Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Airtricity Bill. Any suggestions?

Options
  • 20-04-2013 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our recent Aitricity (Electricity and Gas for hob and heating/water) was €250 and we live in a 2 bedroom modern apartment. We rarely use the heating and we would only put the immersion on for hot water for about an hour a day. We don't leave anything on standby when not in use, we both work full time (not home til 7pm every evening) and we use the washing machine once or twice a week. We don't use the dryer or the dishwasher. We have a decent size fridge/freezer that is obviously on all the time as well as a chest freezer.

Our Jan/Feb bill was €180 and I was unemployed for the month of January and half of February therefore at home all day every day therefore using more electricity, so I cannot understand the sudden increase.

Any suggestions why the bill is so high? Can anyone recommend any other providers after being with Airtricity?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Were you billed on actual or estimated reads?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

It was estimated. We asked the caretaker to give us our meter reading after we received the bill so we could check it against the bill, and according to the meter reading, we actually consumed more electricity than estimated.

However, I am not sure I trust the reading the caretaker gave us (we don't have access to the meters and have to text the caretaker when we want a reading) because he gave us a gas meter reading of about 745 and the bill estimate reading was in the 2,000's!

So, I am really confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sovereign121

My last airtricity bill was €416 for feb and march, the gas was 190 & electricty was 226, saw that the electricity was an estimate, they estimated the electricity up by 100 from the previous bill, couldn't fathom it, they are def turning into scam artists, going to wait and see our next bill in june and if it is still high then its back to the good old reliables of the esb I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

recheck your last few bills to see is it long since a reading was taken/how many are estimates. I had a few estimated bills in a row all going up in price, meter man turned up just after the last bill arrived and I asked him what it read, I will be owed money back in my next bill there estimates were so ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Same thing happened to me this month. The gas estimate was by far our highest ever. Normally I don't mind them estimating, it's usually a little high but this month was a total joke.
    They actually made 2 estimates on the one day, one was ok and the other was a joke, they chose to bill us for the higher one.

I know I'll get my money back off them but this seemed so high, that I think they planned it

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jester144

colly10 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me this month. The gas estimate was by far our highest ever. Normally I don't mind them estimating, it's usually a little high but this month was a total joke.
    They actually made 2 estimates on the one day, one was ok and the other was a joke, they chose to bill us for the higher one.

I know I'll get my money back off them but this seemed so high, that I think they planned it

I called Airtricity a few months ago, as my direct debit keeps going up and up, and my estimated bill was way over the top. I now get a text every month from them reminding me to read my meter, and to submit a reading online. Since I have done this, the direct debit has come down, but the agent at Airtricity did say that they do hike up (well she didnt say hike up) but similar, the readings in the winter months because otherwise customers who pay on a fixed budget plan sometimes get a bit of a shock when they realise they have not been paying enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Jester144 wrote: »
    I called Airtricity a few months ago, as my direct debit keeps going up and up, and my estimated bill was way over the top. I now get a text every month from them reminding me to read my meter, and to submit a reading online. Since I have done this, the direct debit has come down, but the agent at Airtricity did say that they do hike up (well she didnt say hike up) but similar, the readings in the winter months because otherwise customers who pay on a fixed budget plan sometimes get a bit of a shock when they realise they have not been paying enough.

Great advise. We got two very high bills and contacted them about it. Now we read our meter every month and e-mail it to them. Bills have been grand since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oscuro

Yes i received a massive bill of 500 euros(1 bed apartment) and same happened to a friend.
    I think they might have some IT issues.They have stopped collecting but the problem is still not sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I received bill this morning for 400 euro for 2 months for a small 2 bed apartment. My usual bill was 150-190. There is something smelly going on with this company and their bills...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Back when I had randomers sharing apartment I got a couple of huge bills and in the end it was storage headers taking the P1ss and being on outside cheap night electricity...

So check stuff on timers and things like headers and emershion's [spelling :rolleyes:!] and ensure they are not off kilter and running during the day/early night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

The utility companies are only reading the meter twice or three times a year and using estimates instead. Read the meter yourself and text it in to them. If you get a big estimated bill just pay roughly what you think it should be but get a reading in before the next bill.
    As regards getting access to the meters in apartment blocks it may take a bit of hassle. Some of the meter boxes can be access with a key bought in the hardware store for a few Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

I'm having an issue with them also, apparently I used about 700m3 in the last two months!! And I'm the only one in the country whos meters are checked every two months by a rep it seems!! Every single reading but the initial one from when I moved in is an actual reading apparently. They also refunded me money from all my previous gas bills and the calculated my bill from December to now for some reason, I've no idea what's going on

Advertisement