Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fines in oz??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

ED E wrote: »
    And people wonder why the irish have a bad rep abroad...

They generally don't!

They've a bad rep in certain parts of Australia and in areas of the US that were hit by celtic-tigre era J1 visa holders in the US who just wanted to party hard and saw it as a summer holiday in the American 'spring break' movie tradition.

Well done lads! Thanks for wreaking havoc and making us all get tarred with the same brush.

Bear in mind that the Australians have at various times had a terrible rep in London, Spain etc due to the same kind of loutish backpackers that we send over there.

I lived in Pamplona and the stuff the Aussis got up to in that city during the festivals was really off the scale. I got horror stories from people I know working in emergency medicine there.

On the plus side, at least we seem to be exporting some of our dumbest as well as our brightest so it might all balance out!

The single biggest problem is the age profile of the people involved. They're all 18-20 something beer drinking, partying types who seem to think it's all a joke. They do exactly the same thing tearing up towns and city centres all over Ireland and Britain too.

That being said, I really think certain Aussis are somewhat over-reacting in a slightly xenophobic way. They've their own Irish/British style heavy drinking partying issues and know well how to deal with numbskulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Solair wrote: »
    I lived in Pamplona and the stuff the Aussis got up to in that city during the festivals was really off the scale. I got horror stories from people I know working in emergency medicine there.

When I was there in 2002 the worst/most entertaining thing I saw each day was local red-necks waving the Basque flag and the Riot Police, anything else paled in significance, in fact everything else looked rather Sunday School.

Solair wrote: »
    They generally don't!

They've a bad rep in certain parts of Australia and in areas of the US that were hit by celtic-tigre era J1 visa holders in the US who just wanted to party hard and saw it as a summer holiday in the American 'spring break' movie tradition.

Well done lads! Thanks for wreaking havoc and making us all get tarred with the same brush.

Bear in mind that the Australians have at various times had a terrible rep in London, Spain etc due to the same kind of loutish backpackers that we send over there.

On the plus side, at least we seem to be exporting some of our dumbest as well as our brightest so it might all balance out!

The single biggest problem is the age profile of the people involved. They're all 18-20 something beer drinking, partying types who seem to think it's all a joke. They do exactly the same thing tearing up towns and city centres all over Ireland and Britain too.

That being said, I really think certain Aussis are somewhat over-reacting in a slightly xenophobic way. They've their own Irish/British style heavy drinking partying issues and know well how to deal with numbskulls.

This type of stuff has beendone to death here on a monthly basis sorry, this is not really a proper Scumbag thread to be honest.
    Just your garden varity [insert insult here] thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

My parents rent out rooms to backpackers, normally ones from Taiwan and other Asian countries. Talking to mum today she had had the sheriff knocking on the door as one of the backpackers had an unpaid fine for travelling on the train with the wrong zone ticket. The original $70ish fine ended up costing this backpacker closer to $400. So they will catch up with you in the end and if you think $6000 of fines is bad i hate to think what it will be with the late payment pentalies added to it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

danotroy wrote: »
    What exactly is illegally crossing the road?

Jaywalking is an american term. It exists in America. Not in Australia. Nowhere in Austroads does it mention jaywalking as an offence, the only fines you can get for illegal walking are when you break a red light or cross within 20m of a signalized intersection. Im just trying to inform Marky that sometimes cops fine people as they think its a bookable offense.

You described illegal crossing yourself in your op i.e. starting to cross on red or flashing red or within 15/20m (think this varies by state) of a crossing.

I don't really understand your designation of jaywalking as an American only term that cannot be used in Australia :confused: We'd have a very limited vocabulary if we were restricted to only using English words originating from our own country. You even used the term 'signalized' in your op, this is American English.

I have never heard of Austroads but laws such as this are defined and enforced at state level anyway. If you google "jaywalking victoria" you will see Vic Police site is second result returned. There are also numerous local media stories and definitions of the term and the law as it applies to Victorians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

I dont undertsand what you mean here? :)

Emmmm that's happening me a lot these days. Must get more sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Zambia wrote: »
    Who gave you that?

A short angry copper in Balaclava. I crossed the road (carlisle st) when the green man wasn't flashing! Wasn't a car within 200 metres of me though. I would have understood If I had dashed across a busy road - but what can ya do? Some cops are just ticket happy.

Kinda funny as well, that in that exact same area their were junkies drinking stubbies outside Coles and a couple of hookers plying their trade around the corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

jackbhoy wrote: »
    You described illegal crossing yourself in your op i.e. starting to cross on red or flashing red or within 15/20m (think this varies by state) of a crossing.

I don't really understand your designation of jaywalking as an American only term that cannot be used in Australia :confused: We'd have a very limited vocabulary if we were restricted to only using English words originating from our own country. You even used the term 'signalized' in your op, this is American English.

I have never heard of Austroads but laws such as this are defined and enforced at state level anyway. If you google "jaywalking victoria" you will see Vic Police site is second result returned. There are also numerous local media stories and definitions of the term and the law as it applies to Victorians.

From the victorian police website

"Jaywalking fines can be issued if a pedestrian crosses a street within 15 metres of a traffic control signal and does not obey that signal."

They are wrong here it is 20m
    When I think of jay walking it is mid block which everyone does in london. All I'm saying is it is not illegal in Australia to cross mid block, which cops will try to fine you for as they are not aware its not the law.

From the VICROADS website

"Midblock crossings – choosing a safe place to cross
    Where there is no marked pedestrian crossing available you need to choose a safe place to cross."

A short angry copper in Balaclava. I crossed the road (carlisle st) when the green man wasn't flashing! Wasn't a car within 200 metres of me though. I would have understood If I had dashed across a busy road - but what can ya do? Some cops are just ticket happy.

Kinda funny as well, that in that exact same area their were junkies drinking stubbies outside Coles and a couple of hookers plying their trade around the corner!

The green man doesn't flash in australia. The red man does and when the red man is flashing you are not allowed to start your crossing. If you got caught this way the cop had a reason to fine you. Still common sense says he should of left you off with a stern warning but he was still acting within the law.

The green man doesn't flash in australia. The red man does and when the red man is flashing you are not allowed to start your crossing. If you got caught this way the cop had a reason to fine you. Still common sense says he should of left you off with a stern warning but he was still acting within the law.

Stern warning my arse. I'm not waiting for the green man when the road is deserted.. I had to catch the train to head into work as well. Anyone else in my position would have crossed the road. In fact there was two of us who crossed and he nabbed both of us.

Anyway It doesn't matter either way. It's a pretty daft fine to get hit with. When I rang up and paid the fine the bloke on the phone thought It was hilarious!

I'm not waiting for the green man when the road is deserted.

You have to its the law. Should cars break red lights if there is nobody around?
    Anyone else in my position would have crossed the road.

I know i wouldn't cross. I got caught my first week here walking across a flashing red and i have not once crossed on a flashing red since.
    It's a pretty daft fine to get hit with.

Its not daft at all you broke a red light.

For future reference if you are in a rush walk 20m closer to the train station (away from the lights) and walk across even if there is traffic coming a cop has no right to fine you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

i had a rake of parking fines and 1 speeding ticket i picked up in mount iza. i never paid a penny got d second year visa and left d country not a bother

i had a rake of parking fines and 1 speeding ticket i picked up in mount iza. i never paid a penny got d second year visa and left d country not a bother

legend.

Dan you sound like you're great craic!

Dan you sound like you're great craic!

?

are you getting personal because I have pointed out you actually did break the law even when i have tried to help you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

You have to its the law. Should cars break red lights if there is nobody around?

Stop being stupid, that's a dumb argument.

Did you ever consider taking responsibility for your actions and perhaps learning how to use 'the' in a sentence?

Sundy wrote: »
    Stop being stupid, that's a dumb argument.

How is it a dumb argument? Where does one draw the line should cyclists and pedestrians be allowed to break the lights but cars not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

How is it a dumb argument? Where does one draw the line should cyclists and pedestrians be allowed to break the lights but cars not?

Its a straw man argument.

If the same number of cars broke red lights as pedestrians did, driving would be chaos.
    The consequence of cars continuously breaking red lights is far greater than if a pedestrian does it.

Sundy wrote: »
    Its a straw man argument.

If the same number of cars broke red lights as pedestrians did, driving would be chaos.
    The consequence of cars continuously breaking red lights is far greater than if a pedestrian does it.

straw man argument your end too. If all pedestrians decided they were above the law, as mark has, the roads would be in chaos.

Here in vic over 30% of road traffic accidents are from pedestrians breaking red lights, or crossing within 20m of a traffic light. Of these most are fatal as a car is likely to be traveling at speed though what for them is a green light.

It is more dangerous for a pedestrian to break a red light than a car as they are such more fragile than a person inside a car if they hit another car.

I hope this isnt going off topic just trying to let people know that there is no need to use a traffic light if your in a rush especially at balaclava, just walk 20m closer to the train station and cross when their is a gap in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Because all they'll get out of junkies and hos is abuse, whereas in your case the copper saw a soft chance for some revenue generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 going2aus

chrispym wrote: »
    hi looking for a bit of advice I have unpaid fines and a conviction for drink driving here in oz, im just wondering has anybody any knowledge of whether this would affect:
    a) me trying to leave the country next month to go home, will i be stopped?
    b) trying to get a second year visa will it get refused because of fines and conviction?
    hi i got a speeding fine.(i wasn't driving the car was in my name though) which was send to my Irish address before i came home.anyway i left in December with no problems. i sent the fine back stating i wasn't driving .qld police sent it to me again so i reposted it back with a letter explaing my situation and i haven't heard back since that was back in Jan.not sure about the drink driving but the fines have apparently been cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Enough of the jay walking arguments lads - MOVE ON.
    And no personal insults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Because all they'll get out of junkies and hos is abuse, whereas in your case the copper saw a soft chance for some revenue generation.
    Revenue Generation oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Fines in general do make the state money but in all fairness. Its a payment by choice.

No one generates state revenue by abiding by local laws.

If the State coppers in Victoria wanted to make money they could bankrupt motorists very quickly

Did you know it is illegal to drive through an orange traffic light – if it was deemed you had time to stop?

In NSW and Victoria it carries the same offence as running a red light: $397 and three demerit points in NSW and $282 and three demerit points in Victoria.

A toot of the horn and a wave goodbye out the window as you drive down the street could cost you almost $600 and three demerit points in NSW: $298 for the “illegal use of a warning device”, and a further $298 fine (and three points) for having a “limb protrude” from the car. The same “limb protrude” ticket applies to resting your elbow on the window ledge.

In NSW, a passenger can also be issued a ticket for having a part of his or her body outside a window of a moving car: $298 but no demerit points.

In Victoria, the toot and wave will set you back $282 – $141 for each offence, but no points.

Are you annoyed by drivers who use foglights in clear conditions – or in daylight? In NSW it’s a $99 ticket and in Victoria it’ll cost you $141 to use a foglight “unless in fog or other hazardous weather reducing visbility”.

Displaying “L” or “P” plates when not required (when the driver is fully licenced) is a $141 ticket in Victoria but not NSW.

Did you know it is illegal to leave your car unlocked, leave the key in the ignition or leave the windows open if you’re more than three metres away from your vehicle?

In NSW each of those offences comes with a $99 ticket, in Victoria each is a $141 fine. Leaving the park brake off is also a $141 fine.

Tempted to leave a bicycle rack on the car – even if you’re not carrying a bicycle at the time? In Victoria that is a $141 ticket.

In Victoria, if you’re holding up traffic in the fast lane it is a $282 fine and two demerit points. In NSW, it is $298 and two demerit points.

Many of us know it is an offence to not give way to an emergency vehicle. But did you know the fines? In Victoria it is a $246 ticket and three demerit points. In NSW it is $397 and three demerit points.

Zambia you're a fountain of knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Yup, it's illegal to drive through Orange/amber on the intersection at Queensbridge st turning right onto Flinders.
    I got that fine and those 3 points back in '08. Disgusted.com
    Still very wary when I reach those lights today.

Zambia wrote: »
    Revenue Generation oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Fines in general do make the state money but in all fairness. Its a payment by choice.

No one generates state revenue by abiding by local laws.

If the State coppers in Victoria wanted to make money they could bankrupt motorists very quickly

Did you know it is illegal to drive through an orange traffic light – if it was deemed you had time to stop?

In NSW and Victoria it carries the same offence as running a red light: $397 and three demerit points in NSW and $282 and three demerit points in Victoria.

A toot of the horn and a wave goodbye out the window as you drive down the street could cost you almost $600 and three demerit points in NSW: $298 for the “illegal use of a warning device”, and a further $298 fine (and three points) for having a “limb protrude” from the car. The same “limb protrude” ticket applies to resting your elbow on the window ledge.

In NSW, a passenger can also be issued a ticket for having a part of his or her body outside a window of a moving car: $298 but no demerit points.

In Victoria, the toot and wave will set you back $282 – $141 for each offence, but no points.

Are you annoyed by drivers who use foglights in clear conditions – or in daylight? In NSW it’s a $99 ticket and in Victoria it’ll cost you $141 to use a foglight “unless in fog or other hazardous weather reducing visbility”.

Displaying “L” or “P” plates when not required (when the driver is fully licenced) is a $141 ticket in Victoria but not NSW.

Did you know it is illegal to leave your car unlocked, leave the key in the ignition or leave the windows open if you’re more than three metres away from your vehicle?

In NSW each of those offences comes with a $99 ticket, in Victoria each is a $141 fine. Leaving the park brake off is also a $141 fine.

Tempted to leave a bicycle rack on the car – even if you’re not carrying a bicycle at the time? In Victoria that is a $141 ticket.

In Victoria, if you’re holding up traffic in the fast lane it is a $282 fine and two demerit points. In NSW, it is $298 and two demerit points.

Many of us know it is an offence to not give way to an emergency vehicle. But did you know the fines? In Victoria it is a $246 ticket and three demerit points. In NSW it is $397 and three demerit points.

I do wish i was able to articulate my points as well as you.:D

Advertisement