Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Oh one other thing, the midwife told me to avoidllanolin cream as baby probably won't like it. Instead she advised to rub some of the milk itself into the nipple. I had one cracked nipple and did as she suggested and by the next day it was grand. The milk seems to be doing the job so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Wonder was there any Christmas day babies from here.

Really thought something was beginning to happen yesterday, had cramps and a horrible pain in my back for most of the day. Went for a long walk down by the beach and had lots of pressure bordering on painful. Woke up this morn and feel fine :rolleyes:.

Had an epic sleep last night though, twas the first in a what feels likes forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    Wonder was there any Christmas day babies from here.

Really thought something was beginning to happen yesterday, had cramps and a horrible pain in my back for most of the day. Went for a long walk down by the beach and had lots of pressure bordering on painful. Woke up this morn and feel fine :rolleyes:.

Had an epic sleep last night though, twas the first in a what feels likes forever.

I was just thinking the same and came on to see any updates.
    Hopefully your little bundle arrives very soon :)
    Hope all the mamas and mamas to be had a lovely christmas. Two first Christmases in our house, so exciting our oldest helped open the presents but took about two hours as she kept getting distracted! Next now is E's first birthday on Monday and party on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Hope all the new mammies (and daddies) are having a lovely Christmas with their new arrivals.
    I'm due tomorrow but bar a fecking miracle, it looks like Bubs is staying put for now. Had backache and was very restless on Sunday and thought it might be the start of something but nothing happening since.
    I felt a bit nauseous earlier and for the first time EVER I wasn't able to eat a dinner in my MIL's house :eek:
    Back with the GP in the morning so we'll see what he has to say :)

Was woken up at about 2 with strong cramps. They have calmed a bit but seem to have to keep moving to keep my back from getting sore.

I've a midwife appt this morning anyway but now dreading driving in that wind.

Could actually end up going on Due date (sunday) at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Was woken up at about 2 with strong cramps. They have calmed a bit but seem to have to keep moving to keep my back from getting sore.

I've a midwife appt this morning anyway but now dreading driving in that wind.

Could actually end up going on Due date (sunday) at this rate.

Hi SweetPea, any movements?

Hope everyone is doing well..baby 8 days old today, had first trip out with car seat etc, surprised me how draining it was walking around and stitches are so sore can't walk for long at all. Think I'll b having a few more pyjama days!
    Meant to be having an evening out 2mw but not sure now, have to express milk and it hurts to sit on anything non cushioned so we'll see if it happens!
    How are other mums doing in that regards? How have you found getting out?

To the mammies that haven't popped yet best of luck! X

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Happy New Year to all new December mammies and mammies to be! Hope everyone is keeping well :)
    Indy is 3 weeks old today and seriously keeping me on my toes. He's a little hunger and I've had to give him supplementary bottles as I just could not keep him fed. We're just finding our balance now and slowly getting there. He's filling out and I'm having a much better time now that I can get to know him without worrying that he's starving. I can honestly say last week, Indys second week was the most upsetting stressful week of my entire life. For any December mams struggling or feeling bad, ask for help! I didn't and got myself in an awful state before my mam realised how hard I was finding it and came in like the cavalry!

Now Indy has a much happier mammy and is happier himself as a result :)

One gripe I seriously have is why do Gp's and Phn's make such a huge deal about how breastfeeding is best then insist in weighing baby nearly every day making the new breastfeeding mam seriously stressed and feeling like a total failure. I understand that babies weight is important however bf babies are different to bottle fed babies and shouldn't be compared!

Rant over...
    Congrats to all new mammies and welcome to all December babies! Someday soon hopefully Indy will allow me a minute to get the laptop out and update our list.

Hi SweetPea, any movements?

Nope...nothing...nada!!!

Actually feel great today, no pains, lots of energy, if it wasn't for the massive bump and the random punches/kicks from the boy I'd swear I wasn't pregnant!

I dunno if it works but I've been told by a few to put pads in the freezer to take down the swelling, might help with sitting down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Congrats to all new mams! There's been quite a few of you since I was last on. I've been enjoying reading all of the updates although I've not had time to reply! Best of luck to all still expecting :-)

Fima you're totally right about the whole checking weight thing. Way too much emphasis put on it. Another thing that bugged me about breastfeeding was the lack of support in hospital. When my little girl didn't feed for longer than 5mins they kept trying to push bottles on her. I was repeatedly told she needed to feed for 20mins at least when in fact she rarely feeds this long. She usually has 10mins or maybe 15 and she's putting on plenty of weight and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies so its clearly enough for her. I wish I'd had the confidence to ignore them but it felt like there was a lot of pressure. I'd advise anyone who's having problems to ask if the lactation midwife could see you as the midwives on duty don't always have enough time.

Good news is it all gets better :-)

I'm beginning to think I'm going to be pregnant forever...:(

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to think I'm going to be pregnant forever...:(

Oh it's so hard towards the end just waiting isn't it?! It'll happen tho! Funny thing is its such an exciting time, I kind of miss being pregnant already which is mad!! Have you been given a date you'll be induced on?

Have you been given a date you'll be induced on?

Nah sure I'm only 2 days over...just being a bit melodramatic :o. I've not enjoyed one part of this pregnancy so just losing all patience at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Happy New Year to all mummies here on Due Dec 2013 forum. Enjoy 2014.. The first year with your little bundles!:-)
    Thank you all for being here through 2013 and my pregnancy:-) It wouldn't been the same without your support!xxx

Elle13 wrote: »
    Happy New Year to all mummies here on Due Dec 2013 forum. Enjoy 2014.. The first year with your little bundles!:-)
    Thank you all for being here through 2013 and my pregnancy:-) It wouldn't been the same without your support!xxx

Happy new year Elle and all the other December mamas. I can't believe the last nine months went by so quick it's been great chatting to everyone and hearing about all your arrivals (hopefully any mums waiting will be holding their little bundles very very soon)
    Wishing you all a very happy and healthy 2014 full of fun and giggles with your new families :) x x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Happy New Year to all the new mums and dads and best wishes for 2014 with your new arrivals.
    Thanks for all the help support and advice from you all.

I'm off to to the Due January 2014 thread. I'm back in the hospital tomorrow for my check up so we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

I'm off to to the Due January 2014 thread. I'm back in the hospital tomorrow for my check up so we'll see how it goes.

Ahhh.. Best of luck Always number 1, hopefully not too long now before you have your little bundle I'm your arms!x

Nah sure I'm only 2 days over...just being a bit melodramatic :o. I've not enjoyed one part of this pregnancy so just losing all patience at this point.

So think you can go 10-14 days over so at least you'll have baby by then!! I went a week over, have you tried any of the things to speed things up? The day before I went I ate pinapple, had a bath with clary sage oil (midwife recomended it!) and had sex!! Something worked as contractions started the next morning haha!!!
    Hope you are feeling ok!!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

How are all the Dec Mamas?

I can't believe my boy is nearly 1 month old, how time flies when you're up to your ears in nappies and a very hungry baby! I am really struggling trying to combine boob & bottle, Indy is so hungry he drinks 6oz bottles then looks for boob an hour later. I feel like a complete failure at the breastfeeding and it doesn't help that everyone has an opinion on it regardless of whether it's asked for or not! Ive been feeding him myself all day and every time I take him off he cracks up looking for more. I don't know if this is cluster feeding or if he's just starving and not getting enough from me :(

Anyway hope everyone's well! And for anyone that hasn't gone yet, Good Luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

fima wrote: »
    How are all the Dec Mamas?

I can't believe my boy is nearly 1 month old, how time flies when you're up to your ears in nappies and a very hungry baby! I am really struggling trying to combine boob & bottle, Indy is so hungry he drinks 6oz bottles then looks for boob an hour later. I feel like a complete failure at the breastfeeding and it doesn't help that everyone has an opinion on it regardless of whether it's asked for or not! Ive been feeding him myself all day and every time I take him off he cracks up looking for more. I don't know if this is cluster feeding or if he's just starving and not getting enough from me :(

Anyway hope everyone's well! And for anyone that hasn't gone yet, Good Luck!!

mine is a month old and taking 5 oz of expressed milk every 2 to 3 hours.
    best thing we ever did was buy a double pump when our eldest was born 3 years ago.

mine is a month old and taking 5 oz of expressed milk every 2 to 3 hours.
    best thing we ever did was buy a double pump when our eldest was born 3 years ago.

Hi Jameson Puny Hamster,can I ask what pump you have? I had a lend of a mothercare electric pump but it made my nipple bleed when I tried it and has scared me off using it again! I think I had the suction on too hard as we didn't have instructions with it!

Fima, I hear ya! Breastfeeding is hard as you can't actually see how much they are getting. Mine has been cluster feeding past few days, he feeds like a monster from 7ish mostly all through the night!! Have been told its normal but its so tiring, he gets really narky too and fights the boob sometimes even though he's crying for a feed! So he'll get nipple in mouth and almost play with it and wiggle and cry for a while!! It's really confusing to watch!!!
    Tempted to switch to formula to let someone else help with feeding, finding it v tiring!!!

• Advertisement

So think you can go 10-14 days over so at least you'll have baby by then!! I went a week over, have you tried any of the things to speed things up? The day before I went I ate pinapple, had a bath with clary sage oil (midwife recomended it!) and had sex!! Something worked as contractions started the next morning haha!!!
    Hope you are feeling ok!!

Had the clary sage going in the burner all week but after reading this, had it in the bath this morning....having some cramps tonight so maybe...

Just willing them to get stronger now...really need this baby out!

Another bloody false alarm....bleugh :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hi tatranska,can I ask what pump you have? I had a lend of a mothercare electric pump but it made my nipple bleed when I tried it and has scared me off using it again! I think I had the

Fima, I hear ya! Breastfeeding is hard as you can't actually see how much they are getting. Mine has been cluster feeding past few days, he feeds like a monster from 7ish mostly all through the night!! Have been told its normal but its so tiring, he gets really narky too and fights the boob sometimes even though he's crying for a feed! So he'll get nipple in mouth and almost play with it and wiggle and cry for a while!! It's really confusing to watch!!!
    Tempted to switch to formula to let someone else help with feeding, finding it v tiring!!!

we got a medela dual pump at Medicare.ie 3,years ago for 400. got 18 months use and using it again now.
    it's just below hospital grade. I see one for 395 on their site.
    we've a fridge full of ready meals for the baby and can freeze the excess for another time.:D
    when you think about the cost of formula it pays for itself.
    my wife expresses 4 times a day for about 15 minutes each time and junior is happy
    it also means I can feed him as well and she can get some sleep at night..

Oh no you poor thing! It will happen soon enough though, prob when you are feeling your most energetic!!

Hopefully next time it won't be a false alarm. Come on baby your mama wants to meet you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

we got a medela dual pump at Medicare.ie 3,years ago for 400. got 18 months use and using it again now.
    it's just below hospital grade. I see one for 395 on their site.
    we've a fridge full of ready meals for the baby and can freeze the excess for another time.:D
    when you think about the cost of formula it pays for itself.
    my wife expresses 4 times a day for about 15 minutes each time and junior is happy
    it also means I can feed him as well and she can get some sleep at night..
    I'm finding the combined feeding and bit of a struggle too. Doesn't help that both babies had a bout of really bad wind/colic and we're really cranky for 2 days. Didn't want to wait to latch onto the breast, when they wanted food it had to be NOW. So for two days had no breastfeeds and only had a manual pump which was a waste of time IMO. Was waiting for my electric one to arrive and I thought I would just feed until it arrived, wasn't counting on cranky inpatient babies! So I'm kinda starting from scratch again and it's not easy. :(

I got the Ameda double pump from boots. €129.99 reduced from €169.99. It gets good reviews so hoping it's good. Only had it 2 days so still only getting going on it, not expressing much yet but fingers crossed it will get better. Was going to invest in a medical grade one, but I have an immune disorder and there is a possibility that in 6 to 12 weeks I could have a flare up. If I do I'll have to take medication and won't be able to breastfeed so I didn't think it was a wise investment to spend that money on something I might only get a few weeks use out of.

I'll let you know my verdict on the Ameda pump in a week or so when I've been able to give it a proper try!

Had the clary sage going in the burner all week but after reading this, had it in the bath this morning....having some cramps tonight so maybe...

Just willing them to get stronger now...really need this baby out!

Hey sweet pea..any news?? ;) hope you are doing ok!!

My beautiful boy was born last thursday, so 11 days over. the labor was long and difficult for both of using the end but is fast becoming just a memory.

Cannot believe he is here and totally underestimated the love you can feel. have had a few moments of sheer panic at the responsibility but things are calming down. we are slowly getting something of a routine and slowly getting the hang of breastfeeding (was not expecting it to be so difficult).

could do with more sleep but otherwise just trilled with the little man.

My beautiful boy was born last thursday, so 11 days over. the labor was long and difficult for both of using the end but is fast becoming just a memory.

Cannot believe he is here and totally underestimated the love you can feel. have had a few moments of sheer panic at the responsibility but things are calming down. we are slowly getting something of a routine and slowly getting the hang of breastfeeding (was not expecting it to be so difficult).

Aw congratulations and well done sweet_pea on the arrival of your little boy :) it takes a while to get a hang of the breastfeeding but you will get there it's all new to both of you at the moment. I'm sure there are a few on here that could do with more sleep haha but honestly it does all get easier as each week goes by and you'll look back and think it actually wasn't as bad as I thought. They really are worth it and wait until your little guy starts smiling back at you just that alone makes it all worth it!
    Enjoy every minute with your new family x

• Advertisement

Yey!! Congratulations!!! Yeah breastfeeding seems like quite a science..so many different opinions out there too, every time I speak to a nurse/doc/midwife they recommend something conflicting! I went to a breastfeeding support group in the local health centre which was worth going to, they spotted my baby was tongue tied which may be making feeding more difficult (altho he is putting weight on fine!) so they are def worth going along to if you feel up to it. Early days at the moment though!
    Is your little one feeding ok? Mine feeds every two hours so it's been intense!

Congrats again :)

Advertisement