Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brown to ginger hair

• 20-04-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I'm looking for some advice on dyeing my hair. At the mo I've sort of medium brown hair, something like this (just pulled a random pic from google images)

Rachel_bilson_100.jpeg

But I'd really like to go ginger for a bit of a change! Something sort of like this, for example

Hendricks-477jpg1.jpg

I don't know what the best way to go about this would be, though. I've dyed my hair at home before but I've only ever used semis in colours pretty close to what I have anyway. I've never gone for such a drastic change before, so I'd be wary of doing it at home. I'm thinking I'll probably go to a salon, but would they even be able to change it so drastically? I don't want to fry my hair in the process, just feeling like a fun change. Any opinions/experiences welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

My natural colour is dark brown and I get it dyed ginger. It looks exactly like the pic you posted. I go to the salon every six weeks. The colour fades out something terrible, but when it's freshly done it looks amazing.

When I first got it done, it didn't turn out like that. It was like a red tint under the light, but each time it faded out and I got it coloured again it gradually got more vibrant so I didn't need to bleach it to get that striking ginger colour. I then got very adventurous and allowed my hairdresser to put the most coppery colour possible on. She puts normal dye in (sorry I don't know what shade !) and she puts an extra shot of copper in too.

I actually have photos of my hair colour on my blog here - http://ziegfeldgirlbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/freshly-dyed-hair.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Hey thanks for replying, great to hear that it can be done! :) Your hair is gorgeous, that's exactly the kind of shade I'd love to achieve! So you were able to get to that colour gradually without using any bleach at all? That's great, because I wouldn't be keen on bleaching my hair. I'll definitely be popping along to the hairdressers soon to see what they think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

My natural colour is dark brown and I get it dyed ginger. It looks exactly like the pic you posted. I go to the salon every six weeks. The colour fades out something terrible, but when it's freshly done it looks amazing.

When I first got it done, it didn't turn out like that. It was like a red tint under the light, but each time it faded out and I got it coloured again it gradually got more vibrant so I didn't need to bleach it to get that striking ginger colour. I then got very adventurous and allowed my hairdresser to put the most coppery colour possible on. She puts normal dye in (sorry I don't know what shade !) and she puts an extra shot of copper in too.

I actually have photos of my hair colour on my blog here - http://ziegfeldgirlbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/freshly-dyed-hair.html

Love your hair colour, it's beautiful...seriously considering changing my hair colour after seeing this.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I have naturally dark brown hair too and I had to bleach my hair to go ginger (I'm brunette again now!) So every six weeks I had to bleach my roots and then dye it all ginger. It definitely did fry my hair, it's just as damaging as being blonde. It's very reassuring that Ziegfieldgirl27 was able to achieve the colour over time without bleach, so definitely go to a salon and try to do that. Don't get impatient and bleach, you'll regret it :P :)

Thank you everyone, i am glad I could help! Just tell your hairdresser to make your hair as ginger as possible! :D

• Advertisement

Yeah I'll definitely go with doing it gradually if it can be done to such a good effect! :) Just one quick Q for you Ziegfeld girl, you say that at first your hair just had a red tint to it when you got it done. Was that a different colour you had put in at first, and then you decided to get it more coppery? Or was it just that it didn't take very well the first time? :)

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Yeah I'll definitely go with doing it gradually if it can be done to such a good effect! :) Just one quick Q for you Ziegfeld girl, you say that at first your hair just had a red tint to it when you got it done. Was that a different colour you had put in at first, and then you decided to get it more coppery? Or was it just that it didn't take very well the first time? :)

It was both, it didn't take too well as my hair had never ever been dyed before, and also it was a slightly different colour. My original colour was more red than ginger. I had this done a couple of times, then I changed to the most copper colour available. Now I've been getting the copper for four years! I just love this colour.

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice! :) I'm so excited to get this done now, unfortunately I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can actually do it. If I can even get anything close to your colour I'd be thrilled!

You are so welcome, I am glad I can help. Please post back here and let us know how you get on!

I'm getting mine done again next week, I can't wait. i love when it's freshly done. You will find that the colour will fade a bit inbetween salon visits. I recommend using something like this - http://www.theindustrysource.com/kemon-liding-life-kroma-life-copper-5-1-oz.html - it will brighten up your colour if you notice it fading.

To be honest, my roots showing bothers me more than the colour fade!

I called in to the hairdressers today for a consultation about this, they said it can definitely be done without bleach, much the same way as how Ziegfeldgirl got her colour :) They said after each visit it should intensify so I'll be going down the route of getting it done gradually. I'll be getting the colour in next week, fingers crossed it goes to plan!

• Advertisement

Finally got this done yesterday and it was fairly successful! It's not the colour that I posted in the OP but I wasn't expecting it to be after the first time. I just got a sort of copper base over my existing colour, and with further visits I'll be lightening and intensifying it a bit more. I'm happy with the result even if it's not yet what I want, it turned out a lot more vibrant than I'd been expecting. No pics unfortunately as my camera's a bit on the blink!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Anastacy

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Finally got this done yesterday and it was fairly successful! It's not the colour that I posted in the OP but I wasn't expecting it to be after the first time. I just got a sort of copper base over my existing colour, and with further visits I'll be lightening and intensifying it a bit more. I'm happy with the result even if it's not yet what I want, it turned out a lot more vibrant than I'd been expecting. No pics unfortunately as my camera's a bit on the blink!

Hey, I'm planning on dyeing my hair from dark brown to ginger too. And I'm just wondering which salon did you go to and much did you paid for that? I tried doing it at home once and the result was absolutely horrible. I usually do my hair at House of Colour but I heard colouring might be quite expensive considering I've very long and thick hair. :(

Anastacy wrote: »
    Hey, I'm planning on dyeing my hair from dark brown to ginger too. And I'm just wondering which salon did you go to and much did you paid for that? I tried doing it at home once and the result was absolutely horrible. I usually do my hair at House of Colour but I heard colouring might be quite expensive considering I've very long and thick hair. :(

I always get my hair done in the Robert Chambers Academy on Liffey St (also on Grafton St) so I got the colour done there too. It's not everyone's cup of tea as they're students but it was €55 for a cut and colour and I was very happy with it. I've been keeping it up at home but I went a few times for initial colour and was happy each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Anastacy

WOW 55 for cut and colour? I pay 45 for a cut only! I'll defo go there, thanks!

Advertisement