Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Team of the Year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

SantryRed wrote: »
    De Gea hasn't been the best keeper in the year this year. Very surprised he won it. Thought Mignolet deserved it ahead of him.

Disappointed he didn't get it myself but not surprised. If there's a tough choice between a player at a top team or a mid-table/bottom half team the player at the top team usually always gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

wadacrack wrote: »
    Strongly disagree ..He has had a great season of course if he wasnt in it fair enough but i think he has been fantastic.

Hes been fantastic at times and utterly anonymous other times.

He hasnt been consistently good enough to be in the team of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Your capacity for hyperbole knows no bounds.

You say that, but I say don't be surprised if Hazard eventually moves to Real Madrid and one day lifts the Balon D'or, he is that good and has that much potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Why wouldn't Hazard be in it?

the majority of his goals, assists and good games came against the teams in the lower end of the table so in other words, when it came down to having an input and winning important points for Chelsea, he rarely stood up and be counted.

Chelsea would still be 3rd even if they didnt sign him IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Hes been fantastic at times and utterly anonymous other times.

He hasnt been consistently good enough to be in the team of the year.
    http://www.eplindex.com/31265/eden-hazard-vs-juan-mata-chelsea-wizards-statistically-compared.html
    I disagree . He has lived up to the hype imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You say that, but I say don't be surprised if Hazard eventually moves to Real Madrid and one day lifts the Balon D'or, he is that good and has that much potential.

Maybe so but that's not really relevant to team of the year discussions. He has been inconsistent this year relative to the likes of Cazorla and Michu, although Michu has been playing as a striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Hazard I wouldnt agree with but no real problem with the rest, maybe Nastasic instead of Verthongen and Id find it hard to leave Raf out but Zab is quality also.

Anybody disputing De Gea as the GK should take into consideration the pressure he deals with and the stats match up to anyone in the league. Fully deserving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

cech / mignolet > de gea

rafael > zabaleta

michu, fellaini, cazorla > carrick

Bale for player of the year, runner-up RVP.

Not sure how they can pick a keeper who has missed 8 or 9 games and not through injury. There's been better midfielders than Carrick too but he has been the best defensive midfielder which I assume is the reasoning behind his inclusion which is fair enough. I thought rafael has been better than zabaleta (marginally). Not sure about Ferdinand but I wouldn't be including Nastasic myself so can't think of anyone to replace Ferdinand; there haven't been many standout defenders with the exception of Vertonghen. I think Ivanovic has been better but he's played his best football from full-back.

the majority of his goals, assists and good games came against the teams in the lower end of the table so in other words, when it came down to having an input and winning important points for Chelsea, he rarely stood up and be counted.

Chelsea would still be 3rd even if they didnt sign him IMO.

I disagree and I'd also argue that Chelsea would be a considerably less entertaining team to watch than they are right now if they didn't have him. He is the star of this particular Chelsea show, the player upon whose shoulders Chelsea look set to build their future, the main man (in an attacking sense anyway). A genuinely sublime talent the likes of which are rarely seen on the shores of England (indeed Hazard would not look at all out of place in Madrid or Barcelona)

• Advertisement

Maybe so but that's not really relevant to team of the year discussions. He has been inconsistent this year relative to the likes of Cazorla and Michu, although Michu has been playing as a striker.

As you say, Michu's been a striker and Cazorla, while a wonderful talent, also had a significant quiet period during the season and has faded somewhat after a great start. When both have been at top form, Hazard has been the more spectacular player.

A genuinely sublime talent the likes of which are rarely seen on the shores of England (indeed Hazard would not look at all out of place in Madrid or Barcelona)

This is a weird sentence, as though English fans should be glad to have a player like Hazard deign to grace them with his presence. You're also talking as though good players are the sole preserve of Madrid and Barca. Plenty of great players have played in England present day included.

I disagree and I'd also argue that Chelsea would be a considerably less entertaining team to watch than they are right now if they didn't have him. He is the star of this particular Chelsea show, the player upon whose shoulders Chelsea look set to build their future, the main man (in an attacking sense anyway). A genuinely sublime talent the likes of which are rarely seen on the shores of England (indeed Hazard would not look at all out of place in Madrid or Barcelona)

Some man to go off on an irrelevant erroneous tangent....
    Juan Mata says **** you for not recognizing his talent.

(Which is odd considering your hyper love of all things Spanish)

As you say, Michu's been a striker and Cazorla, while a wonderful talent, also had a significant quiet period during the season and has faded somewhat after a great start. When both have been at top form, Hazard has been the more spectacular player.

I'd throw Fellaini in there too, actually. Cazorla pretty much beats Hazard on all stats based metrics and from what I've seen of the two, which I admit isn't as much as the fans of the clubs involved, Cazorla has been more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Michu had a quiet spell as did cazorla. Even RVP every player has it. HAzard started an ended the season very strongly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Blatter wrote: »

de Gea
    Zabaleta---Ferdinand----Vertonghen--Baines
    Hazard
    Carrick
    Mata
    Bale
    RvP
    Suarez

This wouldn't be my team of the year, just trying to predict what will be picked.
    klose wrote: »
    As expected, i assume this is real.?

251387.jpg

That's the team I thought would be picked, would be surprised if that wasn't it now.

• Advertisement

This is a weird sentence, as though English fans should be glad to have a player like Hazard deign to grace them with his presence. You're also talking as though good players are the sole preserve of Madrid and Barca. Plenty of great players have played in England present day included.

Nobody is saying that hugely talented players haven't played in England. However traditionally the very best players, the cream of the crop, have almost always plied their trade in Spain and Italy (more Spain in the last decade). So yes, I do think English football is lucky to have a player the quality of Hazard in it's league.

kryogen wrote: »
    Some man to go off on an irrelevant erroneous tangent....
    Juan Mata says **** you for not recognizing his talent.

(Which is odd considering your hyper love of all things Spanish)

I'm a big fan of Juan Mata, who isn't? For me though Hazard is the more spectacular player and he is the one who could one day be crowned the best footballer in the world.

I'm a big fan of Juan Mata, who isn't? For me though Hazard is the more spectacular player and he is the one who could one day be crowned the best footballer in the world.

What does that have to do with this seasons Team of the Year selection exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Gareth Bale has won both PFA player of the year and PFA young player of the year awards apparently.

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Gareth Bale has won both PFA player of the year and PFA young player of the year awards apparently.

The main award isn't supposed to be announced until 11pm, the PFA confirmed earlier. Unless there's a leak like with the team, but I'd imagine that'd be more difficult given that those announcements are sealed in envelopes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Fair play to him.
    EF616C73BECB868F6A1D7A31C809_h374_w526_m2_bblack_q99_p99_cgNtmLLtN.jpg

The main award isn't supposed to be announced until 11pm, the PFA confirmed earlier. Unless there's a leak like with the team, but I'd imagine that'd be more difficult given that those announcements are sealed in envelopes.

It seems to be coming from the same source that leaked the Team Of The Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Incredible that Petr Cech did not get no.1 keeper i thought he was outstanding this season. Start to finish no blips. De Gea came good in the 2nd half and did well recover from the rocky start, but incredible to suggest he had a better season!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

This thread is the first place I've seen it suggested that De Gea had a rocky start to the season.

NUTZZ wrote: »
    It seems to be coming from the same source that leaked the Team Of The Year.

The Daily Mail has it on their back page and that seems to be driving the talk. It hasn't been officially announced yet though, the Mail could be guessing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,665 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

Four Manchester United players have been named in the Professional
    Footballers' Association (PFA) Team of the Year for 2012/13.

PFA Player of the Year nominees Robin van Persie and Michael Carrick are
    joined in the XI by Old Trafford team-mates David De Gea and Rio
    Ferdinand.

All four were present at the PFA's annual awards ceremony at the Grosvenor
    House Hotel in London on Sunday night after helping the new Barclays Premier
    League champions secure a 1-1 draw against Arsenal at the Emirates earlier in
    the day.

No other club had as many players voted into the team; Chelsea earned two
    places for Eden Hazard and Juan Mata and Tottenham Hotspur had the same number
    with central defender Jan Vertonghen and goalscoring talisman Gareth Bale.
    Everton, Liverpool and former champions Manchester City have one representative
    each in the line-up - they are Leighton Baines, Luis Suarez and Pablo Zabaleta
    respectively.

The full PFA Team of the Year 2012/13 is as follows: De Gea; Zabaleta
    (Manchester City), Vertonghen (Tottenham), Ferdinand, Baines (Everton); Mata
    (Chelsea), Carrick; Hazard (Chelsea), Suarez (Liverpool), Bale (Tottenham), van
    Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Team confirmed by Oliver Kay @OliverKayTimes

What does that have to do with this seasons Team of the Year selection exactly?

Nothing, what has me not praising Juan Mata got to do with this years PFA Team of the Year? Nothing. Both players are in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

This thread is the first place I've seen it suggested that De Gea had a rocky start to the season.

Gary Neville is the first person I heard saying it. It was on last weeks MNF. I can't say I disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

not_sure_if_srs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Wouldn't really disagree with that team of the year apart from Hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

#JusticeforMichu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Bale double POTY

The Daily Mail has it on their back page and that seems to be driving the talk. It hasn't been officially announced yet though, the Mail could be guessing?

Well it's turned out to be true any way!

Match Of The Day 2 announced it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Well done Gareth, good stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fourth best player at best for me but hey ho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

adox wrote: »
    Fourth best player at best for me but hey ho.

Oooooooooohhhh......controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

As I said over in the Spur forum, if it was ability before reputation there would only be one winner and that is Luis Suarez. But congratulations to Gareth Bale :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Michu not being in the team of the year is a joke tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Mata should have won player of the year and I would have Michu in the team over Hazard other than that I agree with all the selections

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ugh. Just change Young Player of the Year to Rookie of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Ugh. Just change Young Player of the Year to Rookie of the Year.

Wouldn't fully agree with that but they should really change it to under 21's.

retalivity wrote: »
    Michu not being in the team of the year is a joke tbh...

I dunno, he was played as a striker, which of RVP or Suarez would you not have there?

Lumbo wrote: »

That I would fully support

This was Bales 6th season was it? Kinda ridiculous

Lumbo wrote: »

Be it what you suggested or I suggested, there needs to be a change we both can agree.

• Advertisement

Footballers being as stupid as they are, they'll probably vote Bale for Rookie of the Year though ^.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I dunno, he was played as a striker, which of RVP or Suarez would you not have there?

take hazard out and play 4-3-3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

aramush wrote: »
    As I said over in the Spur forum, if it was ability before reputation there would only be one winner and that is Luis Suarez. But congratulations to Gareth Bale :)

Why is that? Bale scored almost as many goals as Suarez while playing around half the games as winger and RVP scored more than Suarez.

Suarez has played 4 more games than Bale and has scored 4 more goals. I don't see any big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Fair play to Blatter on his spot on prediction - not easy to get all 11 right.

Team looks about right, though I think Cazorla deserves to be there over Hazard and Rafael over Zabaleta maybe.

How long are these imagined 'dream teams' and teams of the year going to continue being put in 4-4-2?

It has been almost 10 years now where a 4-5-1/4-3-3 variant has been used by almost every single top team in world football.

Makes little sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Morzadec wrote: »
    Rafael over Zabaleta maybe.

rafael had a great season going forward, but defensively he was not as strong as Zabaleta.

United conceded alot of goals down that flank this season and some of them were due to Rafael being out of position, alot of them in fact.

however, i honestly think this is down to the tactics being employed by the manager as on the other side, Evra is tucked in alot also, which suggest its what they are told to do especially against sides who dont play with out and out wingers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement