Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Super Garden 2013.....

• 20-04-2013 6:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

.....is back on TV from next Thursday at 8:30pm on RTE 1.

5 different garden designs to be completed in under 4 weeks,with a budget of 5000 euro for each garden.All the plants/flowers used are supplied by Woodies.

The winner goes on to display their garden creation at Bloom 2013.:)

http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/super_garden.html

The winner of SUPER GARDEN will be announced on the sixth and final episode of the series, when all the designers and judges and mentors meet in the more convivial atmosphere of Powerscourt House & Gardens. The prize will be awarded to the contestant voted SUPER GARDEN designer 2013, and with it the life-changing opportunity to re-create their design at the prestigious Bloom 2013 and take a big step forward into the world of professional garden design. Each garden designer is working on a real garden - they are given a specific brief and budget and must design a garden to the home owners' specifications. All 5 have been given similar size gardens to work with, but each with a very different brief:

• A Fire Garden (Dublin) - the owners of this property want a space which is both relaxing, exciting and child friendly, but designer Oisin Griffin has plans for a fire theme that will impress, adorned with bold steel structures.

• A Beach Garden (Galway) - the owners want to rescue their chaotic corner site garden and turn it into a pleasant and welcoming space in time for their wedding later this year, so designer Nathan Nokes wants to create a Home by the Sea theme.

• A Romantic Senses Garden (Limerick) - The couple who own this house are looking for a garden that's low maintenance, contemporary and classical, so designer Lisa McKnight plans to impress with an architecturally impressive combination of garden rooms, complete with romantic planting and furnishings.

• A Farm to Fork Dining Room Garden (Kildare) - This young couple wants a garden that will entice them into it with areas to grow vegetables and fruit. Designer Amelia Raben wants to create 2 rooms, a kitchen (for vegetables) and an outdoor Mediterranean dining room.

• A Contemporary Chinese Garden (Monaghan) - The client wants a 'Low' maintenance garden that she can impress her friends and family with, so designer Declan McKenna plans to build a Chinese themed space complete with rivers, tea house and moon gate.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Just a heads up on this.

Starts tonight at 8:30pm on RTE 1.

So what did everyone think of the Fire Garden??

Lots of hard landscaping and sculpture work,lots of turf lawn and black limestone paving area,but not too much in the way of actual planting or plant variety.
    Hardly any planting schemes actually.....as he has admitted himself and the judges said to him.

Dogwoods grow big and he has planted alot of them.

Cant see those wavey fire sculptures lasting too long in any sort of windy conditions.

But its certainly a different garden style though.

On a side note........

I also think that the 5 garden designers should be allowed to source their plants from anywhere they like,and not just from Woodies.

There would be many a garden centre or nursery that would stock plants and flowers that Woodies wouldnt stock.

So maybe that can be allowed to happen for Super Garden 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Thanks for the reminder Paddy.
    Watched tonights show. Interesting design but like most of these programmes I wouldn't think it's practical in the long term. Very often it can point the way to what not to do, but it can give some nice ideas.
    The work and effort put in by the designers, family, friends etc is very impressive and commendable.
    I suppose if Woodies are sponsoring the competition then they would expect some "payback" but I would not like to have my own garden stocked only with the plants they sell. The choice is often limited enough - at least in the Tralee branch -- other, bigger ones, may be different.

Generally the owners seem pleased with the end result -- and I suppose that's the most important thing :)

Looking forward to next weeks show with the beach hut/ship design. Have had a hankering for a little hideaway like that since I was a lad.

lottpaul wrote: »
    Thanks for the reminder Paddy.
    Watched tonights show. Interesting design but like most of these programmes I wouldn't think it's practical in the long term. Very often it can point the way to what not to do, but it can give some nice ideas.
    The work and effort put in by the designers, family, friends etc is very impressive and commendable.
    I suppose if Woodies are sponsoring the competition then they would expect some "payback" but I would not like to have my own garden stocked only with the plants they sell. The choice is often limited enough - at least in the Tralee branch -- other, bigger ones, may be different.

Generally the owners seem pleased with the end result -- and I suppose that's the most important thing :)

Looking forward to next weeks show with the beach hut/ship design. Have had a hankering for a little hideaway like that since I was a lad.

Fair play to the lad for working away on his own in the lashing snow.Looks like his helpers had legged it at that stage..:pac:

It would be nice to open it up to non woodies plant and flower ranges though...but yep,Woodies will only want their plants used...which can be rather limiting.

It would also be nice to do a "follow up programme" on the various gardens and see how they are 12-18 months on and what they look like then.

Also how the home owners are maintaining them and what they think of their gardens.:)

Yeah,the beach hut/ship design garden seems like it will be an interesting one,judging by the few snipets shown from next weeks programme.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

paddy147 wrote: »

It would also be nice to do a "follow up programme" on the various gardens and see how they are 12-18 months on and what they look like then.

Also how the home owners are maintaining them and what they think of their gardens.:)

Very good point. I suspect the results might not be too encouraging :)

• Advertisement

lottpaul wrote: »
    Very good point. I suspect the results might not be too encouraging :)

Especially with regards pets and kids,and also general wear and tear...oh and the growth of the various plants/flowers/trees....:pac::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I liked his design overall but he seems like he should be designing nightclubs over gardens. What were those metal flame sculptures about? Really badly clashed with the whole thing, other than his waffle trying to justify their presence. I did like his overall look though.

Even if that garden goes into full bloom I can't help think the colours would clash with the colour palette he chose but hopefully not.

david75 wrote: »
    I liked his design overall but he seems like he should be designing nightclubs over gardens. What were those metal flame sculptures about? Really badly clashed with the whole thing, other than his waffle trying to justify their presence. I did like his overall look though.

Even if that garden goes into full bloom I can't help think the colours would clash with the colour palette he chose but hopefully not.

Well in fairness to him,he did say on camera that horticultural experience was and is where he lacked/lacks experience in.

His mentor and the judges also pulled him up over the lack of planting (1 judge called it very bland) and that there would be no colour for the rest of the year in the garden.

So based on all of that,I dont think that this garden will be going to Bloom this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If any of you think you can do better I volunteer my garden

ted1 wrote: »
    If any of you think you can do better I volunteer my garden

Do you want the 2 Super Garden judges around too???:pac::pac:

Did you see Super Garden last night?

Interesting to see and hear what the lads mentor and also the 2 judges had to say to him about the garden and its layout and planting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do you want the 2 Super Garden judges around too???:pac::pac:

Did you see Super Garden last night?

Interesting to see and hear what the lads mentor and also the 2 judges had to say to him about the garden and its layout and planting.
    We could do a boards garden!! Tie in with the food forum and they can organise a BBQ when were finished.

ted1 wrote: »
    We could do a boards garden!! Tie in with the food forum and they can organise a BBQ when were finished.

Dont forget the beer....:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Oisin Griffin

Hi all!

Oisin Griffin here, the designer from the first 2013 Super Garden episode.
    Many thanks for all your comments, I’m always open to all critiques as I try and take it all in a constructive manner. I feel that the editing of the show portrayed certain aspects of my super garden process in a contorted manner and on occasion a number of key points which I wished to get across were removed.

As I have seen in the last number of posts to the board my planting has been the central topic of conservation. Throughout the super garden process I was very conscious of how to go about creating a planting plan therefore I felt I had two options;

i) block plant highly visual planting and / or seasonal flowering planting that would look good on the day of judging but would not stand the test of time.
    or
    ii) to go for a horticultural sound and in-dept planting scheme which would consist of a high proportion of herbaceous / perennials. This would ultimately leave the garden looking bare for the show but in the summer would really blossom.

In order to create a balance and one I believed Paddy may appreciate I decided to have elements of both. Although the planting may have looked sparse on the show (the mulch also hide a lot of the twiggy hydrangea’s, etc.) I can guarantee that during the summer this garden will have wide spectrum of colour in addition to the textures of the various grass seed heads. After all the garden I created is not just for the day of judging but rather for the family to enjoy for years on end. During the show my numerous explanations of why I grouped plant groups together and how I viewed they would be maintained and evolve was edited out therefore I believe it is an unfair depiction of my horticultural skill set and my over all horticultural vision of the garden.

With regard to the sculptures I had primarily imagined them to travel through the garden in a vertical sense, almost like a birds nest or a ribbon but my budget would not allow this so I had to settle for the horizontal compromise. Also I hoped they would have a corten steal finish but again the budget didn’t allow! With regard to there durability in extreme weather conditions they will withstand what ever the Irish weather throws at them. That was a key concern thought out there construction and the foundations and overall structural integrity was over compensated for with additional reinforcing welding / etc.

In conclusion I took a chance with this design and fully understood that not everyone would like my design. I did not want to create the average garden with a patio at the door, with a lawn boarded by planting beds and an outside room. I wanted to somewhat break the mould and challenge the usual design boundaries, after all I’m a youthful designer and feel this is what garden designers should aspire to achieve!!!

All comments are more then welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Would you not be better off refraining from making any critical comment publicly about the programme/format and certainly not before the Judges have made their final decision known publicly?

IMO these type of programmes although popular with the public, generally create unrealistic expectations and more often than not conceal the shortcomings of inadequate project budgets etc.

Anyways, if you go to a disco don't expect live music.

Hi all!

Oisin Griffin here, the designer from the first 2013 Super Garden episode.
    Many thanks for all your comments, I’m always open to all critiques as I try and take it all in a constructive manner. I feel that the editing of the show portrayed certain aspects of my super garden process in a contorted manner and on occasion a number of key points which I wished to get across were removed.

As I have seen in the last number of posts to the board my planting has been the central topic of conservation. Throughout the super garden process I was very conscious of how to go about creating a planting plan therefore I felt I had two options;

i) block plant highly visual planting and / or seasonal flowering planting that would look good on the day of judging but would not stand the test of time.
    or
    ii) to go for a horticultural sound and in-dept planting scheme which would consist of a high proportion of herbaceous / perennials. This would ultimately leave the garden looking bare for the show but in the summer would really blossom.

In order to create a balance and one I believed Paddy may appreciate I decided to have elements of both. Although the planting may have looked sparse on the show (the mulch also hide a lot of the twiggy hydrangea’s, etc.) I can guarantee that during the summer this garden will have wide spectrum of colour in addition to the textures of the various grass seed heads. After all the garden I created is not just for the day of judging but rather for the family to enjoy for years on end. During the show my numerous explanations of why I grouped plant groups together and how I viewed they would be maintained and evolve was edited out therefore I believe it is an unfair depiction of my horticultural skill set and my over all horticultural vision of the garden.

With regard to the sculptures I had primarily imagined them to travel through the garden in a vertical sense, almost like a birds nest or a ribbon but my budget would not allow this so I had to settle for the horizontal compromise. Also I hoped they would have a corten steal finish but again the budget didn’t allow! With regard to there durability in extreme weather conditions they will withstand what ever the Irish weather throws at them. That was a key concern thought out there construction and the foundations and overall structural integrity was over compensated for with additional reinforcing welding / etc.

In conclusion I took a chance with this design and fully understood that not everyone would like my design. I did not want to create the average garden with a patio at the door, with a lawn boarded by planting beds and an outside room. I wanted to somewhat break the mould and challenge the usual design boundaries, after all I’m a youthful designer and feel this is what garden designers should aspire to achieve!!!

All comments are more then welcome and also please check out myself and Jonathans company web page ***** & ***** Landscape Architecture ***** contact us at ****

Hi Oisin,wellcome along.:)

Can I ask you this...

Do you as a contestant get to see the other 4 other locations/finished gardens before the show goes to air??

Or do you only get the see the other finished gardens when Supergarden is on the TV?

Allways wondered about that.

Yeah, back seat moderating is also against the rules!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Would you not be better off refraining from making any critical comment publicly about the programme/format and certainly not before the Judges have made their final decision known publicly?

IMO these type of programmes although popular with the public, generally create unrealistic expectations and more often than not conceal the shortcomings of inadequate project budgets etc.

Anyways, if you go to a disco don't expect live music.

Showing your age now Sonnenblumen, no one goes to discos since the 70's! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i'd be surprised if the contestants were not told to refrain from discussing the programmes until the show has completed airing.

Showing your age now Sonnenblumen, no one goes to discos since the 70's! :P

Big 80's revival going on for the last 20+ years:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Fair play Oisin. Just watched on rte player. I think that garden will really come into its own as it matures. The galvanise will also mellow as time goes on

If you were to continue the fire theme for future projects, maybe have a look at cesar manrique, an artist and architect from Lanzarote. He developed a lot of his ideas from the volcanic eruption that occurred there in the 19th century.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Would anyone have a link so I can see all of last years gardens ?
    I want I have a look a Tims garden.

Well I had a nice chat with the Super Garden 2013 winner at Bloom this morning.

All I will say is that its a very worthy garden winner and its very beautifull indeed,especially when seen in the flesh/daylight.

Well done to all involved and the show winner.:)

Oh,and I took lots of pics over at Bloom this morning,but I dont want to spoil it for others,until Bloom opens to the public this Thursday.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i liked the guys japanese garden. the one with the bridge and the big pond. he got upset when they reviewed it. last weeks garden with the blue trellis was minging. i havent seen the firet garden or the beach ones yet.

i liked the guys japanese garden. the one with the bridge and the big pond. he got upset when they reviewed it. last weeks garden with the blue trellis was minging. i havent seen the firet garden or the beach ones yet.

Well this years winning garden is very nice and a worthy winner.

Looked stunning this morning over at Bloom,in the shade and then when the sun came out.

Had a nice chat with the winner and that particular person was very happy with it.:)

Well this years winning garden is very nice and a worthy winner.

Looked stunning this morning over at Bloom,in the shade and then when the sun came out.

Had a nice chat with the winner and that particular person was very happy with it.:)

pm me the winner

pm me the winner

Is the suspense killing you???:D

Bloom 2013 opens to the public this Thursday morning ...so only 2 days to go.:)

Or you can wait till 8:30pm on Thursday night and watch the final Super Garden programme on RTE1,where they announce the winner.

any free day passes paddy?

I was only there yesterday to have a chat with a freind of ours who is planting/working in there at the moment.:)

I dont work for Bloom or have anything to do with them....some people seem to think I do though.:pac::D

Nope,but I,ll give you another little sneaky peaky at this years Bloom though.:D

RTE camera crews doing their rounds yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

That was my favourite too, loved the water feature. The poor guy look exhausted when it was finished, I'd imagine it was all very overwhelming.

Advertisement