Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Food Festival

Options
  • 20-04-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone attend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Didn't attend (working in town). Took me 30 minutes to drive along the quay. Huge crowd, so I hope a great success to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Was down there at around 1pm but there was a sign on the door saying that they didn't open until 2pm, so I went for a wander around the town, bought a few bits and pieces I didn't need, came back around 2:10 pm and the doors still weren't open.

There was a huge crowd outside so I figured there would be a massive push when they did open, and given the crowd looked bigger than the marquee, I didn't fancy waiting any longer and not being able to move around the stalls, so I went home :(

There was a nice atmosphere on the quays though, helped by the weather, but given the crowds when I was there even at 1pm I think people expected it to be kicking off earlier.

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Was down there at around 1pm but there was a sign on the door saying that they didn't open until 2pm, so I went for a wander around the town, bought a few bits and pieces I didn't need, came back around 2:10 pm and the doors still weren't open.
    That's not good enough. Why is it so hard to get for people to get the basics right? Times are tough and, if you're given the chance to do business, the onus is on the trader t get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

oldyouth wrote: »
    That's not good enough. Why is it so hard to get for people to get the basics right? Times are tough and, if you're given the chance to do business, the onus is on the trader t get it right

That's what I thought, was wondering if I was being a bit harsh, but I was there planning to support local businesses but didn't succeed.
    I had even hoped I would buy something from one of the stalls for dinner, but ended up having to go to Tesco on way home!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29 trevr

Was down there at 5ish. Still a big crowd around. All the exhibitors were delighted with the day. Many were nearly sold out of produce. Overall, appears to have been a big success.

• Advertisement

trevr wrote: »
    Was down there at 5ish. Still a big crowd around. All the exhibitors were delighted with the day. Many were nearly sold out of produce. Overall, appears to have been a big success.

If that's the case, I'm thrilled for all concerned, really I am. However, a chance like this can be lost through lack of attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

I was walking along the quay around 12.15 and there were people seated inside the tent and also outside eating burgers. I did also see a camera crew up near the bridge filming the scene so maybe it was a setup for the tv show that's featuring the festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

kmurph wrote: »
    I was walking along the quay around 12.15 and there were people seated inside the tent and also outside eating burgers. I did also see a camera crew up near the bridge filming the scene so maybe it was a setup for the tv show that's featuring the festival?

Thats the local Highwind film crowd they film short videos of some events. http://www.highwindfilms.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 29 trevr

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Thats the local Highwind film crowd they film short videos of some events. http://www.highwindfilms.ie/

RTE were filming for the 'Local Heroes' series to be aired soon. The buffet dinner at 12.30 was an invite only event mainly for the food producers and prospective buyers in the trade as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Yeah I attended. Was really impressed by the Wexford Thai Food Company (I think that's what they are called) and they had a nice satay on show which I immediately bought after tasting. Really good.

Also tried the ice cream which was also delicious.

It was absolutely packed inside but too many people with buggies taking up with the whole tent so there was a fair bit of pushing and shoving.

Didn't get a burger :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Personally I was a bit disappointed...

Everything crammed into a small space... it was claustrophobic, people on top of each other trying to grab samples or get served.

Other than Atlantic, who weren't plugging fresh fish, nothing highlighting the fishing industry.

The variety of foods on offer was a bit lacking in my opinion too. It was a bit predictable.

I stayed no more than 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Personally I was a bit disappointed...

Everything crammed into a small space... it was claustrophobic, people on top of each other trying to grab samples or get served.

Other than Atlantic, who weren't plugging fresh fish, nothing highlighting the fishing industry.

The variety of foods on offer was a bit lacking in my opinion too. It was a bit predictable.

I stayed no more than 10 minutes.

Don't know why they didn't run it from 10.00 - 18.00 to alleviate the problem of squishing !

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Mmm maybe they didn't accepted such a big turn out?
    I mean if it would have been raining, which is not quite uncommon for Ireland, the turnout would have been far less.
    It was the First Food Festival in Wexford and I am sure due to the success it will be bigger and better next year.

SusanneKn wrote: »
    Mmm maybe they didn't accepted such a big turn out?
    I mean if it would have been raining, which is not quite uncommon for Ireland, the turnout would have been far less.
    It was the First Food Festival in Wexford and I am sure due to the success it will be bigger and better next year.

You should always be expecting a big turn out, better to expect more than less.

They set the tent up on the Wednesday and knew by then what the forecast would be - plenty of time to provide for large crowds methinks.

There has been plenty of food festivals in Wexford before.

For example, this one http://www.wexfordfoodfestival.ie/ is in it's 5th year

Looking forward to that one - a full weekend of eating ! Yay ! And some Welsh treats to be tried this year too !

• Registered Users Posts: 11 little.midget

I attended. I was there shortly after 2, I got the burger (which the queue was massive for I might add). I have to agree with Griffin1988 way too many buggies inside the tent. Wexford Cheddar were giving out samples of cheese and selling blocks of red and white cheddar for €1 each and giving you one of those reusable shopping bags with each purchase. Oh and I also one of those white plastic watches with a Wexford logo on it too :)
    I also have to agree that the Thai Food Company satay sauce was yum, I bought a few jars - but haven't attempted cooking with it yet.
    I liked the concept of the day, it was nice to see sample local produce and support local suppliers and it brought a nice buzz to the town :)

Wexford Food Festival this weekend, hoping to get to it...

http://www.wexfordfoodfestival.ie/

Hoping they have €1 blocks of cheddar again !,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Great event last year. Nice to see the local food producers out in force but I have to say I had some great banter with some of the Welsh visitors. Delighted to read they will back. I hope the weather co-operates!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

vicwatson wrote: »
    Wexford Food Festival this weekend, hoping to get to it...

http://www.wexfordfoodfestival.ie/

Hoping they have €1 blocks of cheddar again !,

Didn't think it was as good as previous years. Lots of street food stands serving lovely food but not enough stands with produce for sale. Was also a lack of local stands (IMO)

I liked the trout caviar from Thomastown I think-Was really different.

I missed the Italian stand from last year. They had some amazing balsamic.

And no cheddar this year, I'd even made a space in the freezer :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Too many burger/crepe vans in my opinion.

Should be promoting as much local produce & not half fast food joints.

Advertisement