Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Notes or Past/Sample Exams

Options
  • 20-04-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

As a self studier of programming, I'm eager to find out what I need to know to put myself at least on an equal footing as a college grad.

In Jan 2013 I made the conscious decision that my current career wasn't for me as I had always regretted the .com bust of the millenium swaying me away from CS Courses on my CAO form (notably BIS at UCC).

Anyway, like a gob****e I chose BBS and then confounded that decision by choosing marketing as a major.

So as of Jan 2013 I've been self studying via Coursera & Udacity amongst others as I am not in a position to return to full time education.

I know without the certificate I'll need a good portfolio but I don't even know what kind of level of competence would need to be on show...

So... would I be completely taking the mick to ask anyone if they have access to sample papers or past papers to pm them to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

If you're just talking about programming, then you should know that the college I go to doesn't have programming tests, we do Continuous Assessment for those modules instead.

CA is usually based on a book, and our first three years of Java were based on Sams Teach Yourself Java in 21 days. Ironic title!

In fourth year, we learned Rails with Michael Hartl's Rails Tutorial 3 (A brilliant book by the way, I genuinely enjoyed it) and it gave us an easy introduction into Rails.

I personally think you'd benefit a lot more from books and trying out some courses on codeacademy, you don't really need exam papers. We only had exam papers for database and business-style modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Which college are you at?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

All of trinity's exam papers are available here:

http://www.tcd.ie/Local/Exam_Papers/summer_nonTSM.html

Just look for the Computer Science course.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement