Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Team of the Year

• 21-04-2013 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭

With the PFA Awards next Sunday they will pick a team of the Year, so I thought a thread would be appropriate.

Here goes:

Begovic

Zabaleta
    Nastasic
    Distin
    Baines

Carrick
    Cazorla

Suarez
    Michu
    Bale

RVP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭JamBur

Most positions are easy choices, you're fairly spot on with your 11. The tough 2 are the centre backs. There are no outstanding candidates. Maybe ferdinand should be in with a shout though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

No Mata??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

THFC wrote: »
    No Mata??

I considered leaving out RVP but as the player of the year is more than likely between him and Bale I couldnt!!

Picked Cazorla and Michu because it was their first seasons in the League and they have been excellent. Unlucky but will see what the pros come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I considered leaving out RVP but as the player of the year is more than likely between him and Bale I couldnt!!

Picked Cazorla and Michu because it was their first seasons in the League and they have been excellent. Unlucky but will see what the pros come up with

Feel free to put up your own team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

de Gea
    Zabaleta---Ferdinand----Vertonghen--Baines
    Hazard
    Carrick
    Mata
    Bale
    RvP
    Suarez

This wouldn't be my team of the year, just trying to predict what will be picked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

With the PFA Awards next Sunday they will pick a team of the Year, so I thought a thread would be appropriate.

Here goes:

Begovic

Zabaleta
    Nastasic
    Distin
    Baines

Carrick
    Cazorla

Suarez
    Michu
    Bale

RVP

Can cazorla play dm? I doubt it really, the team has to make sense and shoehorning people into off positions isint right.

Id probably go 433 with

begovich
    Zab--cb--vertonghen--baines
    carrick
    ---cazorla--mata
    Suarez---rvp---bale

I must think more on the rcb pick, cant think of anyone just yet.

Bench: mignolet, rafael, dembele, michu, fellaini, walcott and another centre half (struggling to think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

klose wrote: »
    Can cazorla play dm? I doubt it really, the team has to make sense and shoehorning people into off positions isint right.

The 2010/11 team had Wilshere and Nasri as the two CMs in a 4-4-2, so I don't think they are overly pushed on having players in their exact position!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

De Gea

Rafael----Evans----Vertonghen
    Baines
    Carrick
    Fellaini

Mata
    Bale

Van Persie----Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Id probably go 433 with

begovich
    Zab--cb--vertonghen--baines
    carrick
    ---cazorla--mata
    Suarez---rvp---bale

I must think more on the rcb pick, cant think of anyone just yet.

Bench: mignolet, rafael, dembele, michu, fellaini, walcott and another centre half (struggling to think)

Balance won't really come into it at all, a midfielder will be considered against a midfielder, even if it's Mikel against Bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

ddg has made too many mistakes to make the team.

hart
    zab
    vertonghen
    cahill
    baines
    carzola
    michu
    mata
    bale
    suarez
    rvp

most clean sheets and least goal concede record but dont let facts get in the way your anti English bias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Oranage2 wrote: »

hart

zab
    vertonghen
    cahill
    baines
    carzola
    michu
    mata
    bale
    suarez
    rvp

most clean sheets and least goal concede record but dont let facts get in the way your anti English bias.

from a few weeks ago but still a pretty valid statistic. https://twitter.com/WhoScored/status/315812243688267776

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah, its mad to use mistakes to bring down De Gea and then put Hart in. De Gea has been far superior to Hart this season. Lloris and Mignolet (maybe Begovic too) the only realistic contenders to De Gea for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Evans should be in with a shout at cb too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

My Team

Mignolet

Rafael
    Vertonghan
    Nastasic
    Baines

Mata
    Cazorla
    Gerrard
    Bale

Suarez
    RVP

im sure Gerrard is surprising but he has been superb this season

MD1990 wrote: »
    My Team

Mignolet

Rafael
    Vertonghan
    Nastasic
    Baines

Mata
    Cazorla
    Gerrard
    Bale

Suarez
    RVP

im sure Gerrard is surprising but he has been superb this season
    At what exactly??bossing an average team too mid table?theres at least 5 better cm's in the premier league!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    At what exactly??bossing an average team too mid table?theres at least 5 better cm's in the premier league!

Ten goals and ten assists from mostly a deep lying role is a good return and has been in his best form since 09. But like you say there is better options

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

De Gea

Zabaleta, Vertonghen, Luiz, Baines

Hazard, Carrick, Mata, Bale

Suarez

Van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

By choosing Hart you have pretty much contradicted your own logic there. I would argue that his clean sheets are more due to the quality of players he has in front of him rather than purely his goalkeeping abilities. Sure he may be an excellent shot-stopper, but so it De Gea. I think Hart has been exposed too many times this season in other areas to be considered in the team of the season. I don't exactly know what it is with him but it seems to be a problem with concentration more than anything else because he certainly doesn't appear to be lacking in confidence or ability.

I do agree with you however that De Gea doesn't quite deserve the spot either, although theres no denying he has improved considerably throughout the season. There's still room for improvement in his all-round game before he can be considered the best IMO. My choice would probably go to Begovic although I'd be lying if I said I've watched him enough throughout the season to make a full judgement. Anytime I've seen him though he's been superb and really instills a feeling of confidence that I feel is lacking from DDG's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mignolet

Zabaleta Jagielka Verthongen Baines

Carrick

Mata
    Bale

Michu

Van Persie Suarez

I've probably forgotten someone obvious but that's who I'd go for off the top of my head. Had to change to the above formation as I wanted to fit Michu in somewhere.

Most difficult to pick was probably the CB spot alongside Verthongen. Perhaps I should have gone with Bassong but Jagielka has been excellent IMO.

Cazorla, Fellaini, Dembele, Rafael and more would also be in there in an ideal world but obviously they can't all fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This not what I'd pick myself but it wouldn't surprise me if it ends like this.

Cech

Zabaleta-Ivanovic-Vertonghen-Bale

Mata
    Carrick
    Fellaini
    Michu

Suarez
    RVP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Bale at left back? He hasn't played there for about 3 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

cech

zabeleta---Vertonghen---Nastasic---baines

Mata---Carrick---Gerrard---Bale

Rvp---suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

DDG
    Zabaleta Evans Vertonghan Baines
    Mata Carrick Cazorla Bale
    Suarez RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I do agree with you however that De Gea doesn't quite deserve the spot either, although theres no denying he has improved considerably throughout the season. There's still room for improvement in his all-round game before he can be considered the best IMO. My choice would probably go to Begovic although I'd be lying if I said I've watched him enough throughout the season to make a full judgement. Anytime I've seen him though he's been superb and really instills a feeling of confidence that I feel is lacking from DDG's game.
    De Gea has been playing at a very high level since January 2012, before that he wasn't what anyone could call bad either, was just a scapegoat because there was very little to criticise United about at that time until the capitulation at the end of the season. Was similar at the start of this season. It wasn't too long ago they were saying on Soccer Saturday that Ben Foster was better than De Gea. So much drivel gets pedaled around about him. He's been as important to United's league position as anyone this season. A toss up between him, Carrick and RvP for United player of the year and they should all be in the team of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Liam O wrote: »
    De Gea has been playing at a very high level since January 2012, before that he wasn't what anyone could call bad either, was just a scapegoat because there was very little to criticise United about at that time until the capitulation at the end of the season. Was similar at the start of this season. It wasn't too long ago they were saying on Soccer Saturday that Ben Foster was better than De Gea. So much drivel gets pedaled around about him. He's been as important to United's league position as anyone this season. A toss up between him, Carrick and RvP for United player of the year and they should all be in the team of the season.

it wasn't too long ago either that united were pedaling foster as the greatest too even though he couldn't catch a ball or make saves to his right.

it wasn't too long ago either that united were pedaling foster as the greatest too even though he couldn't catch a ball or make saves to his right.

Foster isn't a bike. The word is 'peddling'.

I don't think United ever said Foster was one of 'the greatest'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Why did Fergie drop him then if he was just a scapegoat? De Gea has improved considerably but it is again evident that footballers are an extremely fickle bunch. He's still extremely poor under high ball and this hasn't changed although he now appears to be more protected by a more solid defence than earlier in the season. He's still a top shot stopper and always has been. He was poor before Christmas and hasn't been mistake free since January, either. Taking into account his premier league performances (he was very good in the CL when it mattered, imo) he doesn't deserve to be in that team. Hart certainly does not deserve to be in the team, he's been very inconsistent in the premier league and has made a number of mistakes; he was excellent in the CL though.

The only realistic candidates for me are Mignolet, Begovich and Cech. Cech, over the entire season, has been superior than the other 2 imo. He's been extremely consistent and has made some brilliant saves.

De Gea has been playing at a very high level since January 2012

Like I said, he has improved considerably as the season went on. However, there are still questions over his head, particularly regarding his ability to deal with crosses which is one of the main aspects of goalkeeping. I've seen on numerous occasions over the past few months him going for crosses and either flapping at them or completely missing them. Just because he was fortunate enough to get away with them does not take away from the fact that its happening too much for a keeper supposedly playing 'at a high level'. I was in a pub a few weeks back watching the Chelsea FA cup replay game and people were genuinely shocked when they saw him catch two corners in a row (of course he completely misjudged an earlier one). If he can continue doing that week in week out, I'll change my opinion, but until then I'll still have my concerns.
    before that he wasn't what anyone could call bad either

For a keeper who cost £16 million, fighting for a place on arguably the best club in the world, I would argue otherwise. He was flapping at a majority of balls that came into the box, was at fault for far too many goals for a top class keeper, and was clearly suffering from some serious confidence issues, something which can be particularly damaging for a goalkeeper. Clearly Fergie thought the same as he was dropped more than once during that time.
    He's been as important to United's league position as anyone this season.

The second half of the season he has been much improved and obviously made some vital saves, but like I said, there is more room for improvement in his overall game before he can be considered the best. As a United fan I hope he does because he has fantastic natural ability.

Like I said, he has improved considerably as the season went on. However, there are still questions over his head, particularly regarding his ability to deal with crosses which is one of the main aspects of goalkeeping. I've seen on numerous occasions over the past few months him going for crosses and either flapping at them or completely missing them.

Any examples in gif form? Let's say from the past 3 months? Genuine question because I can't remember any.

• Advertisement

Any examples in gif form? Let's say from the past 3 months? Genuine question because I can't remember any.

Doubt I'll be able to find it but IIRC there was one in the Chelsea cup replay for a start. His feeble attempt at clearing the cross at WHL against Spurs in the last minute back in February which cost us the 3 points is another obvious which springs to mind, although there have been less obvious cases which I have no idea where to even start looking for footage of. Even if I don't find them, I think its reasonable to suggest that those concerns still remain, albeit he is improving on it.

Doubt I'll be able to find it but IIRC there was one in the Chelsea cup replay for a start.

I actually don't even remember that one. :pac:

The reason why I asked for a few examples is that, as a United fan and somebody who was wishing De Gea to do well, I was willing to put up with the odd clanger here and there while he developed.

I'd be lying if I said that he didn't worry me in the past when it came to crosses and it wasn't clear whether he'd ever get there. That worry has dissipated with every game this season to the point that his last two matches were against Stoke and West Ham - two teams that like the aerial game - and he excelled.

One of the funny things is that I've watched Stoke a few times in the past few months and Begovic has looked dodgy under the high ball, when it gets to him of course. This is never really brought up, though, for some reason, in the same way that it would be for DDG and Hart. it's definitely easier to be a keeper for a smaller team as the focus and pressure is off.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thread ruined after 11 posts. Impressive.

Doubt I'll be able to find it but IIRC there was one in the Chelsea cup replay for a start. His feeble attempt at clearing the cross in OT against Spurs in the last minute back in the middle of February which cost us the 3 points is another obvious which springs to mind.
    I disagree with that Spurs one but my feelings on that are well documented on other threads on here. I'll not get into it again for my sanity. :pac:

That worry has dissipated with every game this season to the point that his last two matches were against Stoke and West Ham - two teams that like the aerial game - and he excelled.

Very true, hopefully he can keep it up because I genuinely do like him.
    it's definitely easier to be a keeper for a smaller team as the focus and pressure is off.

I can't argue with this, as a keeper who's played at a decent amateur level it was always nerves and confidence that got to me! Must be a thousand times worse for a young lad thrown into the United set up with a 16 million price tag on his head....Next season will be huge for him.

Anyways, I've talked enough shíte about goalkeepers for one day, my team would be similar to everyone else's:

Begovic

Rafael Vertongaun Nastasic Baines

Mata Fellaini Carrick Bale

Suarez RVP

As expected, i assume this is real.?

251387.jpg

• Advertisement

251387.jpg

Source?

Not sure about Hazard. The rest of the team is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

How Hazard has gotten into that team is beyond a joke

Is that the confirmed TOTY?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Thrilled for De Gea if that's legit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Why wouldn't Hazard be in it? A storming opening to the season, a relatively quiet middle period and a cracking finish to the season. I'd argue that over the course of the last 2 months he has been Chelsea's best player and an argument could be made that he was Chelsea's best player over the course of the first 2 months of the season. In top form he is one of the best players to watch in the league, excitement personified, he can do it all. He is an incredible prodigy, in my opinion the most talented player in the league, I think he more than warrants his place in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

team is about right, apart from Hazard, as to how he made it ill never know.

Carzola/Fellani should be in there ahead of him, though Fellani has slacked off over the past few months and that probably cost him.

De gea finally get the recognition that has been long over due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Why wouldn't Hazard be in it? A storming opening to the season, a relatively quiet middle period and a cracking finish to the season. I'd argue that over the course of the last 2 months he has been Chelsea's best player and an argument could be made that he was Chelsea's best player over the course of the first 2 months of the season. In top form he is one of the best players to watch in the league, excitement personified, he can do it all. He is an incredible prodigy, in my opinion the most talented player in the league, I think he more than warrants his place in the team.

Your capacity for hyperbole knows no bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

my team would have been.
    De Gea
    Rafael Ferdinand Nastasic Baines
    Mata Carrick Hazard
    Suarez RVP Bale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

De Gea hasn't been the best keeper in the year this year. Very surprised he won it. Thought Mignolet deserved it ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

SSN had it up as breaking news banner but have removed it again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

How Hazard has gotten into that team is beyond a joke
    Strongly disagree ..He has had a great season of course if he wasnt in it fair enough but i think he has been fantastic.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Source?

Twitter is all unfortunately, should find out soon enough if its true. Would agree re. The points on hazard.

Cazorla over Hazard. Otherwise the team is fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'd have Cazorla ahead of hazard

• Advertisement
Advertisement