Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Super Garden 2013.....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

paddy147 wrote: »
    Nope,but I,ll give you another little sneaky peaky at this years Bloom though.:D

RTE camera crews doing their rounds yesterday.

Funny that my next garden project is a pergola. should be able to make a decent one for less than 150. looks great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Funny that my next garden project is a pergola. should be able to make a decent one for less than 150. looks great

There is some absolutely beautifull Pergola creations at Bloom this year.

One particular display garden and structure makes great use of old scaffold boards from building sites.Its an eco garden for growing veg and catching/harvesting rainwater.

Scaffold boards sanded right back down,then oiled and used to great effect.:)

I had a good chat with the gardens designer/creator,and she was telling me about how they went to all the building sites and hire shops and collected around 200 scaffold boards to create the garden.

what length is a standard scaffold board?

what length is a standard scaffold board?

2.4 meters or just on 8 feet long.

2 inches thick and around 9 inches wide.

Scaffold board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Chap at out allotments built a beautifiul shed from sanded and varnished scaffold boards (and pricey slate). The boards came out fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

What are pergolas originally for? Are they just to give a garden more of a 3D effect? I'm really warming to them anyway

What are pergolas originally for? Are they just to give a garden more of a 3D effect? I'm really warming to them anyway

They were used to cover walkways in renaissance times and then also used to grow train climbers and trees/roses/vines up and over them.:)

Seen as Bloom 2013 is now open to the public.................

This winner of Super Garden 2013 is this garden creation.

Took this pic on Tuesday morning at Bloom,and had a quick chat with the gardens creator/designer.She was delighted to win.:)

And this time the water trough wasnt leaking and had water in it...:pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Lovely garden and a worthy winner, but to be fair, all the gardens this year had elements that I really liked.

• Advertisement

Heres the scaffold plank/eco garden.

Simple yet lovely.:)

thats deadly. if nothing else bloom gives you great ideas for designing your own garden. my biggest issue is cost. i reckon i'd need about 2k minumum to do some of the ideas i have seen here. i would love to build a natural stone raised bed along one side but the costs are super high. anyone know where you can get nice cheap stone?

thats deadly. if nothing else bloom gives you great ideas for designing your own garden. my biggest issue is cost. i reckon i'd need about 2k minumum to do some of the ideas i have seen here. i would love to build a natural stone raised bed along one side but the costs are super high. anyone know where you can get nice cheap stone?

Did you ever take a trip down the road to Kilsaran and their display gardens in Clonee??

Lovely place to visit and full of ideas.

Grab a free cuppa tea or coffee and go for a walk around.:)

Did you ever take a trip down the road to Kilsaran and their display gardens in Clonee??

Lovely place to visit and full of ideas.

Grab a free cuppa tea or coffee and go for a walk around.:)

Funny you should mention that. i live 5 minutes away from there and have been in plantagen lots. i dont rate plantagen at all by the way. just sometimes go there just for a browse. anyhoo i have never been in the kilsaran place even though you have to drive right past the entrance for plantagen. i will take a look this weekend. i am going to give bloom a miss this year. first time in 4 years. ah well. i heard you can get in for free if you arrive at 5 o clock. i may try that.

Funny you should mention that. i live 5 minutes away from there and have been in plantagen lots. i dont rate plantagen at all by the way. just sometimes go there just for a browse. anyhoo i have never been in the kilsaran place even though you have to drive right past the entrance for plantagen. i will take a look this weekend. i am going to give bloom a miss this year. first time in 4 years. ah well. i heard you can get in for free if you arrive at 5 o clock. i may try that.

Well if nothing else,it might give you a few ideas and a nice stroll around the place..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Heres the scaffold plank/eco garden.

Simple yet lovely.:)

Love it. What sort of a sander could I get away with using on boards to get a nice effect do you think? Cheap being the main thing I have in mind :)

how come paddy isnt a mod yet or did you turn it down?

redser7 wrote: »
    Love it. What sort of a sander could I get away with using on boards to get a nice effect do you think? Cheap being the main thing I have in mind :)

I was speaking to the young lady who designed it and who was planting it up on Tuesday morning.

She said that they used belt sanders and various grades of sand paper to get right down to the fine/bare wood.

Many hours of sanding she said.

The sails above catch the rainwater and send it down to 2 metal troughs on each side of the garden.:)

how come paddy isnt a mod yet or did you turn it down?

I tend to "debate things" alot....:pac:

Close up pic of the scaffold plank/eco garden.

And the fantastic walled kitchen garden and new orchard.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

Well worthy winner this year, definitely looked a €5000 garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I fekkin' wish that Paddy fella would stop sneaking around my house taking photos.

:D

prospect wrote: »
    I fekkin' wish that Paddy fella would stop sneaking around my house taking photos.

:D

:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lisamck

Saw him seeking around my supergarden at Bloom that Thursday morning! Alot!!!! Lisa McKnight's silver medal winning garden was designed for visitors:D

lisamck wrote: »
    Saw him seeking around my supergarden at Bloom that Thursday morning! Alot!!!! Lisa McKnight's silver medal winning garden was designed for visitors:D

Congratts again.:)

We were back over on the Monday.

Fair play for the Q&A session with all the visitors and garden admirers,especially in that baking hot sunshine.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

I love all the photos Paddy, where abouts in the park do they hold that garden show. I haven't been to the park in years. looks lovely.Keep the photos coming.:)

kynzvart wrote: »
    I love all the photos Paddy, where abouts in the park do they hold that garden show. I haven't been to the park in years. looks lovely.Keep the photos coming.:)

Just to the side of the walled kitchen gardens and Ashtown Castle.

We also got up close-ish to the deer too,while in the Park..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Daavid

Howdy - I'm looking for a specific episode of Super Garden from the 2010 season. Does anyone know where I could get it?

Thanks
    Dave

Advertisement