Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fines in oz??

Options
  • 21-04-2013 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

hi looking for a bit of advice I have unpaid fines and a conviction for drink driving here in oz, im just wondering has anybody any knowledge of whether this would affect:
    a) me trying to leave the country next month to go home, will i be stopped?
    b) trying to get a second year visa will it get refused because of fines and conviction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

image_zps361648a6.jpg

I mean seriously, you screwed up monumentally by driving after drinking yourself stupid, now your wondering if you have to pay it without there being consequences.

pay the fine and man up

Someone else might give you a proper answer, for me it's a Virtual shrug of the shoulders while feigning interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chrispym

cheers for the advice :rolleyes:

Actually i am intending on paying the fines i just dont have the money to pay them now at the minute. So i dont want to apply for my second year visa and get rejected because i owe fines but if I could stay here and earn the money to pay them back faster i would, otherwise i will go home pay the fines off then come back out on my 2nd year visa without this hanging over me the thing i want to know is will i be stopped getting on a plane or my visa get rejected for said reasons.

Also if anyone else has any unhelpful answers to my question please feel free to leave another pointless post :cool:

But those of you who are on here to talk and help people please let me know your thoughts or experiences on the matter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

chrispym wrote: »

Actually i am intending on paying the fines i just dont have the money to pay them now at the minute. So i dont want to apply for my second year visa and get rejected because i owe fines but if I could stay here and earn the money to pay them back faster i would, otherwise i will go home pay the fines off then come back out on my 2nd year visa without this hanging over me the thing i want to know is will i be stopped getting on a plane or my visa get rejected for said reasons.

Also if anyone else has any unhelpful answers to my question please feel free to leave another pointless post :cool:

But those of you who are on here to talk and help people please let me know your thoughts or experiences on the matter :D

Ffs.

You go drink driving.

In Australia of all places.

and wonder if they'll not notice & just have you back & welcome you into their country after you were arrested and convicted .

And on top of that you don't bother paying the fine?

Don't go leaving anything g in storage behind you whatever you do .

Pay your fine & prioritise it immediately.

If I were you I'd be sending a letter of explanation & a to the cent budget in with it ,explaining why it's not been done already.

You know they deport people for less.

And no - you can't get back in after you've been deported.

Drink driving. You really f'ed it up for yourself there. Hope the beer was worth it.

Not to mention whomever you could have killed or maimed while you were indulging your drink driving. At least it's only your own life and future you've damaged or ruined.

You mention in your other thread that the car was unregistered. AND that you have a string of other road traffic offenses.

Hardly the kind of visitor they'll be wanting to welcome back as a guest to their country.

Don't think they'll be letting you into the US either with all that on your record either.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

I wont judge you more than i already have, but id say your best bet is to pay the fines asap one bad decison on a night out could get you deported if the sheriff has a warrant out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

danotroy wrote: »
    I wont judge you more than i already have, but id say your best bet is to pay the fines asap one bad decison on a night out could get you deported if the sheriff has a warrant out for you.

Seems to be a string of bad decisions, offenses, broken laws & abuse of Auzzie hospitality leading to an unregistered car , drink driving conviction & now that being unpaid too.

But OP rolls eyes at people & seems to think it won't matter - o & the last fine is still unpaid despite being lucky & getting off and not going to jail.

And he's asking WHEtHER he should pay the fine. ? And thinks with all that on his record that they'll want him back?

If we had any sense we wouldn't let him back into this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Regarding the fine: Pay it ASAP.

Regarding the conviction & Visa re-read the thread you started BACK IN JANUARY 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What state where you caught in OP?

Look at it this way if you don't apply for your second year visa you will not get it.

Be advised it could affect your application if you ever want to migrate.

Zambia wrote: »
    What state where you caught in OP?

Look at it this way if you don't apply for your second year visa you will not get it.

Be advised it could affect your application if you ever want to migrate.

I was caught in NSW does this have any significance??
    I will be flying out of WA.

I want to have the best chance of getting a second year so i think if i go home and pay the fines and then apply i will have a better chance of getting it accepted no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

how much was the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Firstly i don't believe you deserve a second visa but how and ever heres my advice.

Apply for your second year visa now. Mine took in the region of two weeks to come through. You can apply, to my knowledge anytime into your first year visa provided you;ve completed the regional work specified. If you get it great! if not well then at least you know and can plan for it.

From your previous thread you stated you owe 3.7k. Did you incurred the additional 2.2k when you were convicted? So we may be looking at 6k in fines. If for instance you earn 1k a week you could put aside 400 each week which will take nearly 4months to pay off (forget about any more benders or a high standard of living). If you don't get that second year visa well then theres little reason to stay in oz. Just do a runner and come home. Where you'll spend most of the time psychologically abusing yourself for the utter stupidity in destroying an opportunity to work in an amazing part of the world. You'll be back on the dole, back to the doom and gloom.

Generally people on WHV's dont pay their fines as they can be easily avoided.

On a side note i know a guy who has a shed load of fines and no drivers licence. Yet hes on a 457, drives a ute and works on a Giant Excavator... He just doesnt care... well not yet.

• Advertisement

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Firstly i don't believe you deserve a second visa but how and ever heres my advice.

Apply for your second year visa now. Mine took in the region of two weeks to come through. You can apply, to my knowledge anytime into your first year visa provided you;ve completed the regional work specified. If you get it great! if not well then at least you know and can plan for it.

From your previous thread you stated you owe 3.7k. Did you incurred the additional 2.2k when you were convicted? So we may be looking at 6k in fines. If for instance you earn 1k a week you could put aside 400 each week which will take nearly 4months to pay off (forget about any more benders or a high standard of living). If you don't get that second year visa well then theres little reason to stay in oz. Just do a runner and come home. Where you'll spend most of the time psychologically abusing yourself for the utter stupidity in destroying an opportunity to work in an amazing part of the world. You'll be back on the dole, back to the doom and gloom.

Generally people on WHV's dont pay their fines as they can be easily avoided.

On a side note i know a guy who has a shed load of fines and no drivers licence. Yet hes on a 457, drives a ute and works on a Giant Excavator... He just doesnt care... well not yet.

Yea I cant apply for my for my 2nd year visa yet as I dont have all my days done so i am working on a farm to sort that at the minute.
    I intend on paying most of the fines off when i get my tax back when i leave the country i can do a early tax return then I ring up find out exactly what i owe and then pay it off, apply for 2nd year visa with no outstanding fines or debts to govt and then I will only have the drink driving conviction to stand against me getting the 2nd year visa!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Pay your fines asap and don't be looking for ways to worm your way out of a situation that you have created for yourself.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    how much was the fine?

This is a overview from January.

I was caught drink driving in NSW with a reading of 0.09 (mid range) PCA. Before anybody starts making judgements I know what I done was possibly the stupidest thing I've ever done.

However I need some helpful advice the car I was driving was a work mates and he had told me that it was rego'd until next year when I was pulled I was told the rego had been cancelled three months prior and that it wasn't in his name.

I was clocked at going 167kph in a 110 zone, automatic 6 month suspension of license racked up 3700 dollars in fines and have a court appearance in 2 weeks with the possibility of a further 2200 fine or 9 months imprisonment.

Chrispym, have you made any effort in the past 3 months to start making payments what so ever???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I will only have the drink driving conviction to stand against me getting the 2nd year visa!

Most likely wont be a problem. Ive been here a year and met plenty of Irish people and the amount of nonsense / shít people get away with is unreal.

The Aussie wrote: »

Chrispym, have you made any effort in the past 3 months to start making payments what so ever???

No because i didn't have work for 2 months and when i eventually did get work i had to survive on it and always planned on just using my tax back to pay them off. when you get nearly 6 grand worth of fines one can not simply just pay them off!!

So you could not go off and do your 88 days outside of Sydney while you were looking for work? (The 88 days does not have to be done in succession)

You had up enough money to survive on for 2 months but not enough to clear the slate and just work at anything until your preferred job came available.
    I'm sorry but something does not compute here.

You could also have made arrangements to pay back weekly if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

If you're planning on staying or coming back to Australia I'd be calling the court asap..
    Explain your circumstances, they can arrange a payment plan. If you ignore it all and just don't pay the fine, the fine expires and they issue an arrest warrant. You go to jail then. I worked in the Magistrates Court here in Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Over $3500 worth of fines?!?

And there was me complaining in work today about my $60 jaywalking fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Who gave you that?

nah he said was nearly $6K
    when you get nearly 6 grand worth of fines one can not simply just pay them off!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Similar to Ireland, they take drink driving extremely seriously.
    If you don't pay the fine, you'll probably be going to jail.
    So, I'd suggest you consult an Australian solicitor ASAP.

Irish, British and Australian law are quite similar in many respects. Same situation would happen in Ireland if you didn't pay a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

And people wonder why the irish have a bad rep abroad...

Theres no such thing as "jaywalking" in Australia.

In the USA in early 20th Century, “jay” was a derogatory term for someone from the countryside. Therefore, a “jaywalker” is someone who walks around the city like a jay. i.e oblivious to traffic around him.

If you crossed the street at a signalized intersection when the man was flashing red or you crossed the road within 20m of the lights then they can fine you but if you walked across the road more than 20m from the nearest lights you should contest it.

I got done crossing mid block on Lonsdale before by a police officer, but i knew that i was in the right. I had an argument with the officer until he saw sense and decided to play good cop and let me off. I explained to him that there is no good cop about it your in the wrong he has happy to converse with me and i explained to him that i wasn't doing anything illegal but he wouldn't believe me.

I got done crossing mid block on Lonsdale before by a police officer, but i knew that i was in the right. I had an argument with the officer until he saw sense and decided to play good cop and let me off. I explained to him that there is no good cop about it your in the wrong he has happy to converse with me and i explained to him that i wasn't doing anything illegal but he wouldn't believe me.

250503.jpg

mandrake04 wrote: »
    250503.jpg

I've generally found cops here to be much more professional in their approach to their job than their irish counterparts. Personal opinion but i think thats coming from a town where the gardai know everyone in the town.

I've generally found cops here to be much more professional in their approach to their job than their irish counterparts. Personal opinion but i think thats coming from a town where the gardai know everyone in the town.

Cops are fine here, I know cops in NSW, VIC and one of my Irish mates packed in construction in Sydney for WAPOL.

Wife's cousin is a cop in Waverley, he is from an Irish background himself but he says the Irish generally have no respect for the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Theres no such thing as "jaywalking" in Australia.

In the USA in early 20th Century, “jay” was a derogatory term for someone from the countryside. Therefore, a “jaywalker” is someone who walks around the city like a jay. i.e oblivious to traffic around him.

If you crossed the street at a signalized intersection when the man was flashing red or you crossed the road within 20m of the lights then they can fine you but if you walked across the road more than 20m from the nearest lights you should contest it.

Jaywalking is basically slang for crossing the road illegally and as that exists in Australia then so does jaywalking, no? Not sure what the relevance the history of jaywalking bit you pulled from wikipedia has tbh.

Its rife around Melbourne CBD, get clowns with their heads stuck in phones walking out in front of me every day as I cycle to work, not surprised pedestrian accident rates are so high here...

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Jaywalking is basically slang for crossing the road illegally and as that exists in Australia then so does jaywalking, no? Not sure what the relevance the history of jaywalking bit you pulled from wikipedia has tbh.

Its rife around Melbourne CBD, get clowns with their heads stuck in phones walking out in front of me every day as I cycle to work, not surprised pedestrian accident rates are so high here...

What exactly is illegally crossing the road?

Jaywalking is an american term. It exists in America. Not in Australia. Nowhere in Austroads does it mention jaywalking as an offence, the only fines you can get for illegal walking are when you break a red light or cross within 20m of a signalized intersection. Im just trying to inform Marky that sometimes cops fine people as they think its a bookable offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

What exactly is illegally crossing the road?

Jaywalking is an american term. It exists in America. Not in Australia. Nowhere in Austroads does it mention jaywalking as an offence, the only fines you can get for illegal walking are when you break a red light or cross within 20m of a signalized intersection. Im just trying to inform Marky that sometimes cops fine people as they think its a bookable offense.

I'm sure the term Jaywalking is in the English dictionary at this stage. It may not be a legal term but it sure to hell let me understand what he was talking about.

• Advertisement

it sure to hell let me understand what he was talking about.

I dont undertsand what you mean here? :)

Advertisement