Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange yellow markings

Options
  • 20-04-2013 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

On the way to Carlow we came across a white line in the road and then a yellow line but in between were a group of five lines crosswise, now despite being a driver who cares about road signage etc I am baffled as to what this configuration is all about.
    It gave no indication to a motorist as to what was expected of him, any one any icdeas before I ring the gard's, i can't remember seeing anything being published in the FT.
    Appreciate comments, Foxy

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The white line is a cycle lane. The five markings at a guess are some class of rumble strip to keep cyclists in the cycle lane.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

I had a look at the Department of Transport's Traffic Signs manual, Chapter 7 dealing with Road Markings.
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/12971-tsm_chapter_7-7.pdf
    There is no sign (!) of anything like these strange markings in the manual, so maybe it is time to call the Gardai. This cycleway came with a price tag of almost half a million euro (463,500 to be exact), a massive waste of taxpayers' money in my opinion in these times of austerity. What's wrong with cycling in the hard margin, haven't people been doing it for decades?
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/44km-cycleway-to-be-developed-in-carlow-kilkenny-1-3954959

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I was very much against it on the same basis, a hard shoulder is a cycle/ pedestrian lane. I often cycle that road and it's grand since the motorway opened (it was grand before also but even grander now).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Thank you, however they seem to have used an awful lot of yellow paint, perhaps we will learn more in time. Foxy

Found it

ROD recently designed a scheme to provide a road marking design for an 8km long overlay scheme on the N77 (former N8) between Abbeleix and Durrow.
    The design included the use of the new warning centreline system
    and provided for a segregated on-road cycleway, on each side of
    the road, utilising the old hard shoulder, as shown. ROD developed
    a road marking system to clearly delineate a 1.0m hardstrip segregation between vehicle and cyclist road space. This included
    a hatch and cycle symbol pattern repeated every 96m and the
    use of raised rib profiles to give tactile feedback to vehicles drifting
    across the segregation area to avoid them entering the cycleway

source

• Advertisement

++Bravo, you sedem to have hi the nail on the head, except the contractor appears to have overdone the yellow bars, we have five. kilkenny Garda wanted to look at it before commenting,Bagnalstown said cycle lane try the RSA site, rod news i thought that lad has had one too many, its about fish, no, do we pay these lads by the way if yes how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Thanks Captain, at least now we know what it is, and it's not a bad idea at all. I just think it would have been good if the County Councils involved had put up some signage to explain to road users that it's a new or experimental marking system.

Quite right some word or signage would have been helpful, both to cyclists and motorists, though if the law says motorists cannot go over that piece of road because it is a dedicated cycle road, does that infer any cyclist coming on to the motorists bit is liable to a penalty, jail term or the like?
    I honestly think someone has shares in these line painting firms, there are more yellow and white lines appearing for perhaps good reason and perhaps not.
    As a cyclist and motor cyclist any car that got too close was fair game for a boot, on one occasion a car in traffic decided he wanted my bit of road and started pushing, pushing me would you believe, so i put the motorcycle down on the road, walked over to the window and said now you pick it up or we don't move. He did, I wasn't the best of mannered road users in those days.
    I preume our yellow markings are an improvement on the Durrow ones as we have five bars, they have two, I was disappointed the garda really needed to see them to comment which said they had no bloody kidea what I was talking about.
    Which reminded me off the picture taken in the city of london where the road had suddenly caved in, with six bobbies looking on, caption read the police are looking into it.
    wow Foxy

The lane isn't finished yet, it will be officially opened in June. I think that it should be noted somewhere like the ROTR or that document linked earlier as to what they mean. It gets confusing for me here, a car can enter a hard shoulder if he wishes to undertake a car turning right, but in this instance there's a solid white line, which a car can't enter. In relation to cyclists leaving the cycle lane, that part of the law was supposed to be changed so that cyclists could, not sure if that happened or not though. I was opposed to that lane going down on the bases that a hard shoulder is a cycling lane, so they've spent €463k repainting a cycle lane.

Now would it surprise you to find out that the Garda were as much in the dark as we are?
    so who is responsible for all the yellow paint splattered around and who has to be told what and why, surely to god councils do not get free access to painting whatever they like on our roads, note the our and not their roads.
    they have really made a balls up of the exit on the ring road from Woodies, instead of integrating it is madness because of the yellow lines.
    Now if yellow or whatever colour chevrons are painted on the road are they in fact legal if applied by the council without consent from the NRA?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Total waste of paint, they've done same thing out the Clonmel road as well (coming from Callan), total waste of paint, time and money

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

sorry have to disagree with yo all on this one...I run that road regularly and I for one am delighted to see a bit of investment in what I see as a resource(ie. the road) that can be used by motorists, cyclists, runners, walkers etc etc etc.

ANything that contributes to pedestrian welfare is IMO money well spent...

Irish people have a shocking habit of driving in hard shoulders...its dangerous...and as a regular hard shoulder runner..anything that keeps auld farmers driving 1993 carina e's at 30kph because they couldnt be arsed driving at a decent speed on the main carriage way is a bonus!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Rantan wrote: »
    sorry have to disagree with yo all on this one...I run that road regularly and I for one am delighted to see a bit of investment in what I see as a resource(ie. the road) that can be used by motorists, cyclists, runners, walkers etc etc etc.

ANything that contributes to pedestrian welfare is IMO money well spent...

Irish people have a shocking habit of driving in hard shoulders...its dangerous...and as a regular hard shoulder runner..anything that keeps auld farmers driving 1993 carina e's at 30kph because they couldnt be arsed driving at a decent speed on the main carriage way is a bonus!

Thing is the new lines out the Carlow road and Clonmel road are meant for cyclists not pedestrian's, you know that if it's a cycle lane you shouldn't be running in it anymore :P :pac:

If you think some new paint and tiny rumble strips will stop somebody driving on the side of the road in either a car or tractor I'd say you're in for a shock,

Advertisement