be looked after for the sake of baba and that luckily enough it was late onset. I have to check my blood sugar levels everyday and inject insulin also. I've been told that most mammies-to-be can control it through diet alone so I am in the minority( that's life :rolleyes:!). I haven't put on much weight during pregnancy (except bump) and was skinny at beginning of pregnancy too.

Don't worry too much if you are diagnosed - its all manageable. Had a bit of a down day yesterday when I found out but told myself that I have done all I can to keep myself and baba healthy during this pregnancy so not going to beat myself up over it :) Best of luck and I'm sure everything will be fine :)

Thank you both for your responses - I am a bit more at ease now. I was more panicked earlier when the news was fresh in my head but reading what you wrote I think it's probably not so bad after all. If I have it, I will just take the necessary precautions and hope for the best.

• Advertisement

Thank you both for your responses - I am a bit more at ease now. I was more panicked earlier when the news was fresh in my head but reading what you wrote I think it's probably not so bad after all. If I have it, I will just take the necessary precautions and hope for the best.

Yes, don't worry too much :) If you are diagnosed you will probably just have to monitor your blood sugar levels - worst case scenario is the insulin and honestly its not hard at all :) Just be positive and the 5 weeks (if even that!!!) will fly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Hey all! I'm home today after 5 days in hospital. I had my beautiful baby girl on Saturday after being induced. She was 6lbs 5 oz at 37 weeks. Perfectly formed but so dinky :-)
    Labour was smooth enough especially after epidural! They thought they might have needed to use suction cup put I escaped with just the episiotomy. Have to say healing from that isn't that bad at all. Again I think I got off lightly.
    Baby was jaundiced so had to be put under lamps for a day but she's grand now and all looking good. Breastfeeding is proving challenging but getting a little better everyday.

Good luck to the rest of you. Can't wait to hear about all the other arrivals. Seems strange to be posting this in the December thread!

Aaaahhh that's amazing, congratulations! Beautiful name also :)
    I must admit I'm slightly jealous! Hope you and Madeleine are settling in ok and you're enjoying your little baby x

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Hey all! I'm home today after 5 days in hospital. I had my beautiful baby girl on Saturday after being induced. She was 6lbs 5 oz at 37 weeks. Perfectly formed but so dinky :-)
    Labour was smooth enough especially after epidural! They thought they might have needed to use suction cup put I escaped with just the episiotomy. Have to say healing from that isn't that bad at all. Again I think I got off lightly.
    Baby was jaundiced so had to be put under lamps for a day but she's grand now and all looking good. Breastfeeding is proving challenging but getting a little better everyday.

Good luck to the rest of you. Can't wait to hear about all the other arrivals. Seems strange to be posting this in the December thread!

Congrats Kandr10! Such amazing news! First baby on the Dec board! Such a gorgeous name too, I hope you are both doing well!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Congrats Kandr10 and welcome baby Madeleine :)
    Hope everyone is doing well.

Started packing my hospital bags today. I had all the stuff got and washed - towels, baby clothes etc; - but now its a matter of putting them into case/bags and felt really overwhelmed.
    It feels like my first act as a mammy - putting the nappy, vest and babygro on bubs - is so close and I don't know if I'll do it right or if the babygro will fit or whatever. I didn't expect to feel like this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Thanks all! Can't wait to hear all of your news in the next few weeks.
    As regards the hospital bags, I brought one for me and one for Madeleine, both carry on size cases. I ended up not using half the stuff so clearly overpacked - and I was in hospital 5 days!! My advice would be to not overthink it and if you need something else your partner or that could bring it in. Don't worry about the size of clothes. If they're too big, you can roll up the sleeves, or in my case, fold the sleeves in half :-D when you're out of hospital you could then pick up whatever other sizes you need.

• Advertisement

Don't worry about the size of clothes. If they're too big, you can roll up the sleeves, or in my case, fold the sleeves in half :-D when you're out of hospital you could then pick up whatever other sizes you need.

Great tip, thanks! I have been packing assorted sizes, worrying that I wouldn't have ones to fit properly!

I got the gestational diabetes test this morning and the woman tells me ''if you don't hear back within 14 days then you're ok'' - I thought they were having a laugh!
    I told her I'm nearly 36 weeks now - I don't want to wait 2 weeks - so then I was told that the blood work is actually done within 24 hrs and if I ring them tomorrow I will have the results :rolleyes:

Great tip, thanks! I have been packing assorted sizes, worrying that I wouldn't have ones to fit properly!

I got the gestational diabetes test this morning and the woman tells me ''if you don't hear back within 14 days then you're ok'' - I thought they were having a laugh!
    I told her I'm nearly 36 weeks now - I don't want to wait 2 weeks - so then I was told that the blood work is actually done within 24 hrs and if I ring them tomorrow I will have the results :rolleyes:

That's mad isn't it?! They clearly don't want to have to answer the phone! Imagine saying that to someone at 36weeks. Fingers crossed you get good results back but sure at least you don't have far to go if you do have it.

That's mad isn't it?! They clearly don't want to have to answer the phone! Imagine saying that to someone at 36weeks. Fingers crossed you get good results back but sure at least you don't have far to go if you do have it.

Yeah, crazy. Even when I rang for the results this morning, I got the same runaround ''oh, we'll contact you with those within 14 days'' - er no, I am having a c-section in 3 wks so I need the results now.

So turns out I got 9.0 on the glucose blood test which they tell me is right on the limit - she said if it had been 8.9 they wouldn't have done anything about it but now it's off to the hospital with me on Thurs, where I have to meet with a doctor, a nurse and a nutritionist. :(
    Does anyone know the risks for my baby when I have high blood sugar? I couldn't get any info out of yer one on the phone, but she was only the receptionist in fairness.

Yeah, crazy. Even when I rang for the results this morning, I got the same runaround ''oh, we'll contact you with those within 14 days'' - er no, I am having a c-section in 3 wks so I need the results now.

So turns out I got 9.0 on the glucose blood test which they tell me is right on the limit - she said if it had been 8.9 they wouldn't have done anything about it but now it's off to the hospital with me on Thurs, where I have to meet with a doctor, a nurse and a nutritionist. :(
    Does anyone know the risks for my baby when I have high blood sugar? I couldn't get any info out of yer one on the phone, but she was only the receptionist in fairness.

Hi Cunning Stunt! Don't worry, your baby will be fine and they are just being cautious :) Sometimes if its diagnosed and not controlled the baby can be on the larger size. I had my appointment with obstetrician yesterday and he told me that my baby is on target size/weight wise (I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with the diabetes) and he has no intention of bringing me in early to induce me (despite lots of do gooders telling me the opposite :rolleyes:). You and baby will be grand :)

Agreed. It's just a precaution. You'll prob just end up controlling it with diet til the end of your pregnancy. For me anyway, it was about 3 weeks on the diet before they resorted to giving insulin. They seem keen to monitor closely before going down that road and sure by that time you'll be ready to go anyway! 9.0 is not that bad really. I was often up there even with the insulin and my baby always measured exactly on target weight wise. Once your controlling it and mindful of diet you and baby will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

I don't know much about gestational diabetes Cunning but it's so bad it's almost funny expecting you to wait two weeks for results, that would've given you a week to get it under control before the birth...the mind boggles really. I have heard of a couple of women giving birth and only then finding out that they had it, if that helps at all. My very limited understanding is that if it is uncontrolled it can cause difficult birth due to size of the baby.

My bump is massive I feel, I'd a flat stomach pre pregnancy so at all the stages of the bump I'd felt it was massive (to which my sister would laugh and say just wait till the end) but now I really can't believe just how big it is, every morning I knock it off the fridge door!

How are all the mammies? Kandr10 how's Madeleine?
    38 weeks today, so excited but also terrified! Had app yesterday and head is well down and ready to go. Was really sick all weekend, vomiting and pain in back, thought I was starting but nothing doing. Apparently you can vomit with the change in hormones a week or two before you 'go'

Now I'm nearly willing bubs to stay in there, the thoughts of labour are stressing me out big time! I thought I was mentally prepared for it, I've just realised you never can be!

Cunning I don't know anything about GD but it can only be a good thing it's been picked up on!

I had more bloods done yesterday and my thyroid was normal, I dunno what's going on but I never started on meds despite being given out to by OH and my Ma and I'm glad I didn't now. I just had a feeling I should wait. Will get checked again next week anyway.

Hope all mammies are keeping as well as can be! On the home stretch now ladies! x

38 weeks today, so excited but also terrified! Had app yesterday and head is well down and ready to go. Was really sick all weekend, vomiting and pain in back, thought I was starting but nothing doing. Apparently you can vomit with the change in hormones a week or two before you 'go'

Now I'm nearly willing bubs to stay in there, the thoughts of labour are stressing me out big time! I thought I was mentally prepared for it, I've just realised you never can be!

Cunning I don't know anything about GD but it can only be a good thing it's been picked up on!

I had more bloods done yesterday and my thyroid was normal, I dunno what's going on but I never started on meds despite being given out to by OH and my Ma and I'm glad I didn't now. I just had a feeling I should wait. Will get checked again next week anyway.

Hope all mammies are keeping as well as can be! On the home stretch now ladies! x

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Sweet_pea wrote: »

My bump is massive I feel, I'd a flat stomach pre pregnancy so at all the stages of the bump I'd felt it was massive (to which my sister would laugh and say just wait till the end) but now I really can't believe just how big it is, every morning I knock it off the fridge door!

Ha! I bet your bump is teeny tiny compared to mine! Twins and they're almost 5lb each! You can imagine the size of me! And I keep bumping it and having it get in the way. I also keep making a mess of myself at dinner time because my bump stops me sitting in close to the table and by the time I cover the distance from my plate to my mouth half my dinner is down my front! Also tried to unload the shopping onto to conveyor belt it Tesco and my arms weren't long enough to reach past my bump and to the bottom of the trolley! It'll have to be one of those convenience half trolleys from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

fima wrote: »

My due date was revised to December 3rd so Im also 38 weeks!! Fima - Like you - have had some new symptoms over the last week. Feeling quite nauseous, some diarrhea, lots of crampy pain in my pelvis. I had a pretty easy pregnancy the whole way through so I cant complain too much but the last week has been tough enough.

I cant believe how close to the end this is! If baby comes on time - I only have 2 baby free weekends left - I really cant get my head around it!!

• Advertisement

closifer wrote: »
    My due date was revised to December 3rd so Im also 38 weeks!! Fima - Like you - have had some new symptoms over the last week. Feeling quite nauseous, some diarrhea, lots of crampy pain in my pelvis. I had a pretty easy pregnancy the whole way through so I cant complain too much but the last week has been tough enough.

I cant believe how close to the end this is! If baby comes on time - I only have 2 baby free weekends left - I really cant get my head around it!!

That's crazy! I didn't think they could revise due dates so late in a pregnancy - is it an earlier due date than your previous estimated one? If so, happy days!!
    I would love for them to tell me my baba was due earlier than it is - am getting so impatient, even just with 3 weeks left!

I am 36 weeks today and I really think the baby has dropped - it was a very painful walk to the churchyard and back today - and that's only 2 streets over from me. Have told the hubby that he's on dog-walking duties this evening - I can't manage another stroll with this discomfort. My bump looks lower too, so I really think that baby has dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

That's crazy! I didn't think they could revise due dates so late in a pregnancy - is it an earlier due date than your previous estimated one? If so, happy days!!
    I would love for them to tell me my baba was due earlier than it is - am getting so impatient, even just with 3 weeks left!

I am 36 weeks today and I really think the baby has dropped - it was a very painful walk to the churchyard and back today - and that's only 2 streets over from me. Have told the hubby that he's on dog-walking duties this evening - I can't manage another stroll with this discomfort. My bump looks lower too, so I really think that baby has dropped.

Its just 2 days earlier but every day counts mentally (even though I may well end up going way over anyway!). I think they had me down as the 3rd since the scan but they just never bothered telling me until I went in yesterday! Anyway happy days - I think they dont let you go more than 10 days over so the 13th is the latest possible date that I will have my baba which gives me a nice run up to Xmas :)

How are you feeling Cunning? Have you also hit that 37 week wall?

I am doing OK thanks, but I am getting more and more impatient and just really wishing the time would fly.
    I am so big now that it's uncomfortable to walk, it's uncomfortable when I have eaten - turning over in the bed is a big operation, etc. etc.

I am trying to stay off all things sugar-related since I failed the glucose tolerance test and I think I'm on withdrawl or something because I got really narky with my OH last night for no reason and the poor guy just took it without argument. I guess he's wishing the time would fly now too! :D

I am doing OK thanks, but I am getting more and more impatient and just really wishing the time would fly.
    I am so big now that it's uncomfortable to walk, it's uncomfortable when I have eaten - turning over in the bed is a big operation, etc. etc.

I am trying to stay off all things sugar-related since I failed the glucose tolerance test and I think I'm on withdrawl or something because I got really narky with my OH last night for no reason and the poor guy just took it without argument. I guess he's wishing the time would fly now too! :D

If it helps, they told me I could have a digestive or a rich tea biscuit as a snack once a day if I wanted. Could be a way to curb a craving.

If it helps, they told me I could have a digestive or a rich tea biscuit as a snack once a day if I wanted. Could be a way to curb a craving.

ah good stuff, thanks! Am also hoping that cutting out the normal 2 sugars in my tea will go a long way :pac: Have an appointment with the dietitian tomorrow so will hear what she has to say with regards food plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

fima wrote: »

I know...how prepared can we actually be?! I think about baby ALL the time, every time I wake in the night it's the first thing on my mind, yet it's strange then thinking what is ahead - so terrifying but so exciting at the same time!! I don't think I'll ever feel prepared!!

Honestly can't believe time has flown so quickly and we are all nearing the end!
    Am 37 weeks on Saturday, really feeling the tiredness in work especially travelling in and out, it's my last week next week but it's going to be a struggle! How are ladies that have started maternity leave finding it? I am determined to actually relax but I have written a 'to do' list of things I would like to get done...lazing in pjs will be very tempting though I imagine too!!

How are ladies that have started maternity leave finding it? I am determined to actually relax but I have written a 'to do' list of things I would like to get done...lazing in pjs will be very tempting though I imagine too!!

Don't beat yourself up if you don't get everything you want done.
    I had such big plans for maternity leave but my to-do list has long been abandoned! The fact is by the time I get the dogs walked and the house hoovered and whatever clothes need washing done, I don't have the energy for the extra things I had in mind. I am having a hard time even walking now, with pain in the pelvis.

I had my consultation with the hospital re blood sugar levels and I now have a home kit which I have to use for the next two days, to monitor my blood sugars before and after each meal, and before bedtime. Then I send the results to them. They say if I get over 8.0 on two occasions then I will be deemed to have gestational diabetes and I will be referred to a specialist hospital for the birth - I really hope that doesn't happen. I like the one I am with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mil83

Hey ladies haven't been on for a while I was in hospital being monitored twice a day coz baby was moving as much as it should be but all turned out ok thank God and baby is weighing about 5lb 15oz right now!! I'm really struggling as well with the walking and driving and just general stuff but I find bouncing on the exercise ball really helps especially with the back pain. On a brighter note I'm been taken in on Sunday eve due to the diabetes they don't want me goin to far over the 38 weeks so all going well baby will be here by Monday. Feels very surreal that in 4 days I'm going to be holding my little bundle :) hope everyone is keeping well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lulu1985

Hey guys... ive been kind of creeping in this section just never posted. Im due 20th of december and tbh it cant come quick enough. Another 2weeks left in work and its getting tough.

• Advertisement

Mil83 wrote: »
    Hey ladies haven't been on for a while I was in hospital being monitored twice a day coz baby was moving as much as it should be but all turned out ok thank God and baby is weighing about 5lb 15oz right now!! I'm really struggling as well with the walking and driving and just general stuff but I find bouncing on the exercise ball really helps especially with the back pain. On a brighter note I'm been taken in on Sunday eve due to the diabetes they don't want me goin to far over the 38 weeks so all going well baby will be here by Monday. Feels very surreal that in 4 days I'm going to be holding my little bundle :) hope everyone is keeping well :)

Hey, glad to hear your baby is grand. Looking forward to an announcement after the weekend! :)

Advertisement