Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 guesswhat

Hi
    Hope you're all doing well!
    I have another scan in hospital at 20 weeks. Would I be able to see if its a boy or girl then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Excited!

guesswhat wrote: »
    Hi
    Hope you're all doing well!
    I have another scan in hospital at 20 weeks. Would I be able to see if its a boy or girl then?!

Hi guesswhat,

Yeah im fairly sure you can tell at 20weeks this is something i just had a quick google about and this is what it says

""but thanks to the wonders of modern technology, moms and dads these days are able to find out a baby’s gender with ultrasound months before delivery. This is most commonly done between the 18th and 26th weeks of the pregnancy, but some newer ultrasound technology can determine the baby’s gender as early as 12 or 13 weeks""

Are you going to find out?? i want to wait for the surprise but i have zero willpower so as long as hubby is with me at 20week scan ill be fine but if he wasnt there i wouldnt be able to stop myself finding out. Good thing he plans to be there :):):)

Alwaysnumber1: Congrats re your scan, its just such an amazing thing to see isnt it :):)

Fairie wrote: »
    Your welcome excited, it was actually my mum who said it to me. I blame pregnancy brain for not letting us think of the obvious ;)
    Three children under three wow!! But it's nice to know someone else went through the same. Suppose there isn't much work can do about it!
    I always thought unpaid mat was statutory right like parental leave? I do stand corrected though. I'm not sure what way it work re how many weeks you can take maybe check with your HR dept. I'm civil service, the dept is only too happy not to pay me!! Hopefully I'll be able to take the 16 weeks after this baby. I'd give up work if we could afford it!

Thanks Fairie, yeah ive never realised how true baby brain was until now lol!! I am just unreal sometimes now!

Im civil service too and i think your right about it being a statutory right, my boss has said people usually take up to 12 weeks unpaid leave but that doesnt really mean much because he would want me to take as little unpaid leave as possible as he cant get a replacement for me while im on unpaid leave he can only get cover for maternity/sick/parental leave so unpaid puts pressure on all the team and they can take hols while im on leave as they have to cover my leave so your almost made feel guilty about it....still not much i can do about that i hope to take the full 16 weeks, yeah id love to give up work too but not a hope, even going part time would be great but not for another while unfortunately!!! ah well.

hope your well :)

Hi
    Please remember that those 16 weeks unpaid immediately after weeks paid maternity leave are a statutory entitlement that you're entitled to. If you need or want to take those 16 weeks, take it.
    I'll want to find out at the next scan (if I can) if its boy or girl. I think it will still be a surprise and I just can't wait to known ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Hi all, Welcome and Congrats to the new expectant Mams :)

Does anybody know how often we are supposed to go to our GP's? I'm 16 weeks today and kind of anxious to hear a heartbeat. I got a form from the maternity on my 12 week scan that said I should visit the GP in August. Have a 20 week scan in July but I really would like to hear it soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

fima wrote: »
    Hi all, Welcome and Congrats to the new expectant Mams :)

Does anybody know how often we are supposed to go to our GP's? I'm 16 weeks today and kind of anxious to hear a heartbeat. I got a form from the maternity on my 12 week scan that said I should visit the GP in August. Have a 20 week scan in July but I really would like to hear it soon.

Hi fima, popping in from October! After my 12 week scan i was told to go to docs after 4 weeks, so i was 16 weeks and they check your BP urine and listened to the heartbeat! I had my 20 week scan last week and i have my appointment with docs first week in July. It just alternates really every 4-5 weeks to keep a check on you!

Hope your keeping well ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I always thought unpaid mat was statutory right like parental leave? I do stand corrected though.

Hi all,

Fairie is correct - the additional 16 weeks unpaid leave is a statutory right. However it is not only unpaid (i.e your employer does not have to pay you) but it is also unpaid from a maternity benefit point of view (i.e no SW benefit after the 26 weeks).

If you want to take your additional leave, your employer cannot refuse as it is a statutory right - provided you have informed them in the correct manner.

All the info is on the citizens info site
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

Hi all,

Fairie is correct - the additional 16 weeks unpaid leave is a statutory right. However it is not only unpaid (i.e your employer does not have to pay you) but it is also unpaid from a maternity benefit point of view (i.e no SW benefit after the 26 weeks).

If you want to take your additional leave, your employer cannot refuse as it is a statutory right - provided you have informed them in the correct manner.

All the info is on the citizens info site
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

HI all :),

Fairie and Hello Lady: Thank you both so much i looked up citizens info and you are 100% correct we are fully entitled to the 16 weeks which is a great relief. My employers kinda make you feel guilty about taking time coz they want to use as little replacement cover as possible,

Can i ask you ladies about gaining weight? Ive been using about 3 different scales between the doctors, my own and my mums but for ages i didnt seem to be gaining anything other than 2-3lbs since the start but now it says ive gained 8lbs!! and im kinda shocked coz thats too much for my stage (i was 14 weeks last fri) so im hoping its just the difference in scales but just wondering what is the rest of your experience??
    x

well I am technically due in January if I go full gestation, but as I am having twins it is likely it will be December (hence why I am tagging along in both the due Dec and due Jan threads!).

I am only just coming up to my 12 weeks and I am already huge on the tummy. This is thanks to a combination of twins and really bad IBS. I was weighed at my last two hospital visits and my first weigh in I was the same as my pre-pregnancy weight (which isn't exactly small! only just within the safe BMI!) and I have only put on 1kg in between the first and second visit. I think I might actually be loosing weight on my proper fat bits and putting it all back on in the bump area! The reason I think this is because my trousers are more baggy on my bum and thighs but barely closing on my belly. I look about 5 mths pregnant right now.

I'd say the different scales are definitely making a difference for you. In addition, I wouldn't worry too much - a lot of the weight could be fluid or caused by bloating. Unless you are eating lots of crap and sugar, or your BP is high, I wouldn't stress over it. No two pregnancies are the same. If you are concerned, check with your GP, but for now I would say you are fine, you are probably just too aware of it making you think it's a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Excited! wrote: »
    HI all :),

Fairie and Hello Lady: Thank you both so much i looked up citizens info and you are 100% correct we are fully entitled to the 16 weeks which is a great relief. My employers kinda make you feel guilty about taking time coz they want to use as little replacement cover as possible,

Can i ask you ladies about gaining weight? Ive been using about 3 different scales between the doctors, my own and my mums but for ages i didnt seem to be gaining anything other than 2-3lbs since the start but now it says ive gained 8lbs!! and im kinda shocked coz thats too much for my stage (i was 14 weeks last fri) so im hoping its just the difference in scales but just wondering what is the rest of your experience??
    x

Good to know about the unpaid leave. Don't feel guilty about taking it if you feel it's best for you and baby then go for it once baby arrives your not going to care what work think!! :)
    Try worry about your weight everyone and every pregnancy is so different. On dd I lost weight up until about week 30 after that it went on so quick this time I've put on a few pounds already! Remember it's not just baby in there, there's also lots of fluids, placenta etc that make up alot of the weight. Once bp, urine are all ok and gp is happy with any weight gain/loss don't worry about it and enjoy your growing bump :):)
    Hope everyone is keeping well x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlows

Hi All,

I had my appointment at hospital yesterday. I'm 13 weeks 5 days and due 23rd Dec! I was informed yesterday that i will be getting the AntiD injection at 28 weeks and again when the baby is born. I hadn't heard of getting it during the pregnancy before-is this a new thing? I had Anti D after first pregnancy but didn't after 2nd as baby was rhesus negative aswell.

I'm starting to look for maternity clothes now but cant find anything nice. Hope everyone is keeping well.

carlows wrote: »
    Hi All,

I had my appointment at hospital yesterday. I'm 13 weeks 5 days and due 23rd Dec! I was informed yesterday that i will be getting the AntiD injection at 28 weeks and again when the baby is born. I hadn't heard of getting it during the pregnancy before-is this a new thing? I had Anti D after first pregnancy but didn't after 2nd as baby was rhesus negative aswell.

I'm starting to look for maternity clothes now but cant find anything nice. Hope everyone is keeping well.

Hi. I don't even know what that Anti D injection is!
    My clothes are getting too smal but maternity clothes are still too big ... last years summer clothes don't fit me either :-(

Hi Guesswhat,
    Because my blood group is rhesus negative and if the baby is rhesus positive there is a slight risk that our blood might mix and cause me to form antibodies. The antibodies can then cause complications for subsequent RhD positive babies i may have as my body would fight off that baby.......or something along that lines!!! I have to have an anti D injection to prevent this from happening.
    I rooted out my old maternity clothes last night, like you some are too big for me at this stage but my own clothes are too tight. I'm struggling for something to wear to work everyday!

Hi All,

Hi carlows, maybe baby will arrive on time and you will be home for christmas :)
    I found on dd that at around week 14, 28 and 34/35 the worst clothes wise nothing fitted!! For week 14 I just bought a few bits in penny's and dunnes a size or two bigger they did for a good while then out came the maternity clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Hi Guesswhat,
    Because my blood group is rhesus negative and if the baby is rhesus positive there is a slight risk that our blood might mix and cause me to form antibodies. The antibodies can then cause complications for subsequent RhD positive babies i may have as my body would fight off that baby.......or something along that lines!!! I have to have an anti D injection to prevent this from happening.
    I rooted out my old maternity clothes last night, like you some are too big for me at this stage but my own clothes are too tight. I'm struggling for something to wear to work everyday!

I had my baby in April Carlows and am rh neg also. They tested my antibody levels twice during the pregnancy and then tested my daughters blood immediately after birth, she turned out to be rh neg also so no need for the injection. I was with holles street in Dublin and was very nervous of getting any blood product. My consultant told me it was my decision at the end of the day and they could only advise, they wouldn't strap me down to inject so to speak. If you're not happy receiving it unnecessarily let them know, they have to listen to you!

Congrats to all December mamas!

Hi Digs,

I'm thinking about not getting it until baby is born and is tested. Don't want to get it unnecessarily. I was just surprised yesterday when the nurse said it to me then i went into the Doctor and she asked if the nurse had explained it to me. When i said yes she said well we'll talk about it again nearer the time anyway so then i started to think maybe this could be a big decision.

Hopefully baby will arrive on time and i'll be home for Xmas eve-would hate to miss out on Santa and seeing their faces x-mas morning

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Hi girls,

congratulation on pregnancy to all of you. Hope you don't mind if I join in ?! :) I am due on the 16.12.2013 with no. 2. I remember being so excited when I first found out that I was looking for thread ''due December 2013'' back in April :D The terrible 24/7 sickness took over then so that took my mind of searching for people on boards :-) I am feeling great now.. the odd sickness and tiredness but really well other than that.
    Hope you are all doing well and have peaceful and enjoyable pregnancy :-) Can I ask you which hospital are you having your babies?

Welcome Elle and congratulations.

I'm attending the Rotunda Semi-private

Welcome Elle and Congrats also.

I'm attending Waterford Regional under Dr. O'Donnell

Elle13 wrote: »
    Hi girls,

congratulation on pregnancy to all of you. Hope you don't mind if I join in ?! :) I am due on the 16.12.2013 with no. 2. I remember being so excited when I first found out that I was looking for thread ''due December 2013'' back in April :D The terrible 24/7 sickness took over then so that took my mind of searching for people on boards :-) I am feeling great now.. the odd sickness and tiredness but really well other than that.
    Hope you are all doing well and have peaceful and enjoyable pregnancy :-) Can I ask you which hospital are you having your babies?

Welcome and congrats Elle :)
    I'm due 15th with number 2 going to mullingar hospital. Which hospital are you with? Great your feeling better, I don't think the tiredness ever fully leaves!

• Advertisement

Due to personal circumstances its very very likely that I'll be changing hospitals along the way but it will be public all the way

Welcome and congrats Elle :)
    I'm due 15th with number 2 going to mullingar hospital. Which hospital are you with? Great your feeling better, I don't think the tiredness ever fully leaves!

Thanks a lot girls. Am semi-private in Holles street, Dublin. I know still really tired but at least I can keep my eyes open :-) for the first 12 weeks I was so tired between 2pm and 5pm that my 3 year old could literary jump on the top of me and I was still struggling ti keep my eyes open. How old is your no.1 Fairlie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Welcome and Congrats Elle13, and any other December mums that have joined in :)

I can feel little tickles in my tummy the last few days, I really hope its the baby moving and not my imagination, Is anyone else feeling these? Can feel them right now it's such a lovely feeling :)

Had my first weird craving although I wasn't craving it I just spotted it in the fridge and thought yum, Yorkie and goats cheese, washed down with orange juice. My bf was gagging but cheese and chocolates not that weird is it!?

I'll be public in the Limerick maternity. Is there really a difference between private/public for anyone that's experienced it? I was told not to bother and save the money for baby stuff as care is the same. I have no experience so I don't know.

Hi Fima, I went private at first with my first one but when I seen on my first appointment that I still had to wait for consultant over an hour even though I had an appointment and then he was very quick done with me (I was with him for 4 minutes exactly) I felt no way I am paying for this kind of treatment so I swapped to public care in midwives clinic. The midwives were great only ever had to wait a little while then they would give me as much time I needed and answered all my questions etc. Haven't say that I went for semi - private delivery and accommodation which was covered under my vhi policy anyway.Only si I did not have to share the room with 20 other people. This time the same option is not available any longer so that's why I am going semi-private but again am going to attend midwives clinic (only semi-private this time) which will cost me 500 and all the rest will be covered again by vhi. I would not think consultants give you as much time as midwives plus sometimes I felt the midwives had better idea than consultants of what's going on with me and the baby. I don't think you get better care if going private or semi-private just less people to share the room at delivery :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Hello all and to all the new December mums! ;)
    14 weeks today, still feeling so tired all day and sick all evening - usually kicks in around 7ish with a banging headache, am trying to drink a ton of water to help but nothing really shifts it. Is anyone else experiencing headaches? Usually end up going to bed around 9 just so I don't have to roll around the place feeling sick! So looking forward to feeling better soon, fingers crossed!

Elle13 - welcome! I am going public at Holles Street, have my first appointment there on Tuesday, looking forward to properly starting the whole process! Have had two scans so far - the first gave me due date of 24th Dec and then the second have 15th December, so will be interesting to see what the hospital say on Tuesday! Will be a funny old Xmas this year for us all!! :)

fima wrote: »

I can feel little tickles in my tummy the last few days, I really hope its the baby moving and not my imagination, Is anyone else feeling these? Can feel them right now it's such a lovely feeling :)

Really?! :-) I feel some tickles and funny noise/ movement in my tummy but don't know what that is! What does is it supposed to feel like baby moving?!

I have no other option than public and from what I hear the 'main difference' is having a private room or not. I just wish to be in the hospital the least time as possible, no matter what room Im in

Thanks a lot girls. Am semi-private in Holles street, Dublin. I know still really tired but at least I can keep my eyes open :-) for the first 12 weeks I was so tired between 2pm and 5pm that my 3 year old could literary jump on the top of me and I was still struggling ti keep my eyes open. How old is your no.1 Fairlie ?

Up until about week 12 I was exhausted but energy levels are starting to slowly come back :) dd is 6 months so there will be just under a year between them!
    Fima I don't think there's much difference between public and private bar your own room and that's not even a guarantee. I was public last time (and again this time) was very sick for the last 8 weeks on dd and I received the best care possible personally I'd rather keep the money for baby or a few unpaid weeks leave!

Up until about week 12 I was exhausted but energy levels are starting to slowly come back :) dd is 6 months so there will be just under a year between them!
    Fima I don't think there's muce between publ nd private bar your own room and that's not even a guarantee. I was public last time (and again this time) was very sick for the last 8 weeks on dd and I received the best care possible personally I'd rather keep the money for baby or a few unpaid weeks leave!

Wow... You are a superhero to me! ;-) I have a three year old boy and he has been crazy active ever since he was about 5 months so I was nor even able to imagine having another baby until now! :-) Still can not really imagene what it will be like having two...

Quote="afternoon tea;8195"]HelloI all and to all thr new December mams! ;)
    14 weeks today, still feeling so tired all day and sick all evening - usually kicks in around 7ish with a banging headache, am trying to drink a ton of water to help but nothing really shifts it. Is anyone else experiencing headaches? Usually end up going to bed around 9 just so I don't have to roll around the place feeling sick! So looking forward to feeling better soon, fingers crossed!

Elle13 - welcome! I am going public at Holles Street, have my first appointment there on Tuesday, looking forward to properly starting the whole process! Have had two scans so far - the first gave me due date of 24th Dec and then the second have 15th December, so will be interesting to see what the hospital say on Tuesday! Will be a funny old Xmas this year for us all!! :)[/quote]

Yey we are due around same date i was given 16.12. as my due date so hope all will go to plan so we are home for xmas:-)

• Advertisement

Wow... You are a superhero to me! ;-) I have a three year old boy and he has been crazy active ever since he was about 5 months so I was nor even able to imagine having another baby until now! :-) Still can not really imagene what it will be like having two...

Haha I don't know about superhero! This little one was a nice surprise did want them close together just weren't planning this close!! I don't think there's anyway to imagine having two until there actually is two it'll be fun though (I'm thinking positive ;) )!!

Advertisement