Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mushrooms in my bark mulch - is it suppertime?

• 21-04-2013 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I found these guys growing in my bark mulch. There is plastic under the mulch so this is growing directly on the mulch, not in the ground.

Can someone identify them for me? Are they safe to eat?

20130421633.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

20130421634.jpg

20130421635.jpg

20130421636.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Cool pics - exciting but high risk !! How good is your medical insurance!!

There is some scarey statistic out there that says 90% of mushrooms are poisonous to humans; or some such " fact " - would be focusing on the photography rather than the cuisine!!

( great pics!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

yeah there are alot of dodgy shrooms out there, but these might be ok. Hopefully theres a fungi expert here who can identify them? If they are good, they will be on the pan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I found some of these in Marlay Park in Rathfarnham, Dublin during the week. Also growing on bark mulch.

I have an amateur interest - certainly not enough to know whats safe to eat!!

Hopefully an expert answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cove Cobain

These are poisonous.

These are poisonous.

What are they? Got any links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

newbie2 wrote: »

I dont think so, that says its a very rare find in Ireland, but here we have 2 different posters having found it in different parts of the country. Also, the top isnt scaled as per that page and the season isnt June to October. Thanks though.

One of my guides has a mushroom calendar for Ireland and suggests it could be St Georges mushroom but it doesnt look like it.

http://www.first-nature.com/fungi/calocybe-gambosa.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Those look slightly like chanterelles (which are edible), but don't take my word for it... are they yellow or brown? Chanterelles are more yellow and smell a bit like apricots when you break them.

Look up a good mushroom guide or find a local mushroom expert.

Pic here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chanterelle_Cantharellus_cibarius.jpg

Could also be these... the "sweating mushroom", which is poisonous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clitocybe_rivulosa

Theyre definitely not chanterelles.

I have some excellent mushroom guides, but havent gone through the process of picking one and taking it home for identification - I will do that if I get a chance over the coming weeks.

They do look a bit like the sweating mushroom you linked to but apparently thats only around in the summer and autumn, not march/april.

Theres not many mushrooms around in March/April so was hoping theyd be an easy identification for someone with a bit of knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »

Whatever about the photographs provided here the ones I saw were not remotely like chanterelles (false or not), wrong shape, wrong colour, wrong season and chanterelles do not have that kind of slimy look to the cap.

I wouldn't be too locked down to the season, the seasons are gone a bit mad this year and mushrooms aren't strictly limited to them. But yes, the colour I can't really tell from the screen. They look yellow to me, but maybe not on someone elses monitor? Chanterelles are defo very yellow. Like an egg yoke.

Put on a glove and break one to see if there is milk or not, and do a spore map too.

If in any doubt, don't eat.

Maybe try using this, put in the characteristics and see what results it throws.
    http://www.mycokey.com/newMycoKeySite/MycoKeyIdentQuick.html

If you get nowhere, maybe try emailing the irish wildlife trust. We go on their mushroom foraging events with them in cork, they are bound to be able to recommend someone who could help identify.

pwurple wrote: »
    If in any doubt, don't eat.

+ millions!

Ive had an amateur interest for a couple of years now, gone on mushroom foraging events, have a number of guide books, field guides and even an encylcopedia (not to mention google!) and Id still NEVER eat a mushroom I came across somewhere unless an expert confirmed it.

I want to learn how to do the spore printing at some stage.

Id like to study mycology formally, is it just a branch of biology or botany or is it a discipline that can be studied on its own - sorry Ive gone off topic, but Id be interested in anyone ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cove Cobain

Cortinarius corrugatus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

Never ever eat a mushroom that you find unless you know exactly what it is as identified by an expert in the field (no pun intended).
    True story: An Irish woman was widowed after a visiting German friend picked some mushrooms and brought them home to eat, no problem there, the German friend had been picking mushrooms since they were a child.
    Her husband then picked his own mushrooms after their friend left, cooked and ate them and subsequently died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

looks like a honey fungus

Vanhalla wrote: »
    looks like a honey fungus

You know, I totally disregarded honey fungus because it wasn't on a tree, but of course bark mulch is bits of tree. :)

Could easily be that.

The ones I saw werent growing in clusters like honey fungus tend to. They were growing in ones and twos. But they do look like them, although my recollection of honey fungus is that they are smaller than the ones I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

the mushrooms I posted in the photos are not yerrow. The top is a sandy brown colour while the flesh underneath and stem are magnolia in colour. Growing in ones and twos also. Easily over 40 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just as an aside Loobz, I love the relevance of your sig - you reckon you might be needing them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement