Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charity

• 20-04-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am in a group trying to pick a charity for a fund raising event.

Almost all charities are good, but there is obviously a range of "goodness" to charity, ie some are more effective than others. And there are plenty of reasons why you mightn't support a charity (religious, political ect).

So I guess what I am trying to ask (without offending anyone in the OP is) are there any charities you particularly would or wouldn't support.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Just a personal request, one that doesn't employ chuggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Thumbs up for guide dogs for the blind in Cork

Thumbs down for Victory Outreach. Their "clients" are constantly hassling people in my area. And it's not a worthy cause anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

not to be bitchy, but until charities are regulated, u have no idea where your money is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Definitely not GOAL i would rather burn money than give it to the O'Shea family fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Personally, I am very much pro children's charities, like Barnardos and the ISPCC. These sorts of charities do early intervention work with kids which aims to minimise the need for larger service involvement in the future. Prevention is better than cure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I could do with some, cash would be nice, i could use it for holidays, booze etc. I will account for everything i 'll blow it on so you'll all have the peace of mind of knowing exactly where 100% of your donations went to.:)

Cork Examiner do good articles and this one shows the pay of the top executives for well known Irish charities

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/shedding-light-on-the-pay-of-charity-chiefs-168676.html

May help ya OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

errlloyd,
    if it is a group of very mixed people,then perhaps the group coud decide a list of priorities the charity must have first as every one has their own atachment [or lack of] to any charity.

priorities coud be something like; a charity where the money gets spent local or national only,a charity for adults-or a charity for kids [or perhaps both if that is how the group feels],a charity for animals or any specific animal and so on.

am planning on doing a mini marathon in the wheelchair at some point for the charities that have been significantly supported by and woud not be here if it wasnt for them- national autistic society and mencap,have seen it as a way of giving back to them.
    woud love to raise money for the cats protection league to but they get more money if remember correctly so can be put at the back of the list of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

Saint Vincent de Paul

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

most charities in Ireland pay their top staff much better than staff in siumilar size businesses are paid. Nothing "charity" about them. More of a scam.

Beware especially of those who do not help people in Ireland. Charity should start at home, in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Any chance this is one of those "we're climbing Kilimanjaro for charity" jobs? I have a half-cocked plan that involves me driving a Porsche 911 "for charity" for a couple of years.

Sponsor me and I'll try not to look like I'm enjoying it much, or anything. I will give a whole 10% of the money raised to a good cause. Pretty much like every other charity as it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    Saint Vincent de Paul

the "charity" that buys cigarettes for prison inmates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

This one is very close to my heart: http://www.cari.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Catkins407

Think local . Are there groups in your area making a real difference to people's lives? Respite care for dementia carers or maybe repairs to houses for the elderly or special schools or learning disabled adult services. They are all really cash starved. Forget places with swanky offices and loads of paid staff for paper pushing. Give money where it will have a direct effect. There will be lots in your area . Any money you raise ring fence it so it can't be used to pay wages or admin . Find a specific project that is not open ended but maybe has a fixed end so you don't have to feel guilty about not giving again and again. My thing would probably be something for adults with learning disabilities. They are the least sexy charity out there and they are in desperate need of funding so that people get to go to a day centre and have a life outside their homes and elderly parents. That's just me but years ago I volunteered and some of the places were just in a bad state . It's got to be much worse now with funding slashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Temple street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I've looked for mental health charities that actually help the people they claim to help. Eventually I discovered that the only charity that actually helps is the Simon Community, as most homeless people have mental health problems. The rest of the charities just line their pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sponsor me and I'll try not to look like I'm enjoying it much, or anything. I will give a whole 10% of the money raised to a good cause. Pretty much like every other charity as it happens.

I promise you I am doing something I won't enjoy. I'm not jumping out of a plane, or going on a holiday - that wrecks my head.

I probably won't go Irish, Médecins Sans Frontières is probably one of the charities I most idolise, but I am sure there are people on here who can give me a dozen reasons why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

the "charity" that buys cigarettes for prison inmates?

they might do a little more than just that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

GOAL, Concern & Rehab don't need your money as they can afford to pay their top brass hundreds of thousands each year in salary so give it to some of the smaller charities and especially those that help children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Wikimedia foundation. It's probably our greatest single achievement in terms of collected human knowlege and its run advert free entirely on donations.

• Advertisement

Ah I see a nice sexy charity. It's a good one no doubt but I am wondering why you asked when you had your mind already made up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

As an animal love, I generally support animal charities as a lot people would rather support other charities anyway.

I'll also give a bit to kids charities and whatever disease is flavour of the month!

Edit: I also hate the 'sponsor me for a walk up to Machu Pichu' crowd. Sponsor you to go on holiday? How about you stay here, make a substantial and actual sacrifice and generate money that way? And give every penny to charity.

Catkins407 wrote: »
    Think local . Are there groups in your area making a real difference to people's lives? Respite care for dementia carers or maybe repairs to houses for the elderly or special schools or learning disabled adult services. They are all really cash starved. Forget places with swanky offices and loads of paid staff for paper pushing. Give money where it will have a direct effect. There will be lots in your area . Any money you raise ring fence it so it can't be used to pay wages or admin . Find a specific project that is not open ended but maybe has a fixed end so you don't have to feel guilty about not giving again and again. My thing would probably be something for adults with learning disabilities. They are the least sexy charity out there and they are in desperate need of funding so that people get to go to a day centre and have a life outside their homes and elderly parents. That's just me but years ago I volunteered and some of the places were just in a bad state . It's got to be much worse now with funding slashed.
    Pm me the names of a few deserving ones if you like. My company has a programme where we do repair work free for deserving causes(not private individuals), no agenda, just a way of doing some good and giving somthing back where it makes a bit of a difference. We are money grubbing capitalists the other three and a half weeks of the month!:) Leinster preferably as otherwise it gets a bit travvelly.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Pieta House. They do unbelievable work on a tight budget. Their volunteers are absolute diamonds - www.pieta.ie

Ah I see a nice sexy charity. It's a good one no doubt but I am wondering why you asked when you had your mind already made up?

I haven't got my mind made up. Some of the posts here are really helpful, Edit: I was just about to quote your first post back to you there, the thing about finished projects.

I guess the other half of the reason for the thread was I personally don't believe the vast majority of donors or collectors think about charity as much as we should. Instead of phrasing this about charities I maybe should have phrased it about "causes".

Are some causes more important than others, and do we rank them? Or do we purposely avoid ranking them because it's too depressing to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 reach for the stars

errlloyd wrote: »
    I promise you I am doing something I won't enjoy. I'm not jumping out of a plane, or going on a holiday - that wrecks my head.

I probably won't go Irish, Médecins Sans Frontières is probably one of the charities I most idolise, but I am sure there are people on here who can give me a dozen reasons why not.
    Why dont you just do what challenge you intend to do and leave other people out of it ,cant go anywhere in this country at the moment without getting chugged and most people are too polite/embarrised to refuse even if they cant afford it.

Why not Irish?

Gmol wrote: »
    Temple street
    That's the States responsibility and it is a disgrace and a farce that they need to fund-raise. If all charitable donations were cut off(and I've donated more than most btw before the whingers attack me) the state would be forced(well, should be forced) to meet its obligations instead of hiving it out as a charity case. A childrens hospital is the states business to fund properly. The fact they don't shows what a bunch of self-serving cnuts they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

That's the States responsibility and it is a disgrace and a farce that they need to fund-raise. If all charitable donations were cut off(and I've donated more than most btw before the whingers attack me) the state would be forced(well, should be forced) to meet its obligations instead of hiving it out as a charity case. A childrens hospital is the states business to fund properly. The fact they don't shows what a bunch of self-serving cnuts they are.

you,re quite the little gem aren,t ya .. your company does work for deserving causes and you donate more than most .Talk about blowing your own trumpet.

• Advertisement

Why dont you just do what challenge you intend to do and leave other people out of it ,cant go anywhere in this country at the moment without getting chugged and most people are too polite/embarrised to refuse even if they cant afford it.

I'm not collecting on the street or anything, don't worry. I don't really want to make this thread about me, but if you want I'll pm you my collection ideas and you can give me feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

The William Winder Foundation would be a very worthy cause for your group to donate to. I am doing a pair of gigs in aid of them in a couple of months, and my friend is doing a walk also.

mattjack wrote: »
    you,re quite the little gem aren,t ya .. your company does work for deserving causes and you donate more than most .Talk about blowing your own trumpet.
    It's an anonymous internet forum. I would no more mention it IRL than slit my wrists. Do you think the Internet fairies are going to sprinkle me with magic dust? If you mentioned "charitable works" to my real life friends, they'd say I didn't have a charitable bone in my body. Mainly as I do it quietly and if I didn't have a few beers on, I wouldn't even say it here. Fact is, I'm sorry I did. It just gets twisted into somthing it isn't.

Pm me the names of a few deserving ones if you like. My company has a programme where we do repair work free for deserving causes(not private individuals), no agenda, just a way of doing some good and giving somthing back where it makes a bit of a difference. We are money grubbing capitalists the other three and a half weeks of the month!:) Leinster preferably as otherwise it gets a bit travvelly.;)

I am in Munster and am not very familiar with places in Lenister to be honest with you and even if I did research them from a distance I could not personally vouch for them like I could some local places. It's a great idea though . I like it. It makes a direct difference .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

how about the blackrock/ harolds cross Hospice??

I am in Munster and am not very familiar with places in Lenister to be honest with you and even if I did research them from a distance I could not personally vouch for them like I could some local places. It's a great idea though . I like it. It makes a direct difference .
    Thanks Catkins, and yes, it does make a real difference. And no, it is never, ever mentioned in any company literature or advertising. Fact is, it is never mentioned at all. It just gets quietly done. A lot of good things do just get quietly done and a lot of companies have similar programmes.

• Advertisement

I couldn't agree with you more but the hard truth is that more and more charities are having to become service providers in one way or another because the state won't step up. It was like this in the boom time I can quote you several instances I have come across personally . It's way worse now . I honestly think we don't have a choice but to support them because ultimately the people who are in most need will suffer if we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 reach for the stars

I'm not collecting on the street or anything, don't worry. I don't really want to make this thread about me, but if you want I'll pm you my collection ideas and you can give me feedback.
    You do realise the amount of people out there with collection ideas ,why dont you do your stunt and make a sizeable donation to charity yourself if you feel strongly about it.Look at the news this country is in a deep recession.Personally there are charities that i prefer and donate to but im sick of been approached on a regular basis to support this trip or this headshaving or the other great challenges.

You do realise the amount of people out there with collection ideas ,why dont you do your stunt and make a sizeable donation to charity yourself if you feel strongly about it.

Ok I guess I didn't make it clear the first time, I am not asking for free money from anyone. I will not ask for donations without actually doing something for that person.

OT explanation.
    Just to make it clear. The industry I work in is a service industry, I provide a service to people, they pay me for the service and I split the money roughly 50/50 with the company that advertises the service (note, I am not a prostitute although I realise it sounds that way). The company I am with are open to letting me work for free for a week and giving both of our shares to the charity, as well as probably the standard pub quiz in the local and whip around from the family.

I am not sure why you are getting a hard time about how you will collect your money. It was blocked out so I couldn't see. Do whatever it is you are planning to do. People can give or not give you are not forcing them . Good luck with whatever you decide and whatever charity you settle on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I donate to local animal charities and actively participate in one in particular A Dogs Life who rescues and rehomes dogs from Dunboyne pound.

That Cork Examiner article was really interesting. I am genuinely amazed at the salaries paid to the "chiefs". While i have no problem with people earning a salary by running a charity as their full time job, im incensed that anyone could justify the €100k+ that the ones mentioned in that article do. :confused:

• Advertisement

It was blocked out so I couldn't see.

Just click on the test and scroll over it and you can then read it

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Just click on the test and scroll over it and you can then read it

Thanks but on an iPad that's more temperamental than my unhinged sister. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

A friend used to work for Bothar and advised me never to give them money. Not going into reasons here.

I'd go for Barnardos or a charity which helps the homeless.

I know. You're right but if you went in there and saw the day to day suffering of children and their parents. It's life changing. Humbling watching what families go through and puts day to day bs into perspective. Staying party neutral as no party has put enough into it.

I am in a group trying to pick a charity for a fund raising event.

Perhaps turn your eye on kiva. Its not a charity so much as a place where you choose to invest money and have it paid back to you by people who benefited from it.

The good thing about this for someone who is part of a "group" like you is you get to meet... choose where to invest the money..... then you get the money back again.....

And then when you earn more next time you can do it all over again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I personally give to my local animal charity rather than anywhere else, they do fantastic work, and not just for the animals, they really help the community, people go there to volunteer who have disibiltes or maybe are just lonely sitting at home with no work and get to be part of a large community, have a chat with workers, other volunteers with a cup of tea and a few biscuits. They also work at educating the wider community, particularly children on the work that they do and regarding looking after their own animals.

I also make a point of not giving to chuggers and they are extremely respectful with regards to their fund raising. It's also a plus that I can visibly see the work they do and what it is doing for the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Perhaps turn your eye on kiva. Its not a charity so much as a place where you choose to invest money and have it paid back to you by people who benefited from it.

The good thing about this for someone who is part of a "group" like you is you get to meet... choose where to invest the money..... then you get the money back again.....

And then when you earn more next time you can do it all over again....

Is that microloans? I would also suggest this. You can reinvest the money time and time again and help lots of people improve their lives directly and practically. Give a man a fish etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Ok!

+ 1for MSf they do amazing work - did you see the Cholera " hospital " /tent they set up around various locations to show the kinds of basic life saving resources they set up in crisises ; where literally people are dying for basic simple care in tragic humanitarian circumstances.

+1 for Pieta house. Run by volunteers & volunteer health care professionals it is a relatively new charity & they guarantee that if someone is suicidal asks for help they will get them into a residential setting for help -for free- that day. Unbelievable service & with depression & suicides in Ireland running at over 1 a day.they have now opened a community based centre in Sligo as well as in Leixlip ( I think) and Cork ( I think). a hugely needed service.

Also; laura Lynn Hospice for Children. A national charity the only Hospice for Children in Ireland.started by a lady & her husband who lost both daughters to tragic childhood circumstances & who had to see them die in hospital wards as hospices only cater for cancer patients. They have personally started & fundraised & last year finally managed to open an amazing child centered hospice with wheelchair adopted playground, music & sensor & playroom, and family homes where families and siblings can stay when the time is closing in.it is called in memory of their two daughters; Laura & Lynn. No state funding recieved ; unbelievably. Don't start me.

Alone. A charity that helps , supports practically and befriends old people living in isolation - one of the bigger killers in this country of ours. Started by a fireman in Dublin in the early 80's who was sick of breaking into homes of old people who had died & no one had known or noticed, who had died alone & had been living in terrible poverty or isolation. Still very active but not a " trendy" charity.

A few thoughts for you. Fair dues to you for your efforts : )

Ok!

+ 1for MSf they do amazing work - did you see the Cholera " hospital " /tent they set up around various locations to show the kinds of basic life saving resources they set up in crisises ; where literally people are dying for basic simple care in tragic humanitarian circumstances.

+1 for Pieta house. Run by volunteers & volunteer health care professionals it is a relatively new charity & they guarantee that if someone is suicidal asks for help they will get them into a residential setting for help -for free- that day. Unbelievable service & with depression & suicides in Ireland running at over 1 a day.they have now opened a community based centre in Sligo as well as in Leixlip ( I think) and Cork ( I think). a hugely needed service.

Also; laura Lynn Hospice for Children. A national charity the only Hospice for Children in Ireland.started by a lady & her husband who lost both daughters to tragic childhood circumstances & who had to see them die in hospital wards as hospices only cater for cancer patients. They have personally started & fundraised & last year finally managed to open an amazing child centered hospice with wheelchair adopted playground, music & sensor & playroom, and family homes where families and siblings can stay when the time is closing in.it is called in memory of their two daughters; Laura & Lynn. No state funding recieved ; unbelievably. Don't start me.

Alone. A charity that helps , supports practically and befriends old people living in isolation - one of the bigger killers in this country of ours. Started by a fireman in Dublin in the early 80's who was sick of breaking into homes of old people who had died & no one had known or noticed, who had died alone & had been living in terrible poverty or isolation. Still very active but not a " trendy" charity.

A few thoughts for you. Fair dues to you for your efforts : )

People should read this. Great post of worthwhile charities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

home for aged hookers

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement