Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Thanks Hello Lady, I think what I will try is maybe spoon feed in the evening at 7 followed by a bottle then dreamfeed at 11 if I can get to him on time. I wouldn't water down his bottle but I think I might start having cooled boiled water ready and try him with that when he wakes at 3am. I will also have his bottle ready to if he rejects it then he can still have his milk. He's already in hungry milk which I'm actually not convinced about, I changed him to that from comfort at 15 weeks to help delay weaning and has worked however he spews up a lot more with it but doesn't seem to bother him, just me who goes the washing and smells like sick all the time ��
    Sounds like your girls are thriving, must have been hard with the reflux poor babas!
    So his daddy put his high chair together yesterday and there's no flipping harness included. So ridiculous. Need to go get one at the weekend so my weaning plan is delayed a few days.

Hope all are well!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Hi December mamas! Hope you and all your baba's are keeping well! Can't believe my little one is 4 and half months already!!! Where is the time going : (

Haven't started her on solids yet, trying to get her to 24 weeks before starting solids but we will see!! We had issues with silent reflux which thankfully is under control now so I'm a little wary of starting solids too soon in case it causes her reflux to flare up. Have Annabel Karmels cookbook and some yummy recipes in there : ) Started on the doidy cup today which was gas crack altogether, lots of coughing up and she was half drowned!!

Anyway, just want to say I hope this thread doesn't fade away as its great to hear how everyone is getting on with their little ones : )

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Soooky wrote: »
    Hi December mamas! Hope you and all your baba's are keeping well! Can't believe my little one is 4 and half months already!!! Where is the time going : (

Haven't started her on solids yet, trying to get her to 24 weeks before starting solids but we will see!! We had issues with silent reflux which thankfully is under control now so I'm a little wary of starting solids too soon in case it causes her reflux to flare up. Have Annabel Karmels cookbook and some yummy recipes in there : ) Started on the doidy cup today which was gas crack altogether, lots of coughing up and she was half drowned!!

Anyway, just want to say I hope this thread doesn't fade away as its great to hear how everyone is getting on with their little ones : )

my two are on solids since 16 weeks on doctors advice to try and improve the silent reflux and it definitely seems to have helped.

We use the Tommee tippee sippy cups - they are really good and do what they claim - absolutely no spills! there is a valve in it so the liquid doesn't comes out unless they suck. But just be careful with letting them drink from the cup - I had to put a stop to it with my pair as the guzzling milk was irritating their reflux and giving them hiccups. feeding quickly is not good for refluxers! the solids didn't make it worse at all but the drinking too quickly made them. both mega pukers!

my two are on solids since 16 weeks on doctors advice to try and improve the silent reflux and it definitely seems to have helped.

We use the Tommee tippee sippy cups - they are really good and do what they claim - absolutely no spills! there is a valve in it so the liquid doesn't comes out unless they suck. But just be careful with letting them drink from the cup - I had to put a stop to it with my pair as the guzzling milk was irritating their reflux and giving them hiccups. feeding quickly is not good for refluxers! the solids didn't make it worse at all but the drinking too quickly made them. both mega pukers!

Oh that's reassuring to know that the solids have improved your lo's reflux Hello Lady - well done you on dealing with 2 little refluxers!! Do you mean that you had to put a stop to them drinking from the Tommee Tippee cups? Is it because they have to suck to get the liquid out and can suck in air as well? I have the doidy cup which has no lid - I hold it for her to take a few sips of water but she loves to grab it and drowns herself : )))

Oh that's reassuring to know that the solids have improved your lo's reflux Hello Lady - well done you on dealing with 2 little refluxers!! Do you mean that you had to put a stop to them drinking from the Tommee Tippee cups? Is it because they have to suck to get the liquid out and can suck in air as well? I have the doidy cup which has no lid - I hold it for her to take a few sips of water but she loves to grab it and drowns herself : )))

its anti colic so no air really, had to stop them drinking from the cup (any sort) as they guzzle it too quickly, much quicker than the bottle, and it puts too much pressure on the gastric system and one if not both ends up puking some of it back up. Will stick to bottles only until the reflux is a bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 kidcummins

Hi ladies, I hope ye are all well and babies are happy. We're heading off for the weekend to a hotel to bring baby swimming (I figured a hotel pool would be warmer and quieter for the first dip). Really excited and also nervous about bringing him, even though he loves his baths I don't want to frighten him, so I guess I'm just wondering about how any of ye got on and also any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

kidcummins wrote: »
    Hi ladies, I hope ye are all well and babies are happy. We're heading off for the weekend to a hotel to bring baby swimming (I figured a hotel pool would be warmer and quieter for the first dip). Really excited and also nervous about bringing him, even though he loves his baths I don't want to frighten him, so I guess I'm just wondering about how any of ye got on and also any tips?

Kidcummins we brought our little guy on a break to killarney over Easter and like you we were so excited about the pool. It went great! He loved it and didn't want to get out. He figured out splashing was fun after about 5 minutes and spent the whole time soaking himself and us! I think we went to the pool 4 times in out 2 night stay so it was a definite success!

We brought disposable swim nappies and also a happy nappy for over them and that worked out fi ne. The only you tough bit really was the Changing room as he really didn't want to be put down while I got dressed/undressed so that was a bit tricky but overall a great experience and definitely the best part of our break!

Aww sounds fantastic closifier....better pack my goggles so!! Ya the changing thing is another issue, it's more work to bringing the carryseat I suppose. Now to the packing, I feel the need to bring all his clothes AND mine incase of accidents etc.....I know I'm just really over thinking it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Aww sounds fantastic closifier....better pack my goggles so!! Ya the changing thing is another issue, it's more work to bringing the carryseat I suppose. Now to the packing, I feel the need to bring all his clothes AND mine incase of accidents etc.....I know I'm just really over thinking it!!!

Hi! Just an extra tip-take a towel for babba to the pool area so when you get out you can wrap them up straight away to keep them warm. I've been doing aqua babies and this alone had helped reduce the tears whilst changing them! Also if you take the pram or car seat in with an extra towel lined on the seat it helps if you need to put him down and he may be a bit wet. Hope that helps! So lovely having a swim with them-it's amazing watching their reaction to the water!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Hi! Yeah would be great to keep it going or even arrange a meet up baby group or something but I suppose we are all spread out over Ireland!

My little fella is 4 months now and quite a chunk. Planning on waiting till 6 months to start on solids although am guessing this may be hard as he's so interested in my food and drink already!! Tried the doidy cup too-was messy but fun!!

• Advertisement

Hey all, hope you and your little ones are doing great. Weaning has begun and has been a disaster so far ... like all my other good intentions, everything just went out the window, when I tried him on a tiny bit of sweet potato he lapped it up but then screamed the house down an hour later and at different times through that night. Went out and bought baby rice the next day. He had that for a week and tried sweet potato again, same story, more screaming :( Portions are tiny so I really don't know what was causing it, was going to try again today but we are in my parents holiday place far from home and I just brought one frozen portion. Went to heat in microwave and blew the stupid thing up. Took that as a sign, move on to something else!

Great to hear about you babies going swimming, mad to bring the boy back again but am thinking will have to wait until we're home, can't imagine I would win mother of the year by taking him for a dip in the Atlantic in May!

I bought a little Tommee Tippee sippy cup the other day, don't know if its too early to try him with it? He tries to hold his own bottle but doesn't have the hand control yet, am thinking an oz of cooled boiled water in the cup might be nice for him to try, if anyone can advise? He's 21 weeks tomorrow, 5 months next week .... where the flip is the time going!? There's a December 2014 thread and I'm slightly jealous of them all starting out on their baby journeys, wonder would they swap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

We were supposed to start weaning today but decided against it as it's madams baptism tomorrow and I was visualising a massive poo explosion in all her white gear! Though that could well happen anyway. I'm dying to get started.
    I wonder what it was about sweet potato fima? Let us know how other foods go down!
    I'm up now just finished threading ribbon through a bolero I knit for tomorrow. She chooses now to wake up and look for a feed. Little scallywag smiling up at me. We had such a good sleeper til about 4 nights ago so I'm thinking it's a sign she needs solids.
    Have any of you started weaning yet? Any advice?

Hey fima, we haven't started weaning but I've been doing a lot of reading and our phn gave a practical class at mother/ baby group lst week. All the information points to leaving weaning as close as possible to 26 weeks as their little systems just aren't ready to digest anything other than milk. By reading your post, it sounds like your little one is in pain maybe from her body trying to process the food. I'd say leave it a couple of weeks, a lot happens and changes with babies in a short space of time. There is also a growing spurt at the 19/20 (give or take a week) weeks which make you think they are hungry but it's just another development, usually learning to roll over and that can be thirsty work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

I'm going down the baby led weaning route so with that I'll be holding off till the six month mark. Although, I wouldn't really take waking over night as a sign to start weaning, could be sleep regression or growing. I've started using the TT sippy cup for water, it's really just play at this point but want him to get use to it in case we have a hot summer

I totally agree with you girls. Mad is a week off 6 months so gonna try her tomorrow. We'll see if it makes any odds to her sleep but could be just a growth spurt or anything causing it. You don't rally know til you have the benefit of hindsight really do you? Wonderful little creatures keep us guessing ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

kandr10 wrote: »
    Wonderful little creatures keep us guessing ;-)

Haha yeah we can make all the plans we want but it's them who decide anyway as soon as you think you know what the hell is going on they change the rules again! It's crazy we were in the same thread and so far apart, think you went early kandra and I went over. The boy is only just gone 16 weeks

started early weaning with my girls at 16 weeks on paediatrician's advice to see if it helped reflux. They're 19 weeks now and flying it and only negative is much smellier poos and they are a bit more windy as they get used to it! my biggest struggle is keeping them interested in milk though because now whenever they get hingry they expect to see spoons and bowls and not bottles! so they protest a bit until they have a few gulps of the bottle and then remember oh yeah this is quite nice too! also the teething (which started at 7 weeks!! :eek:) is in full swing now so before every bottle I have to give calgel or they just want to chew the bottle rather than drink it.

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    Haha yeah we can make all the plans we want but it's them who decide anyway as soon as you think you know what the hell is going on they change the rules again! It's crazy we were in the same thread and so far apart, think you went early kandra and I went over. The boy is only just gone 16 weeks

Lol I know! Sure I was only scraping the dec thread anyway!! Went 3 weeks early so well into nov. I stopped counting in weeks but did a quick check there and she's 25.

Our little angel screamed all the way through her baptism today. She's usually so placid but not today! The other babies were quiet as mice :-) ended up sneaking into a corner of the church for a cheeky breastfeed afterwards. Times like that I wish she'd take a soother.

Great to hear the weanings going well hello lady. Any favourite foods yet? So excited to start :-)

Apple and pear purée a big hit in this house. also love sweet potato and apple. I also took inspiration from the ready made meals and copied some of them so we've tried raspberry spinach and yoghurt which they liked but their nappies were horrendous! poor mammy! blueberry and pear porridge is another favourite. mash potatoes and sweetcorn is also good. I also have a stash in the freezer of blueberry, carrot and parsnip; mango banana and pear; and avocado and mango. so far there has been nothing they didn't like. the only thing they aren't keen on is too much porridge in anything so its been mainly fruit and veg with a tiny bit of porridge to thicken it. never bothered with baby rice - its horrible! like wallpaper paste. I wouldn't expect them to eat anything I wouldn't eat.

I have tried them with one or two ready made pouches too as I think its good to encourage them to eat them in times of emergency or if you are travelling or stuck. They like the Annabel Karmel ones from lidl and the Plum organic ones. Didn't bother with the jars as I remember the smell from my own childhood - eh no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

t
    Apple and pear purée a big hit in this house. also love sweet potato and apple. I also took inspiration from the ready made meals and copied some of them so we've tried raspberry spinach and yoghurt which they liked but their nappies were horrendous! poor mammy! blueberry and pear porridge is another favourite. mash potatoes and sweetcorn is also good. I also have a stash in the freezer of blueberry, carrot and parsnip; mango banana and pear; and avocado and mango. so far there has been nothing they didn't like. the only thing they aren't keen on is too much porridge in anything so its been mainly fruit and veg with a tiny bit of porridge to thicken it. never bothered with baby rice - its horrible! like wallpaper paste. I wouldn't expect them to eat anything I wouldn't eat.

I have tried them with one or two ready made pouches too as I think its good to encourage them to eat them in times of emergency or if you are travelling or stuck. They like the Annabel Karmel ones from lidl and the Plum organic ones. Didn't bother with the jars as I remember the smell from my own childhood - eh no thanks!

Hello Lady! Im the same - My LO likes everything! No fussiness at all so far! Sweet potato and apple is also a major hit in my house and it freezes really well so I can batch cook once a week and stock up. You mentioned freezing avocado? I didnt think this would work as i thought it would discolour so thats interesting. Do you find it okay?

I am trying to prepare as much as I can from fresh but like you - the odd ellas kitchen pouch has been used when we are out and about. They seem okay - there arent any preservatives and they actually taste like the fruit they are supposed to taste like!! Also with you on the baby rice - that would surely be enough to put a baby off solids. its so dull!

My baba has been on solids now for 4+ weeks and i know at some stage i will have to introduce texture and lumps and im really really scared about it - choking etc.

Also, at what point can you introduce a little cows milk in cereal? I am hoping to introduce ready brek in the next few weeks but dont fancy pumping especially for this each morning.

• Advertisement

That's great that your little ones taking to the food closifer. It's hearing good experiences makes it less daunting. I've tried carrot and potato and she likes both. Have a bit of parsnip and sweet potato for the freezer. Hopefully it goes well. According to an anabel Karmel book that I'm reading very gradually, cows milk can be used for cooking from 6 months but you could also use cooled boiled water. I don't feel very strongly against the baby cereals if they're sugar free and mixed with a bit of purée. I find ready Brek and porridge generally as bland.
    They're some interesting food combos hello lady. Thanks for that. Great idea to take inspiration from the jars :-)

closifer I make the avocado by blending it then mix with the mango. the acid in the mango stops it discolouring and I freeze it straight away.

yeah cows milk is ok to cook with and slowly introduce from 6 months. You could use formula or water.

Just thinking as well closifer, you could express a bit of milk and freeze in say half ounce pirtions to add to cereal if you don't want to use cows milk. Or formula as hello lady says!

Some great recipe ideas there Hello Lady - I think I'm going to rob some of them :))
    Decided to hold off on the solids with our LO until she is 24 weeks old (week after next) - feeling excited but nervous as well because of the silent reflux! Think we'll try either sweet potato or avocado first....

Spent the last hour packing away lots of LO's clothes that she has grown out of - nearly crying at the size of some of them and the memories they bring back! Where has the time gone to!!! Getting a babygro teddy made out of some of her babygro's - I saw a lady on facebook who makes them and they look super : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

The bit in bold - that's my own philosophy! Anything I make for him, I'll be taste-testing first. If I prepare something that I can't stomach myself, not a chance will I feed it to him! As for baby rice, bland as f*ck with pretty much zero nutritional value ... no thanks!

I'll be staying well away from jars, but I've started stocking up on Ella's pouches, will be handy for when we're away from the house for a good bit. Again, though, will taste them myself first before giving them to him! They seem pretty wholesome and tasty though! Will be doing the vast majority of cooking myself, but it's good to have a back-up that he will (hopefully!) take in emergency situations!

I totally agree with the sentiment but I'm just thinking of how my own mother never gave us porridge, custard, rice pudding or similar cos she didn't like them. I only recently overcame my irrational fear of porridge. Really hoping I don't inflict any weird food aversions in my kids lol :-)

Weaning is going well for us so far. She seems to like most if what we've given. Only thing is she got a bit of nappy rash when her dirty nappies became more frequent. It's tremendous fun that said. Love watching her face react to new tastes.

I hear you on the clothes front. It's crazy looking back and seeing how small things are now. I never heard of a babygro teddy. Sounds like a lovely idea if it's what I'm picturing.

Hi ladies, hope all are well and happy? Could I ask yer daily routine please, back to work and crèche in a month so want to get something vaguely in place. At the moment we're nursing to sleep. Cheers

Hi ladies, hope all are well and happy? Could I ask yer daily routine please, back to work and crèche in a month so want to get something vaguely in place. At the moment we're nursing to sleep. Cheers

Hey Kidcummins, I can't help as I have no real routine ....just that he gets fed at certain times and naps whenever he needs it, bed at 7.30 and normally up at 6am. Will be interested to see any other mammies routines and specifically how many naps and for how long the little ones are taking. I will be starting a part time job in July and (hopefully) college end of September so I really need to get something in place as well!

Hey, ya everyday is a little different with us that's why I was curious. He wakes 7-7.30 with a soiled nappy, we play in bed 4 an hour and go back to sleep for usually 40-60 mins. Then for the rest of the day he goes to sleep 2 hours after he last woke and sleeps for 40 mins usually. We're still breastfeeding, he has refused bottle since he's 13 weeks and now at 23 weeks is finally taking an ounce from sippy cup. I'm in a bit of a panic because he is settling into crèche in 2 weeks and not yet started solids but I think he is getting there now so next week fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

We have a fairly loose routine but it goes something like this.... usually bath at 8pm with feed after and into her cot then (sometimes she is asleep when going into her cot but if she's awake we put on her cot mobile and she goes off to sleep). She wakes for a feed at around 1.30am and then anywhere between 4am & 5am - she usually goes straight back to sleep after each feed. Another feed at 8.30am/9am - sometimes she wakes up then or sometimes goes back to sleep until 10am which is lovely! Sometimes another little feed at 11am and if we go out for a walk or drive she will sleep - she used to lie down for a nap in the morning in her cot but the last 2 weeks she hasn't (probably because we've been getting up late!). We started solids a few days ago so she has her little lunch and feed at 1.30pm. Afternoon nap can happen at any time so we work in her next feeds around that.

Started giving her the sippy cup a few weeks ago - she just played with it really but now grasps the handles and drinks although I have to watch that she doesn't take in too much air : )

Solids are causing major constipation at the moment - she hasn't had a poo in the 6 days since we started solids and I am starting to panic a bit! She does go a good few days between poops as she is bf but I thought once she started on solids she would go more often! She has had a fair amount of food gone in and none coming out!! She has had her water in her sippy cup and we have tried fruit purees and also prune juice today and no joy : ((((

Advertisement