Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI - some funeral expenses covered for dead father?

Options
  • 21-04-2013 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what entitlements might be granted for funeral expenses for my dead father.
    Obviously not looking for anything major but just wondering if there is anything that they will cover.
    My mother is paying for it for him for their entire lives, and its plan b with options but their site doesn't go into any specifics typically enough, and I would like to know what entitlements we should get for covering costs if any?

thanks for any input,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭OU812

It's health insurance, not life insurance. The only thing they'll cover is the hospital charges.

Condolences on your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

The VHI may pay repatriation costs or foreign burial if your father died abroad. Assuming he didn't then, as advised above, all benefit stops

You should be able to claim the bereavement grant.
    Link to citizens information
    The undertaker should also be a good source of information.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

I had figured somewhat as much, but some vhi pages suggested contributions towards coffin costs etc.
    Guess I'll just cancel the policy anyway or notify them of his death.
    Thanks for your time guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think everyone is entitled to a bereavement grant of 1500 euro from social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

If your Dad had an account in the credit union with a minimum balance of € 200 they will contribute € 1,300 towards funeral expenses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If your father was a member of a trade union, they may provide a death benefit to help with funeral expenses, worth checking.

Here's a link to the Social Welfare bereavement grant...

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/301-Bereavement-Grant.aspx

Advertisement