Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Castrol 2-Stroke oil recalled - some batches

• 20-04-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Castrol have recalled some 2T oil batches due to water contamination.

"The contamination in some bottles may potentially be sufficient to cause engine seizure. "

Castrol Power 1 Racing 2T 141735, 143802
    Castrol Power 1 Scooter 2T 119990, 147997
    Castrol Act>Evo 2T 126486, 135401, 150755

See Castrol website for details

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Unreal with a major Brand like Castrol.

Won't be buying any Oil from them again and I use the fully Snyt in my Motorbike and Car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

That is piss poor in fairness, can you imagine if your engine seized they would not give a flying fook! Never used it never will, I know one lad who just serviced his bike with it....LMFAO.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

ouch, at least they are doing right and recalling it, every product has some sort of failure rate to be fair, dunno if it would stop me using a product (i use silkolene for all my 2stroke needs) surely anybody filling a 2t tank would notice water contamination, and definitely if premixing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

bitburger wrote: »
    ouch, at least they are doing right and recalling it, every product has some sort of failure rate to be fair, dunno if it would stop me using a product (i use silkolene for all my 2stroke needs) surely anybody filling a 2t tank would notice water contamination, and definitely if premixing?

well do you ever noticed water in fuel? nope and believe me there is some. so i dont think you would spot some water contamination, i am sure its not like pint of water in bottle. any water will cause issue or maybe dmg the engine - (heat)

anyway ;) i was using castrol 2t back in the days - 10€ for a bottle from bikerworld. i really like them, but this would make me to do not buy the brand anymore as i do not trust them.

why would you risk putting some rubish into your "babys body" :)

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    That is piss poor in fairness, can you imagine if your engine seized they would not give a flying fook! Never used it never will, I know one lad who just serviced his bike with it....LMFAO.

that 2t is for 2 strokes engine - most likely scooter or moped. so 4t for big bikes should be grand. so your mate should be grand :) unless he is driving moped or chainsaw :)

"The affected products and the batch numbers are listed below and were on sale from 3 September 2012. The products are mainly used in motorcycles or small scooters, but can also be used in other equipment with two stroke engines."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

have flushed tanks with water petrol in them before :( it would want to be a fairly large amount of contamination to cause a seizure i would think which would probabaly be noticed floating on the surface of the oil? if it was a small enough amount of oil to actually mix in it would change the colour of the oil i would think, im gonna get a little capful of silkolene tomorrow and experement :pac:

bitburger wrote: »
    have flushed tanks with water petrol in them before :( it would want to be a fairly large amount of contamination to cause a seizure i would think which would probabaly be noticed floating on the surface of the oil? if it was a small enough amount of oil to actually mix in it would change the colour of the oil i would think, im gonna get a little capful of silkolene tomorrow and experement :pac:

you are 110% right. they have been probably under inspection/audit and some water was found in the 2t oil and they have to take off the batch. it can cause the dmg, but it didnt say it did. its a simple warning.

its like white plain organic yougurt labeled - may contain nuts :))))

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Castrol Moto

Castrol has taken the action to recall some of its two stroke lubricants products across Europe. We believe that some of this product may be contaminated with water. This could result in safety issues around its use as it could potentially lead to engine seizure. Therefore we are contacting all known customers and end-consumers to recall the product.

The products were sold between 3 September 2012 and 15 April 2013. This product is mainly used in motorcycles and small scooters, but may also have been used in other two stroke engines.

If motorcyclists and other potential users have used the contaminated product, they have been advised not to use their equipment until they have completed an oil change. If they haven't used the product from any of the potentially contaminated batches, then they should return it to the retailer and they will be given a replacement or refund.

The problem has been traced to our production plant in Italy, where we have taken appropriate steps, and in the meantime retailers have been asked to withdraw the potentially contaminated product from the shelves.
    Please see Castrolmoto.co.uk for all details of the specific product batch numbers that are affected: www.castrolmoto.co.uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

If someone is servicing their bike with 2 stroke oil they've bigger issues than a risk of water in the oil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement