Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

all the pregnancy yoga classes near me are in the morning! what is that all about? Clearly I'm not the only pregnant woman who works, so I can't understand why so many ante-natal classes are held during working hours?? daft!

I have asked my normal yoga instructor if I can attend the normal class and just adapt it for being pregnant and she said no problem - she'll just tell me what exercises to avoid and give me an alternative. So looking forward to starting back at that in a week or two (couldn't face it until now as I was so sick in the evenings there was no hope of me being able to go).

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Always number 1 - glad your scan went well - just so so lovely seeing it isn't it! I think I could get addicted to them - so tempted to pay for another private one! My next one is 20wk scan where I'll be 22wks on Aug 13th...seems so long away!

Yes we could be having Xmas dinner together ha! such a funny thought isn't it - how life will change all of a sudden! Are you starting to shiiow yet? I have a little bump but it's easily hidden in loose tops at the moment!
    I'm starting to think about the birth and would really like to have water birth - is this an option without going to midwifery led unit I wonder?

Hi Aftetnoon tea,

I was not even aware there was a water birth option in IRL! When I had my no. 1 three years ago there was no such an option within any of the Dublin's maternity hospitals as they had to get rid of all birthing pools within the country after some incident with them. Cant remember what exactly it was. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Elle13 wrote: »
    Hi Aftetnoon tea,

I was not even aware there was a water birth option in IRL! When I had my no. 1 three years ago there was no such an option within any of the Dublin's maternity hospitals as they had to get rid of all birthing pools within the country after some incident with them. Cant remember what exactly it was. :-/

Oh really! That's a shame!! I think I've been watching too much of 'One born every minute' and thought a birthing pool looks lovely, maybe I'll do some reseach and see!!

Oh really! That's a shame!! I think I've been watching too much of 'One born every minute' and thought a birthing pool looks lovely, maybe I'll do some reseach and see!!

I know, I think I would have definitely gone for that option too!:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 guesswhat

Hi Everyone
    I was wondering ... how often should you visit your GP? Next hospital app is in end of July at 20 weeks but not sure how often I sould be going to my GP
    Thanks

• Advertisement

guesswhat wrote: »
    Hi Everyone
    I was wondering ... how often should you visit your GP? Next hospital app is in end of July at 20 weeks but not sure how often I sould be going to my GP
    Thanks

Hi giesswhat, my GP said you should cut the time in half.. So if the hospital wants to see you in 10 weeks time from now then you should see your GP in 5 weeks from now etc. Hope this helps :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

I know, I think I would have definitely gone for that option too!:-)

There's a birthing pool in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital. My friend used one but she had to get out of the water to actually give birth - don't know if that was because of her circumstances or is that the rule. Think there's also one in Cavan Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭beltzar

The Coombe also have a birthing pool. So it just depends on whether it is available at the time.

Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well.
    Had started to come through the tiredness but seems to have kicked back in with vengeance this week - it seems to have coincided with a little bump appearing which we're so excited about.
    Finding it hard to find reasonably priced maternity wear - as enjoyable as this heatwave is, I can't envisage it will be this warm in the depths of winter. Anyone any recommendations or suggestions?
    Based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well.
    Had started to come through the tiredness but seems to have kicked back in with vengeance this week - it seems to have coincided with a little bump appearing which we're so excited about.
    Finding it hard to find reasonably priced maternity wear - as enjoyable as this heatwave is, I can't envisage it will be this warm in the depths of winter. Anyone any recommendations or suggestions?
    Based in Dublin.

I'm convinced the heat is making me more tired! Exhausted last few days. I either need a nap during the day or bed at 9. I got a few bits in new look. The jeans and trousers were about 15-20 as far as I remember. I ended up getting long tops that were non maternity to wear over leggings which is working out well for the hot weather. I've heard h&m have a decent range but haven't gotten anything from them.
    Hope everyone's doing well :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

I'm cracking up trying to find something comfortable but nice to wear, have been lucky to be on the beach the last few days but struggling with my bikini as I am not spending 40-50 euros on a maternity bikini when I will most likely never get to use it again. Have tried borrowing friends one or two sizes bigger and they just hang off my backside. So am wearing my own just tied really tight each side leaving me with horrible sore marks but if not tied really tight they roll down. I got a lovely cover up in dunnes so now the tactic is I wear the cover up down to the water, my friend/bf takes it and waits while I have a swim. Then I put it back on and go back to sitting like a beached whale :)

20 weeks next Monday, feeling a lot of movement on some days and very quiet on others. Was feeling very emotional and stressed last week, was convinced something terrible had happened my baby due to stress I've been under as I hadn't felt movement in a few days. Went to the doctor and heard the heartbeat so was very relieved :) Am feeling what could nearly be described as kicks some nights but my bf cant feel them yet. My belly button is also after turning into some type of blackhole, its massive! A friend gave me the advice that if I want to feel the baby move to sit down and put my feet up and drink a large glass of cold water. Has worked sometimes and not others but bf says I'm a pest and I'm tormenting the baby by poking it and making it move. I was worried then I was going to cause long term psychological damage .... slightly ridiculous but I'm worrying about everything at the moment. Need to relax!

Have made the difficult decision to defer my place in college until next year. I had hoped/foolishly planned that I would take December off and return after christmas break with bf looking after baby during day (he works nights) Don't think this is feasible though, I really want to feed the baby myself and since I am thinking that this will be my only baby then I want to spend the first months at home with him or her. I had planned to drive home at lunch and express but i live too far from the college and since I will be on placement for half the year this probably wouldn't work anyway. Very hard decision due to finances or lack of finances as the case will be, is there any other student mums to be?

Oh yes sorry, one more thing, had my first antenatal class last week, was a bit of waste of time really, very common sense stuff. Had a physio come in and show us exercises on a gym ball so I went off and bought one straight away afterwards but it turned out to be too small so when I blew it up I tried to sit on it but nearly rolled backwards and fell off. It was a 30in gym ball so be careful anyone else looking at getting one. Get your partner or friend to sit on it first. Am waiting on a bigger one to be delivered now :)

The class was held in the back of the maternity hospital I'm attending and they have us our schedule for the four classes nearer the due date. The only thing that struck a chord with me was the midwife explaining about the affects of sugary drinks on the baby. I never ever drank them before but since I've been pregnant I have been craving lilt. I limit myself to one small bottle every week because it gives me spots but the midwife said they gave the baby a mad sugar rush followed by a crash. I felt so guilty! I said this to my friend and she said she drank a bottle of lucozade orange every day on her baby, her baby is absolutely crazy (in a lovely hyper way) so i wonder if it's connected? Also am aware of one person who drank litres (literally) daily of red lemonade on their pregnancy and their child is clinically obese and addicted to food/sugar. Has made me much more careful about what I'm drinking, I still have one cup of strong coffee every day but I'm on the water or orange juice then.

Anyone else been to a class yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

fima wrote: »
    Oh yes sorry, one more thing, had my first antenatal class last week, was a bit of waste of time really, very common sense stuff. Had a physio come in and show us exercises on a gym ball so I went off and bought one straight away afterwards but it turned out to be too small so when I blew it up I tried to sit on it but nearly rolled backwards and fell off. It was a 30in gym ball so be careful anyone else looking at getting one. Get your partner or friend to sit on it first. Am waiting on a bigger one to be delivered now :)

The class was held in the back of the maternity hospital I'm attending and they have us our schedule for the four classes nearer the due date. The only thing that struck a chord with me was the midwife explaining about the affects of sugary drinks on the baby. I never ever drank them before but since I've been pregnant I have been craving lilt. I limit myself to one small bottle every week because it gives me spots but the midwife said they gave the baby a mad sugar rush followed by a crash. I felt so guilty! I said this to my friend and she said she drank a bottle of lucozade orange every day on her baby, her baby is absolutely crazy (in a lovely hyper way) so i wonder if it's connected? Also am aware of one person who drank litres (literally) daily of red lemonade on their pregnancy and their child is clinically obese and addicted to food/sugar. Has made me much more careful about what I'm drinking, I still have one cup of strong coffee every day but I'm on the water or orange juice then.

Anyone else been to a class yet?

Hi Fima,

Im going on 20 weeks too and I was due to return to college to do the teaching dip in september. I didnt accept the place. It was unfeasible to think I would be in doing teaching practice a few weeks before and after the birth so ill go back to the drawing board this time next year!

Im with you on the bikini front too. Im pretty huge now and am due to go to Portugal for 4 nights in a few weeks. There are a few maternity tankinis and bikinis on ebay for about 20euro which still stings ( im used to getting mine in penneys for 7 quid) but its better than the mothercare prices and TBH I tried one on in mothercare and it was seriously unflattering anyway!

The whole maternity clothes thing is tough. Not a whole lot fits me at the moment. Leggings and tshirts are fine but i work in an office where formal wear is required and its a nightmare as I dont want to invest in too much but I am running out of options in the mornings! Asos.com do have a sale at the mo and i picked up a few tops and skirts for 10 euros each with free delivery so hopefully they will be nice when they arrive :)

I'm cracking up trying to find something comfortable but nice to wear, have been lucky to be on the beach the last few days but struggling with my bikini as I am not spending 40-50 euros on a maternity bikini when I will most likely never get to use it again. Have tried borrowing friends one or two sizes bigger and they just hang off my backside. So am wearing my own just tied really tight each ok side leaving me with horrible sore marks but if not tied really tight they roll down. I got a lovely cover up in dunnes so now the tactic is I wear the cover up down to the water, my friend/bf takes it and waits while I have a swim. Then I put it back on and go back to sitting like a beached whale :)

20 weeks next Monday, feeling a lot of movement on some days and very quiet on others. Was feeling very emotional and stressed last week, was convinced something terrible had happened my baby due to stress I've been under as I hadn't felt movement in a few days. Went to the doctor and heard the heartbeat so was very relieved :) Am feeling what could nearly be described as kicks some nights but my bf cant feel them yet. My belly button is also after turning into some type of blackhole, its massive! A friend gave me the advice that if I want to feel the baby move to sit down and put my feet up and drink a large glass of cold water. Has worked sometimes and not others but bf says I'm a pest and I'm tormenting the baby by poking it and making it move. I was worried then I was going to cause long term psychological damage .... slightly ridiculous but I'm worrying about everything at the moment. Need to relax!

Have made the difficult decision to defer my place in college until next year. I had hoped/foolishly planned that I would take December off and return after christmas break with bf looking after baby during day (he works nights) Don't think this is feasible though, I really want to feed the baby myself and since I am thinking that this will be my only baby then I want to spend the first months at home with him or her. I had planned to drive home at lunch and express but i live too far from the college and since I will be on placement for half the year this probably wouldn't work anyway. Very hard decision due to finances or lack of finances as the case will be, is there any other student mums to be?

Hi Fima, glad you are trying to relax a bit more :-) Am a student too and working only placement so I am kinda on the same boat as you:-) exept I am still hoping to have the baby and come back to college after xmas break... It's my final year si don't want to defer unless there is no other way:-) I also have a three year old at home already so I know am in for a massive shock to the system when the baba arrives but still gonna give it a go before or if I have to defer! I am also gonna breastfeed as long as I will be able to... Done 8 months with no 1 and it was far from straight forward and painless but I can not imagine not giving it my all this time around :-) I am 18 weeks now and feeling the movements for past week or so but nothing major just here and there :-) Some nice maternity linen pants in New Look and H&M have great maternity legins and some great basic skirts and pants in non maternity basics just flexible waist line which I find so comfy. I got few oversized tops in TK Maxx and they look great with legins or even skirts :-) Having headaches since the heat wave started even though I am drinking loads.:-/ Hope everyone us doing well and weeks are ticking away:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 guesswhat

Hi
    I was wondering ... is anyone attending St Luke's Hospital in Kilkenny?
    Thanks

Hi Fima, glad you are trying to relax a bit more :-) Am a student too and working only placement so I am kinda on the same boat as you:-) exept I am still hoping to have the baby and come back to college after xmas break... It's my final year si don't want to defer unless there is no other way:-) I also have a three year old at home already so I know am in for a massive shock to the system when the baba arrives but still gonna give it a go before or if I have to defer! I am also gonna breastfeed as long as I will be able to... Done 8 months with no 1 and it was far from straight forward and painless but I can not imagine not giving it my all this time around :-)

Fair Play to you, I couldn't do it! How will you manage the feeds? I would love to try but feel like college is too far from home so couldn't get home fast if needed. I do feel like I'm delaying life though, have been waiting for this for so long and now have to wait another year!

My bf felt the little one moving this morning, it's so strong I have a feeling it's gonna be one big baby!

Hope everyone's well and growing nicely, its obvious I'm pregnant now so I'm going around doing the "International Pregnant Woman Stance" as my friend calls it, both hands on back, belly stuck out even more :)

Fair Play to you, I couldn't do it! How will you manage the feeds? I would love to try but feel college is too from home so couldn't get home fast if needed. I do feel like I'm delaying life though, have been waiting for this for so long and now have to wait another year!

My bf felt the little one moving this morning, it's so strong I have a feeling it's gonna be one big baby!

Hope everyone's well and growing nicely, its obvious I'm pregnant now so I'm going around doing the "International Pregnant Woman Stance" as my friend calls it, both hands on back, belly stuck out even more :)

I am not sure how it will or won't work with the feeds but I will only ever have to be sitting in the class for 3 hours at a time si planning ti express milk just in case the little one needs a feed before I get home :-) I guess am not thinking overtime about this since it's my second one and I know the baby can work around me from time to time rather than me working around the baby all the time;-) And if it does not work for us than I will just defer module or two rather than the whole year:-)
    Am feeling moves too but remember with my first baby they were much stronger at this stage so thinking this may be baby girl;-) Just cant wait to find out in two weeks time !:-)

Hope everyone is doing well in this hot humid weather as I feel I need nap every day around 4pm:-)

Anyone else experiencing numbness in their upper (left) leg?
    It feels like pins and needles on my thigh and I usually have it for a few mins when I wake up in the morning and then occasionally it flares up again in the evenings. Its not sore or anything, it just feels a bit weird and has only been happening since I've been pregnant.

It feels like pins and needles on my thigh and I usually have it for a few mins when I wake up in the morning and then occasionally it flares up again in the evenings. Its not sore or anything, it just feels a bit weird and has only been happening since I've been pregnant.

No numbness but I have been getting almost nightly foot cramps!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Hi how is everyone doing? I haven't been on in ages between the heat and dd constantly on the go I'm exhausted!!

Always number 1, I got something similar with dd it was generally first thing in the morning for a few minutes, doctor said it was pressure on nerves. Maybe just mention it at your next appointment?
    Hope everyone is keeping well :)

• Advertisement

closifer wrote: »
    No numbness but I have been getting almost nightly foot cramps!

Hey there! I haven't had numbness like AlwaysNumber1 but like closifer I have been having cramps. Really bad ones at night, nearly screaming with pain. I did get them occasionally before being pregnant, so its not that it is entirely new, but what is concerning me is that the 'cramp' the actual pinching in the calf is lasting ages, as in a few days. I'm also getting circulation problems, as in when I wake up its like I have a dead arm, as if I were lying on it all night, when I wasn't at all. Possibly it is due to the increased blood flow due to being pregnant. I'm back at the hospital on Monday so I'll see what they say. In the mean time I have been trying to elevate my legs as much as possible and massage the calves. Terrified I'll end up with a load of varicose veins! :eek:

Hey there! I haven't had numbness like AlwaysNumber1 but like closifer I have been having cramps. Really bad ones at night, nearly screaming with pain. I did get them occasionally before being pregnant, so its not that it is entirely new, but what is concerning me is that the 'cramp' the actual pinching in the calf is lasting ages, as in a few days. I'm also getting circulation problems, as in when I wake up its like I have a dead arm, as if I were lying on it all night, when I wasn't at all. Possibly it is due to the increased blood flow due to being pregnant. I'm back at the hospital on Monday so I'll see what they say. In the mean time I have been trying to elevate my legs as much as possible and massage the calves. Terrified I'll end up with a load of varicose veins! :eek:

Aww you poor thing! I too am scared of the dreaded varicose veins - especially as my legs are the only things that still look relatively normal and uninflated at present :)

On another note - has everyone started baby shopping?!! I am nearly 21 weeks but Im not having my next scan until sep 10th so it will be a bit of a wait finding out of its a boy or a girl. I think im running out of unisex items to buy :)

No numbness here, just mad swelling in my feet causing unbearable itchiness. Can only calm it by soaking in cold water.

Had anomaly scan this morning, all's good and got another picture of the face, looks like Fidel Castro wearing sunglasses smoking a cigar :) I haven't bought much yet, the doctor asked if we wanted to know the sex today and I nearly said yes but managed to control myself as my partner really doesn't want to know. I was just worrying that when the babies born we won't have enough clothes to put on him/her and I'll have to go shopping just after giving birth. I think I'll just tag a load of stuff on next website and sent the oh in to pick up when we know what's needed. Don't want to be trailing around shops two weeks before christmas, after giving birth and being hormonal with a tiny new baby!

Hi again guys,
    I'm 18 weeks on Friday and have my next scan on August 16th (at 21 weeks) followed by check up on 22nd of August (at almost 22 weeks) I'm doing combined care (public patient) when should I be going back to my GP?
    Anyone any advice/suggestions?
    Thanks x

Hi again guys,
    I'm 18 weeks on Friday and have my next scan on August 16th (at 21 weeks) followed by check up on 22nd of August (at almost 22 weeks) I'm doing combined care (public patient) when should I be going back to my GP?
    Anyone any advice/suggestions?
    Thanks x

Hi always number 1,
    I'm combined care aswel, my appointments alternate between hospital and gp every 4 weeks and from 28 weeks I'll have appointments every 2 weeks (this is also due to complications during my first pregnancy). Did you get info pack from midwife at your booking appointment? I think there is a leaflet in it with when you have appointments.
    Hth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭beltzar

Morning ladies,
    Anyone having wrist problems?.
    I'm only 20 weeks and the last 2mornings when I wake up I can't fully curl the fingers on my left hand or fully rotate my left wrist.
    When I Google it, Google suggests it might be Carple tunnel syndrome.
    Anyone else had this? I'm back with my go next week and will bring it up with her then.
    Just curious if other ladies are having it so soon in the pregnancy.
    Thanks

never heard of their being a link between carpal tunnel syndrome and pregnancy, but just googled it and hey, you learn something new every day! lol

Hope you feel better soon beltzar.

Perhaps some gentle exercises to flex the ligaments and some gentle massage of the wrists might help to circulate the fluid? might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Fairie wrote: »
    Hi always number 1,
    I'm combined care aswel, my appointments alternate between hospital and gp every 4 weeks and from 28 weeks I'll have appointments every 2 weeks (this is also due to complications during my first pregnancy). Did you get info pack from midwife at your booking appointment? I think there is a leaflet in it with when you have appointments.
    Hth :)

Hello all! hope you are all well :) I am combined care with the Domino scheme...so I split appointments with Holles St (for scans) and then between midwife at Domino and midwife at my G.P office. I had first check up yesterday with G.P/midwife and got to hear the little heartbeat - so lovely! The whole thing just amazes me, I don't think I have fully got my head around being pregnant! It was a relief as have had a really busy few weeks of late and as the sickess has eased (I am 19 weeks on Friday) I kind of feel normal (ish!) again and could easily forget I was pregnant so it was lovely to hear the heartbeat and know everything is ok.

I have my 20week scan (at 22 weeks) Aug 13th so I can't wait for that! The scans can't come around quick enough! i think you are meant to have an appt every 4 weeks so was told after leaving Holles st for my booking appt to make an appt with my GP. In between this I changed to the Domino scheme so now am booked in to see them a week after my next scan. I think after each appt they remind you to book a G.P or midwife appt - I think!

Feeling so much better not having the evening sickness I was experiencing, the only thing I am finding at the moment is feeling it a little harder to take a deep breath, it feels kind of restricted or something - I thought my bra was too tight at first but bought new ones (have gone up 3 bra sizes already!! think am going to be spending a small fortune on bra's) so have one that fits but I think I remember reading something about your diaphragm moving/working differently in pregnancy or something?! And also apart from that just general tiredness! Just feel so glad the sickness is gone though I can put up with the tiredness!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kidcummins

Hi ladies hope ye are all well? Wearing maternity pants for the 1st time today (WOW they are comfy) Just looking for some advice regarding pilates and yoga I've never done either but would like to do a pregnancy course. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two disciplines so I can decide which would suit me? I appreciate all feedback

• Advertisement

kidcummins wrote: »
    Hi ladies hope ye are all well? Wearing maternity pants for the 1st time today (WOW they are comfy) Just looking for some advice regarding pilates and yoga I've never done either but would like to do a pregnancy course. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two disciplines so I can decide which would suit me? I appreciate all feedback

Hi kidcummins, aren't the maternity pants so comfy I live in mine!! I did pilates on first pregnancy and started them again the other day I find them great. I'm not sure what the difference between the two is but the pilates involves gentle exercises (on stomach, back and pelvic floor areas) and works on breathing, I would think pregnancy yoga would be similar enough?

Advertisement