Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very low pre-accident value of my car

Options
  • 20-04-2013 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello,

I am having a small problem. Over week ago my car was hit by another car. It wasn't my fault all together and the other driver admit this. His car was insured by ZURICH. In my car 2 doors and wing mirror was damaged I got quotation from one garage for 1600 euro to fix it. I bought my car last year for 3500. It is 04 Nissan primera 1.6l. Last Friday i got a letter from ZURICH saying: "our motor engineer has placed a per-accident value on your vehicle of €1698.57 euro.
    It is not even half of what I paid last year!!! They are offering me the money as they say it will cost too much to fix it!

What can I do in this case??? I wont be able to buy any car for 1698 euro ! My car is in perfect technical condition just passed the NCT test 3 mounts ago. I want them to fix it and they can keep the money!

Please advice

Raf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

They're offering you more than what you've been told it will cost to fix it.
    Why don't you just get it fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 zarat80

They will give me the money if I WRITE OFF the car!!! So I will be left with no car and 1700 euro in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Take the money. Buy it back of the insurance company as it is only an economical write off. Get two doors down the scrap yard and a wing mirror.

alright, but I shouldn't be forced to do this. It wasn't my fault. Why do I have to look for 2nd hand parts in this case? They valuation is a Joke - that is the problem here

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Primera/1.6-Visi/201313214126223/advert?channel=C

Fight their valuation. Get numerous examples of similar cars for 3-4 k online.

• Advertisement

zarat80 wrote: »
    alright, but I shouldn't be forced to do this. It wasn't my fault. Why do I have to look for 2nd hand parts in this case? They valuation is a Joke - that is the problem here

You dont have to go down the 2nd hand route but the cost of two new doors plus respray would cost the guts of your insurance money. You can easily get a colour match from 2nd hand parts.

Primera are not making much nowadays to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Take the money. Buy it back of the insurance company as it is only an economical write off. Get two doors down the scrap yard and a wing mirror.

Wrong. The crowd buying the write offs are paying serious money for them. You are offered the car at whatever they are willing to pay. My panel beater hasn't been able to buy a write off in years as they are making so much. My wifes car made 50% more than we taught it was worth. Best thing you can do is refuse the
    Offer send in donedeal ads and carzone adds and any other proof you had and dont give in too easy

st1979 wrote: »
    Wrong. The crowd buying the write offs are paying serious money for them. You are offered the car at whatever they are willing to pay. My panel beater hasn't been able to buy a write off in years as they are making so much. My wifes car made 50% more than we taught it was worth. Best thing you can do is refuse the
    Offer send in donedeal ads and carzone adds and any other proof you had and dont give in too easy

Im only talking from experiance. Ive been able to do this on three ocassions, my previous car, my sisters car, and also my mother in laws car. All three turned a nice profit for them and myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

zarat80 wrote: »
    Hello,

I am having a small problem. Over week ago my car was hit by another car. It wasn't my fault all together and the other driver admit this. His car was insured by ZURICH. In my car 2 doors and wing mirror was damaged I got quotation from one garage for 1600 euro to fix it. I bought my car last year for 3500. It is 04 Nissan primera 1.6l. Last Friday i got a letter from ZURICH saying: "our motor engineer has placed a per-accident value on your vehicle of €1698.57 euro.
    It is not even half of what I paid last year!!! They are offering me the money as they say it will cost too much to fix it!

What can I do in this case??? I wont be able to buy any car for 1698 euro ! My car is in perfect technical condition just passed the NCT test 3 mounts ago. I want them to fix it and they can keep the money!

Please advice

Why dont you call them you dont have to except their valuation. Then when your on the phone say you feel a stiff neck coming on , see what they say then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

OP what they've offered you is what's called the "book" or trade value of the car - which is different (and generally much lower) than the retail price you paid.

However, if the accident wasn't your fault and both insurers have accepted this, then you will need to fight this if you're not happy with their offer (I've been there, done that).

Your argument to them (Zurich) will be that their customer was at fault, they've accepted that and so their job now is to get you back on the road in the position you were before the accident - ie: with an undamaged car and not €1500 (or any amount) out of pocket.

They will resist this but be firm and very polite. Have copies of any service history, the NCT report, and copies of ads of other cars of the same age/spec/model ready to back up your case (you can get these from Carzone and the likes)

It took me 3 weeks of chasing them every other day by phone but in the end I got a cheque for exactly what I paid 6 months previously.

Also consider chasing them for the cost of a rental car while they sort this out seeing as this wasn't your fault and you're the one being inconvenienced now.

Good luck :)

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    OP what they've offered you is what's called the "book" or trade value of the car - which is different (and generally much lower) than the retail price you paid.

However, if the accident wasn't your fault and both insurers have accepted this, then you will need to fight this if you're not happy with their offer (I've been there, done that).

Your argument to them (Zurich) will be that their customer was at fault, they've accepted that and so their job now is to get you back on the road in the position you were before the accident - ie: with an undamaged car and not €1500 (or any amount) out of pocket.

They will resist this but be firm and very polite. Have copies of any service history, the NCT report, and copies of ads of other cars of the same age/spec/model ready to back up your case (you can get these from Carzone and the likes)

It took me 3 weeks of chasing them every other day by phone but in the end I got a cheque for exactly what I paid 6 months previously.

Also consider chasing them for the cost of a rental car while they sort this out seeing as this wasn't your fault and you're the one being inconvenienced now.

Good luck :)

Thanks for this. I sent them an e-mail yesterday + registered letter today.
    I said that this is the only car I have and I need it for everyday usage etc.
    I have attached lot of ads from Internet of the same car , same age priced 3000-4200 euro. NCT report with all the details saying the the car is in perfect shape. We will see .

Ps . they gave me 2013 nissan qashqai as replacement car so I am ok for now

Advertisement